Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo. I think some interior bits of the car got lost in the move last year. Guess I'm gonna buy a bunch if poo poo off ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Why do so many Miatas for sale have aftermarket steering wheels?

Airbags? Who needs that poo poo? Look this steering wheel has wood on it!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Japanese versions didn't have airbags. Therefore JDM BRO is your reason.

When I replaced my steering wheel I paid a lot more to get a refurbed factory one with an airbag. Why wouldn't you want one? Plus there are custom shops that make it wood grain if you really need it for whatever reason. I got quoted at like $300 for a custom refurb so it really depends how badly you want it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elysium posted:

Why do so many Miatas for sale have aftermarket steering wheels?

Airbags? Who needs that poo poo? Look this steering wheel has wood on it!

I'd imagine its something along the lines of this.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/do-airbags-need-to-be-replaced-at-a-certain-age-245010

quote:

Exceptions
Admittedly, there are a few exceptions, but they primarily relate to older cars with airbags dating to the mid-1990s and earlier.

Older vehicles used different materials in the airbag igniter, which may wear faster over time than the material used in modern cars. This results in some older cars requiring airbag replacements after a decade or 15 years to ensure the airbag is working properly. Unfortunately, this replacement can be pricey, so most owners don't bother with it. We'd be suspicious of the airbags in some older cars if safety was a top priority.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So you can use a steering wheel that might deploy or you can get one that definitely won't. I'll still take the OE

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Or a steering wheel that will SHRED YOUR FACE OFF #justtakatathings

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I only have 6 point belts (my head can't hit the rollbar) so an airbag doesn't do much. Plus I have long legs and short arms so being able to get a smaller wheel closer to me wound up with lots more legroom.

I'd keep it if I didn't have the harness though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Coredump posted:

Or a steering wheel that will SHRED YOUR FACE OFF #justtakatathings

Well yea agreeing to use an airbag is volunteering to get punched in the face. Even with shrapnel, the alternative isn't great though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
With harnesses, you move more in the belts and they stretch more than you might think. Just because you can't touch your head to a part of the roll bar/cage sitting there strapped in doesn't mean it won't happen in a crash. And hitting something strapped into 6-points without a helmet and hans is generally not so nice on the neck.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

With harnesses, you move more in the belts and they stretch more than you might think. Just because you can't touch your head to a part of the roll bar/cage sitting there strapped in doesn't mean it won't happen in a crash. And hitting something strapped into 6-points without a helmet and hans is generally not so nice on the neck.

While this is definitely true, my seat is 3/4 up the way of my head, and the bar is padded. Only way for head contact is if the seat deformed significantly, which I know it will. And I use a hans on track, but the car is street driven to/from events. It's definitely a tradeoff - with the stock seats in the 99, the headrest ends at the top of my neck. I'm fairly confident that's worse.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We need to see photos of you in a Miata, and a video of you getting into it :v:

For science.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I looked for interior bits for the NC last year my only option was Ebay and it was pretty slim pickings and everything was expensive as hell. Well it looks like a lot of people have wrecked NCs because I just got half the parts I needed for $69 shipped. Went ahead and just bought everything in black rather than futz with painting anything else.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really need to get my steering wheel recovered in new leather (or do the wood thing)
I have always been a bit suspect in the airbag made in 1994, so I wonder if the new Mazda refurb program can provide new airbags?

What is the best way to fix slow windows? New motor?

I am getting pretty close to getting my '95 perfect, I decided to make it a total street car instead of putting in a roll bar etc to make it trackable - I figure I can just track my Tuono or get another cheap car for the track - so far my list of things to finish:

Install all the parts I bought but haven't had time to install:
KYB AGX adjustable shocks + mounts and boots
flyin miata springs
mazda comp motor mounts
full set of energy bushings (I even bought a 20 ton harbor fright hydraulic press just for this almost 2 years ago...)

Then I'd like to reupholster the seats and wheel, install an apple carplay headunit, new speakers, possibly new smaller wheels, and some new interior trim pieces.
I've already done new brakes, new carpet, full cobalt exhaust + racing beat header, and it came with an intake, mishimoto rad, and a few other goodies.

