Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You ever ride a mountain bike?

"Uh... I mean, a hoverbike one time but it was just in the city..."

Pfft. Okay, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Not that this necessarily disproves your point, but Discovery is already there, so this whole idea is way less crazy now.

I already don't like it, so really it supports my point.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/HiRISE/status/1138853523808931840

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't get it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Sir! We've spotted a symbol on Mars! We think it may be a Star Trek fan needing rescue..."

"What? Let me see!"

"...specifically sir, a Discovery fan."

"Forget it, delete the image."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Orv posted:

I don't get it.

It's the roundabout weapon from cuphead

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's the roundabout weapon from cuphead

:hmmyes:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've been in a mood tonight, and my YouTube scouring has led me to the Sabotage scene from Beyond.

Movie-Trek did not deserve just how drat good Beyond was. It's not the best film, not by a long shot, but goddrat is it fun.

Is that... classical music?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've been in a mood tonight, and my YouTube scouring has led me to the Sabotage scene from Beyond.

Movie-Trek did not deserve just how drat good Beyond was. It's not the best film, not by a long shot, but goddrat is it fun.

Is that... classical music?
It’s the middle of the pack of Trek films for me. I just have a low opinion of it since it totally wasted Idris Elba as a villain

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It totally did. Elba is a very strong actor, as Heimdall shows what he can do with basically no material, and they totally wasted the guy on a makeup kaijuu.

But it still did a lot right. The Yorktown is amazing scifi, and to me everything up to the zero-G fisticuffs was actually really interesting scifi craziness. And man, Pine's Shatner in this film is so on point it is uncomfortable. He hits these points where he's nailing Shatner without swinging for the outfield, and it's just so drat good.

That's the tragedy of that version of Trek. Urban and Pine deserved better.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I remember thinking they were going to have Edison redeem himself at the last minute by stopping the bomb himself and I think the movie would go up a couple more ticks if it had happened.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I thought it was a bold choice to have him not redeem himself, but holding his reveal til an exposition dump at the end made his origins a pointless afterthought.

With say, Khan in TWOK, you know this guy is a 200 year old man out of his time but enhanced to be equal to the modern era. That baggage was there the whole movie, along with the wreckage of his previous encounter with Kirk.

In Beyond, the baddie is just an alien who hates the Federation for vague reasons, hell at first he's just a dude who preys on passing ships. Then at the end it's "ohyeahimaguyfrom100yearsagowhowashumanbutturnedalienandgotshaftedintheromulanwar."

It makes an epic villain weak. Like if Khan was Captain Ahab, Edison should have been The Ancient Mariner, an undying Starfleet Captain gone bad and haunting the space lanes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Unconfirmed reports from some site you've never heard of about the Picard show sucking and Kurzman being semi-fired:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/06/13/rumor-alex-kurtzman-fired-by-cbs-test-shows-for-star-trek-picard-are-horrible/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MillennialVulcan posted:

I remember thinking they were going to have Edison redeem himself at the last minute by stopping the bomb himself and I think the movie would go up a couple more ticks if it had happened.

That would have fit the themes of the movie better. Having them be angry that they thought the Federation had abandoned them was a great concept, it would have been cheesy as gently caress but I would have loved it if they had them come across some giant memorial on the Yorktown that showed Starfleet spent decades looking for its lost ship.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Unconfirmed reports from some site you've never heard of about the Picard show sucking and Kurzman being semi-fired:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/06/13/rumor-alex-kurtzman-fired-by-cbs-test-shows-for-star-trek-picard-are-horrible/

Wouldn't be surprised (although disappointed) if the Picard show turns out badly, but that rumour originates from Nerdrotic who is about as unreliable as you can get.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

say what you will about Voyager, but Torres telling Janeway "When I said I meant [x amount of time], I mean it." Nice way of subverting engineers being expected to break the laws of physics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How can they be doing test screenings already when they’ve only been filming for a month? There’s no way that article is true.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Everyone is waiting to see if they will gently caress up STP, which should be unfuckupable, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The source is Nerdrotic who basically specializes in bashing anything "SJW" or progressive in scifi as pandering and "As I told you it would be, it is an abject failure."

The thing is, he often relies on "secret insiders" and I have never bothered to see if any of his predictions or rumors were true, but I gave a feeling his accuracy rate is not great.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astroman posted:

Everyone is waiting to see if they will gently caress up STP, which should be unfuckupable, but I'll believe it when I see it.

At this point it's actually my default assumption that it (and anything else they make) is not going to be worth my time, until proven otherwise.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

The source is Nerdrotic who basically specializes in bashing anything "SJW" or progressive in scifi as pandering and "As I told you it would be, it is an abject failure."

