Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

White person with super goopy earwax checking in.

One time so far in my life I've gotten lazy with the Q-tip regimen, and ended up in a doctor's office for an ear canal irrigation so I could hear on that side again. That's where I learned that hydrogen peroxide dissolves earwax, at least partially. Now, a doctor will shoot high-pressure peroxide into your ear to clear out impacted wax. I don't recommend attempting that on your own, but occasionally dipping a cotton swab in peroxide before the standard "shove in and rub around" maneuver can help loosen things up if you feel like there's goop starting to accumulate. (Plus you get to enjoy that lovely sensation of OH MY GOD IT'S BUBBLING AND POPPING IN MY BRAIN, similar to what I imagine you might get by snorting Pop Rocks, but toward the sides instead of centered.) Just follow up with another swab or two soaked in regular water afterward to dilute it and stop the reaction, then an un-soaked one to dry things out. #lifehack #waxhax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Don't use q-tip to clean your ears.... you are just pushing the ear wax further in.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Only if you just jam it straight in and piston. A true QTip connoisseur knows you go in at an angle central to the middle of the canal, then press towards the ear canal wall and begin the orbital rotation. Kind of like how a KitchenAide beater moves around.

Been doing that for decades and never just "pushed it farther in".

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Ear wax clears itself out naturally, only try to remove it manually if you have a medical condition effecting your ear canal, or you want to have one.

The medical community insists upon this, but I am skeptical. It has the feel of one of those things that was never based on decent evidence but isn't significant enough for anyone to disprove. Literally everyone I have provided personal care for who is either physically or mentally unable to clean their own ears has to seek medical care for their blocked ears, and this is a big enough sample size to assume it is representative. We aren't allowed to stick anything in their ears, and the doctors insist on just using ear drops (which seem to barely work or end up making things worse).

It could be based on medical logic like: if someone sees a doctor for ear wax problems they have a medical condition, and everyone who doesn't seek help has naturally self-cleaning ears. The huge amount of people who manually clean their ears and would have to seek medical help if they didn't are assumed to not exist, since they don't present to doctors.

Definitely cotton buds not being intended for use in ears is something Johnson & Johnson and Proctor & Gamble state to avoid having to take legal responsibility for the rare negative side effects of injury.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm the proud winner of some AliExpress coins. WTF are they for?

If you use the mobile app you can go into the coins and coupons section. Then tap coupon exchange. Don't waste your coins on express coupons. They're pretty worthless. Instead swipe until you see the section for exchanging for store coupons. Those usually have better value, although they only work in a specific store. If you hunt around enough you can sometimes get oddball stuff for literal pennies.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

The medical community insists upon this, but I am skeptical. It has the feel of one of those things that was never based on decent evidence but isn't significant enough for anyone to disprove. Literally everyone I have provided personal care for who is either physically or mentally unable to clean their own ears has to seek medical care for their blocked ears, and this is a big enough sample size to assume it is representative. We aren't allowed to stick anything in their ears, and the doctors insist on just using ear drops (which seem to barely work or end up making things worse).

It could be based on medical logic like: if someone sees a doctor for ear wax problems they have a medical condition, and everyone who doesn't seek help has naturally self-cleaning ears. The huge amount of people who manually clean their ears and would have to seek medical help if they didn't are assumed to not exist, since they don't present to doctors.

Definitely cotton buds not being intended for use in ears is something Johnson & Johnson and Proctor & Gamble state to avoid having to take legal responsibility for the rare negative side effects of injury.
As an ear wax suffering I would say this lines up with my experience with doctors. The amount of them that swear I should just use daily ear drops instead of cleaning my ears is kind of absurd. I'm a big supporter of modern medicine, but it has some blindspots and dogma for sure.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Moon Atari posted:

I imagine you don't see as many people that need medical attention for hurting themselves by shoving things in their ear as most doctors do.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can you perverts make another thread for your ear wax fetish? Really disgusting tbh

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
*sensually rubs earwax all over mike1237962684#78248*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Busy Bee posted:

Don't use q-tip to clean your ears.... you are just pushing the ear wax further in.

