Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So how's the zone after Pyros? Does it, too, have hundreds of thousands of monsters all grouped together that requires you to precision maneuver between them to get to a fate that's 20 levels below them? I don't think the designers responsible for monster placement in Pyros understand anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

So how's the zone after Pyros? Does it, too, have hundreds of thousands of monsters all grouped together that requires you to precision maneuver between them to get to a fate that's 20 levels below them? I don't think the designers responsible for monster placement in Pyros understand anything.
Its a rectangle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Nope. Hydratos is huge and wide open and has basically no roadblocks at all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So afte rnearly two years away, I resubbed recently to prep for Shadowbringers coming out, but I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything once I finished the 4.56 MSQ stuff. I haven't touched the side stuff, unlocked all the rest of the 4.X dungeons and trails, the 24 man raids... Hell, I haven't even started the 4.X Hildibrand stuff.

I kinda of want to poke into Eureka crap for a handful of the cosmetic stuff (mostly the FFXI gear and maybe dyable RDM AF and the RDM weapon) but ugh, I hear all kinds of crap about it, and soon it'll all be obsolete anyways (but at the same time, soon it'll probably be much harder to do because much fewer people will be interested).

Not sure where I'm going with this, just moping and complaining I guess. I should've resubbed sooner so most of this stuff didn't feel like its soon to be pointless.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 14, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WHAT THE gently caress :supaburn:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So afte rnearly two years away, I resubbed recently to prep for Shadowbringers coming out, but I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything once I finished the 4.56 MSQ stuff. I haven't touched the side stuff, unlocked all the rest of the 4.X dungeons and trails, the 24 man raids... Hell, I haven't even started the 4.X Hildibrand stuff.

I kinda of want to poke into Eureka crap for a handful of the cosmetic stuff (mostly the FFXI gear and maybe dyable RDM AF and the RDM weapon) but ugh, I hear all kinds of crap about it, and soon it'll all be obsolete anyways (but at the same time, soon it'll probably be much harder to do because much fewer people will be interested).

Not sure where I'm going with this, just moping and complaining I guess. I should've resubbed sooner so most of this stuff didn't feel like its soon to be pointless.

You're still going to end up doing that content in roulettes, may as well unlock it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Also the SB alliance raids are dope. Orbonne is fun as hell and well worth unlocking.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Galaga Galaxian posted:

SB Hildibrand is pretty good and ends extremely strong

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

isk posted:

IF I COULD loving GET A GODDAMN GROUP TO DO KUGANE OHASHI.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

isk posted:

I like the Hildibrand fights but the problem is I just don't care for the Hildibrand quests. So i won't be doing the big bad yojimbo fight.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

isk posted:

God I love that final fight. (SB Hildi spoiler)"For Yojimbo... It is Gilgameshing time!" was amazing and I never not laugh when I see it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do Coil and Crystal Tower anyways cause they still hold up and are good. Alexander is also cool in a different way, and Omegascape is also really cool and surprisingly has a real good end for what seemed like nostalgia trip of classic FF bosses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Try putting up a PF.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

For post-50 Job Quests, do you need to reach HW content or is there a point in the transitional filler where they become available? I'm creeping up on 54 WHM and it's be nice to get Stone III and whatever Lilies do but I have no idea if I'm just hosed on that until I get farther along. I just dealt with King Moogle and I'm enjoying the story well enough to want to get on with it at least. Kinda starting to get antsy about how much poo poo there's left to deal with before the game stops vamping, but what can you do?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can't get your HW skills until you get to the HW content, no.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

rantmo posted:

For post-50 Job Quests, do you need to reach HW content or is there a point in the transitional filler where they become available? I'm creeping up on 54 WHM and it's be nice to get Stone III and whatever Lilies do but I have no idea if I'm just hosed on that until I get farther along. I just dealt with King Moogle and I'm enjoying the story well enough to want to get on with it at least. Kinda starting to get antsy about how much poo poo there's left to deal with before the game stops vamping, but what can you do?

You're literally in the worst part of the MSQ. 2.x content really drags on for far too long.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My mind is honestly blown that there weren't 7 goons across the three FCs who would join in for Kugane Ohashi.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 14, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i moved to excal when the server split and i still havent seen a single person with a goon fc tag

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

i moved to excal when the server split and i still havent seen a single person with a goon fc tag
they change like every other day, you probably have but didn't realize it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TUPAC represent

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So if someone wanted to play the game just for the story, what's their option? What's the least effort route to gear? Is it your friends buy you crafted stuff?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

So if someone wanted to play the game just for the story, what's their option? What's the least effort route to gear? Is it your friends buy you crafted stuff?
When people I know hit 50/60 I usually just offer to run over to the expansion zones and buy some white vendor gear, and then at 70 yeah crafted rakshasa is pretty cheap right now. That won't really be an option when ShB comes out though

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jimbot posted:

You know you can just walk past the wasps/scorpion things since they're sound aggro. Same with the Tree Elementals, and I think the angler fish by the forge?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

The MSQ will continually give you HQ leveling gear on your first job, and you're also given a coffer of left hand side equipment when you hit 50 and 60. Starting at 50 you'll earn a currency (poetics tomestones) which lets you get i130 gear at level 50 and i270 gear at level 60. You won't have to worry about gear until partway through the level 70 content, and then there are easy ways to gear up to the level you need to finish everything. Don't worry about crafted gear until you start leveling secondary jobs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Allarion posted:

Do Coil and Crystal Tower anyways cause they still hold up and are good. Alexander is also cool in a different way, and Omegascape is also really cool and surprisingly has a real good end for what seemed like nostalgia trip of classic FF bosses.

