Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Palemdromes posted:

So should they be burned down? Never visited? You realize they don’t have slaves on them anymore?

Disclaimer, I grew up in southern Louisiana and there are plantations everywhere. My best friend grew up on one. This whole shaming culture around a fixture of my childhood weirds me out.

I don't know, but choosing to have a celebration on the land where people were enslaved, raped, murdered and degraded in every way imaginable seems callous and insensitive at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for calling my spouse a "stupid fat hobbit"?

quote:

So context - there's a scene in Lord of the Rings where Gollum catches a rabbit, and Sam takes it and cooks in a stew. Gollum laments with "You stupid, fat hobbit! You ruins it!" hoping to have eaten it raw. It's one of my favorite movies and my wife like it too and is well aware of this scene (it's the source of the famous po-tay-to viral internet video from way back in the day).

Situation - So my wife and I like a good steak every now and then. We both like them medium rare, but I didn't know until recently how strongly some people feel against well done steaks. Anyway, I've been seeing steak memes a lot lately about people over cooking them, and it was on my mind.

We pawned our kids off to her sisters for the weekend and decided we'd have a nice dinner at home together. She's cooking and I'm doing dishes and clearing the table. She starts searing the steaks when she gets a call. I guess one of our kids thought they left something so my wife goes running up the stairs to go look for something. A couple minutes later she comes rushing down the stairs having remembered the steaks and looks at them and says "Crap! I guess we're having medium well steaks on this side. Oops!"

I immediately come in with "You stupid, fat hobbit! You ruins it!" in a bad Gollum impression. Her brow furrows and her jaw is slightly ajar with a disgusted look on her face. Afraid she missed the reference I start talking about LOTR. She cuts me off and says, "Yeah, I know what it's from, don't ever call me that again, and I'm sorry I ruined your dinner."

I try to explain that I was quoting a movie, not genuinely calling her fat and stupid, and that I didn't believe dinner was actually ruined (I don't mind medium well steak) but that it seemed to oddly fit with Gollum's situation. She wasn't having it. She wanted me to apologize but I didn't see anything to apologize for. We both stubbornly hold our side of things until she says I'm being a real rear end in a top hat. It wasn't worth it to me to push any further so I relent and apologize to mend things but it's really been bugging me. I honestly don't think I did anything wrong, she overreacted and should understand that I would never just come out and call her fat and stupid. And I don't care about medium well steak, it's just been an internet thing lately to hate on well done steaks, but she wasn't seeing my perspective on that either. So reddit, AITA?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

sheri posted:

I don't know, but choosing to have a celebration on the land where people were enslaved, raped, murdered and degraded in every way imaginable seems callous and insensitive at best.

I mean, that’s...pretty much everywhere in the south. You can’t really avoid it. Should people not have weddings in Catholic Churches? Might be condoning child abuse!

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Palemdromes posted:

So should they be burned down? Never visited? You realize they don’t have slaves on them anymore?

Disclaimer, I grew up in southern Louisiana and there are plantations everywhere. My best friend grew up on one. This whole shaming culture around a fixture of my childhood weirds me out.

Plantation weddings have been known to have people dress up in period clothing, which of course then draws that problem of glamorizing slavery. It's not a perfect source but here is an article on plantation weddings and some of the issues surrounding them.
https://www.salon.com/2014/01/05/disturbing_wedding_trend_getting_married_at_a_plantation/

Generally it breaks into erasing slavery, or making light of it. I understand you may have grown up around it, and of course not all people having plantation weddings are bad people, but it definitely has problems.

quote:

Bf [27] very upset/disappointed in me [20F] after concert
Throwaway bc he follows my real account. Last night my bf and I went to a concert for one of my favorite bands. We got lucky bc right when they were opening the door to the venue we were at the front so of course we went all the way front and center in the crowd. Everything was going great, the opener for the band played and we were both drinking a bit. Then the main band comes on and my bf leaves almost immediately when people start moshing, literally about five minutes in. Important to note: the girls next to me were saying how the guitarist was cute and I laughed along with them, which my bf heard.

