Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wasn't New Blood supposed to announce a game today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Wasn't New Blood supposed to announce a game today?
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1138137027789017088

And then a particularly large hint was dropped:
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1138166661347811328

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Quick PSA that http://www.netquake.io/ is ridiculous in a good way.

This is "Quake in a web browser" which has been done before in various proof-of-concept ways. But also you can upload your pak1.pak to play the full registered game. (Which it then remembers, using the fancy HTML5 local web storage stuff I assume.) And you can manually replace or edit config.cfg and autoexec.cfg if you want. And automatically browse/play custom maps from Quaddicted.

It looks like you can browse multiplayer servers and connect to games as well, tho I haven't tried that yet.

Framerate seems to be pegged at 60 FPS (checking with a MacBook Pro here).

The Quaddicted interaction isn't fully baked yet when it comes to handling dependencies like Quoth, but for a "vanilla" custom map it's super slick. And the developer is still working on it. It would be quite cool if this turned into a 1-click way to play the latest Quake map release.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Would it be an announcement if it was put on Steam the past year?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/853770/MAXIMUM_Action/

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

About the previous Halo talk, which ones are the ones with a good campaign? I only played Halo 1 years ago.

1: Pretty good. The exploration, pitched battles, vehicle sections, enemy AI, and certain levels have aged really gracefully. Repetitive levels that will make you play a long level once, then backtrack through it, then play it again later in the game have not aged well, however.

2: Solid first half, really "meh" second half. It begins with some fun battles on Earth, then makes you go into space where you see less and less humans at your side. Main story is still kind of dull with one of the most anti-climactic boss fights and endings I can remember in such a popular game.

3: Good the whole way through, is fantastic done in co-op on higher difficulties. The set-pieces are good throughout without the boring second half that these games sometimes get.

ODST: Really, really good. It goes back and forth between solo, creepy-ish sections where you explore a city, to flashback sections that have you fight in large-scale battles. Dialogue is sort of well-written, but can be Whedon-y in that most characters talk like they're the same person.

Reach: Also very good. Well-paced like ODST with a cool escalation of its conflict. It actually feels like kind of a real alien military invasion. I like Reach and ODST a lot because they put you into common soldiers' boots outside of world-ending macguffins to smaller plotlines that can still remain interesting.

Halo 4: Some really super fun missions in the first half, turns into Mass Effect-inspired nonsense in a boring final third or so. It's full of some of the most laughably bad "We must bring The Conduit to The Patriarch in order to halt The Sentinels' plan called The Absolution" science-fantasy cliches I think I've ever heard. Which sucks, because the B plot that gets less attention is a million times more interesting. Halo 3 kind of ended the Flood crisis and wrote the covenant out of being antagonists, so they needed to make a new enemy, and they're just kind of dull past-future robots that look like energy balls surrounded by metal shards.

Halo 5: Pretty much universally hated. The story is really up its own rear end with lots of plot holes, and the game gets into CoD mechanics with sprinting, ADS, and some of the most obtrusive hit markers I think I've ever seen. I can't remember more than like two moments in the actual gameplay sections of the game.

Halo Wars 1 and 2 (if you're interested): I don't like these that much, but most people seem to like them. They're those types of RTSes where you can blow through them if you just sit in your base building up your unit cap, then steam-rolling the whole map. The second one has MMO-style mega-bosses that you're supposed to hit-and-run against that I really hate fighting.

never played the top-down shooters

I would recommend playing through the games in release order rather than canonical chronological order. If you don't, then at best you're like "I bet I can't appreciate this since I didn't play the game it wants me to acknowledge" to at worst being "This is loving nonsense. I don't know what anyone is talking about. Why is that floating blue ball so mad at everyone?"

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 10, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The second half of Halo 2 is fine, except for the fact that it doesn’t have an ending. Gravemind is the best indoor level in the series for my money. The worst part of 2 is the first four Arbiter levels — the first two where you hunt the Heretic are ok but gently caress ugly, but the next two where you’re going after the index are just terrible.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Would it be an announcement if it was put on Steam the past year?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/853770/MAXIMUM_Action/

He posted a link to that game and rapidly deleted it, so probably yeah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yup new blood picked up maximum action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-piOsWDtsfA

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That's awesome news because the early access version was super fun, but also only about 30 minutes' worth of content, and the solo dev really struggled to find time to work on it (it was a single student's passion project IIRC). This'll hopefully mean the game gets finished within a reasonably fast timeframe, and that the final result is high quality.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think that the doom slayer is canonically doom guy, from 1, 2, and 64. the quake champions lore posts suggest that and the quake champions lore is considered canon by id

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Actually, yeah, that's a good fit.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
That's what I figured. They say time works weird in hell, and at the end of 64 he's murdering demons for eternity there. Along the way he found a nice little town, started the local neighborhood watch, and settled down with some kids right up until Hell came and hosed it all up. Then he's right back on his murder rampage poo poo with some brand new armor until the demons realize they can't kill The Doom Slayer, only lock his rear end up.

