Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

Even at the height of the show’s fame that seems like excessively haughty behavior for a sitcom star, like, drat lmao

She was off her rocker at the time. Tom Arnold says he would have to take her to kids dance classes because one of her personalities was 4 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Its funny, in the 90s Al Bundy's life was a nightmare but today you look at him with his large house, his (imo) attractive wife and so on, all on a single salary... I'm jealous tbh.

A retail worker's paycheck no less.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Quote-Unquote posted:

it's cool how america is so bad at sports that they have invented their own two sports that the entire rest of the planet thinks are stupid as gently caress. And those sports have to stop every two minutes for commercials, lol.
it's impossible to be bad at soccer all you have to do is wait for the opposing team to lightly graze you and react as if vegeta is punching you into a crater

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

There was that year that the US made a showing at the World Cup. When we got knocked in out in a game where our goalie blocked like twenty shots on goal, lots of European announcers smugly snubbed the team by saying they weren't good at faking injuries and that's why they lost. I couldn't have been more proud of our team.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cubone posted:

it's impossible to be bad at soccer all you have to do is wait for the opposing team to lightly graze you and react as if vegeta is punching you into a crater

That's only for professional fútbol players. You watch some kids playing on the street and they will fall and bleed and crack their teeth open and they'll get up and rub some dirt on it and proceed as normal

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Roseanne's not senile, she's genuinely brain damaged - she got hit by a car in her teens and a hood ornament punctured her brain, and she's been insane for as long as anyone's known about her.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Roseanne's not senile, she's genuinely brain damaged - she got hit by a car in her teens and a hood ornament punctured her brain, and she's been insane for as long as anyone's known about her.
eh. they took out a chunk of my brain when I was an infant because it was pushing into my sinus, and I'm perfectly Tuesday

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

That's only for professional fútbol players. You watch some kids playing on the street and they will fall and bleed and crack their teeth open and they'll get up and rub some dirt on it and proceed as normal

And also a lot worse in the top leagues. Go and watch League 1/2 football in the UK and it’s almost a contact sport with much less riling around on the grass than if you were at a Premiership match.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

they could sue you

That's a good enough deterrent to refer to it as "the Big Game"

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
In the latest episode it's revealed via a remade flashback ned is actually rich because the million dollar birthday fries actually cost a million dollars, which causes homer to befriend Ned to get some of that money for demoxonyl again!
Starring lil Wayne as the talking money pile and Dave Chappelle as a talking french fry

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nonviolent J posted:

In the latest episode it's revealed via a remade flashback ned is actually rich because the million dollar birthday fries actually cost a million dollars, which causes homer to befriend Ned to get some of that money for demoxonyl again!
Starring lil Wayne as the talking money pile and Dave Chappelle as a talking french fry

I give up, is this a real episode?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

I hate when "is poor" is an important/often referenced trait of main characters in comedies because the writers pretty much never follow through with it. Bob's Burgers is the worst for this. They're constantly referencing how they have no money, can't make rent and their tiny restaurant is perpetually empty, but at the same time they're plunking down money for $300 chef knives, expensive summer camps, high end drones and etc. I don't know why they even make them poor when they never do anything funny with it (which, to be fair, is pretty difficult) and it's a constant source of cognitive dissonance.

TV poor is “every major purchase is a source of dramatic conflict.”

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

The Bible posted:

I give up, is this a real episode?

It's actually not! You'll have to wait until autumn sometime to be dismayed by new Simpsons plot summaries. So far we have none, but we do know there is one called "Frinkcoin".

Anyway, I remembered that there is an episode where Fat Tony is revealed to have an "identical cousin" called Fit Tony. Fit Tony becomes leader of the Springfield mafia after Fat Tony is killed, and then puts on weight due to the stress of the job - so they start calling him Fat Tony, and thus the status quo is maintained. And I also remembered the episode with the gay horse - we know the horse is gay because he turns on a boom box (with his hoof!) and dances to "It's Raining Men". And the episode where Helen Lovejoy is revealed to have a trans (the show originally used the term "he-she" but presumably people complained) cousin named Stanlerina, and the joke there is just "this trans woman is big and muscular, but wearing a floral dress and lipstick!". This is the same episode in which Abe Simpson is revealed to have been a professional wrestler in his younger days. All of these things made me sad in ways I can't quite articulate nicely, so I am offloading them here in this thread for complaining about new Simpsons. Carry on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

She was off her rocker at the time. Tom Arnold says he would have to take her to kids dance classes because one of her personalities was 4 years old.

