Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the new interview makes me realize it's kinda extra lovely that hrothgar hairstyles are tied to faces. in order to put out new hairstyles for them, they'll have to add new "faces" in the future, so if a hrothgar player ever wants to get a haircut they have to pony up $10 for a full fantasia lmao this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sharkopath posted:

The DRK quest is bad because I never get tired of helping folk out with small problems.

I did every sidequest for a reason.

The DRK quests are actually good because they leave room for you to feel that way :ssh:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Kaubocks posted:

the new interview makes me realize it's kinda extra lovely that hrothgar hairstyles are tied to faces. in order to put out new hairstyles for them, they'll have to add new "faces" in the future, so if a hrothgar player ever wants to get a haircut they have to pony up $10 for a full fantasia lmao this sucks

Not going to lie, either that is insanely incompetent on Square's part or hilariously evil. Either way its bullshit. Mogstation is already criminal as hell in a subscription based game.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah, I was thinking it might be a problem in the same way that headgear was a problem. That is, I mean, a matter of dev time. But if it's really that the hairstyles are attached to the body/face geometry, that's a real wtf moment for me.

edit: Also now, instead of making one hairstyle that can be used by all races, they also have to make stuff for each of the new races, it's just mind-boggling.
This must be due to some very weird and specific technical issue that we don't know about co's I can't possibly imagine anyone creating this much headache for themselves on purpose.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 12, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Talkc posted:

Not going to lie, either that is insanely incompetent on Square's part or hilariously evil. Either way its bullshit. Mogstation is already criminal as hell in a subscription based game.

Or the asthetician will be able to change Hrothgar faces.

WoW did a similar thing where the barber shop could change worgen skin color since that was tied to your fur.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pigbottom posted:

This must be due to some very weird and specific technical issue that we don't know about co's I can't possibly imagine anyone creating this much headache for themselves on purpose.

It's just because the various Hrothgar faces have different overall facial structures, which means that the meshes they use for hairstyles have to attach and warp differently for each individual Hrothgar face. Tying hairstyles to individual faces obviates this, but it also means that you're stuck with only a few styles per face.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Its not actually hair, hrothgars just have very weird skin growths that happen to look like hair and cutting it would be very painful to them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vermain posted:

It's just because the various Hrothgar faces have different overall facial structures, which means that the meshes they use for hairstyles have to attach and warp differently for each individual Hrothgar face. Tying hairstyles to individual faces obviates this, but it also means that you're stuck with only a few styles per face.

Yeah it's another side effect of Viera and Hrothgar having vastly different head structures than every other race in the game

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Xalidur posted:

I thought Dragoon was the best melee DPS, and it was the first one I got to 70 (after all three tanks), but I started playing Samurai again and now I'm so confused.

I mained DRG in HW, then switched to SAM when Raubahn EX hit. Looked back once, when I wanted the DRG set from Rabanastre. Went back to SAM afterwards. It's a real good class.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And I'm just wanting to do Monk because in this crazy fantasy world we uppercut our problems

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I am planning on jumping in for the first time when the new expansion releases. Does anyone know if I pre-purchase the complete version that I get access to the old games right away or if I have to wait for the 2nd? The store page makes it sound like I wouldn’t get access to any of it until the 2nd which seems strange.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You wont have acess to all the other expansions until the 2nd at latest. Maybe the 28th because that's when early access to shadowbringers starts but I don't think so.

Edit: so a thought occurred to me and I went and took a look at both previous expansion launch trailers, and both used excerpts from the final boss music in the trailer. I'm looking forward to finding out what it was later, or if they broke pattern this time.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 12, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

The DRK quests are actually good because they leave room for you to feel that way :ssh:

I reject even the shadow of doubt, fetch quests forever.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kurieg posted:

WoW did a similar thing where the barber shop could change worgen skin color since that was tied to your fur.

Hrothgar have four unique faces and each face has two hairstyles so they may offer a face change or just the ability to change hairstyles that are tied to the same face.

Like if you have Coeurlstacheface, there are two different haircuts you can get at creation. Perhaps you'll be able to swap between just those two at Jandelaine.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Khimaris were a mistake with how 14 character models work. Veira less so.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah, I was thinking it might be a problem in the same way that headgear was a problem. That is, I mean, a matter of dev time. But if it's really that the hairstyles are attached to the body/face geometry, that's a real wtf moment for me.

edit: Also now, instead of making one hairstyle that can be used by all races, they also have to make stuff for each of the new races, it's just mind-boggling.

Yeah, I'm really curious how they're going to handle adding new hair styles in the future since we usually get a handful over the course of an expansion. Are they going to do an every other patch thing where one patch adds new hair for the Viera and the Hrothgar and the next patch is hair for the other races or what?

Kurieg posted:

The barber shops in WoW can now change your skin color and faces. Pretty much the only thing they can't change now is race and gender.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Talkc posted:

The pretty princess dress up stuff is super overpriced, even though it looks good as hell and some pieces are almost essential for glams.

