Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Link especially in this generation is a boring rear end character. Zelda does all the work in BotW too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The various Toon Links are the only Links that have much in the way of a distinct personality.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Man, I feel like some people played a different version of Skyward Sword than I did.

Demise's curse isn't inflicted on Ganondorf, his curse IS Ganondorf:

Demise in the Skyward Sword ending posted:

Those like you… Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit
of the hero… They are eternally bound to this curse.
An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander
a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!

Plus Ganondorf is always the same dude who comes back, he is just that loving determined and pissed, so I dunno about the idea that he was the ancient hero. He'd had to have done a complete 180 on his long standing policies of "gently caress you" and "Hyrule's mine", because he's not reincarnated like Link or Zelda are... which also means he'd have to be fighting himself.

Also Ganon being an extremely determined angry rear end in a top hat is part of what makes him so cool. :colbert:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 13, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Fortis posted:

Man, I feel like some people played a different version of Skyward Sword than I did.

Demise's curse isn't inflicted on Ganondorf, his curse IS Ganondorf:

Plus Ganondorf is always the same dude who comes back, he is just that loving determined and pissed, so I dunno about the idea that he was the ancient hero. He'd had to have done a complete 180 on his long standing policies of "gently caress you" and "Hyrule's mine", because he's not reincarnated like Link or Zelda are.

Also Ganon being an extremely determined angry rear end in a top hat is part of what makes him so cool. :colbert:
You know, the fact that Ganondorf is always the same Ganondorf, too fuckin' stubborn to lie down and die is what made me hate Demise. He makes it sound like Ganondorf is him reincarnating, but every time Ganon shows up, he's still the same dude.

Also, turning "somewhat justified and sympathetic" Windwaker Ganon into an explicit "Capital E Evil, born from the unending hatred of a dark god" robs him of a lot of his character.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Skyward Sword was bad not only because it was barely playable ugly trash, but because it was the first real effort to introduce lore and rules to this dumb world full of fish people and rock men.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zelda has had lore since 1991.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Zelda has had lore since 1991.
Zelda has never bothered to actually attempt to connect the lore until Skyward Sword/fans pressuring them to put out an official timeline

see: Windwaker "Ruto evolved from Zora with the help of a magical dragon" vs BotW "Ruto are just bird furries that happened, the Ruto are still over there, fine" or why the Deku (but not the Kokiri/Koroks) are just fuckin' gone now.

the actual lore is "yeah that'd be cool to put in the game"

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 13, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lezard_valeth posted:

Also I hope for more weapon variation Lynels. Give me Samurai Lynel, Boomerang Lynel, Mop Lynel

Spring Mallet Lynel

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Blaziken386 posted:

Zelda has never bothered to actually attempt to connect the lore until Skyward Sword/fans pressuring them to put out an official timeline

they should have known to never give in to a child's temper tantrum. now they got themselves a messs!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

OhFunny posted:

One of the memories has Zelda tell Link that tomorrow is her 17th birthday and she'll be heading up a mountain to pray to the Goddess in a last shot of unlocking her power.

The next memory is her coming back down having failed and then Ganon immediately raising to wreck the world.

What I'm trying to say is Zelda is :actually: 16 in that screenshot and her 17th birthday was like...the worst ever in history.

edit: and beaten.

Zelda is actually 117 during the events of Breath of the Wild and furthermore-

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
Zelda holding back Ganon for 100 years while Link has an extended spa day makes her tougher than any version of Link.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MokBa posted:

Zelda is actually 117 during the events of Breath of the Wild and furthermore-

the occasion that Link remembers when he looked at Zelda's butt happened one hundred years before the start of the game

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Bongo Bill posted:

the occasion that Link remembers when he looked at Zelda's butt happened one hundred years before the start of the game

yes but when BotW2 comes out and I play as Zelda I can feel okay staring at her butt on the screen all the time

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NofrikinfuN posted:

Hinox: Am I a joke to you?

Hinox is a boss enemy. Lynel's tough as they are are technically normal enemies.

Blaziken386 posted:

Also, turning "somewhat justified and sympathetic" Windwaker Ganon into an explicit "Capital E Evil, born from the unending hatred of a dark god" robs him of a lot of his character.