That's how it all went down and I'm stickin' to it :colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

yeah i think different earth dimensions connect to the same hell dimension

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing DUSK on CM and want to use the Level Select to find the secret map for E1. Does the loadout thing just not work or something? Because I'm spawning with just the sickles.

E: Oh, nevermind, I figured it out, am an idiot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Playing DUSK on CM and want to use the Level Select to find the secret map for E1. Does the loadout thing just not work or something? Because I'm spawning with just the sickles.

E: Oh, nevermind, I figured it out, am an idiot.

No I agree, I don't think it's an intuitive implementation. It can be weirdly unclear whether or not you've actually selected the weapons to spawn with, and I feel like I have to relearn how to get it working after a hiatus.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

site posted:

soooo, sunder got an update

holy gently caress!!!!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This is great, the rough origonal release was interesting only as a demo, hope we can get some solid gameplay for it now.

There was a weird thing that happened today, remember the doom mod with the bad modern graphics? Well it get C&D'd by ZeniMax
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/4129-doom-remake-4-fan-game-shut-down-by-zenimax-legal-team/

It's back up now after the necessary changes were made to it.
As far as I can tell it happened because it ran stand-alone with freedoom and had doom and doom remake as it's title not because it was using modified doom assets so it shouldn't worry other modders (there are other standalone mods that use modified doom assets even on other opensource engines) I hope.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flannelette posted:

There was a weird thing that happened today, remember the doom mod with the bad modern graphics? Well it get C&D'd by ZeniMax
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/4129-doom-remake-4-fan-game-shut-down-by-zenimax-legal-team/

It's back up now after the necessary changes were made to it.
As far as I can tell it happened because it ran stand-alone with freedoom and had doom and doom remake as it's title not because it was using modified doom assets so it shouldn't worry other modders (there are other standalone mods that use modified doom assets even on other opensource engines) I hope.
It'll worry other modders in that Doom Remake was made entirely out of other people's mods, and now that can continue.

Zenimax occasionally get their legal knives out against fan stuff, but they tend to be a little more lenient than, say, Nintendo, in that they generally provide ways out that leave everyone reasonably happy (ie. renaming DoomRL to DRL, asking Sgt. Mark to not explicitly say his Patreon is for Doom modding, even if it is).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's not for Sgt. Mark's wise opinions?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

It's not for Sgt. Mark's wise opinions?

Zenimax lawyers don't care about that. They care about the coin and rights.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
doomguy killed demons in hell until the end of time, then the universe ended, a new universe started and he got busy killing the demons in that hell for a few billion years until the new universe evolved a UAC of its own

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
REally happy for the Maximum Action dev. It's a neat title that deserves proper support. I like jumping into it for 5 or 10 minutes to recreate the hallway sequence from Hard Boiled. One of the goons even looks like Mad Dog :D

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

John Romero next game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqC0Pp6V6oc

(it isn't exactly ontopic)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think that the return to classic monster designs and the advanced stage of destruction on Mars and Earth, doomy turtle might be taking place in the original universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1138522919825498113

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

finally got around to completing the second secret map, anagnorisis, in eviternity, which i had on a separate save since they start you with nothing to begin with and it's a trial in itself

the map itself is gorgeous and sprawling. i never felt like i was truly lost, though. there were usually 'paths' to figure out and follow that weren't really hidden by any means, and it felt like i could have taken more than a few ways through the place to get the three keys and end up at the final segment (which is probably pretty obvious as to what part of the map that is). only killed over 99% of the over 1300 monsters in the level but i couldn't be bothered to find where the last 30 or so were hiding out in. the final encounter was tense as gently caress and i'm grateful for my bfg equivalent.

sure as hell was draining, though

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah that map took me forever to finish too. Eviternity was great but MAP32 is too much of a slog for me to want to play that one again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah that map took me forever to finish too. Eviternity was great but MAP32 is too much of a slog for me to want to play that one again.

you know? i would also be perfectly fine never playing it again. it sure was something, but god, some things only need to be seen once.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even the second time around, the introduction of Wendigos is freaky as hell. DUSK has some remarkably effective horror beats.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 12, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Even the second time around, the introduction of Wendigo's is freaky as hell. DUSK really has some remarkably effective horror moments.