Items like Phantasia should not be something they charge for, period. I don't think the price is outrageous, but I also don't feel like that poo poo should be a pay for feature as you said in a sub based game.. But, its guaranteed easy money so here we are. This is not a FFXIV specific thing either. No game should charge for it IMO. I also feel the same about server transfers, though I kinda get it's a stopgate for certain nefarious activities.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IMO it would be nice if there was a way to earn a form of in-game currency to use to pay for cash shop items, but them's the breaks. :shrug:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

DizzyBum posted:

IMO it would be nice if there was a way to earn a form of in-game currency to use to pay for cash shop items, but them's the breaks. :shrug:

<one finger of the monkey paw curls>

In-game currency now available to buy cash-shop items.

Currency only obtainable as rewards from Diadem and Eureka activities.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Oh wow that final movie of patch 4.4

Just 5 more ilevels for 360 so I can do that dungeon of 4.5. I'll probably do the whole 4.5 and 4.56 in one go when I reach 360. It's probably going to be bonkers and I'll be hyped for ShB

Also decided that I'll do dragoon first to 80 followed by either an astrologian or gunbreaker. My warrior is already 70 but why swing an axe when you can shoot with a blade

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Martin BadClixx posted:

Oh wow that final movie of patch 4.4

Just 5 more ilevels for 360 so I can do that dungeon of 4.5. I'll probably do the whole 4.5 and 4.56 in one go when I reach 360. It's probably going to be bonkers and I'll be hyped for ShB

4.56 is really quick.

It's also really good.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I hope Rowena just shows up in the First and it's never fully explained how she got there.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Leofish posted:

I hope Rowena just shows up in the First and it's never fully explained how she got there.

You stumble into Gerolt on the first and he explains he took out one more loan from Rowena, his largest yet, without telling her it was to fund an expedition through the crystal tower to reach a new world, one where he'll finally be free of his debts to Rowena when she never figures out where he went.

Rowena just shows up unexplained to get what she's owed

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rowena actually got to the First months ago and has already indentured several locals into running a stall for her, because one of the ten billion Allagan USB sticks you've brought her had an app for interdimensional travel saved on it.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I hope we get someone new this time, Rowena's shtick has gotten old. Gerolt didn't even attempt to have a story in Eureka either, it was just "I worked off my debts but now I have more debts oh no!"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Dialog option: "Wait, how did you get here?"
Response. :shrug: "Do you want a new sword or not?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minrad posted:

You stumble into Gerolt on the first and he explains he took out one more loan from Rowena, his largest yet, without telling her it was to fund an expedition through the crystal tower to reach a new world, one where he'll finally be free of his debts to Rowena when she never figures out where he went.

Rowena just shows up unexplained to get what she's owed

After going through the portal he crashes through one of mirror Rowena's stands and is now in debt to TWO Rowenas!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Veev posted:

I hope we get someone new this time, Rowena's shtick has gotten old. Gerolt didn't even attempt to have a story in Eureka either, it was just "I worked off my debts but now I have more debts oh no!"

His story was exactly the same quality as the looks of the Eureka weapons. :v: (Seriously they are such a massive drop compared to the amazing Anima weapons.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It was more of a Krile/Galuf/Ejika story anyway, Gerolt wasn't really involved

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
There’s an Allagan node shown in the video from the media tour exploring the crystarium which I’m guessing will have something to do with Rowena?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

we will stand triumphant against the flood of light, only to see the truly terrifying threat beyond it: rowena surfing on a flood of capitalism

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The worst part is that Mor Dhona is only a short walk from the Crystal Tower. So as soon as those gates open again Rowena will expand her empire over all the shards.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kwyndig posted:

The worst part is that Mor Dhona is only a short walk from the Crystal Tower. So as soon as those gates open again Rowena will expand her empire over all the shards.

Fortunately, Rowena has already expanded her empire all over the shards.

The best competition one could ask for.

Rowena (first shard) vs. Rowena (source)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 13, 2019

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Is there a summary somewhere of the quality of life changes for jobs? I've only been able to find info about the machinist rework but not much else, though I've seen people talk about things like rdm losing an unnecessary ability.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Are we even going to have tomestones in the First or is everything being rebranded again like race/place names? I know I'm looking forward to farming Illuminati bookrocks of cheesemake from the ancient and now extinct gobbie race, who left behind hulks of ancient machina that has never been match by anyone since.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've just learned that BLM theorycrafters have come up with a triple Despair opener. What a time to be alive.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is there a summary somewhere of the quality of life changes for jobs? I've only been able to find info about the machinist rework but not much else, though I've seen people talk about things like rdm losing an unnecessary ability.

You can only really get info about all the job changes at once, nobody did something for just QoL changes yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cabbit posted:

I've just learned that BLM theorycrafters have come up with a triple Despair opener. What a time to be alive.

When your main is the same as the game director's. :getin:

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

I got shunted to a preferred server and man, the xp bonus is real. I'm 53 and I'm just starting the 2.2 MSQ chain. I'm worried I'll hit 60 before even getting to HW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Like RDM has verholy and verflare replace verfire and veraero when it's ready so that's two less buttons. They don't have tether anymore, and impact is an aoe ability now so you don't have 2 buttons that do the same thing. Similarly Dragoons have one combo starter now. Any other jobs in specific?