Alone now, I tried to text him all throughout the show to get him to come back/ask what’s wrong. Eventually he said he was up towards the right of the stage but I couldn’t find him. He said he couldn’t find me but I hadn’t moved the entire time and was waving my arms around so he’d see me. Since I was so close I was able to get really good videos of the band, namely the guitarist literally right in front of me. All throughout the show they would ask the crowd questions, and the girls next to me and I thought it would be funny to try to get him to hit the juul. He declined which was totally fine, but I videoed it and put it on my snap story along with other snaps throughout the concert. Afterwards I actually got a chance to talk to him/take a pic with him as he was leaving the stage.

It was kind of a short set so after their last song I went to go find my bf, he was in the very very back at the bar. He all of a sudden didn’t want to talk to me and asked if I wanted to stay and he would give me money for an Uber home. I said no it’s fine and we left. I was excited to show him all the videos I took since like I said they’re one of my favorite bands. I also showed him the juul video and picture of me meeting the guitarist.

Then otw back home he was super quiet and refused to talk to me (which sucked bc we were stuck in traffic for a loooong time). Eventually he said he would tell me what’s going on, but he just dropped me off at my place, and when I asked about it, he said “I just want to go home.” So I respect that, and he didnt text me until this morning telling me what was wrong: He was “really disappointed in me” for “saying with that girl that that guitarist guy was cute and trying to get him to hit your juul, I didn’t expect any of that or know you were like that ig, I wouldn’t have done the same to you.” Am I in the wrong here? I’m just really confused and upset about the whole thing.

quote:

UPDATE: Bf [27] very upset/disappointed in me [20] after concert
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments on the previous post. Linkie:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationsh...tm_term=enabled

We broke up. He said he doesn’t want to be with someone who doesn’t feel the same about him, and that I broke his trust and loyalty, not a quality he is looking for in a gf. We have been dating since November.

I tried telling him that he is blowing it out of proportion and that I believed we were strong and mature enough to make it work. He said last night made him realize we weren’t on the same page anymore, and that it was his fault for telling me how he felt about me (loved me) a couple months ago.

This stings super bad right now, especially because I have a class with him starting in two weeks lol. But I think it might be for the best. All the red flags of jealousy, immaturity, and insecurity that I didn’t even see, wow. Well, wish me luck, gonna go finish my shift even though Ive been bawling for the past hour.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Pinecone Sample posted:

Jesus Christ just apologize, your joke didn't go over well.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pinecone Sample posted:

quote:

It's one of my favorite movies and my wife like it too

Your wife tolerates it because you love it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’ve been to a bunch of plantation weddings and they were just normal affairs in a pretty natural setting. I imagine the period clothing weddings are idiots not from around here. Or just racists. But yeah in that context they’re pretty gross, I won’t defend that.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Palemdromes posted:

So should they be burned down?

Yes

Palemdromes posted:

Never visited?

Yes

Palemdromes posted:

You realize they don’t have slaves on them anymore?

Yes

:)

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Palemdromes posted:

think about the type of people who want to travel to louisiana to have a wedding on a plantation. its generally paula dean i want a slave theme wedding not i want my wedding on this cool big house.

Also unironically tear them down and use the land to build afforadable housing

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Absolutely don’t send your kid to college at 13 but where are people getting the idea it’s a community college? In-state tuition at a 4yr university can go as low as 5k/yr. It’s explicitly books/fees/living costs/OOS/private that gives the astronomical numbers

Though, you know, they’re offering her over $50k for free which is also a pretty astronomical number to most normal people

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 16, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sagebrush posted:

If she's already getting accepted to schools at 13, she can absolutely keep studying for another couple of years and get a perfect score on her SAT and ACT and I'm sure win a bunch of other awards and she'll get into Harvard or Yale with a full scholarship and not ruin her life.
That's not how it works ime. The market at 13-14 is dramatically different than the market at 17. After eighth grade, I was being offered a ton of free college tuition and all kinds of perks, but my parents made me turn it down to "be normal." By the time I was 17, the competition had gotten enormously stronger. I had perfect test scores, which was good for being a National Merit Scholar but not much else; I didn't even get into an Ivy. I had plenty of extracurriculars and poo poo, but when I toured Harvard, they specifically said they want kids who are soloing at Carnegie Hall by that age, not just leading their school's orchestra. You have to be winning on an international level by then. (Or a legacy kid.)