He was still a selfish monster whose justification was simply that he liked the poo poo other people had and so decided to steal it, after which he corrupted everything declared himself Demon King, and ruled as a cruel tyrant.

The reason the King and Ganon were meeting in Ocarina was to bring the Gerudo into the fold, which would improve their lot in life, but Ganon was planning on just uspuring the King rather than use the offered help.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tired: liking Zelda for dat booty
Wired: liking Zelda for the knee shimmy she does when she’s shoving the frog at Link.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Geostomp posted:

The various Toon Links are the only Links that have much in the way of a distinct personality.

likewise tetra is the only interesting incarnation of zelda

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also Ganondorf in Wind Waker is shown attempting to murder children on screen. Acting like he's sympathetic is some galaxy brain poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
wind waker is still the gold standard for story and character in zelda games.....heres hoping this sequel has good enough story content to dethrone it, since it looks like thats going to be its focus

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

lezard_valeth posted:

Give me Mop Lynel

am I the only person who read this and immediately assumed it meant a Lynel in a bowl cut

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hope Darknuts are in the new game. They were one of the big original Zelda enemies missing and I felt like we needed a more elite enemy between Moblin and Lynel.

I was gonna say Bokoblin Riders were the inbetween step but actually Silver/Golden Bokoblin archer riders are the biggest sunavitch in the game. I can beat Golden Lynels without taking a hit or using any Sheikah/Champion power but I cannot beat the machinegun Silver/Golden Bokoblin archer riders in a fair fight. They hit with 99% accuracy and lead you harder than the Octoroks.

I always end up Stasis-ing them off the horse from afar and kill them before they get a chance to get back.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Spring Mallet Lynel

Trial of the Sword dropped the ball when it didn't have you fight a Lynel with a Spring Mallet on top of a platform surrounded with lava

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lezard_valeth posted:

I was gonna say Bokoblin Riders were the inbetween step but actually Silver/Golden Bokoblin archer riders are the biggest sunavitch in the game. I can beat Golden Lynels without taking a hit or using any Sheikah/Champion power but I cannot beat the machinegun Silver/Golden Bokoblin archer riders in a fair fight. They hit with 99% accuracy and lead you harder than the Octoroks.

I always end up Stasis-ing them off the horse from afar and kill them before they get a chance to get back.

I’d take three gold horsey bokos over a single gold Lizfalos. Six if the 🦎 is in the water.

Blizzard rod is pretty great for crowd control in master mode.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Crypt of the Zeldancer is fun so far, and this soundtrack fucks. Also, a visit to a fairy spring confirms that this Zelda game is also slightly horny, so that's good I guess

e: oh my god the bosses in this are loving incredible

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 14, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zore posted:

Also Ganondorf in Wind Waker is shown attempting to murder children on screen. Acting like he's sympathetic is some galaxy brain poo poo.

That's only the very end where everything he just worked towards is taken from him and he loses his mind. Prior to that he's not the typical Ganondorf that just wants to enslave the gently caress out of the world and rule over it. Isn't his whole mission just to bring Hyrule back from being under the waves?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Windwaker Ganondorf has sympathetic qualities. That's not the same as being a sympathetic character overall. He's still cruel and doesn't care what evil things he has to get what he wants, but he is unique in that he actually explains his reasons and you can understand them and feel a bit sorry for him.

And then stab him in the head and turn in to stone, because gently caress him he still deserves it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay so the bony plate on Levias' head looks exactly like the suction disc on a remora. Did Levias used to dangle off the side of other, larger skyfish?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Blaziken386 posted:

link maybe got too used to walking around hyrule all on his lonesome

It’s as they say: you got to go with the champion you got, not necessarily the one you want...

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Blaziken386 posted:

link maybe got too used to walking around hyrule all on his lonesome

There's not a soul in Hyrule who would mind seeing him like that

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: oh my god the bosses in this are loving incredible

Bosses are great but these PUNS man.

wizzrOBOE

BASS GUITARmos

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was still a selfish monster whose justification was simply that he liked the poo poo other people had and so decided to steal it, after which he corrupted everything declared himself Demon King, and ruled as a cruel tyrant.