I've done that stuff, except most of Omega. Basically I quit a month or two after Stormblood came out and despite intending to resub every once in a while, I ended up not. So its just 4.1-4.56 stuff (Besides MSQ) I haven't really done.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Do the rest of Omega then.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm kinda curious how parts of the Ivalice raid stories play out if you are playing a viera; they seem to assume you know nothing about viera culture.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

jalapeno_dude posted:

The MSQ will continually give you HQ leveling gear on your first job, and you're also given a coffer of left hand side equipment when you hit 50 and 60. Starting at 50 you'll earn a currency (poetics tomestones) which lets you get i130 gear at level 50 and i270 gear at level 60. You won't have to worry about gear until partway through the level 70 content, and then there are easy ways to gear up to the level you need to finish everything. Don't worry about crafted gear until you start leveling secondary jobs.

What is the cheapest/fastest way to gear up for the 4.X story content? I'm still in mostly 280 stuff.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

porfiria posted:

What is the cheapest/fastest way to gear up for the 4.X story content? I'm still in mostly 280 stuff.

Get a FC crafter to make you a set of i380, or, alternatively, a whole bunch of i380 headpieces to turn in for i390 gear.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Infidel Castro posted:

You're literally in the worst part of the MSQ. 2.x content really drags on for far too long.

Well at least I'm almost done with the *checks wiki* 2.1 story.... :cry:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bobfly posted:

Get a FC crafter to make you a set of i380, or, alternatively, a whole bunch of i380 headpieces to turn in for i390 gear.

Note that you will need a lot of Mendacity for this, since the upgrade item to be paired with the Rakshasa tokens costs 100 mendacity each.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

rantmo posted:

Well at least I'm almost done with the *checks wiki* 2.1 story.... :cry:

It starts to get better and become interesting from about roughly 60% in or something

I am almost finished with 4.56 and my God the story is good for an MMO. I like how almost all characters have a 'real' personality instead of being 2d objects with a single goal.

Tbh the worst character is the player. *Nods, punch hand*

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Leal posted:

WHAT THE gently caress :supaburn:
You ever notice some of the NPC popup text in round square? Explains so much now that we know the cactus was actually a potato all along.

It's like that time Godbert explains how he exploits supports Ala Mhigan refugees and I noticed the first bunny girls you see off the goldsaucer airship are all highladies.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Algid posted:

You ever notice some of the NPC popup text in round square? Explains so much now that we know the cactus was actually a potato all along.

I think this was first mentioned in the inaugural Make It Rain event that had that cool murder mystery thing to solve. You find an abandoned Senor Sabotender suit during your investigation and they reveal it's actually a lala inside.

But I still picked the surprised response because it was funny.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ort posted:

WoW has the best mmo combat of any game hands down, and I wish it didn’t. I try to hard to stick to FFXIV because there’s so much of it that I like, but I never really stick more than a month because combat feels like you are swimming in water. I don’t even mean the long gcd, I kind of like that because you get sick animations, but just the responsiveness of it.

At the end of the day, that combat system is what I’m interacting with the most and it drives me away from the game every time. Not to mention most classes have long, rigid rotations which are not interesting. They don’t provide interesting decision making, they’re just long which I guess people think makes them complex. Not all classes are like this, they’ve nailed ninja, sam, bard, and rdm.

I feel the exact opposite, I tried going back to WOW a while back but I couldn't get the hang of it again because none of my actions felt like they had any weight to them. It felt like I was just pushing buttons to make numbers appear. It also felt way too fast and button-mashy to me, like I didn't have time to pay attention to both mechanics and my rotation.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TheHeadSage posted:

God I love that final fight. (SB Hildi spoiler)"For Yojimbo... It is Gilgameshing time!" was amazing and I never not laugh when I see it.

I jump in for bonus Kugane Ohashi all the time because seeing first timers react is the most :3: thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah when people talk about WoW having the best MMO combat I'm baffled because it just feels like a bunch of weightless button mashing of very simplistic rotations to me. Even as someone who Heroic raided.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

Man I love coming to the FFXIV thread for WoW chat.

The job system and story are the main reasons I’ve played this game as long as I have as they’re leagues better than any other MMO I’ve ever played.

Pre-expansion off topic chat was best before Stormblood during the great Riker'ing of 2017.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Pre-expansion off topic chat was best before Stormblood during the great Riker'ing of 2017.

What's the great rikering, grandpa? I wasn't around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Martin BadClixx posted:

What's the great rikering, grandpa? I wasn't around

One poster who had a River avatar started a vibrant discussion about whether the extra DPS from Fracture was worth the high TP cost. Someone gave various Riker avatars to a lot of the participants. Think at least one had the Fracture icon over Riker's eyes. Maybe all of 'em? It was wild