Tl;dr because I didn't get to take those opportunities at 12-13, I wasted years and took out huge student loans. Don't be like me

quote:

How much you wanna bet this school that will pay her to go there for the novelty of having a 13-year-old undergraduate is like Bumfuck University at Nowhere anyway
that's true though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pinecone Sample posted:

LOTR fans that quote it over and over irl 18 years after the premiere can go die in a fire.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Anyway dual enrollment or early college high school programs offer most of the benefits for baby geniuses in terms of money and mental stimulation while not literally removing them from interacting with people their age so they should do that tbh

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 16, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The stories of guys in their late 20s being total bitch babies because their 20 year old girlfriends acted like 20 year olds will never get old. They want the 20 year olds to just stay in and cater to them every day and skip all the stuff that normal 20 year olds do. Dating women their own age is just too tough as the older women can easily see how their skin is like rice paper.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

AITA for confronting a woman for staring at my husband on the train?

quote:

This happened yesterday. I was on my way to the mall with my husband and toddler. There was this woman standing near us on the train that kept looking at my husband. It seemed to me like she was checking him out. Our entire ride lasted about 20-25 minutes and she was looking at him almost the entire time. My husband didn’t seem to notice but he’s oblivious when it comes to things like that.

The woman got off at the same stop that we did. At this stop you have to walk up to the top platform to exit. And by this time I’m watching the woman as well. And she still keeps looking! At this point I’m convinced she’s trying to make eye contact.

When we all got up the stairs I decided to say something. My husband had my daughter in his arms and I asked him if he could go refill our metro card. While he was occupied, I walked up to the woman and asked why she kept staring at my husband. She goes “Oh I wasn’t. I was just zoned out”. I can’t remember my exact phrasing but I basically said “Well you should probably watch how you stare at men when they’re out with their families.” After that I just walked off.

I have this bad tendency to replay situations over and over so I’ve been thinking about that incident again this morning. Some opinions on whether I was in the wrong would be much appreciated.

Edit: I was trying to respond to people’s questions in the comments but they’re all getting downvoted/buried, so I guess people can’t see. I explained why I know she wasn’t staring because of my child and why I think it unlikely that she was “zoned out”. I also explained why, from my perspective, it was fairly obvious my husband and I were a couple. I don’t really have anything else to add. Clearly people think I’m the rear end in a top hat and that’s fine. I guess I overreacted.

On another note, I am a little shocked by the number of people making negative comments about what they imagine my physical appearance and that of my husband and child to be. But I guess that’s the internet for you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Palpek posted:

YTA.

Next!

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Or give them to the descendants of the slaves, many of whom are the illegitimate offspring of the plantation’s original owners and still live in the surrounding economically depressed area.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Palpek posted:

Edit: If you think I'm the rear end in a top hat then consider this, I actually said even more poo poo than in the op and I told her our whole life story also

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

How can I [33 M] learn to be more patient of my one-year partner's [33 F] backseat driving?

quote:

TLDR: I have a great relationship with my girlfriend almost all of the time, except when I'm driving and she's constantly backseat driving which is slowly driving me nuts, eventually making me snap. We've talked about it, but it keeps happening and since I think she'll always do it to some extent, how can I learn to be more patient with it?

Long story: My girlfriend will constantly tell me what is happening and/or what to do on the road while I drive, at the same time that I've seen it and that I plan on acting on it.

For example, the exact second that the light turns green, she will tell me that the light is green. The second there is a car in front of me slowing down to turn left, she will tell me to go to the right lane, because the car in front of me is turning left. And so on. She is telling me these things just as I'm about to react to things that I've already seen myself and was planning on doing safely (for example: I will NOT switch lane without first checking my blind spot for incoming cars/cyclists and turning my signal).

Her comments are not a regarding safety issues like missing a stop sign, they're just routine comments on driving and it's constantly interrupting the flow of conversation.