Tom Arnold gave a wonderful quote last year when Roseanne got fired along the lines of "Roseanne had 20 different personalities and all of them hated me"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jollity Farm posted:

It's actually not! You'll have to wait until autumn sometime to be dismayed by new Simpsons plot summaries. So far we have none, but we do know there is one called "Frinkcoin".

It's not often that I immediately go YES or NO just based on an episode title, and uh... yeah, no thanks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Episode titles are pretty much a signifier of the show's decline. Starting in Season 9, you start to get more tortured puns. From 10 on, that's pretty much what all of the episode names become.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Homer Badman was a great episode title because it was intentionally stupid

Episode titles like Bart vs. Australia these days would be named “Bartzing Matilda” or “Bartcodile D’oh-dee”

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, a few of us did a thing a while back where we took classic Simpsons jokes and tried to re-write them in the crappy modern style. Then someone suggested it'd be better to write modern Simpsons jokes, but better. I tried to do it for a giggle, but kept running into a block any time I looked at a clip from a new episode. Besides just not being able to watch any of them for all of the pacing and plot reasons, I couldn't really think of how I could improve any given joke. Eventually, I just finally thought "The only way I could improve these jokes would be to not have any of them."

One of the last bits I watched as a kid before I finally gave up on the show was when Homer bought a bunch of crap to plug into his car's cigarette lighter. He gets a popcorn maker, a turntable, a fog machine, a stove, and a bunch of other stuff that distracts him while driving. I think he eventually gets into an accident. Considerable time is spent on this part of the plot. What was the purpose of all of this? Was it to comment on the grand, global trend of people buying lots of stuff to plug into their car and getting into accidents? Well great, you made one of the worst-aging jokes in modern comedy. Was it just to have Homer doing something dumb? Why do you need to have several minutes of set-up on """"lampooning"""" a trend that even the hackiest comedian would have dropped at some point between writing it on their cocktail napkin and using it on open mic night?

*Post-wiki-searching on the episode*

And I was right. This was a set-up for Homer to get injured so that Marge has to drive a bunch of people around. She then accidentally runs Homer over with the car. Dr. Hibbert tells her that she has to wait on Homer during his convalescence. She accidentally hurts him twice so Homer thinks Marge hates him, which turns out to be true. Homer saves the marriage by inviting a bunch of people over for a BBQ, with Jackson Browne as the entertainment. There was literally no point to the stupid car accessory bits, but it took up a third of the episode, while Homer's love of going on walks took up another third. A third of the episode deals with subconscious abuse and hatred in a marriage that in the end is fixed by a barbecue and the guy who sang Somebody's Baby. All of that was pointless, and I think it's all genuinely un-saveable, because it shouldn't be there.

I think I stumbled on the show's modern episode formula, too. Act I is trying to hook people in. This act usually has the highest ratio of "jokes" per-minute. The most common way modern Simpsons does this is by "parodizing" a modern trend: The Simpsons go to the Mapple store, The Simpsons go to an indoor water park, The Simpsons visit the green energy conference, Springfield weighs in on gender-swaps, etc. In this case, this episode uses the second most popular method, which is "Homer says/does a bunch of dumb things and gets hurt." Act 1 ends with a plot hook as a result of what has happened in the plot so far. Act 2 usually jettisons the set-up of Act 1 in favor of activating the "actual" plot. In this case, It's setting up Homer getting hurt by Marge. Act 2 is also usually where the B-plot starts if the writers think the A-plot doesn't have enough Bart or Homer in it. Act 3 is basically if a normal episode of the Simpsons was absolutely gutted down to about 9 minutes and moves at breakneck speed. Marge hates Homer, so Homer fumbles around trying to win her over, and eventually does. The End.

Even something like "Whacking Day" which is not the best for a season 4 episode (meaning it's still really, really good), still keeps what happens in Act 1 as an over-arching plot element. Even the B-plot of Bart getting expelled is tied really well into the A-plot of Lisa's crusade against Whacking Day. This is all while the main plot is still going on. Instead of the modern Simpsons thing of Act 3 being the plot, here it's an over-arching narrative that gives context to jokes that happen in the episode. But with the modern 3-Act system, the context doesn't exist until two-thirds of the way through the episode, so the majority of the jokes can end up being complete random nonsense. I can't even imagine this story being done in modern times, much less having the jokes from it in modern episodes.