Don't put a fork in your mouth, it will just keep going and if it doesn't make you vomit you'll eventually jam the tines into your spinal column

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I use a q-tip because I have good control over my actions, maybe some people just jam it in idk

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Use a dry Q-tip to remove eye makeup mistakes!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
How loving gross would you have to be to not clean your ears. gently caress what doctors say.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hayden. posted:

How loving gross would you have to be to not clean your ears. gently caress what doctors say.
Just do it with the proper tools (ear wax softener and warm water) not Q tips

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You idiots are going to spend your fifties and sixties in a silent prison of your own making, I hope aliexpress has good hearing aids that can counter tinnitus

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's Ali-adjacent, but they opened up a Daiso by my office and I snagged these little plastic mugs for my kids the other day...

https://m.imgur.com/a/aWQTW1r

Edit: stupid imgur crap

brocked fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 16, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I live daiso. its like aliexpress but in real life

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Daiso is the tits. Miniso is good, too- even cuter stuff- but AFAIK it only exists in China and, probably for Chinese tourists, in Shibuya.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Miniso's in Malaysia, Singapore and Australia as far as I've seen.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Miniso's in Malaysia, Singapore and Australia as far as I've seen.

Oh, cool! I love it so much. I hope it makes it to Europe.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, cool! I love it so much. I hope it makes it to Europe.

There's a Miniso store in Poland. I bought some counterfeit Lego Architecture sets there

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The antivaxx controversy but earwax

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Daiso is the tits. Miniso is good, too- even cuter stuff- but AFAIK it only exists in China and, probably for Chinese tourists, in Shibuya.

We've got a couple minisos in Toronto! I spend an embarrassing amount of time there!

I wish we had a daiso, I went to one once on a vacation to California but didn't have a way to take home anything ceramic and that place had some HELLA cute mugs

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

We've got a couple minisos in Toronto! I spend an embarrassing amount of time there!
There are a handful in Montreal, too. I don't like it as much as Daiso or the other cheap Japanese stores, but it's a good go-to for basics. I bought a Miniso mouse when I was in vacation in Montreal and realized my touchpad was poo poo.

We have neither Miniso nor Daiso in Michigan, though. :(

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got a paint marker. I can confirm that it is, indeed, pretty permanent, or at least resistant to rubbing alcohol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I got a paint marker. I can confirm that it is, indeed, pretty permanent, or at least resistant to rubbing alcohol.

Nice I think I’m gonna try a silver one and see if it covers a small scratch on my car bumper lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There’s a Daiso that just opened in NYC in Flushing and it’s rad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I swear you people act like a normal adult with a soft ball of cotton on a flexible rod is like Michael J Fox trying to clean your ear with an icepick

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I swear you people act like a normal adult with a soft ball of cotton on a flexible rod is like Michael J Fox trying to clean your ear with an icepick

Don’t kink shame me.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I spend a lot of time laying on one side trying to get rid of migraines, and that sticky pop when your wet ear canal sticks to itself is maddening. I keep qtips by the bedside for it. I'd love to get a set of silicone ear mace to drag out all the moisture.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Killingyouguy! posted:

I wish we had a daiso, I went to one once on a vacation to California but didn't have a way to take home anything ceramic and that place had some HELLA cute mugs

Oh yeah I'd seen those in Vancouver -- I kinda thought they were just a weird Uniqlo knock-off. Guess I should check them out.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Daiso is my kryptonite and I shouldn't be allowed inside.

In other news, I ordered a hoodie a few weeks back and it's actually too big. :v:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

theflyingexecutive posted:

There’s a Daiso that just opened in NYC in Flushing and it’s rad

I’m psyched as hell to learn that thanks :3:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh yeah I'd seen those in Vancouver -- I kinda thought they were just a weird Uniqlo knock-off. Guess I should check them out.

Oh yeah, you're totally missing out. The tinseltown one is good. Not as good as the Richmond one, but still good

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I dub thee FleshRipper :unsmigghh:

yeah so I spun it up once and when I switched the power off it unscrewed itself and flew off,
I think I'll frame it for now and hang it on my wall in case of a demon invasion.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

coldpudding posted:

yeah so I spun it up once and when I switched the power off it unscrewed itself and flew off,
I think I'll frame it for now and hang it on my wall in case of a demon invasion.

Holy loving poo poo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd rather die from lead accumulation myself :gibs:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

coldpudding posted:

How are you still alive?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

coldpudding posted:

This thread delivers in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You should set up a camera and remote power and record it disassembling in slow motion