Here is mine:

This is a car I saw last year, which is basically my end goal, quality wise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Slow windows is usually just cleaning up the contacts on the switch. Greasing the slide isn’t a bad idea, either.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I did the switch contacts already when they stopped working outright, they were completely blackened. The drivers side is still painfully slow - I'll try the grease next, but I wonder if the motors can be beefed up....

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Your window slider rails or what the gently caress they're called are completely dried out/full of gunk.

Clean them out and lube them up again and they'll be like new.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Voltage posted:

I did the switch contacts already when they stopped working outright, they were completely blackened. The drivers side is still painfully slow - I'll try the grease next, but I wonder if the motors can be beefed up....

Take them out and clean them then relube them. Make sure you mark the bolts location with a permanent marker

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
MY BABY IS HOME

I still don't know how they didn't total it, as the repair bill was 2200 bucks.

But I don't care.

OK, so question- how compatible are NA and NB2 interiors? I see a '94 at auction that's got all the nice bits inside (and a much nicer top), and wonder how much of it just drops in.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Doublepost but gently caress it I'm so excited- what am I looking at here?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
everything is legos between the na and nb, you can drop a 1.6L dash into an nb with no issue

idk why you'd want a 1.8L dash though. that's a bone stock 1.8L engine bay

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GD_American posted:

MY BABY IS HOME

But I don't care.

OK, so question- how compatible are NA and NB2 interiors? I see a '94 at auction that's got all the nice bits inside (and a much nicer top), and wonder how much of it just drops in.

Called it

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GD_American posted:

MY BABY IS HOME

But I don't care.

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/blog/nb-to-na-miata-compatibility-guide/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I refreshed my interior the floor carpet was from the light tan interior Miatas and didn't fit well. I will have it but I padded out the loose spots with insulation. But I suppose if anything wouldn't fit well it would be the molded carpet.

Did the headers today to try and not roast my leg off.

Primer

Coat

Coming soon: partially heat wrapped header.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

From the news story: "The damage is estimated at about $1.5k" :v:
Both the driver and passenger survived with minor injuries, so who needs rollover protection.

I just discovered that I'm due for an inspection by the end of the month. My exhaust is leaking and the rear plate light is hosed up so I'll have some work to do this week. Does anyone know what kind of connector this is and where I can get it? The plug is all corroded inside and the positive wire just pops right out.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 22, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What do you guys think I should try to sell my 94m for?

https://imgur.com/a/FovP4OK

I've owned it since 2002 and it has seen better days. I honestly expected to keep it forever, but last year it started smoking a little bit on startup, and now it's a full blown smoke show that doesn't stop when the car warms up. I took it to two different mechanics who either thought they could fix it without opening up the engine or thought (correctly) that they could milk me for some repairs on possibly related stuff that might help, but it's worse than ever now. My research leads me to believe it either needs new valve guides/seals or new piston rings (or both). Having already spent the money on the previous repairs, I just can't justify putting more in to a car worth so little, so I bought a 2000 LS with 57k miles.

Other than rolling around like Cheech and Chong are going to town in the trunk, it actually drove pretty well, and 130k miles isn't too bad for a 94. All of the modifications were done by previous owners (chrome stuff, koni adjustables, headlights, intake, exhaust)

Good stuff:

Fairly recent new Glass window top
Driver's side seat professionally reupholstered in nice leather (pass seat has the standard seam rips)
Relatively recent new timing belt, water pump, radiator, hoses and gaskets, spark plugs, fuel system cleaned out

Bad stuff:

Needs $$$ engine work done
One wheel has permanent brake dust damage
Rust on both rockers
Big rust hole and rust damage to paint on rear panel
Has dents and scrapes on the hood, trunk, and rear quarter panel, all from people bumping into the car while it was stopped at redlights.
Radio does not work. Speakers/head unit possibly still work if hooked up correctly to amp in trunk again.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 22, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

From the news story: "The damage is estimated at about $1.5k" :v:
Both the driver and passenger survived with minor injuries, so who needs rollover protection.

I just discovered that I'm due for an inspection by the end of the month. My exhaust is leaking and the rear plate light is hosed up so I'll have some work to do this week. Does anyone know what kind of connector this is and where I can get it? The plug is all corroded inside and the positive wire just pops right out.