I'd also like four Tax Burgers, One IRS-wich (withhold the lettuce), three dependent-sized sodas, and a FICAccino, please.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 5, 2019

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

It's not often that I immediately go YES or NO just based on an episode title, and uh... yeah, no thanks.

I feel it will involve Homer (and a bunch of other characters, including at least one acting uncharacteristically stupidly because "comedy") will sink a load of money (Lisa and Marge will protest, they will go unheeded) into this cryptocurrency. Homer may make a modest amount of money back, but will definitely lose a great deal more, triggering one of the season's obligatory marriage crises. Then the power will go out all over Springfield because of how much energy the venture is using (which should mean Mr Burns is involved somehow, but I don't know how). Everybody will riot because they can't watch TV or look at the internet, and Marge and Homer will kiss and make up for no real reason anyone can discern, while the townspeople smash windows and set things on fire behind them. AVClub will give it a B+.

I had been amusing myself (in a bitter sort of way) by looking at the titles given for season 31, and trying to guess what dreary thing might happen in the episode. But one of the episodes is called "The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson", which rang a bell, so I Googled it and found "The Miseducation of Cameron Post", a film about conversion therapy. I don't even want to think about that one now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jollity Farm posted:

I had been amusing myself (in a bitter sort of way) by looking at the titles given for season 31, and trying to guess what dreary thing might happen in the episode. But one of the episodes is called "The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson", which rang a bell, so I Googled it and found "The Miseducation of Cameron Post", a film about conversion therapy. I don't even want to think about that one now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miseducation_of_Lauryn_Hill

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
So there was a Simpsons panel at E3 and they talked about Tapped Out, the mobile game. I confess I do still play it, it does force you to get a lot of lovely new characters like Moe's sister and Milhouse's uncle who is an Indiana Jones type adventurer for some loving reason, but it kinda feels worth it to play long enough to get classic ones like Mrs Botz and Leopold. Also I'm addicted at this point. The E3 panel assured fans that the game is not dead and updates are still coming. Also the following highlights, taken from this link https://tstoaddicts.com/2019/06/12/simpsons-panel-at-e3-a-recap/ (I didn't actually watch the video cause gently caress that)

-Stewart Burns is essentially “in charge” of TSTO on the writer’s side. And comments about how he has a hard time getting the writers to work on it (although claims it’s better now)
-The writers like to make fun of the players playing TSTO, much to the chagrin of EA
-They commented many times how no one reads the dialogue so they don’t know why they spend so much time on it
-Writers work on the updates individually. Unlike the show, where they work collaboratively.

So they have contempt for their audience and don't give a poo poo about the product they are creating. No different to how they write for the actual show then.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Well that might mean that Lisa raps in that episode, which would be better...but I still don't want to see it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Episode titles like Bart vs. Australia these days would be named “Bartzing Matilda” or “Bartcodile D’oh-dee”

loving bullseye.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I loled at Bartcodile D’oh-dee. Do I have brain damage?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

I loled at Bartcodile D’oh-dee. Do I have brain damage?

I think it’s much funnier than actual Simpsons episode titles

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

DorkusMalorkus posted:

So there was a Simpsons panel at E3 and they talked about Tapped Out, the mobile game. I confess I do still play it, it does force you to get a lot of lovely new characters like Moe's sister and Milhouse's uncle who is an Indiana Jones type adventurer for some loving reason, but it kinda feels worth it to play long enough to get classic ones like Mrs Botz and Leopold. Also I'm addicted at this point. The E3 panel assured fans that the game is not dead and updates are still coming. Also the following highlights, taken from this link https://tstoaddicts.com/2019/06/12/simpsons-panel-at-e3-a-recap/ (I didn't actually watch the video cause gently caress that)

-Stewart Burns is essentially “in charge” of TSTO on the writer’s side. And comments about how he has a hard time getting the writers to work on it (although claims it’s better now)
-The writers like to make fun of the players playing TSTO, much to the chagrin of EA
-They commented many times how no one reads the dialogue so they don’t know why they spend so much time on it
-Writers work on the updates individually. Unlike the show, where they work collaboratively.

So they have contempt for their audience and don't give a poo poo about the product they are creating. No different to how they write for the actual show then.

