Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not going to, because the reason why the WoL is a mostly blank slate is because they WANT the WoL to be a mostly blank slate that people can project whatever onto. That's the point. It's not some dumb twist, it's just a JRPG thing. :shrug:

Yeah I don’t know why so many people are ignoring this. Most of the lines about you being so silent all the time are jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ouhei posted:

Yeah I don’t know why so many people are ignoring this. Most of the lines about you being so silent all the time are jokes.

some people legit think that telegraphs are the echo telling you where not to stand :shrug:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well the echo allows some people to predict and avoid attacks. It'd be a clever way of giving story reason for gameplay contrivances.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tsukuyomi ex is a good fight imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I like most of the EXs this expansion. I'm kinda down on Seiryu because it's pretty lameass-easy and Lakshmi for the same reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UHD posted:

some people legit think that telegraphs are the echo telling you where not to stand :shrug:

they are

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Counterpoint:

The entire DRK storyline kind of explicitly dismisses this notion.

Not really?

Not knowledgeable on the 60-70 line, but

the 30-50 line ends with your dark side freaking the gently caress out because you won't stop being so benevolent. Then you stuff it back down and "accept it". If the Warrior of Light is truly tempered, this is more like the tempered WoL pushing back down the "real WoL", who tells us the whole time that the only way we can be free is to submit to darkness. If anything, it hints at the whole "becoming the Warrior of Darkness" thing of Shadowbringers, and that if we are tempered, that this is the way to break it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

UHD posted:

It is, there was even that bit where we needed a special duty action to counter resonance because it was doing the same thing.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Willias posted:

You should fix this ASAP, it's probably the best yet, and hugely relevant.

You are still a good person.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UHD posted:

There were multiple SB quests more or less demonstrating that this how it works

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm weighing if I want to use SMN or AST for the initial MSQ. I will also co-level dancer and if everything is drowned in pubs I guess perhaps I will do that first.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im leveling RDM first purely because brandishing a sword looks better than a book, staff, or astrolabe in cutscenes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

im leveling RDM first purely because brandishing a sword looks better than a book, staff, or astrolabe in cutscenes

I will be leveling a healer for the exact opposite of this reason.

Lyse's epic book duel (which she totally lost) was one of the best parts of the story.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It’s even like a level 15 duty where a wolf does a orange aoe and people watching go “How could he possibly dodge that???”

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah trying to decide between Warrior/Red Mage/Dragoon for the cut scene stuff. Not sure which I wanna go with. It's fun tanking very early in an expansion when no one knows what they are doing, but people saying to use MSQ xp for a dps does make sense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah trying to decide between Warrior/Red Mage/Dragoon for the cut scene stuff. Not sure which I wanna go with. It's fun tanking very early in an expansion when no one knows what they are doing, but people saying to use MSQ xp for a dps does make sense.

Trusts mean that you can level whatever and get through the MSQ just fine, so it's a good option. I suspect that queue time differences will become at least a little less relevant, since Trust EXP'll probably be only mildly worse in terms of time spent compared to a full party of players.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Final Fantasy XIV: Motherfuckers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Willias posted:

Not really?

the 30-50 line ends with your dark side freaking the gently caress out because you won't stop being so benevolent. Then you stuff it back down and "accept it". If the Warrior of Light is truly tempered, this is more like the tempered WoL pushing back down the "real WoL", who tells us the whole time that the only way we can be free is to submit to darkness. If anything, it hints at the whole "becoming the Warrior of Darkness" thing of Shadowbringers, and that if we are tempered, that this is the way to break it.

You completely misunderstood the themes and messaging of Dark Knight.

Fray is just your incarnate resentment at putting everyone else’s needs before your own. The resolution is that Fray ultimately represents an unhealthy reactionary response but he’s ALSO not wrong that you need to tend to yourself more. The moral of DRK isn’t to ignore Fray but to moderate what he represents, to achieve a more healthy work/life balance.

A tempered person would have no such internal quandaries.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SirSamVimes posted:

i really love the sound cues for nightfall and for snakes on seiryu ex. positioning for mechanics when listening without looking is just satisfying.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A tempered person would have no such internal quandaries.