I genuinely do think I'm a good driver - no accidents no tickets, no close-calls, and I'm not getting honked, so I don't think it's my driving at issue. I've talked about it with her - she does think I'm a good driver, but she says she comments while I drive because she's "trying to be helpful". Except it doesn't help me, it just stresses me out. She has her own car too, and when she drives, I virtually never comment on her driving, so it's not reciprocal.

I've tried to stay receptive and accept it, but eventually I've snapped, and it's putting a stain on the relationship. Example:

Me: [Telling random story about what happened the last few days.]

Her: Left on the next street.

Me: Thank you.

Her: You can turn right on red.

Me: Yup, thanks.

Her: The lanes are merging.

Me: I know.

Her: There are two lanes again.

Me: Yup!

Her: Light's green.

Me: Thanks.

Her: Go to the right lane!

Me: I can go straight on this lane.

Her: But the car in front is turning left!

Me: I know it's turning left, can I please focus on my driving??

Her: I WANT you to focus on driving!

Me: Why don't you just let me drive - I didn't need to switch to the right lane, and was going to do so anyways, when it was safe because I was making sure that the cyclists we just passed weren't taking the whole right lane, that's all!

Her: Why are you snapping at me, I'm just trying to be helpful!!

Me: I'm not snapping at you, I'm just explaining why I did not switch the the right lane at the exact second.

Her: Then why is your voice pitch elevated?

Me: Okay so you're not interested in the story I was saying, that's fine. Just let me drive. Thanks.

Her: silence treatment for several minutes.

Me: What's wrong?

Her: We'll talk about it when I get home.

And then at home of course the only problem is that I "snapped" when she was trying to be "helpful", and that I'm making such a big deal of her trying to be helpful and not appreciating it. I said I'm sorry for snapping, and asked her to please wait two seconds when she has helpful "advice" for me on the road before actually giving me the advice so that I actually have time to react before hearing her advice - but it keeps happening. Ultimately, I also need to be more patient about receiving unsolicited advice and comments on my driving.

Do you have advice, Reddit? How can I become more patient? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chemtrail huffer posted:

How can I [33 M] learn to be more patient of my one-year partner's [33 F] backseat driving?

Take separate cars or just let her drive all the time.

That would drive me nuts as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That’s how my mom was when I was first learning to drive. I had to tell her to shut up because I was more at risk of crashing with her nitpicking everything and distracting me. The first time I started driving on my own I made exactly one mistake on an interstate I had never driven on and nothing else, even in hurricane-like Florida storms.

She’s actually making him more likely to have an accident with her constant distractions, which you just know she’ll blame on him not listening to her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Palemdromes posted:

Should people not have weddings in Catholic Churches? Might be condoning child abuse!

Unironically yes

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

chemtrail huffer posted:

:sever: with Hyacinth Bucket (it's pronounced boo-kay)

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting married at a concentration camp because it’s part of my culture: if you find this distasteful, you hate history.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

Getting married at a concentration camp because it’s part of my culture: if you find this distasteful, you hate history.

Nice I was waiting to see how long it took for someone to make that connection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Anne Whateley posted:

when I toured Harvard, they specifically said they want kids who are soloing at Carnegie Hall by that age, not just leading their school's orchestra. You have to be winning on an international level by then. (Or a legacy kid.)

Tl;dr because I didn't get to take those opportunities at 12-13, I wasted years and took out huge student loans. Don't be like me

Are you saying that you applied to Harvard as a music student? Getting a free ride in the performing arts is like an order of magnitude more difficult than just your normal academic competitiveness. Yes, you would have to be a nationally known talent and obviously the school orchestra wouldn't cut it -- no more than being the captain of the football team means you're going to Stanford on a football scholarship.

It's not that way if you're just trying to get a scholarship to do pre-med. Perfect test scores and some level of renown beyond academics (like winning major science fairs) will do it. There's no reason she couldn't achieve that if she's able to handle college courses at 13 and takes a couple of years.