I kind of wish that I hadn't been spoiled on the "Horror" enemy, because I feel like that particular reveal would have been really effective going in blind for the first time. Hell, it was still pretty freaky.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Johnny Joestar posted:

finally got around to completing the second secret map, anagnorisis, in eviternity, which i had on a separate save since they start you with nothing to begin with and it's a trial in itself

the map itself is gorgeous and sprawling. i never felt like i was truly lost, though. there were usually 'paths' to figure out and follow that weren't really hidden by any means, and it felt like i could have taken more than a few ways through the place to get the three keys and end up at the final segment (which is probably pretty obvious as to what part of the map that is). only killed over 99% of the over 1300 monsters in the level but i couldn't be bothered to find where the last 30 or so were hiding out in. the final encounter was tense as gently caress and i'm grateful for my bfg equivalent.

yeah, I just played this map for the second time yesterday on UV with a slighty modified weapon set, and I was done with the map after doing about half of it; so I cheated in the keys and ran to the exit.
It's basically 5 to 6 regular maps stapled together, and instead of each section leading to an exit they lead to a key. insane. Absolutely gorgeous and still fun to play tho.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
Hi, I'm a big dumb idiot who can't seem to figure it out on my own, is it possible to run Quake 1.5 with the missions packs or Arcane Dimensions or is that just a no-go?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

"of the over 1300 monsters in the level"

You know what, that level is big, but isn't biiig, 1300 monsters in that map had to be a carnage. At least when I complained the 1200 monster map of Avactor, the map was huge.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Turin Turambar posted:

"of the over 1300 monsters in the level"

You know what, that level is big, but isn't biiig, 1300 monsters in that map had to be a carnage. At least when I complained the 1200 monster map of Avactor, the map was huge.

honestly about 200 of them were probably the clumps of imps on the cliffs surrounding the level and at times they would do something goofy like throw 50 or so zombie soldiers at you down at the end of a big hallway. it was a good amount and things were definitely jammed a bit full, but it wasn't an absolute clusterfuck at all times.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Doormat posted:

Hi, I'm a big dumb idiot who can't seem to figure it out on my own, is it possible to run Quake 1.5 with the missions packs or Arcane Dimensions or is that just a no-go?

i think you can do it via the custom level option when you start a new game? havent tested it tho. but since you mentioned it, i am also a big dumb idiot and i got a question too, i just started quake 1.5 and i cant get into the first episode, the entry way is changed and the jump is too high, no one else seems to mention it on the mod db page and the video i saw shows a dude just climbing a ladder into the slipgate and but i dont have any ladder, do i have to shoot something to turn it on or is my install bugged?

edit: noclipped it and uhh alot seems very very bugged. finished the 2nd level by just walking through the half open silver key door. must not have installed it right, not sure how that happens.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 12, 2019

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Doormat posted:

No, Quake 1.5 includes a gameplay mod and therefore cannot be smooshed together with another gameplay mod like AD or the missionpacks.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think you can do it via the custom level option when you start a new game? havent tested it tho. but since you mentioned it, i am also a big dumb idiot and i got a question too, i just started quake 1.5 and i cant get into the first episode, the entry way is changed and the jump is too high, no one else seems to mention it on the mod db page and the video i saw shows a dude just climbing a ladder into the slipgate and but i dont have any ladder, do i have to shoot something to turn it on or is my install bugged?

edit: noclipped it and uhh alot seems very very bugged. finished the 2nd level by just walking through the half open silver key door. must not have installed it right, not sure how that happens.

Are you using the version of the dark places engine it came with? It seems very picky about that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

REDjackeT posted:

Are you using the version of the dark places engine it came with? It seems very picky about that.

yeah, i sorted it out now tho, i was just moving around just the id1 folder like i did for quakespasm & qbism (edit: now that i think about it, it was probably a quakespasm config in the folder loving things up? forgetting how alot of this works), decided to copy over the whole OG install folder instead and put darkplaces over that and it works now, also moved it to the main directory rather than a few subfolders deep just in case.

havent played too much of it yet but looking forward to blasting through all 4 eps again with 1.5 running, seems like it might be a fun time from what i've played. hoping it works on episode 5 but i doubt it.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 12, 2019

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

hoping it works on episode 5 but i doubt it.

The machine games one? I think that's just levels so it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Johnny Joestar posted:

Anagnorsis was nice too but I thought some of the paths were a little unintuitive. The imp ledges from yellow switch to green bridge area I didn't notice at all and I only twigged to it approaching the other way from the uh, area you go upstairs to from a megasphere that has three staircases dropping down after the switch you press past two Archviles. I also couldn't suss out how to open the door to the last green switch overlooking the bridge (my brain was fairly worn out by that point) so noclipped it.

The part I didn't really like though was the yellow key hallway with the Archviles. It was just kind of onerous stepping in and out of the sliver of column hidden from both windows while I slowly ground down the swarm with rockets. It might have been better if it didn't also have the Revenants periodically being resurrected and eating rockets meant for Archviles.