Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's what you wipe with :smuggo:

snyped too, god drat I am so good at posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Like, I'm sure at 80 SCH will be mostly fine (although the loss of Quickened Aetherflow is still the worst drat thing), but in the majority of the game's content it's just gonna feel weird and clunky now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Thankfully it has a dps job to level as :shepface:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Minrad posted:

Thankfully it has a dps job to level as :shepface:

I actually am thinking about levelling acn using smn for the first time now. Not that this means much, samurai main for the forseeable future so I was just going to level it up in roulettes and then never touch it again regardless of what they changed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Funny you should mention that, I'm trying to figure out post-70 SMN now. I don't get the point of Firebird Trance before level 80, as it's essentially a Dreadwyrm Trance that doesn't let you use Deathflare and doesn't give Dreadwyrm Aether. It gives you Fountain of Fire, which was in the media build possibly a potency loss over Ruin III (depending on whether or not Ruination affects it) or at best equal to it, and Brand of Purgatory, which is a relatively small potency gain in single target (but admittedly quite good for multitarget). Those very small benefits are hard to justify essentially not getting Dreadwyrm Aether, it feels a bit like running in place.

Now it's possible that Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory get big potency buffs in the meanwhile (or Ruin III/IV get nerfed), but that's based on what we saw in the media build tooltips.

Edit: If it doesn't give Dreadwyrm Aether and doesn't allow the use of Deathflare, I think it's going to be tough to make Firebird Trance feel good from levels 72-79. But it also can't do those things because then it's way too good at level 80.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 14, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Magil Zeal posted:

Funny you should mention that, I'm trying to figure out post-70 SMN now. I don't get the point of Firebird Trance before level 80, as it's essentially a Dreadwyrm Trance that doesn't let you use Deathflare and doesn't give Dreadwyrm Aether. It gives you Fountain of Fire, which was in the media build possibly a potency loss over Ruin III (depending on whether or not Ruination affects it) or at best equal to it, and Brand of Purgatory, which is a relatively small potency gain in single target (but admittedly quite good for multitarget). Those very small benefits are hard to justify essentially not getting Dreadwyrm Aether, it feels a bit like running in place.

Now it's possible that Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory get big potency buffs in the meanwhile (or Ruin III/IV get nerfed), but that's based on what we saw in the media build tooltips.

When you get Firebird Trance you also get a trait that makes Dreadwrym trance give 2 Aether when it finishes. So you're still getting 2 trances per Bahamut, it just goes "Trance bahamut trance" rather than "Trance trance bahamut" And Firebird should be a DPS upgrade over Dreadwyrm.
And it has it's own version of Deathflare. nevermind, I misunderstood this. but yeah it should be a dps upgrade. it just doesnt have deathflare at the end.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 14, 2019

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm excited for the new WHM spell Dia to be added to auto-translate so I can chat it alongside a link to some Rhea.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The other weird thing about 5.0 SCH is that they finally fixed one of Dissipation's biggest problems... at the same time as it's become more awkward to use. We can't use it for extra Energy Drains (and by extension, shortening Aetherflow's CD) any more, the stacks will probably go towards Lustrates (and won't increase the Fey Gauge since Lily is dead during it) since if you're pressing Dissipation in the first place most your buttons are probably on cooldown, we still only have 3 healing spells, and almost all our new skills require our fairy to be alive and we have a new gauge spender (which as noted before, we can't increase during Dissipation.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

I don't see how that fight compares to Diabolos Hollow at all. It's more like Ozma if Ozma was a big chuuni dude.

HOW DARE YOU.

YOU WILL TREAT TG CID WITH THE PROPER FEAR AND HUMILITY HE IS OWED.

alternate post: Please flee from TG Cid single-file in an orderly fashion.

alternate alternate post: Found the loser who never played FFT!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kurieg posted:

When you get Firebird Trance you also get a trait that makes Dreadwrym trance give 2 Aether when it finishes. So you're still getting 2 trances per Bahamut, it just goes "Trance bahamut trance" rather than "Trance trance bahamut" And Firebird should be a DPS upgrade over Dreadwyrm.
And it has it's own version of Deathflare. nevermind, I misunderstood this. but yeah it should be a dps upgrade. it just doesnt have deathflare at the end.

Tell me if I'm mathing wrong, but assuming that Ruination does not affect Fountain of Fire (there's no indication that it does other than it feels like it should because it replaces Ruin III while under Firebird Trance), then for every two GCDs you get either two Ruin IIIs (under DWT, 270 + 270 = 540) or a Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory (under FBT, 250 + 300 = 550). This looks good for Firebird Trance, but it needs 40 GCDs to catch up to the fact that Dreadwyrm Trance offers an oGCD 400 potency AoE nuke. Losing that 400 potency oGCD really hurts.

This is more "what if" speculation at this point than anything else because all of those potencies are up in the air, but going by the media numbers I'm not seeing many positives to Firebird Trance until it actually summons Demi-Phoenix.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is that interview going around with YoshiP equating tolerating gay people "too much" being the same as the Light consuming the planet real?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Martin BadClixx posted:

What's the great rikering, grandpa? I wasn't around

:allears:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is that interview going around with YoshiP equating tolerating gay people "too much" being the same as the Light consuming the planet real?

Uh, what?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SpaceQueenEmily/status/1139598397076381698

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, that's uh not great but not horrible? It feels like a very PR response and a very Japanese response that is tempered from being truly bad by their actions which have been relatively good about this sort of thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

theres actually zero difference between the light and the dark. you imbecile. you loving moron

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh, that's uh not great but not horrible? It feels like a very PR response and a very Japanese response that is tempered from being truly bad by their actions which have been relatively good about this sort of thing.
i mean if he just said the 'not everyone is evil' and 'there's different values' bit it'd be centrist as gently caress but whatever but when you're literally equating 'too much gay rights' with the villains of the latest expansion pack it's, uh, hrm.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He also says:

quote:

As people, our values are formed at the intersection of many factors: education, history, religious teachings, and so on. They are typically something we gain through instruction. With regard to the conversation surrounding gender and matters of personal expression, we need to acknowledge that people’s values influence whether they see this is a positive or a negative thing. We can’t change that. We can’t change what people are taught. But we are in the process of changing our perspective, and that’s important to keep in mind.

Which seems like a reasonable corporate PR type perspective. His previous quote about personal expression was good.

The flood of light comparison was pretty daft though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Endorph posted:

i mean if he just said the 'not everyone is evil' and 'there's different values' bit it'd be centrist as gently caress but whatever but when you're literally equating 'too much gay rights' with the villains of the latest expansion pack it's, uh, hrm.

Oh no he's been talking to the Dragon Quest guy

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

He also says:

Which seems like a reasonable corporate PR type perspective. His previous quote about personal expression was good.

The flood of light comparison was pretty daft though.

Was that from the interview where he said a paragraph of words that sounded decent and progressive, but then when you go back a paragraph it's clear he's trying to get us to empathize with an intolerant mother?

Edit: no it's not I just can't read right

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ironslave posted:

Was that from the interview where he said a paragraph of words that sounded decent and progressive, but then when you go back a paragraph it's clear he's trying to get us to empathize with an intolerant mother?

No that was literally the paragraph right above the tweeted screencap.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

To be fair, he's basically saying that they can't go full LGBT support because it would cause their shareholders to lose money, in a way that wouldn't anger their shareholders. It's scummy, but it's also the other side of the coin of #wokebrands tweeting out Pride messages because that's what will make them more money. That's the world we live in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I find it helps to mentally calibrate to Japan being about early-90s US in terms of gay rights. Just have to hope they get there if we want to enjoy things like video games as a hobby.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
When it comes to representation and fashion options and in-game marriage, FFXIV is significantly better than most MMOs and many games, and it's very much heading in the right direction, and as far as Yoshida's statements goes there's a kernel of decency in the idea of trying to empathize, and maybe the particular tone is strictly a result of a sapir-whorf translation miscommunication or tempered by a perceived recognition of the realities of cultural shifts,

but drat if it's not disappointing to hear the same sentiment twice and not have it unambiguously be on the idea of gay and trans people deserving recognition and acceptance regardless of the intolerance of others.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Didn't they also recently say that certain regions very vocally complained about SE collaborating on pride floats? It was definitely a poor choice of words, but I ultimately think Yoshi-p means well but is trapped by the fact that he's still the head of a game that makes a not insignificant amount of SE's money.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ironslave posted:

When it comes to representation and fashion options and in-game marriage, FFXIV is significantly better than most MMOs and many games, and it's very much heading in the right direction, and as far as Yoshida's statements goes there's a kernel of decency in the idea of trying to empathize, and maybe the particular tone is strictly a result of a sapir-whorf translation miscommunication or tempered by a perceived recognition of the realities of cultural shifts,

but drat if it's not disappointing to hear the same sentiment twice and not have it unambiguously be on the idea of gay and trans people deserving recognition and acceptance regardless of the intolerance of others.

It's definitely one reason why I still play TOR now and then. FF14 is better about LGBT representation and recognition than WoW, but both companies still have a long way to go.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's definitely an interesting real world analogy in there, what with literal fat cats sacrificing innocent people to monsters in order to maintain their decadent way of life, but I dunno, it feels a little too on the nose.

*huge bong rip* what if... what if the the sin eaters are capitalism?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I find it helps to mentally calibrate to Japan being about early-90s US in terms of gay rights. Just have to hope they get there if we want to enjoy things like video games as a hobby.

Eh, it varies. In some ways Japan is actually way more progressive than even early-90s US, and has been for awhile, at least in terms of what kinds of art exist. Like even in the US with gay marriage being enacted as law it was still a controversy when a kid's show showed a gay marriage just this year, and some states even refused to air it. But there's kids shows in Japan that are fairly earnest engaged with that stuff. Heck, Sailor Moon is for like 8 year old girls and it just had an explicitly gay couple who are treated positively in the 90s, that would have caused the end of the world in the US.

It's less a 1:1 comparison and more a difference in scope. The government itself is very reticent about these things and people generally adopt a 'live and let live' sort of attitude, which is how you wind up with few violent anti-LGBT crimes but also how you wind up with people who have very centrist politics, or people who don't say anything openly but talk bad about gay/trans people behind their backs. Support for gay marriage in Japan is actually higher than it was in the US before the US started taking steps to enact it. It's just that, again, Japan's government leans far older and far more conservative than the US's did in the mid-late 2000s, and the public's engagement in politics is way lower. People might support gay rights, but they aren't going to march for them.

Ultimately it's something that's going to have to be resolved via navigating Japan's own unique issues with regards to LGBT rights, rather than hoping they get as woke as the US, because it isn't really something that tracks 1:1, not just in terms of how the majority handles LGBT issues, but how LGBT people in Japan think of themselves. This is why I don't really mind the sentiment of 'there's different countries and different people with different values,' because it's fairly true and makes navigating this kind of thing tricky for a massive international enterprise. It's the weird metaphor that's odd about this, not the sentiment itself.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 14, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah every company does it but usually you dont have the face of the game outright say "we want lgbt money but have to be careful not to alienate bigots"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

somepartsareme posted:

yeah every company does it but usually you dont have the face of the game outright say "we want lgbt money but have to be careful not to alienate bigots"

Somehow still less blunt than last time's "If we get too gay we're going to piss off South Korea"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

At least part of it is probably that he has to be very choosy about his words thanks to stuff like China's ban on LGBT+ stuff in media. The last thing SE corporate is going to want is for him to bring down the wrath of God on their operations in China.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't mind his dumb centrist take, but I think tying it to the game's expansion themes was really, really stupid.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't mind his dumb centrist take, but I think tying it to the game's expansion themes was really, really stupid.

It is

That's what game designer brain does, though

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

HOW DARE YOU.

YOU WILL TREAT TG CID WITH THE PROPER FEAR AND HUMILITY HE IS OWED.

alternate post: Please flee from TG Cid single-file in an orderly fashion.

alternate alternate post: Found the loser who never played FFT!

I owned an original PS1 copy of FFT, the one that went for like $100 on secondary markets for a long time because they didn't press enough copies. I played the poo poo out of it. :colbert:

Nevertheless, FFXIV's treatment makes his personality a bit more, uh, grandiose than I originally pictured him. Butt I don't mean that in a bad way, fight is fun and the constant give commentary just adds to it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Have you considered if things were too good, that might be bad?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Leofish posted:

I'm excited for the new WHM spell Dia to be added to auto-translate so I can chat it alongside a link to some Rhea.

it's pronounce "dee-ah," you simpleton, you buffoon

Fister Roboto posted:

There's definitely an interesting real world analogy in there, what with literal fat cats sacrificing innocent people to monsters in order to maintain their decadent way of life, but I dunno, it feels a little too on the nose.

*huge bong rip* what if... what if the the sin eaters are capitalism?

i have been entirely sober for weeks and i will unironically pontificate upon similar themes. do not test me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

World War Mammories posted:

it's pronounce "dee-ah," you simpleton, you buffoon

i have been entirely sober for weeks and i will unironically pontificate upon similar themes. do not test me

sober, blazed, what's the difference, capitalism is poo poo

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Draxion posted:

It is

That's what game designer brain does, though

Considering how catastrophically their team seems to crunch I would not be terribly surprised if the dude was seeing allusions to Shadowbringers in his morning cereal. Guy needs a vacation, stat.

Also, frankly,

FactsAreUseless posted:

This. Grading on a curve, it's still pretty good. I mean poo poo, grading on a curve of gaming in general this week it's fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

porfiria posted:

Have you considered if things were too good, that might be bad?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cabbit posted:

This. Grading on a curve, it's still pretty good. I mean poo poo, grading on a curve of gaming in general this week it's fine.
There's multiple japanese games, fairly big releases at that, from the actual 90s that were way clearer and upfront about gay stuff and didn't quibble about it, lol