Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Well he lives in NYC so uh, logically Matt Murdock is his lawyer?

Nah, Jennifer Walters. Who also is annoyed she wasn't portaled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the shows went to poo poo basically instantly, so I think history has vindicated their decision making process.

I will always love that loving James D'Arcy is the only one to make the leap from tv to movies. Good on him.

Hey now, Agents of SHIELD rallied pretty freakin' well, and Agent Carter and Cloak & Dagger were both good from the start...

Now granted most of the other shows did kinda faceplant eventually, but still.

I think the Feige/Perlmutter feud might have more to do with the difficulty getting the shows to cross over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Well he lives in NYC so uh, logically Matt Murdock is his lawyer?

How would he know his blind lawyer is secretly a ninja, he's really dumb for a super smart doctor.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey now, Agents of SHIELD rallied pretty freakin' well, and Agent Carter and Cloak & Dagger were both good from the start...

Now granted most of the other shows did kinda faceplant eventually, but still.

I think the Feige/Perlmutter feud might have more to do with the difficulty getting the shows to cross over.

Allegedly it was because Permlutter had influence over the MCU back before Marvel Studios was made a fully independent entity. At that time, there was a committee headed by Marvel Entertainment execs. This committee is allegedly the reason Whedon stopped working with Marvel and is the reason the biologist in Iron Man 3 went from being the main villain, to the chick that Tony humped and dumped at one point who dies to move the story along.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the shows went to poo poo basically instantly, so I think history has vindicated their decision making process.

Only because they got saddled with Loeb.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loeb and Kinsberg and Ayer should be sealed in a barrel and dropped in the ocean.

I know there is an animation thread, but I don't want to necro it, but I've been binging on Batman TAS and holy poo poo I forgot just how good it is. It has kids episodes, but most of them are surprisingly adult. But the best thing? Batman can be out thought and out fought. He's not a unstoppable god that is 10 steps ahead of everyone. He can have self doubt, he can not know how to win.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They should have just made Typhoid Mary the villain of Jessica Jones season three.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gaunab posted:

They should have just made Typhoid Mary the villain of Jessica Jones season three.

She already had her arc in Daredevil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Medullah posted:

She already had her arc in Daredevil.

She wasn't in Daredevil.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
She was in Iron Fist and they were hinting at her third personality and it being powered.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doh got them mixed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why is this lawyer lady's sex life the b-plot of this season.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Because she is a major character in the show and has been featured in every season and it will most likely tie into the A plot just like it did in season one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Because she is a major character in the show and has been featured in every season and it will most likely tie into the A plot just like it did in season one.

She was a major character in season 1 because her life constantly intersected with Jessica's, in season 2 and this one they just keep cutting to her doing her own poo poo and it's just taking away from the main story. This is the Jessica Jones Show, not the Everyone Who Was In Season One Ensemble Cast Show.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vince MechMahon posted:

I haven't watched Season 3. But from what I remembered of Season 2 of Jessica Jones (which, and I can't state this enough, was worse than Ironfist season 1.) Carrie Anne-Moss's plot in Jessica Jones was completely superfluous.
She has some interactions with the A-Plot, but her own plot (how she was "unfairly" pushed out of her company, for the minor reason of how she slept with her secretary and pinned crimes on her.) had no relevance on the main show.

It was one of the major problems with Jones season 2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You see this a lot in tv shows nowadays, actors have contracts that say they'll only stay on if their character gets so much screen time, so if they're a supporting character that means the show will split its attention from what people actually want to watch just to give these minor characters something to do. I suppose it's a lesser evil than the supporting cast of a show just vanishing after the first two seasons because the actors got a better offer than "show up every 3 episodes to say a couple lines".

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
This is not a take I expected to see in response to the cancelation of Swamp Thing...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/swamp-thing-fucks-and-we-deserve-to-see-it-1835628791

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

I'm only through nine episodes, but because it directly impacts the main story?
Hogarth trying to get back with Kith drives a wedge between her and Malcolm, causes Kith's husband to commit suicide and drives clients away from her law firm, which means she takes Salinger on as a client. More generally, Hogarth is a perfect example of a PeakTV antihero, I'm endlessly fascinated with the character, and if she was on a different show I think there would be more buzz about Moss's performance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The end of Hogarth's plot was honestly one of the better parts of S2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is mega uninteresting. Superheroes aren't supposed to get annoyed that they don't have evidence to pin on a guy if he's just a serial killer with no connections. Just beat the poo poo out of him and web him up with a note.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Vindicate me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the major issues with the Netflix shows is the insane amount of time they spend on side character subplots. I love Alfre Woodward, she's great as Black Mary but she has more screen time than Coulter in s2. I like Rachael Taylor, I like her as Hellcat, but sooooo much time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aren't Woodward and Taylor antagonists and need the character development? Especially Mariah as she was sidelined so much in the back half of Luke Cage S1 due to Diamondback.

I'd say Jerry and Malcomb in Jessica Jones are more worthy of side quests that probably could've been whittled down. But I ended up really enjoying Moss' Jerry plot in JJs3 even though the season was a dud. I felt like of all the characters, Jerry's storyline overall was the best season to season.

I really honestly hate how it ended. I hated the last second Kilgrave voice. I hated the dour, complete downer of a note it all ended on. I hated how characters kept referring to the worst of Marvel-Flix as if it was some brilliant television (Jess' Mom, Luke's brother). Hell despite how much I hated how Diamondback was showcased, I hate how he gets sent to The Raft (which gets mentioned a LOT and we never see it) off screen. I hated that the two second Luke cameo was like the most chemistry she had with another male character forever. I hated that the Feelings guy even existed. I kept waiting for someone to call his powers bullshit nobody ever really does.