The thing is, he often relies on "secret insiders" and I have never bothered to see if any of his predictions or rumors were true, but I gave a feeling his accuracy rate is not great.

I hate this guy constantly showing up in my youtube recs no matter how often I hit X, it's impossible to watch anything nerd-related without getting swarmed by reactionary bullshit artists like him

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
BlockTube solved that issue for me, as you can block entire channels forever, even from your recommended videos list, so if I see anything that's obviously garbage, I just blacklist the channel forever on the spot, cleaned things up quick.

That's on firefox, though, I don't know if it's available on other browsers.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Astroman posted:

The detail about the only people liking it being JJTrek fans tips it over from "believable but not certain" into "almost certainly bullshit". It's just such a clean narrative

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nerdrotic is a loving piss baby

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

Everyone is waiting to see if they will gently caress up STP, which should be unfuckupable,

I'm struggling to see how someone could say a Picard-oriented show could be "unfuckupable" after the last movie featuring Picard was a "back-to-back cerebral piledriver".

(who came up with that "cerebral piledriver" phrase?)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Honestly, a follow up to TNG in 2019 is probably way easier to gently caress up than any prequel or TOS remake you can imagine

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It is such a brain gently caress that it has been longer from the end of TNG to now than it was from TOS to TNG.

The Picard series is like if there were a Shatner acted Kirk series as the follow up to TNG.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Astroman posted:

I thought it was a bold choice to have him not redeem himself, but holding his reveal til an exposition dump at the end made his origins a pointless afterthought.

Moving that reveal to roughly the middle of the movie would've helped a lot. Putting it at the end isn't as interesting as they thought it was. This ain't The Sixth Sense.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm struggling to see how someone could say a Picard-oriented show could be "unfuckupable" after the last movie featuring Picard was a "start-to-finish cerebral piledriver".

(who came up with that "cerebral piledriver" phrase?)

That was me, and I'm proud that my most lasting bit of writing is a five-word review of Nemesis.

(Edited your post for accuracy.)

After The War fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 14, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

T.C. posted:

It is such a brain gently caress that it has been longer from the end of TNG to now than it was from TOS to TNG.

The Picard series is like if there were a Shatner acted Kirk series as the follow up to TNG.

It's this weird pop culture drift that happens with Star Trek media. Yes, the Captain is an important character but especially with TNG, the other characters around him are almost as important. Riker got shunted to the sidelines in the TNG movies, sans Generations, for Data and its like the writers not saw his character as critical to the show which was bizarre to me.

I don't mind the concept of what the Picard show seems to be about, what happens when an idealist sees the world for what it is and can he regain his idealism. It's a good premise for Picard more than say Kirk or Sisko. But I don't trust modern writers to not gently caress it up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For Riker at least in TNG movie 2 and 3 there are good production reasons to sideline him, he was directing!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Yeah the weird marginalization of Riker as a character was one of my biggest internal gripes about those movies. I mean he did stuff, but not character stuff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I got to “Threshold” in my Voyager rewatch and honestly?

“Sub Rosa” is still far, far worse. Blatantly sexist and trying to glean sympathy for a rapist and offensive Scottish stereotypes trump what is, honestly, a story whose worst crime is really dumb science.

Hell, “Threshold” isn’t even the worst episode of season 2; not when “Tattoo” exists.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

After The War posted:

That was me, and I'm proud that my most lasting bit of writing is a five-word review of Nemesis.

(Edited your post for accuracy.)

Thank you, both for correcting me and for that inspired nugget of gold. :)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For every month you work at Sisko's, he reveals to you one more detail about the girl you fell in love at first sight with.

"Her favorite flower is petunias"
"She likes to walk in the rain"
"She is a trained pianist"
"She goes to awe burrrrn university"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Nemesis really is the Billy Madison's Final Answer of Treks.

I award you no points, and may your soul wander the wastelands of Gre'thor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

Nemesis really is the Billy Madison's Final Answer of Treks.

I award you no points, and may your soul wander the wastelands of Gre'thor.

Seriously. Every time someone starts ranting about Into Darkness being a shameless WoK rehash (it isn't) and the worst Trek movie ever (it isn't), I have to resist the urge to smack them across the face and scream, "NEMESIS IS RIGHT THERE."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nemesis was so bad, it got Tom Hardy addicted to methamphetamine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

Nemesis was so bad, it got Tom Hardy addicted to methamphetamine.

Cocaine and alcohol, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Huh. I could’ve sworn I remember reading an interview where he said meth, too. If i’m wrong, then my bad, Tom Hardy.