How much money have you wasted spent on Tapped Out so far? Please don’t say that it’s good value for money because you have had 1000 hours of entertainment from it. Mobile “games” are the literal worst.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hottubrhymemachine posted:

How much money have you wasted spent on Tapped Out so far? Please don’t say that it’s good value for money because you have had 1000 hours of entertainment from it. Mobile “games” are the literal worst.

I dunno anything about Tapped Out (i assume it's not great) but lol at shaming someone for spending money on a thing they enjoy because you don't enjoy it.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

hottubrhymemachine posted:

No money, just time. You can earn premium currency for free easily, just slowly. I fully agree it is dumb, but so are most things humans do for enjoyment :shrug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I can't remember, was the 25th anniversary episode the one with Tony Hawk?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I can't remember, was the 25th anniversary episode the one with Tony Hawk?

300 episode, also featuring Blink 182 with half a sentence of dialogue each and parodies of Michael Jackson dangling his kid off the balcony

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

300 episode, also featuring Blink 182 with half a sentence of dialogue each and parodies of Michael Jackson dangling his kid off the balcony

That was the last one I watched, until I got vertigo on a boat last year. Then I watched the one where maggie was real good at whistling. It wasn't very good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasnt there an episode where sideshow bob tricks them into eating at a restaurant. I cant remember it so it's probably a bad season

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasnt there an episode where sideshow bob tricks them into eating at a restaurant. I cant remember it so it's probably a bad season

Season 19’s Funeral for a Fiend. That’s probably the best Bob episode from Al Jean’s run but it’s a low bar to clear.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah let’s see there’s the seafood buffet which ended poorly, the country club buffet when marge got the channel dress and altered it like a dozen times, buffets end badly. There’s the occasional krusty burger but you never see the whole family there at the same time. Bart is eating a takeout steak because he “knows a little place”. Other than that they take 30 seconds tops to consume an entire dinner at home. :thunk:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

Season 19’s Funeral for a Fiend. That’s probably the best Bob episode from Al Jean’s run but it’s a low bar to clear.

Let me just quote the dumbest part of the plot synopsis

quote:

Sideshow Bob then shows the family how he plans to kill them. He places a laptop computer with a defective battery on top of a pile of TNT so that when the battery overheats and explodes, it will ignite the TNT causing it to explode as well. Bob quotes some Shakespeare and then makes his exit, but Lisa calls out to Bob, teasing him for getting the Shakespeare quote wrong. Sideshow Bob, not wanting to be upstaged, quickly reenters and uses the laptop to check Wikipedia about the accuracy of his quote. But while waiting for the website to load, the defective battery explodes in his lap knocking him unconscious.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
The last episode I saw was when Maggie learned to whistle. That was a real thing that happened on the Emmy award winning "The Simpsons"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqfLOJGS_7o

This entire 3 minutes and 43 seconds is funnier than the past 10+ years combined.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

This entire 3 minutes and 43 seconds is funnier than the past 10+ years combined.

In the reruns, they clip the top and bottom of the shots so they can stretch it into widescreen TVs. So the joke where Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry are all coming out of the same pipe doesn't show. It just looks like 3 different pipes coming from the ceiling.

Although I think I might have heard that Matt Groening pitched such a fit about it that they've gone back to the right aspect ratio.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wirth1000 posted:

That clip led to the beginning of "The Devil and Homer Simpson," from a great THOH episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nq4RFqiT8

Same thing: this 4 minute clip has more jokes and really great animation compared to the past 15+ years combined.

I mean, that split second of Ned's face as his true form returns to Hell, Homer's descent into Hell, the demon chopping up Homer for hot dog meat... the animation is just so much more lively and vibrant than that loving gif of "robotic Marge turns head in intro, Maggie has two repeating frames of shaking fist" bullshit that plagues modern Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You Are A Elf posted:

That clip led to the beginning of "The Devil and Homer Simpson," from a great THOH episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nq4RFqiT8

Same thing: this 4 minute clip has more jokes and really great animation compared to the past 15+ years combined.

I mean, that split second of Ned's face as his true form returns to Hell, Homer's descent into Hell, the demon chopping up Homer for hot dog meat... the animation is just so much more lively and vibrant than that loving gif of "robotic Marge turns head in intro, Maggie has two repeating frames of shaking fist" bullshit that plagues modern Simpsons.

That totally unnecessary camera rotation around the kitchen after Homer gets stuck halfway into the hole, :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SctWtK2h_w