Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Raiding isn't fun and they removed class sets so there's not even the vanity reason to play.

my wow sub ran out 2 days after bfa launch and oh my god i had completely forgotten they removed class sets. what a stupid, stupid thing to do. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

queeb posted:

gotta say with the almbums on spotify now, heavensward takes the cake for my favorite one. they nailed that whole expansion.

yeah. ARR has a bunch of good music, SB has a bunch too, but HW felt like it had zero bad songs

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
WoW has the best mmo combat of any game hands down, and I wish it didn’t. I try to hard to stick to FFXIV because there’s so much of it that I like, but I never really stick more than a month because combat feels like you are swimming in water. I don’t even mean the long gcd, I kind of like that because you get sick animations, but just the responsiveness of it.

At the end of the day, that combat system is what I’m interacting with the most and it drives me away from the game every time. Not to mention most classes have long, rigid rotations which are not interesting. They don’t provide interesting decision making, they’re just long which I guess people think makes them complex. Not all classes are like this, they’ve nailed ninja, sam, bard, and rdm.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

does wow let me play as a catgirl or (soon) a bunnygirl?

no?

then it can gently caress right off

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ort posted:

At the end of the day, that combat system is what I’m interacting with the most and it drives me away from the game every time. Not to mention most classes have long, rigid rotations which are not interesting. They don’t provide interesting decision making, they’re just long which I guess people think makes them complex. Not all classes are like this, they’ve nailed ninja, sam, bard, and rdm.

In my experience, BLM has an ideal rotation which you could argue is rigid, but in practice you will always have to improvise because the boss will not let you stand still and do your full rotation very often.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

UHD posted:

no?

you can play as a cowgirl, wolfgirl, or alien goatgirl.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I hated the combat system when I first played like 5 years ago. It absolutely does not put it's best foot forward and when you get synced down it is absolutely the worst. I understand they wanted to keep it simple for people who had never played an MMO, but at some point they need to go back and sprinkle in some ogcd skills and traits pre-30 because it's dire.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Firebert posted:

I hated the combat system when I first played like 5 years ago. It absolutely does not put it's best foot forward and when you get synced down it is absolutely the worst. I understand they wanted to keep it simple for people who had never played an MMO, but at some point they need to go back and sprinkle in some ogcd skills and traits pre-30 because it's dire.

Agreed - levelling BRD in early dungeons is, comparatively, a joy due to Bloodletter and Quick Nock

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Firebert posted:

To some degree this may be happening, I noticed summoner now gets fester at level 18 (in Shadowbringers), which is a big jump from where it was at 35. Given it's a rather crucial skill for SMN and it is ogcd it seems to me to be a big step forward (it's also usable more often now due to aetherflow changes). I can't speak for all classes because I haven't exhaustively compared every skill list, but as a mostly-SMN-main since 2.0 that strikes me as a big improvement.

Edit: Though now that I think about it this is probably not that helpful to brand new players since as a SMN-only skill it can't actually be used before you get your job stone, which is amusing in a bad way. Like, as an Arcanist you can use Energy Drain and get Aetherflow stacks but you can't spend them on anything until you get a job stone.

Edit2: Nope, above information was true in the media build but as of the E3 Titania build Fester is an Arcanist skill so it's good again.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 13, 2019

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I get whiplash swapping from a lvl 70 MCH or DRK to my monk that I'm leveling which at lvl 15 has like a 1-2-3 combo and a 60 second cd and can't even reach it's full potential unless someone else has aggro so I can get the positional effects!

Magil Zeal posted:

To some degree this may be happening, I noticed summoner now gets fester at level 18 (in Shadowbringers), which is a big jump from where it was at 35. Given it's a rather crucial skill for SMN and it is ogcd it seems to me to be a big step forward (it's also usable more often now due to aetherflow changes). I can't speak for all classes because I haven't exhaustively compared every skill list, but as a mostly-SMN-main since 2.0 that strikes me as a big improvement.