What does an exocet kit cost?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Elysium posted:

I've owned it since 2002 and it has seen better days. I honestly expected to keep it forever, but last year it started smoking a little bit on startup, and now it's a full blown smoke show that doesn't stop when the car warms up. I took it to two different mechanics who either thought they could fix it without opening up the engine or thought (correctly) that they could milk me for some repairs on possibly related stuff that might help, but it's worse than ever now. My research leads me to believe it either needs new valve guides/seals or new piston rings (or both). Having already spent the money on the previous repairs, I just can't justify putting more in to a car worth so little, so I bought a 2000 LS with 57k miles.

Other than rolling around like Cheech and Chong are going to town in the trunk, it actually drove pretty well, and 130k miles isn't too bad for a 94. All of the modifications were done by previous owners (chrome stuff, koni adjustables, headlights, intake, exhaust)

Good stuff:

Driver's side seat professionally reupholstered in nice leather (pass seat has the standard seam rips)
Relatively recent new timing belt, water pump, radiator, hoses and gaskets, spark plugs, fuel system cleaned out

Bad stuff:

Rust on both rockers
Has dents and scrapes on the hood, trunk, and rear quarter panel, all from people bumping into the car while it was stopped at redlights.
Radio does not work. Speakers/head unit possibly still work if hooked up correctly to amp in trunk again.

$2300

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elysium posted:

List it for 2k and take the first offer above 1500 imo.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Suburban Dad posted:

List it for 2k and take the first offer above 1500 imo.

This. Region matters a lot as well. I wouldn't pay much more than 1k for that in NC with the rust.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Looking for an NB2 (painfully rare in my neck of the woods)
Here are the first three I checked out, driver side forward of the rear wheel - each one claimed to be winter stored "no rust"

I'm guessing this is going to be a theme, is this a fatal as the miata.net forums suggest?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Elysium posted:

Good stuff:

Bad stuff:

Rust on both rockers

Where are you located?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Voltage posted:

Where are you located?

Near Philly

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just drive one in from somewhere else or keep looking. This is the wrong time of year to try and buy one though for salt climates. People don't store them all winter then sell them, those people sell in the fall.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Niven posted:

Here are the first three I checked out, driver side forward of the rear wheel - each one claimed to be winter stored "no rust"

I'm guessing this is going to be a theme, is this a fatal as the miata.net forums suggest?

Don't forget to look in the jack area in the trunk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Niven posted:

That's about what mine looks like now :(

If you really can't find a rust free one, just factor the repair cost and bargain with the seller. It's a very common issue as you can see with a known solution.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I'm going to look at another one tomorrow - owner doesn't have it listed yet but pictures look good and only 77,000 km on it. One concern though it has the (factory I think?) side skirts which will cover up signs of rust - any hints on how I could look for signs of trouble without removing the skirts which I obviously can't do.

I'm also confused by the options:
- Factory body kit
- 6 speed
- ABS
- Cloth Seats?
- Door tweeters
- No hard top

I thought ABS was only available on the LS suspension package (https://www.miata.net/faq/america/2001.htm)? Or maybe this was a different Canadian trim

Fingers crossed

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how to read ABS codes on an NC, my friend bought a PHRT 3.5 and on the drive back the ABS/Traction control light would pop up. It would dissapear when you turned off the engine, but then it would randomly appear again.

Made a 9 hour drive slightly more annoying because it would kick me out of cruise control randomly for hours until we'd stop. I'm assuming it's going to be a sensor issue?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

Does anyone know how to read ABS codes on an NC, my friend bought a PHRT 3.5 and on the drive back the ABS/Traction control light would pop up. It would dissapear when you turned off the engine, but then it would randomly appear again.

Made a 9 hour drive slightly more annoying because it would kick me out of cruise control randomly for hours until we'd stop. I'm assuming it's going to be a sensor issue?

Abs code readers aren't as cheap or common as obd readers yet. Unusually light is caused by a wheel sensor, occasionally because one tire is low on air (especially if the car has pressure monitoring). Check tire pressures, wheel speed sensor connections and conditions to start.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bought a salvage '94 to cannibalize . Grabbing the top, the carpeting, seats and wheels. Anyone looking for an engine?

https://www.copart.com/lot/32782839

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Legit looking 10AE for sale in the DMV: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/alexandria-1999-mazda-miata-10th-anniv/6919454857.html