There's no clear indication given as to whether tempering completely wipes out the original personality or if there's an "internal person" who's constantly scrabbling to get out. Recall that Louisoux, in his final moments, gets out of Bahamut's control, and is completely aware of what he was doing and thankful to live out the last moments of his life as himself. He might've been a special case... but so are you.

edit: Actually, come to think of it, Nael also regains their sanity on the brink of death, so there's a very real possibility that no tempering is truly permanent and overriding, just drat hard to break.

Minrad posted:

i really love the sound cues for nightfall and for snakes on seiryu ex. positioning for mechanics when listening without looking is just satisfying.

I've brought it up a dozen times or so, but I fell in love with Ravana Ex on HW's initial release when I realized that his phase 2 music synced up perfectly with his actions. I eventually got a feel for Blinding Blade timings off of musical cues alone. The aesthetic work they do for this game is staggeringly good.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 12, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I can't believe Crystal Mom tempered me so she could force me to make a banquet in my own honor for no reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ImpAtom posted:

I will be leveling a healer for the exact opposite of this reason.

Lyse's epic book duel (which she totally lost) was one of the best parts of the story.

"Please, show these broken men your dramatic victory pose."
(Scribbles something down in a book, nods)
"HOLY poo poo THAT WAS SO INSPIRING!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, so for all of the people who think the WOL is tempered: how is that actually meaningful? Let's say it's true, and at some point later you become untempered. How would you be any different than how you are now?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so for all of the people who think the WOL is tempered: how is that actually meaningful? Let's say it's true, and at some point later you become untempered. How would you be any different than how you are now?

Well, the Lakshmi fight would be real quick, for one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Think of the obverse: is someone who commits crimes while mentally ill ultimately responsible for their actions? Does what they have done make them a "bad person"? How, after treatment, should they contextualize themselves?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think the Crystal Tower on the First has been sealed shut for hundreds of years like ours? People are probably going to freak out when the door opens one day and we walk out and immediately start killing everything.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rhonne posted:

You think the Crystal Tower on the First has been sealed shut for hundreds of years like ours? People are probably going to freak out when the door opens one day and we walk out and immediately start killing everything.

Yeah it's totally going to rule.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vermain posted:

Think of the obverse: is someone who commits crimes while mentally ill ultimately responsible for their actions? Does what they have done make them a "bad person"? How, after treatment, should they contextualize themselves?

Yeah dude we're playing an MMORPG here not Planescape Torment. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Bioshock can play with that kind of theme. Singleplayer RPGs can play with that kind of theme. An MMO can do nothing meaningful or useful with that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I kind of wanted to play though the story as RDM, but then I remembered that Alisaie will be there and I can't have two RDMs showing up in cutscenes! Everyone has to be different jobs! I'll probably just stick with SAM, I doubt we're bringing any more of those to the First.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is the trust system single player only or can you mix it? (like two human players and fill the rest with npcs)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is the trust system single player only or can you mix it? (like two human players and fill the rest with npcs)

Single player only.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah dude we're playing an MMORPG here not Planescape Torment. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Bioshock can play with that kind of theme. Singleplayer RPGs can play with that kind of theme. An MMO can do nothing meaningful or useful with that.

What is the quality intrinsic to an MMO as a medium that prevents it from dealing with subjects like existentialism and identity in its narrative?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if the Crystal Tower on the First has even been there for hundreds of years

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

What is the quality intrinsic to an MMO as a medium that prevents it from dealing with subjects like existentialism and identity in its narrative?

I can't wait for the Yoko Taro raid!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vermain posted:

The fact that the answer to “aha you were on rails with no real choice in the matter the whole time!” is “no poo poo”.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

They already did that story with friggin' Thancred, and it sucked. What was even the point of him getting mind controlled?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i cant wait to break free of crystalmoms control so i can go kill gods even if i dont have to

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So have they explained how the New Game+ stuff is going to work? Will I be able to replay any quest in the game? Can I use it to level up my other jobs?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Captain Cappy posted:

They already did that story with friggin' Thancred, and it sucked. What was even the point of him getting mind controlled?

To undermine the efforts the Scions were making with dealing with the Primals in Eorzea, so that Gaius would be able to sweep in with Ultima Weapon and save the "Savages".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rhonne posted:

Didn't they mention that it showed up recently? Like, within the last 100 years?

And wasn't there mention of 100 years or something in the recent trailer? What if we were trying to go to the First when poo poo went bad initially, that establish the Crystal Tower in that world, then we actually hosed up and arrived 100 years too late so there's been a city risen up around the Crystal Tower we created 100 years ago?