The reason the King and Ganon were meeting in Ocarina was to bring the Gerudo into the fold, which would improve their lot in life, but Ganon was planning on just uspuring the King rather than use the offered help.
I said sympathetic, not good. The gerudo desert was a wasteland, hyrule was prosperous, and the less nice term for "bringing gerudo into the fold" is "having the gerudo be absorbed into hyrule's empire."
And, regardless of his actions, look at what Hyrule's goddesses did in retaliation - there aren't any mountains to take refuge on in the middle of the desert. The gerudo got wiped off the map, it's a wonder he's not mad with grief.

Regy Rusty posted:

Windwaker Ganondorf has sympathetic qualities. That's not the same as being a sympathetic character overall. He's still cruel and doesn't care what evil things he has to get what he wants, but he is unique in that he actually explains his reasons and you can understand them and feel a bit sorry for him.

And then stab him in the head and turn in to stone, because gently caress him he still deserves it.
"Sympathetic qualities" is a better way to put it, yeah.

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's only the very end where everything he just worked towards is taken from him and he loses his mind. Prior to that he's not the typical Ganondorf that just wants to enslave the gently caress out of the world and rule over it. Isn't his whole mission just to bring Hyrule back from being under the waves?
Yeah - up until that point, he's generally more interested in monologuing than murder. But then Daphnes says "lmao gently caress off, I can teleport," and he chooses Suicide By Sword-Wielding-Child

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

He also tries to kill Link when you save Tetra and you only survive because of deus ex dragon swooping in.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

He also tries to kill Link when you save Tetra and you only survive because of deus ex dragon swooping in.
I just rewatched that scene to double check - he hits Link with his fist, not the sword, the sword is only used to threaten Link.

Again, still a bad guy, but slightly less murdery than you give him credit for.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

To be fair he does raise the sword to end Link, I think, but Tetra jumps in. WW Ganondorf feels like Thanos, he's not out to kill you because that won't help achieve his goal, but if you get in his way he has no problems killing you.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
drat. That makes me excited for Wind Waker. I've always wanted to play it due to the art style.

Do you guys think it could come to switch?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Meallan posted:

drat. That makes me excited for Wind Waker. I've always wanted to play it due to the art style.

Do you guys think it could come to switch?
They made an HD port of it on the Wii U a couple years back, (which, personally, I think looks a bit worse due to the excess bloom), but they've been stubbornly refusing to put it or Twilight Princess HD on the switch, presumably due to having their feelings hurt by no one buying a wii u. (or, more likely, because they want BotW to be THE zelda game people think of when they see the switch)

Due to a large number of people in the fandom wanting it and presumably willing to fork over another forty or so dollars for it, it's safe to assume that nintendo will be as nintendo as possible and never do that

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Meallan posted:

3) It would mean that Zelda finally got some agency and doesn't get kidnapped and trapped yet again, which has been a huge disservice to her character over the years and frankly the *one* thing that feels bitter to me in botw and in the zelda franchise.

She technically gets some agency in BotW; she chooses to head back to Hyrule Castle and hold Ganon down until Link recovers, but that still leaves her stuck in one place unable to do anything but occasional voices-in-Link's-head, so it's not really an improvement.

ItBreathes posted:

I thought you could get everything but epona and the wolf in the dlc?

You can get outfits from previous games from the amiibos; OoT version, Wind Waker version etc.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

You can get outfits from previous games from the amiibos; OoT version, Wind Waker version etc.
you know, I really hate that those items (and wolf link) are permanently locked behind amiibos, considering all the loving scalpers :argh:

e: actually, speaking of amiibos and HD ports
there's been "rumors" about HD Twilight Princess & Wind Waker on switch literally since the switch was released, but the most recent "leak" might have some truth to it - I've been trying to get a Wolf Link amiibo at a non-bullshit price for a while now, with no luck because they were pretty much only sold with TPHD. But I was just able to buy one from Best Buy? So there might actually be some truth to the rumors this time, if they're re-releasing new copies of it.

of course, it's equally likely that they found one under a warehouse shelf and just stuck it on the website, but hey, a girl can dream

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 14, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

sounds like legend of zelda: wind rammers is CONFIRMED! :woop:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

You can also get a full set of rfid cards with the amiibo codes on them for $10 on eBay if yoy want to play around with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DB64XLjdvY

Audio reversed BotW 2 trailer.