Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What's TP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah when people talk about WoW having the best MMO combat I'm baffled because it just feels like a bunch of weightless button mashing of very simplistic rotations to me. Even as someone who Heroic raided.

Because that's exactly what it is, and BfA is the worst iteration of it in a long time. However, the core feel of it is very quick, responsive and intuitive. It feels right right off the bat for most people, where FFXIV starts out like molasses and especially in 2.0 was super stingy about giving you a Power Button that makes big numbers appear that make you feel strong. WoW combat would be objectively better, if all the classes weren't poo poo. The mechanical core is superior.

FFXIV however builds into something that just resonates with me a lot better than WoW's current combat. It's no coincidence that Bard is simultaneously the most WoW-like job and the job I like the least because of it's mashy jankiness.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The thing that isn't HP or MP that will be gone in two weeks.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

rip in piss fracture

and soon protect

i know one person who will miss you and I intend to mock the poo poo out of them every time for it

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
There's gonna be so many awkward pauses at Duty Commenced for the first week

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

isk posted:

So many healers are going to get yelled at for not casting Protect.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

isk posted:

I already get those since I’ve completely stopped casting it at the start of dungeons

once I charge ahead though the rest of the group just follows and it’s never brought up again

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm kinda curious how parts of the Ivalice raid stories play out if you are playing a viera; they seem to assume you know nothing about viera culture.

going through the 2.x msq as an au ra is already a treat, given how yugiri says to your character's face that she's wearing a hood and veil to hide her features because otherwise her kind is just too frightening and unsightly for eorzeans to handle :nallears:

anyway, speaking of frightening and unsightly lizards: I know there are at least a few other goons on balmung, so I thought I'd extend an invitation to the eternal bonding ceremony my friend and I are finally doing with our characters, just in time for ShB!!

the ceremony will commence on Saturday, June 22 at 5pm EDT! this is balmung so of course there may be some light RP going on, but it's not at all mandatory! just please be respectful and don't harass or grief anyone who does RP (and by that same token, ERP and other public trashiness will also not be tolerated). aside from that, all are welcome, even if you just want the free wedding swag!! feel free to send a tell to Bala Qestir if you happen to catch me online over the weekend, or just show up at the sanctuary a little before starting time and I'll be around to pass out invites!

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Pretty hyped for pvp crafting and gathering with the ishgard restoration. Hopefully they show some details in the liveletter as I’m interested to see how they’re going to do rankings for that content. Having server based progression is a really cool idea too, we need more content like that especially with world visit.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Tetris 99 except its crafting

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Solovey posted:

going through the 2.x msq as an au ra is already a treat, given how yugiri says to your character's face that she's wearing a hood and veil to hide her features because otherwise her kind is just too frightening and unsightly for eorzeans to handle :nallears:

There better be unique dialogue for lalafells on the first or I riot.

keirharder posted:

Pretty hyped for pvp crafting and gathering with the ishgard restoration. Hopefully they show some details in the liveletter as I’m interested to see how they’re going to do rankings for that content. Having server based progression is a really cool idea too, we need more content like that especially with world visit.

Personally I'm hoping for more tiered rewards rather than going by strict player-versus-player ranking. It's not the system I would want I don't think as someone who likes DoH/DoL but prefers to keep it pretty casual, but we'll see how it goes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Solovey posted:

Its not like SE can go back and have Yugiri's original VA rerecord lines to account for being an Au Ra. Cause she got murdered.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Rhonne posted:

So many healers are going to get yelled at for not casting Protect.

So protects finally going away eh? I haven't seen the changes for healers ( cause im a noob scrub DPS and middling tank ) so i wasn't aware of the stuff going on there.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Leal posted:

Its not like SE can go back and have Yugiri's original VA rerecord lines to account for being an Au Ra. Cause she got murdered.

Wasn't that Yugiri's second VA?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Burger McAngus posted:

Wasn't that Yugiri's second VA?

correct

her first va is from the original va studio that no longer works on the game

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

UHD posted:

I already get those since I’ve completely stopped casting it at the start of dungeons

once I charge ahead though the rest of the group just follows and it’s never brought up again

I forgot to rebuff a guy who died in a levelling roulette with protect and eventually his tank friend clicked off his own protect and just stood there until I rebuffed.

It's not like protect is going to save your friend from standing in all the AOE.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I should maybe do the last part of the Ivalice raid before the expansion is over. :effort:

How is that these days?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Magil Zeal posted:

There better be unique dialogue for lalafells on the first or I riot.

Since they're supposed to be callbacks to FF4 dwarves, I hope at least one of them gives you a "Lali-Ho" or two.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

a kitten posted:

I should maybe do the last part of the Ivalice raid before the expansion is over. :effort:

How is that these days?

I went in blind last night on a roulette and we only wiped once.
2nd to last boss requires a massive amount of situational awareness. the rest of them are basically cake.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kurieg posted:

I went in blind last night on a roulette and we only wiped once.
2nd to last boss requires a massive amount of situational awareness. the rest of them are basically cake.