When this show hit it on Season 1, it really hit it well. There are season 1 episodes that I will gladly re-watch. But man this was a badly paced season, full of bad dialogue, over acting and characters that are just all over the place. Kind of like the rest of the series.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 21, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

One of the major issues with the Netflix shows is the insane amount of time they spend on side character subplots. I love Alfre Woodward, she's great as Black Mary but she has more screen time than Coulter in s2. I like Rachael Taylor, I like her as Hellcat, but sooooo much time.

That's a symptom of trying to produce the shows like really, really long movies. This serial killer guy would be a fine 3 or even 5 episode villain, but I'm on eppisode 7 so far and Jessica just got a legal and thematic victory over him, a really satisfying one, even, yet there's 5 more episodes to go. If this guy was just a piece of a larger story being told throughout the season, I wouldn't be so tired of him, and the show'd be moving too fast to spend 80 hours on Trish and Hogart.

People endlessly complained about the pacing of the Netflix shows, and kept advocating for a reduced episode count, but the real issue was an unwillingness to resolve stories before the season finale. Kingpin's rise and fall in DD S1 could support 13 episodes. Killgrave and Jessica's war very nearly could, although there was a little bit of "get on with it" there. But these other seasons were begging for a shift in stakes and antagonists, a continuing story, a less decompressed take on the events. Daredevil Season 2 was the only season that tried something like that, shifting from "Holy poo poo, the Punisher!" to dealing with Elektra and The Hand. Unfortunately that latter half was executed horribly and Elektra was terribly cast, so maybe the poor reception scared them from ever changing the formula again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Krypton is still kind of blah but Cameron Cuffe did the Henry Cavill arm reload thing in the new episode and it was actually kind of badass.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Krypton is still kind of blah but Cameron Cuffe did the Henry Cavill arm reload thing in the new episode and it was actually kind of badass.

Yet another example of a white guy getting credit for a thing he stole from a person of color. Roman Reigns, I still remember, buddy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yet another example of a white guy getting credit for a thing he stole from a person of color. Roman Reigns, I still remember, buddy.

Why does a google search not result in Roman Reigns doing this?

This is not the same thing

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

Still think the best part is that Cavill not only reloads his arms but his facial hair.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

That's a symptom of trying to produce the shows like really, really long movies. This serial killer guy would be a fine 3 or even 5 episode villain, but I'm on eppisode 7 so far and Jessica just got a legal and thematic victory over him, a really satisfying one, even, yet there's 5 more episodes to go. If this guy was just a piece of a larger story being told throughout the season, I wouldn't be so tired of him, and the show'd be moving too fast to spend 80 hours on Trish and Hogart.

People endlessly complained about the pacing of the Netflix shows, and kept advocating for a reduced episode count, but the real issue was an unwillingness to resolve stories before the season finale. Kingpin's rise and fall in DD S1 could support 13 episodes. Killgrave and Jessica's war very nearly could, although there was a little bit of "get on with it" there. But these other seasons were begging for a shift in stakes and antagonists, a continuing story, a less decompressed take on the events. Daredevil Season 2 was the only season that tried something like that, shifting from "Holy poo poo, the Punisher!" to dealing with Elektra and The Hand. Unfortunately that latter half was executed horribly and Elektra was terribly cast, so maybe the poor reception scared them from ever changing the formula again.

Luke Cage s1 also did the 6 episode split thing but also had the same problem as DD s2 where the back half was terrible, and imo worse than DDs because at least the Hand pushed into the crazier superhero world and kept Punisher around to keep things sorta interesting , while LC killed off an S-rank actor in a great role and replaced it with a solid actor stuck in a garbage role and story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That was right around the time Ali was blowing up so it's hard to say if the killed him off or not because of availability. They killed off Urich in DD because they wanted Vondie Curtis-Hall for the part but he could/would only do one season.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Same concept.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, one looks badass and the other looks like he's implying that his arm is a penis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zachack posted:

Luke Cage s1 also did the 6 episode split thing but also had the same problem as DD s2 where the back half was terrible, and imo worse than DDs because at least the Hand pushed into the crazier superhero world and kept Punisher around to keep things sorta interesting , while LC killed off an S-rank actor in a great role and replaced it with a solid actor stuck in a garbage role and story.

I mean Diamondback definitely was a tone shift from Cottonmouth but they were part of the same network and knew each other so it's not quite the same as going from Punisher to mystical ninjas, but I feel you.

Rhyno posted:

Nah, one looks badass and the other looks like he's implying that his arm is a penis.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Either way, it appears to me that neither man has the slightest idea how guns work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time Crisis 2 forward tilt reloading action says you are the one who does not know about guns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What did Thompson say? It's been deleted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

What did Thompson say? It's been deleted.

If I remember it was something along the lines of "I like Hellcat, but I didn't sit down intending to watch The Hellcat show"

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Does Too Old To Die Young count as comic book TV since Brubaker co-created and co-wrote it? Because omg is it utterly insanely wild and filled with Brubaker's noir archetypes under the methodical neon burn of NWR's violence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Does Too Old To Die Young count as comic book TV since Brubaker co-created and co-wrote it? Because omg is it utterly insanely wild and filled with Brubaker's noir archetypes under the methodical neon burn of NWR's violence.

Sure, why not.

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1142539509877346304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

For a dude renowned for drawing graphs and charts in the back of all his comics, Hickman is way funnier on social media that you'd think