That's good at least, I realize that it will make later leveling boring but it's worth improving the first couple hours for a new player or when you get dropped into Haukke Manor in LDR

Firebert fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 13, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
This is so weird, FF14 thread is talking about WoW and the WoW thread is talking about FF14.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Clarste posted:

In my experience, BLM has an ideal rotation which you could argue is rigid, but in practice you will always have to improvise because the boss will not let you stand still and do your full rotation very often.

Yeah, that’s what I like about it. Of course, extensive knowledge of the fight can let you alter your CD usage to keep your rotation going, but even then you’re straying from that ideal patchwerk rotation. But the ability to grow improvisational skill is very fun.

Unfortunately, it feels to me like a lot of class guides and stuff assume you won’t get interrupted and don’t really cover how to adapt when things go wrong, in my experience. But some do and I really like those.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tormented posted:

This is so weird, FF14 thread is talking about WoW and the WoW thread is talking about FF14.

Seriously. I follow both threads and they're both talking about each other. I think it's just another sign of a lot of movement between WoW -> FFXIV lately.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tormented posted:

Took a peek, ran away immediately. Different strokes are cool & understandable but "FFXIV combat is objectively bad" doesn't welcome discussion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

UHD posted:

no?

Signs are very strongly pointing towards being able to play as a fox person in the near-ish future.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

*The fox person is basically a goblin with fur attached and different face*

Also you'll probably have to level a character to cap, then get their bullshit reputation to one step below cap and then have to go through the horror of leveling another character to cap or pay for the race change, hope its one of the classes you rolled initially or else your poo poo out of luck

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

UHD posted:

no?

*nods sagely*

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really liked WoW Legion. It leaned into themes I really dig: You lead your whole class in a war against an infamous enemy. You got to wield famous weaponry that leveled up. Factions were depreciated a bit as they loosely allied to take down an unfathomable enemy. It felt epic!

Then BfA was such a regressive return to status quo it shot me right down.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Back to FFXIV talk, I am trying so hard to like monk because I love that archetype, but I find the play style really frustrating. I feel worthless on trash packs in dungeons because I know by the time I get my buffs ramped up stuff will be dead. Having to switch for positionals so often is the extremely frustrating when enemies keep moving around, and by the time I get going, sometimes a boss just goes immune and phases.

It just feels like I am fighting the game to have fun, more than other melees. Any tips to help with this? How can I be better on trash packs beyond spamming rockbreaker with the buff that removes stance requirements? Does it ever get less frustrating to play or is monk just not for me? I’m level 53 now.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The only thing that really reduces my enjoyment of FFXIV is the east coast latency and however they handle AoE damage and hit boxes means getting hit when you are clearly out of an aoe circle happens a lot and feels bad. Yes you can adjust but it still feels bad.

I also don't like most of the dps class mechanics in this game. They feel either too punishing if you make a mistake or overly busy for no reason. But I love (at least up thru stormblood) healers in this game so whatever I can deal.

The dress up being real good is what keeps me around. So excited for another xpac worth of dress up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ort posted:

Back to FFXIV talk, I am trying so hard to like monk because I love that archetype, but I find the play style really frustrating. I feel worthless on trash packs in dungeons because I know by the time I get my buffs ramped up stuff will be dead. Having to switch for positionals so often is the extremely frustrating when enemies keep moving around, and by the time I get going, sometimes a boss just goes immune and phases.

It just feels like I am fighting the game to have fun, more than other melees. Any tips to help with this? How can I be better on trash packs beyond spamming rockbreaker with the buff that removes stance requirements? Does it ever get less frustrating to play or is monk just not for me? I’m level 53 now.

I'm at 63 and it's a blast right now. If you got 4 mobs, Arm of the Destroyer into Twin Snakes into Rockbreaker. 4 oGCDs weaving regularly in them keeps me pretty busy. Shadowbringers is adding an AoE Twin Snakes so you'll have a 3-hit aoe combo soon enough.