Yeah, the penultimate boss can still get wipe-happy if even one of the alliances has too many people asleep at the wheel. It's like a worse version of Diabolos Hollow.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

Yeah, the penultimate boss can still get wipe-happy if even one of the alliances has too many people asleep at the wheel. It's like a worse version of Diabolos Hollow.

I don't see how that fight compares to Diabolos Hollow at all. It's more like Ozma if Ozma was a big chuuni dude.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Khaba posted:

I forgot to rebuff a guy who died in a levelling roulette with protect and eventually his tank friend clicked off his own protect and just stood there until I rebuffed.

It's not like protect is going to save your friend from standing in all the AOE.

I want to say I’d call their bluff and stand my ground against the hated protect but I’ll be real I’d totally cave just to end the run

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So apparently Lucid Dreaming's been nerfed as of the E3 build, down to 50 potency from 80, which is an, uh, "interesting" design choice.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Saigyouji posted:

So apparently Lucid Dreaming's been nerfed as of the E3 build, down to 50 potency from 80, which is an, uh, "interesting" design choice.

Considering most MP-using classes are going to have less max MP in ShB than they do now, and that Lucid Dreaming's CD was down to 60 seconds as of the media tour build, it's entirely possible that's still going to be a net gain in terms of mana economy over what we have now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
People playing healers on the build were already saying its hosed, especially without energy drain/etherflow changes/ewer/whatever.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

People playing healers on the build were already saying its hosed, especially without energy drain/etherflow changes/ewer/whatever.

the numbers also aren’t final either

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, I've been hearing reports of ASTs zeroing out on MP purely through DPS.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So, what do guys you think we're expecting from the Letter From the Producer tonight? What hasn't been said by this point, how New Game+ works?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

doh/dol changes I think

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah, I've been hearing reports of ASTs zeroing out on MP purely through DPS.

That's not too surprising on a normal Trial with level-appropriate gear with 7 other random people doing questionable DPS. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if they adjusted mana costs for AST DPS actions once it hits live, since they're the only job that doesn't have additional mana restoration like SCH/WHM. You could also make Draw restore a proportionally smaller percentage of mana and have it meet the mana restoration of WHM/SCH over time when Sleeve Draw is used in conjunction with it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Supposedly the gear was pentamelded crafted gear, since the day one clear rates were like, 20% (with unmelded gear. i399, apparently.)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Saigyouji posted:

lol. and to think they mocked ast's dot going from 500 to 400 mana, the fools!

UHD posted:

the numbers also aren’t final either

lol

"it's just the media build! Wait to try one of the trials!"
"It's just the leveling trial! Judge it in end game dungeons and raids!"
"It's just the normal raids! 5.0.5 will address it at worst!"
"It's just the savage raids! It'll make sense when you heal Ultimate!"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Vermain posted:

That's not too surprising on a normal Trial with level-appropriate gear with 7 other random people doing questionable DPS. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if they adjusted mana costs for AST DPS actions once it hits live, since they're the only job that doesn't have additional mana restoration like SCH/WHM. You could also make Draw restore a proportionally smaller percentage of mana and have it meet the mana restoration of WHM/SCH over time when Sleeve Draw is used in conjunction with it.

sch is "only" getting 1k mp every minute from aetherflow, the mana saved from lightspeed is pretty comparable even if you're just casting dps spells.

anyways for more valuable discussion's sake, here's the review on new scholar from one of the people that cleared titania at E3

https://pastebin.com/R0ntjUAB

agreeing really strongly with how they feel about energy drain being gone. it's gonna lead to lots of "feel bad" moments where you've got aetherflow left, nothing useful to use it on, and the cooldown's up and you want mana. energy drain was a good pressure relief valve for that.

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 14, 2019

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
All I am hearing is piety is going to be a relevant stat finally.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, my main concern is that, as pretty much every SCH main predicted, the loss of Energy Drain makes Aetherflow clunky as hell, since you now have to waste Lustrates before it comes off cooldown.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah, my main concern is that, as pretty much every SCH main predicted, the loss of Energy Drain makes Aetherflow clunky as hell, since you now have to waste Lustrates before it comes off cooldown.

Enhanced Sacred Soil is apparently quite strong, so it'll likely be the main spender you drop down when you're not under pressure to use Lustrate/Indom.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The catch there is that we don't get Enhanced Soil until 78, which is a really long time for a mechanic to feel bad.

Also getting people to actually stand in Sacred Soil.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Saigyouji posted:

The catch there is that we don't get Enhanced Soil until 78, which is a really long time for a mechanic to feel bad.

The curse of the Machinist...has been passed....

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

All I am hearing is piety is going to be a relevant stat finally.

Funny enough, it gives the same amount of regen but since it no longer gives you a larger starting mana pool or boost the effect of things like aetherflow, it's inarguably worse than before. The only way healers stack it is if they literally cannot cast DPS spells to the end of an encounter without it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

The curse of the Machinist...has been passed....

:emptyquote: