Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

he's not a fit for his chosen medium

any game where he's touted as an influence is notable for enormous blocks of prose and not for how that writing is incorporated with the game itself

and no, alpha protocol doesn't count
KOTOR 2 tied RPG mechanics into its story, namely when it comes to the true powers of the Exile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that ending, chris really knocked Kotor 2 out the park there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

KOTOR 2 tied RPG mechanics into its story, namely when it comes to the true powers of the Exile.
honestly kotor 2 always had a massive plot/gameplay disconnect to me because the story was all about how both extremes of the force were stupid but the game didn't reward you at all for staying neutral and if anything massively punished you for it because you could only give your party members forcepowers by going super hard one way or the other

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Avellone the guy who recently said nothing he's ever written is political in any way and shamed anyone who 'put politics' into videogames?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

that ending, chris really knocked Kotor 2 out the park there
It really wasn't Avellone and Obsidian's fault that Lucas Arts forced them to make the game in a truncated dev cycle.

The Restoration Mod at least fixes the ending to at least give some decent closure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

honestly kotor 2 always had a massive plot/gameplay disconnect to me because the story was all about how both extremes of the force were stupid but the game didn't reward you at all for staying neutral and if anything massively punished you for it because you could only give your party members forcepowers by going super hard one way or the other

You can't access the advanced prestige classes if you are neutral either

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

The point was more that the Force itself is bad because it forces you into thay dichotomy by rewarding you for extreme behavior.

The more muddled part was being able to train a bunch of companions to be force users and how you could solve everything with force lightning. Also not being able to go along with Kreia's plan

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I ended the game with no magic much higher than level 4 so the damage output was negligible.

I seriously played the game as casually as possible, just beelining from one area to the next and only using magic in boss fights. I could've avoided a headache by just grinding for an hour at most but I really wanted the game to be over by the third visit to that bird's goddamn mountain.

Germany had a bunch of sweet big SNES bundles. I want that Terranigma set, dammit.

Welp, looks like we're different enough that comparisons won't make much sense. I like ARPGs for the joy of killing poo poo mostly, so what others see as grinding was just more added fun. That leads to unfair things like one player having level 4 in magic at best, and another one is insane enough to bring all magic up to level 9 until he has seen all the special max level animations. Also of course, all weapons must be maxed! And then that rear end in a top hat has the gall to be disappointed when all bosses are vaporized in under 5 minutes. :v:

Edit:

I had the guides for Lufia II, Terranigma, Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore. It was nice, sure, but I felt a bit coddled by this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Avellone the guy who recently said nothing he's ever written is political in any way and shamed anyone who 'put politics' into videogames?

Yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

The point was more that the Force itself is bad because it forces you into thay dichotomy by rewarding you for extreme behavior.
In that case shouldn't' there have been dialogue and options for a full 'forceless' playthrough? I mean of course Lucas Arts wouldn't have let them get away with that considering 'be a jedi!!' is the marketing push for almost every star wars game ever made, but still, that doesn't change that the game would've had a clearer gameplay/plot connection with that as an option.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

In that case shouldn't' there have been dialogue and options for a full 'forceless' playthrough? I mean of course Lucas Arts wouldn't have let them get away with that considering 'be a jedi!!' is the marketing push for almost every star wars game ever made, but still, that doesn't change that the game would've had a clearer gameplay/plot connection with that as an option.
The game was rushed out by Lucas Arts so maybe Obsidian would have done this if they were actually given a full dev cycle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, yeah, but that doesn't change the game we got having that kind of disconnect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Oh absolutely. I meant more specifically the game criticizes the player and the Force for blindly rewarding anything light side/dark side without thinking about any further implications. The lack of a 'gently caress the Force, I'm with Kreia' route means all the criticism goes nowhere and exists to 'make you think'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also it's slightly weird that the first instance of criticism is kreia responding to you giving money to a homeless guy and saying "you idiot. you fool. you absolute loving dumbass. you hosed up. you should have known this was a stupid thing"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

also it's slightly weird that the first instance of criticism is kreia responding to you giving money to a homeless guy and saying "you idiot. you fool. you absolute loving dumbass. you hosed up. you should have known this was a stupid thing"

That scene really made me think.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nar Shadda is just strangely badly written compared to the rest of the game in general really.

People poo poo on Peragus but Nar Shadda was the worst part of the game for me.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 14, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's also funny because new vegas is like, the complete opposite of that, with stuff like the energy tower sidequest treating helping out freeside or at least equally distributing power across the mojave as a perfectly sensible option. a lot of that is probably because a lot of new vegas was written by people other than chris avellone, but it's still a funny contrast

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Every Bioware game has some Libertarian dickhole that rips on you for helping people because they have to help themselves or whatever. I'm playing Jade Empire and I never let that Sagacious guy in my party because every interjection is "You shouldn't have said 'bless you' when that dude sneezed, now he's a burder on the state and will be forever!"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's also funny because new vegas is like, the complete opposite of that, with stuff like the energy tower sidequest treating helping out freeside or at least equally distributing power across the mojave as a perfectly sensible option. a lot of that is probably because a lot of new vegas was written by people other than chris avellone, but it's still a funny contrast

I don't think you are supposed to treat Kreia as necessarily being right though.

Also in that beggar convo Kreia complains at you no matter what you choose

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

It also conflicts with Kreia's ultimate goal of wanting to liberate everyone from the Force.

So as said Nar Shadda is a mess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Every Bioware game has some Libertarian dickhole that rips on you for helping people because they have to help themselves or whatever. I'm playing Jade Empire and I never let that Sagacious guy in my party because every interjection is "You shouldn't have said 'bless you' when that dude sneezed, now he's a burder on the state and will be forever!"

Morrigan I just want the quest rewards stop making fun of me

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like KOTOR 2 quite a bit but Nar Shadda is not very good on replays.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zore posted:

Oh absolutely. I meant more specifically the game criticizes the player and the Force for blindly rewarding anything light side/dark side without thinking about any further implications. The lack of a 'gently caress the Force, I'm with Kreia' route means all the criticism goes nowhere and exists to 'make you think'

i never actually played the game, but as i understand it a "siding with kreia" option wouldn't make sense anyway

her loathing of the force is just part of a larger rejection of moral fundamentalism, so she's constantly playing ideological hotfoot with the player character, criticizing everything they do so that they're never comfortable accepting any one option as self-obviously right or wrong. kreia has no "side" to join, and she would probably call the exile an idiot for trying

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

also if you just choose 'mildly polite' options you end up 75% towards lightside very quickly and then kreia gives you the 'i am worried...about you...' talk as if youve totally bought into the jedi's monk teachings

The Colonel posted:

i interpreted kreia as like. she doesnt really care what you do as long as you listen to her so she will use whatever chance she can to try to get you to see her as 'wise,' even potentially manipulating things so that the pc will fail and she can say 'SHOULDVE LISTENED TO ME' but that was a weird place to do it because it's just the most innocuous action and there are surely other parts of the game where the lesson she tries to impart there could have been better applied

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

i never actually played the game, but as i understand it a "siding with kreia" option wouldn't make sense anyway

her loathing of the force is just part of a larger rejection of moral fundamentalism, so she's constantly playing ideological hotfoot with the player character, criticizing everything they do so that they're never comfortable accepting any one option as self-obviously right or wrong. kreia has no "side" to join, and she would probably call the exile an idiot for trying
She is ultimately trying to train the Exile to be able to beat the True Sith, which KOTOR 2 hints at them being so alien from the main Stars Wars galaxy that the Exile needs to remove themselves from the Jedi/Sith dichotomy to fight them like Revan was going to.

Of course Old Republic just made the True Sith just like bog standard Sith.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Her rejection of the Force is a personal thing, not really a rejection of moral fundamentalism. She feels wronged after spending her life exploring both sides of the Force and ultimately concluding it is empty and devoid of meaning. She latches onto the player because they got turned into a 'hole' in the Force, a psychic lamprey that siphons it from everyone around them, and ultimately hopes to use them to ascend beyond the Force's weird Jedi/Sith dichotomy to face some super enemy that's coming.