Only takes a few GCDs to get 3 stacks back between pulls so I don't find it that much of an issue.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

funkymonks posted:

The only thing that really reduces my enjoyment of FFXIV is the east coast latency and however they handle AoE damage and hit boxes means getting hit when you are clearly out of an aoe circle happens a lot and feels bad. Yes you can adjust but it still feels bad.

It's not latency, you're simply not leaving aoe in time. I've played from eastern europe after the servers moved and this almost never happened to me, 'east coast latency' isn't a thing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im so happy for tp to go away and I can spam the gently caress outta aoe moves. alway sa bummer running out of TP on those bigass pulls as a dragoon.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FFXIV does almost everything better but I do wish it had WoW's combat, easy transmog system (I need more slots desperately in FF), and class diversity. There's nothing as nutty as a Druid in FF or as dynamic as a feral spec in solo play.

Actually solo play I think is where WoW shines the most over FF. A mage solo has a pretty dynamic style with your blinks and freezes. A feral druid is shifting between forms and can be fun. A rogue has lots of fun tools. Tank classes can pull huge swarms and whittle them down, but with smart play most classes can take on packs too. Meanwhile in FF every job almost always fights a mob or two at a time doing the exact same rotation they do in dungeons. A ninja just sits there doing their rotation. It's boring and it is part of the reason I really hate the job quest fights. It isn't a huge deal since most of your time is in group content.

My wife thinks the biggest advantage of FF over WoW is that it's much friendlier to women. She says both in style and community WoW feels more like a boy's club they've let women join but FF seems actually designed to attract women (through a variety of ways like story, actual fashion vs just armor, and lots of non-combat gameplay). The community is certainly friendlier whether that's because what the devs have done or just because the game attracts a different crowd.

Ort posted:

I found monk pretty boring in the exact same way. I was playing boosted into the early 60s before I gave up. Dragoon and Ninja were both more interesting to play to me. YMMV as plenty of people do love Monk.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Shy posted:

It's not latency, you're simply not leaving aoe in time. I've played from eastern europe after the servers moved and this almost never happened to me, 'east coast latency' isn't a thing.

I've only just gotten to 70 but since I've started paying attention to why I'm getting hit, it's almost always from being in the aoe at the end of the cast but before any animation has happened. It still feels like it should have missed me because I wasn't in the fire or whatever, but I was definitely late on leaving the actual aoe zone

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I really liked WoW Legion. It leaned into themes I really dig: You lead your whole class in a war against an infamous enemy. You got to wield famous weaponry that leveled up. Factions were depreciated a bit as they loosely allied to take down an unfathomable enemy. It felt epic!

Then BfA was such a regressive return to status quo it shot me right down.
Yeah this is my case too. I stopped around the launch of Cataclysm but rejoined late into Legion and it was actually really fun? But then BFA was such a tedious, poorly written slog that I gave up again quickly.

WoW combat is a little more fun and a lot more accessible, but there's so much loving trash that actually doing content was just painful. And never being able to realistically experience several expansions worth of content was kind of a passive frustration as well. I'll also take the predictable tomestone gearing over the RNG bullshit of modern WoW.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Ort posted:

It looks like ShB is going to smooth things out with meditation giving greased lightning stacks, an ability to snapshot greased lightning, a proper aoe rotation, maybe some other things?

I'm also at 53 and getting form shift seems to be smoothing things out along with perfect balance every 60 seconds and true north for when I can't hit positionals.

Just doing the comboing clean is larger priority than positioning. It's rough sometimes but the class has some nice ideas and ShB will hopefully smooth out the weaknesses.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What's the main difference between WoW combat and XIV combat? I haven't played since Cata, but then it was basically press your CDs as they come up, use your resources as they fill, and fill with your spam attack.

It seems identical to XIV, but replace your spam attack with a combo or two.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Shy posted:

This is absolute nonsense. You can very clearly leave AoE before it goes off in this game and still get hit. If it's not latency then it's bad design. If your visual indicators don't work properly to convey information then somewhere something is hosed up.