Also note that all of the biggest names have a "if you can get in, you can afford it" policy; they'll ask for the last ten years of your parents' tax returns, determine what they think you should pay, and cover the rest. That does backfire on some people but if these parents are worrying about $6k and textbooks bankrupting them, and their daughter got into MIT, they'd likely end up paying nothing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember going to a former plantation baron’s house in Savannah and doing a tour. He had the slaves cooped up in a small building with a little coal fireplace where the only decoration was a traditional blue painted ceiling. Meanwhile the mansion had a loving bridge inside for the double staircase from the entry hall and Greco-Roman aesthetics that the slaves were expected to dutifully keep clean.

The owner was a proponent of the Indian Removal Act because it would open up land for more slave labor.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Palemdromes posted:

Turn them into neighborhoods and strip malls like every other piece of land in america :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember going to a former plantation baron’s house in Savannah and doing a tour. He had the slaves cooped up in a small building with a little coal fireplace where the only decoration was a traditional blue painted ceiling. Meanwhile the mansion had a loving bridge inside for the double staircase from the entry hall and Greco-Roman aesthetics that the slaves were expected to dutifully keep clean.

The owner was a proponent of the Indian Removal Act because it would open up land for more slave labor.

It’s funny that people un-ironically think they should be burned down or removed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sagebrush posted:

Are you saying that you applied to Harvard as a music student? Getting a free ride in the performing arts is like an order of magnitude more difficult than just your normal academic competitiveness. Yes, you would have to be a nationally known talent and obviously the school orchestra wouldn't cut it -- no more than being the captain of the football team means you're going to Stanford on a football scholarship.

It's not that way if you're just trying to get a scholarship to do pre-med. Perfect test scores and some level of renown beyond academics (like winning major science fairs) will do it. There's no reason she couldn't achieve that if she's able to handle college courses at 13 and takes a couple of years.
No, I was just applying as an English major. Harvard specifically said that to be admitted, you need to be competitive on a national level in all areas and competitive on an international level in at least one or two areas. Like even as an English major I should have been not just getting perfect scores with regular extracurriculars, but getting perfect scores with internationally impressive extracurriculars. (Again, or a legacy.)

And this was like 15 years ago. It's only gotten more competitive since.

quote:

Also note that all of the biggest names have a "if you can get in, you can afford it" policy; they'll ask for the last ten years of your parents' tax returns, determine what they think you should pay, and cover the rest. That does backfire on some people but if these parents are worrying about $6k and textbooks bankrupting them, and their daughter got into MIT, they'd likely end up paying nothing.
I went to NYU :eng99:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

chemtrail huffer posted:

My dad was doing this to me when I first started driving. When I would start shouting at him to shut up he'd be like 'you can't drive while being so upset!' - 'then stop upsetting me!' He'd huff and puff the rest of the evening.

He also totalled every car he ever drove and always had a complex explaination how it wasn't his fault. Love you dad but seriously shut up about other people's driving.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

My dad was doing this to me when I first started driving. When I would start shouting at him to shut up he'd be like 'you can't drive while being so upset!' - 'then stop upsetting me!' He'd huff and puff the rest of the evening.

He also totalled every car he ever drove and always had a complex explaination how it wasn't his fault. Love you dad but seriously shut up about other people's driving.

Ugh, it’s true. Backseat drivers are always demonstrably terrible drivers. I think that micromanaging people makes them feel like they have some high level of driving knowledge that other people just don’t possess, which is why other people are just constantly crashing into them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Having a wedding at a place where numerous human rights abuses and atrocities took place is tacky at best.

Plantations should be given to the descendents of slaves or turned into monuments to the horrors of slavery.

Also the guy who said "my friend grew up on one" is loving hilarious. Yes your friend grew up in a monument to white supremacy in a white supremacist culture I'm not surprised you don't see the problem.

The union should've burned it all to the ground but 🤷🏾‍♀️

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Palemdromes posted:

I mean, that’s...pretty much everywhere in the south. You can’t really avoid it. Should people not have weddings in Catholic Churches? Might be condoning child abuse!