She also has a whole bunch of personal hangups because she's always been a teacher of some kind and ultimately can't stop trying to teach the player character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kreia is great because she is completely right but ultimately the only reason she is doing anything is for extremely petty reasons. A bitter old women lashing out for the sleights she has received

She is definitely one of the better video game villians

The one thing I don’t like is making Revan Space Jesus

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 14, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't think you are supposed to treat Kreia as necessarily being right though.

Also in that beggar convo Kreia complains at you no matter what you choose
The game also cuts away to show that Kreia's right no matter what you choose, though. It's just one of the worst dialogue bits in the game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The one thing I don’t like is making Revan Space Jesus

I feel like that's inevitable in any sort of sequel where the player character from the first game isn't the player character this time around.

Either they're evil and you're working to undo what they did (optionally, they come around to your side or you come around to theirs and it becomes a team up), they're Superjesus and basically legendary (doesn't preclude the former though), or they might as well not even exist outside of some throwaway fanservice dialogue. Or they just get shoved into the 'mentor' closet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GulagDolls posted:

also if you just choose 'mildly polite' options you end up 75% towards lightside very quickly and then kreia gives you the 'i am worried...about you...' talk as if youve totally bought into the jedi's monk teachings
That's just Bioware Moral Choices, though. You're either a Good Guy, or you're eating a breakfast of puppies you kicked the night before, no middle ground.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Levantine posted:

It has been 20 some years since I last played SD3 - I chose a team of Duran/Riesz/Hawk. For promotions, do I want to send Duran towards Light for healing or am I fine without it? I remember Saint Saber being good in the end of the game but his dark path can give him elemental/moon/leaf sabers. I am thinking Light for Riesz for buffs and dark for Hawk (of course).

you definitely want some kind of healer. duran is the way to go.

al-azad posted:

lunar boost is the only way to damage late game bosses without constantly charging attacks and MP absorb is necessary in the later game when a pathetic 4 item slots can't cover all the mp you'll need.

imo charging to 1 isn't a chore at all, any charge will max out your hit rate. alternatively hit their weak point with cheap magic, the only boss you can't clean out by doing this is Dark Lich since he's only vulnerable to a spell that costs 8MP

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can I collect all 108 characters and get the good ending in suikoden 2 if I don't do clive's timed quest?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Can I collect all 108 characters and get the good ending in suikoden 2 if I don't do clive's timed quest?

Yeah.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
just youtube clive’s quest

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just recruiting Clive is enough, the timed quest isn't needed for the good ending.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr E posted:

Yeah going on those forums pretty much finished souring me on him.

I got Grieving Mother then stuck her in the stronghold because I'm already a Cipher and she was annoying. I've pretty much stuck with the same party, and didn't use the DLC companions very much, though they seemed fine. I'm not sure if I'll even do the companion quests for any except the ones in my party, but I do need to finish the DLC quests that aren't in the DLC area.

I hated her character on my first playtrough. On a second one her dialogue (and Durances) made a lot more sense, but they still kinda suck. The part where everyone in your party thinks shes just some random peasant woman hanging around is cool tho

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

did he write mask of the betrayer because that game had some good gameplay/plot integration

i liked that you could go maximum bastard and steal all your companion's souls and stick them into a sword that oneshot everything in the game

the lp is worth reading just for the part where it goes over the many horrible ways you can manipulate kaelyn as an evil character

its a very rare instance of a loyalty meter thing that makes sense because you are not just telling her what she wants to hear for friendship points, you are doing it for the express purpose of manipulating her and the game is aware of this

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 15, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Kreia is cool cause she's mostly right but she's also an extremely angry and tired old woman so her mostly interesting philosophy on the hosed up moral failings of either jedi order is tempered with her need to be loving exasperated at all points.

What I'm sayign is RPGs need more annoyed grandmas as party members.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kreia is cool cause she's mostly right but she's also an extremely angry and tired old woman so her mostly interesting philosophy on the hosed up moral failings of either jedi order is tempered with her need to be loving exasperated at all points.

What I'm sayign is RPGs need more annoyed grandmas as party members.

She's not that old is she?

Like her daughter is what, 25ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

She's not that old is she?

Like her daughter is what, 25ish?
She's old, even in the flashbacks to when she was still palling around with Nilhilus and Sion she looks aged.

Like him or not Avellone does make some badass grandma villains.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2019