Like I said of course you can adjust but it doesn't make it not feel bad. Just because you've acclimated to something due to playing on servers across an ocean doesn't make the experience good.

And latency went from 30msec to over 100msec on primal when they relocated the servers. That isn't nothing. And maybe that isn't the cause of the AoE marker issues but it certainly makes weaving ogcds harder.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I play with 180ms average in wasteland Canada, and dodging AoEs is butter smooth. I can't double weave, but every AoE I've eaten is clearly my fault.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What's the main difference between WoW combat and XIV combat? I haven't played since Cata, but then it was basically press your CDs as they come up, use your resources as they fill, and fill with your spam attack.

the most noticable difference is the length of the GCD, ffxiv's is much longer and makes everything feel slower. I think there's also fewer animation locks in WoW, as someone else mentioned.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah the GCD feels glacially slow coming from wow, but when you start getting all your ogcd's i barely notice it now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Whether or not you are in an AoE is determined entirely based on your position when the castbar finishes and not any other graphical effect. Don't know if this is what's killing you but might be handy to know if you don't already.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The main difference is WoW updates roughly seven trillion times more frequently and trusts the client more, so combat feels more responsive and for a topical example dodging AoE a second in advance means you've actually dodged it which is not always the case in 14. To actually answer your question though, WoW has a lot more complex class mechanics revolving around a lot of random procs or other things that change what you should be pressing on the fly. Encounter design also requires reactive play to things that happen. The idea of mapping out what buttons you'll press for optimal dps throughout an entire savage fight is mind boggling to someone used to WoW.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the thing that's confusing is that there's usually a delay between the big warning orange aoe disappearing in sync with the castbar completing --> the AoE damage blast. The AoE damage blast feels like that's when you should have to have moved out by, but its wrong. It's the castbar completing/AoE depletion thing. Yes, this is weird and feels bad. But it is also the way that it is.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

queeb posted:

yeah the GCD feels glacially slow coming from wow, but when you start getting all your ogcd's i barely notice it now.
Yeah it's important to remember that modern WoW has pruned as many oGCDs as possible and focuses almost entirely around on-GCD skills. In practice, at cap, I didn't find the number of actual actions taken in FFXIV that much less.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Where did they move Primal to, again? I'm on the east coast and my latency didn't change at all after the move.

Never had a problem with dodging AoE except for Titan's, but everyone's had that problem because it was designed with tight timers.

merry_trootsmas
Apr 10, 2018

Failboattootoot posted:

Whether or not you are in an AoE is determined entirely based on your position when the castbar finishes and not any other graphical effect. Don't know if this is what's killing you but might be handy to know if you don't already.

I'd like to disagree but sadly I cannot bring any proof myself, because i only made sure to make a mental note of these things happening and I forgot the specific instances. But I genuinely experienced, with a stable internet connection, AoEs from specific moves that reliably dealt damage to me even when i definitely escaped them in time, and AoEs that didn't hurt me even if i was still on my way out of them when the castbar was finished. For the latter, I could bring the Flare mechanic in LotA, but it isn't an actual orange circle in the context of AoEs we're talking about here, so it could be governed with a different mechanic/scripts altogether.

I feel like these things happened in ARR, where the mechanics are just straight up inconsistent from one dungeon to the next. I don't recall having any of these issues in current content.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14 is glacially slow when you first start. But at the end it's very fast. I mean, play NIN if you like clicking buttons fast and you'll be overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Draxion posted:

I've only just gotten to 70 but since I've started paying attention to why I'm getting hit, it's almost always from being in the aoe at the end of the cast but before any animation has happened. It still feels like it should have missed me because I wasn't in the fire or whatever, but I was definitely late on leaving the actual aoe zone

That's the one quirk you need to get used to in this game. Getting hit by an AOE is determined by standing in the marker when the cast goes off. The animation is (usually) meaningless in terms of mechanics, and in fact once the orange marker has disappeared you're perfectly safe to stand in the nuclear explosion that follows.

I had trouble with it at the start too, but once you're used to it it becomes second nature.