You say that like it's unreasonable, but actually it's good to not get married by an institution that protects child rapists, and it's also good to not celebrate the brutality of the antebellum south

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

You say that like it's unreasonable, but actually it's good to not get married by an institution that protects child rapists, and it's also good to not celebrate the brutality of the antebellum south

Having a wedding in a pretty area with a bad history isn’t celebrating slavery, but go off.

If we took this dumbass logic to it’s fullest extent then there could be no celebrations in the south at all, black or white, because our soil is irrevocably stained with atrocity. The land I grew up on was the site of the Thibodaux Massacre. Clearly my childhood birthday parties were celebrations of white supremacy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

WIBTA if I point out to my friend that she double dips and is just generally gross when eating dip?

quote:

So I have this friend Emma. So as the title says, she double dips stuff, like crackers or fries into dips. We'll be at a get together or out at a restaurant sharing appetizers and she'll just smoosh her half eaten fry back into the sauce/dip.

She also has these super long acrylic nails that she'll dig into the dip if she drops her chip. I know that she gets the dip under them because she'll lick them to get the dip out. Then she'll wipe her fingers on the couch, even though the host has deliberately given her a napkin because she's noticed her wiping her hands on the couch.

So, once we've seen her contaminate the dip my other friend and I will stop eating it and Emma will polish it off. Kinda sucks when we're all splitting the cost.

I don't know, is their a diplomatic way to bring it to her attention or WIBTA if I brought it up?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palemdromes posted:

Having a wedding in a pretty area with a bad history isn’t celebrating slavery, but go off.

If we took this dumbass logic to it’s fullest extent then there could be no celebrations in the south at all, black or white, because our soil is irrevocably stained with atrocity. The land I grew up on was the site of the Thibodaux Massacre. Clearly my childhood birthday parties were celebrations of white supremacy.

If you as an adult can joyfully marry on an estate that exists literally because of a genocide, you’re a sociopath. I love the AAVE sign off too. Blacks: good enough to steal slang from; not good enough to listen to when we say maybe don’t pay the descendants of slave owners more money to get married on their pretty mass grave.

Also nice pretending that the appeal isn’t precisely the antebellum “charm.” Very good faith.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Koalas March posted:

Having a wedding at a place where numerous human rights abuses and atrocities took place is tacky at best.

Plantations should be given to the descendents of slaves or turned into monuments to the horrors of slavery.

Also the guy who said "my friend grew up on one" is loving hilarious. Yes your friend grew up in a monument to white supremacy in a white supremacist culture I'm not surprised you don't see the problem.

The union should've burned it all to the ground but 🤷🏾‍♀️

I won’t disagree with your second paragraph. There ARE plantations owned by the mixed race descendants of slaves, and they’re way better about teaching the history, but guess what: they still host weddings because black people gotta make money too.

I can admit they may be tacky. But weddings are in general pretty tacky so in the list of things to get pissed about, this is pretty far down.

My friend was black, btw. I didn’t bring it up because it’s not really relevant until someone accuses him of white supremacy, which I’m sure he would think is hilarious.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palemdromes posted:

I won’t disagree with your second paragraph. There ARE plantations owned by the mixed race descendants of slaves, and they’re way better about teaching the history, but guess what: they still host weddings because black people gotta make money too.

I can admit they may be tacky. But weddings are in general pretty tacky so in the list of things to get pissed about, this is pretty far down.

My friend was black, btw. I didn’t bring it up because it’s not really relevant until someone accuses him of white supremacy, which I’m sure he would think is hilarious.

I’m Black, and I am saying that your Black friend is engaging in white supremacy. I don’t care how hilarious he finds it, because Black people perpetuate antiBlackness all the time when they uphold white institutions like, say, a slave plantation being a wedding site. I don’t know why you think changes anything. Black people don’t all agree about what is racist or lovely because we are not a monolith.

Also, lol at a white person telling us this is low down on the list to get upset about like I don’t literally have family in poverty while their white cousins live richly on the plantation a few miles away. Blood relations except the Black ones are all illegitimate and the white and white passing one’s are still investing the money they made off the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I am also black and Jesus it's something special when non black folks don't realize that a lot of black people have internalized white supremacy and they don't have to be or act like uncle Ruckus to do so.

Speaking of the Boondocks: