Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

someone help me I can't stop buying forma from plague star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

prefect posted:

Now to obsess over what alignment means before I move on to doing the actual War Within quest. :ohdear:

it doesnt really do anything

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Malah posted:

someone help me I can't stop buying forma from plague star

that's basically the purpose of it once you have the zaw parts and arcanes

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

prefect posted:

Now to obsess over what alignment means before I move on to doing the actual War Within quest. :ohdear:

Do whatever you like. One semi-hidden NPC has one line of dialogue that changes based on your alignment. That's literally all it does.

It's a half-baked, inconsistent idea, too. War Within and The Sacrifice are the two major quests that affect it (plus one choice in Glast Gambit), and the writing of the quests doesn't appear to agree on what alignment means. War Within's alignment choices appear to associate the sun alignment with idealism and restraint, and the moon alignment with pragmatism and setting oneself loose. The Sacrifice associates sun choices with passion, aggression, and judgment, and moon choices with serenity and restraint. It's jarring.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm not very inclined to do the Plague Star just for Forma only because I use Forma farming as a byproduct of cracking relics because I still need so many ducats.

Also lost 4 runs of Plague Star due to a host migration. Guess I need to return to Cetus every loving time now to lock it in.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 16, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Do whatever you like. One semi-hidden NPC has one line of dialogue that changes based on your alignment. That's literally all it does.

It's a half-baked, inconsistent idea, too. War Within and The Sacrifice are the two major quests that affect it (plus one choice in Glast Gambit), and the writing of the quests doesn't appear to agree on what alignment means. War Within's alignment choices appear to associate the sun alignment with idealism and restraint, and the moon alignment with pragmatism and setting oneself loose. The Sacrifice associates sun choices with passion, aggression, and judgment, and moon choices with serenity and restraint. It's jarring.

You're misreading the stuff about restraint. The white alignment choices are always emotional and idealistic, and black ones are always pragmatic and detached. Sometimes emotional means empathy, sometimes it means rage, similarly sometimes pragmatic means being practical and sometimes it means taking a frankly inhuman attitude.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
How worth it are the arcanes? I have the baby rhino stomp one at R1 and all ranking it up does is increase the time which is slightly useful but maybe not worth doing an extra 15 full phylaxis and catalyst runs to get it to 4 seconds of airtime.

Apparently the other one is kind of useful in some niche situations but does self damage and is just as likely to kill you as it is the enemy. For the same amount of standing as it would take to get both to the max rank I could instead just get 31 forma.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're misreading the stuff about restraint. The white alignment choices are always emotional and idealistic, and black ones are always pragmatic and detached. Sometimes emotional means empathy, sometimes it means rage, similarly sometimes pragmatic means being practical and sometimes it means taking a frankly inhuman attitude.

I don't buy it. Squirm like the maggot you are is certainly emotional, but not in any way idealistic, especially compared to the cycle is broken. We use this memory, it fuels our wrath is a bit similar, compared to its alternatives.

I will grant that what you say is pretty consistent across War Within and Glast Gambit. Maybe I'm just saying I take issue with the writing in The Sacrifice.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

prefect posted:

I'm trying to complete the Second Dream quest, and I'm at "Protect the Moon". Is there any way to make this easier? I keep getting murdered again and again trying to get the Security Eye to shoot the Pendula. And the one time I did make it past that step, I got murdered by some wind-chime-looking prick while I was trying to extract.

When you complete that shooting eye part an optional, frequently overlooked hole will open up in the middle of that arena that contains a mod. If you miss it there are other ways to get it, but you might as well get it here and save yourself the future trouble.

EDIT: Ah I see you've done it. Don't worry if you missed it, the mod is https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Cunning_Drift and you basically just gotta randomly find and redo the eye bs on lua again. Although it's probably super easy to get from goons too.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 17, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

KongGeorgeVII posted:

How worth it are the arcanes? I have the baby rhino stomp one at R1 and all ranking it up does is increase the time which is slightly useful but maybe not worth doing an extra 15 full phylaxis and catalyst runs to get it to 4 seconds of airtime.

Apparently the other one is kind of useful in some niche situations but does self damage and is just as likely to kill you as it is the enemy. For the same amount of standing as it would take to get both to the max rank I could instead just get 31 forma.

They really aren't that great. In fact most of the zaw arcanes are white noise on a good day. Go for the plague zaw parts and then go ham on forma.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

And Tyler Too! posted:

They really aren't that great. In fact most of the zaw arcanes are white noise on a good day. Go for the plague zaw parts and then go ham on forma.

Yeah, when I got max cetus rep I was pretty underwhelmed with them. I ended up picking one of the channelling ones just in case they become good in melee 3.0

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The only alignment that matters is picking Zenurik the millisecond you can, because it gets you to a maxed out energizing dash significantly quicker and it is obscene how much of a gamechanger it is.

You can fix a wrong pick by getting gifted some decent lenses for a trin and getting Saryn dragged through a couple 8 zone runs of ESO by veterans, but that's still 50k focus that you could be spending on maxing endash sooner down the drain. And trying to get 50k focus any other "normal" way with the stuff you have when you first make it past that initial choice takes weeks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vazarin is a great pick for frames that don't rely on energy (ex: Inaros, Nidus, Trinity, Harrow) since they'll get expanded affinity range and insta-res.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's actually not accurate either, because in The Sacrifice pining for the Lotus emotionally, like asking to hear the lines that sound most motherly to the Operator and quite emotionally and idealistically loaded, is a Moon choice.

Sun is more kind words with a side of burning judgement, while Moon is pragmatic with a deep rooted vein of idealism.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 17, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just choose the best lines i dont see what the problem is :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

That's actually not accurate either, because in The Sacrifice pining for the Lotus emotionally, like asking to hear the lines that sound most motherly to the Operator and quite emotionally and idealistically loaded, is a Moon choice.

Sun is more kind words with a side of burning judgement, while Moon is pragmatic with a deep rooted vein of idealism.

That's a single choice where all of the options are emotionally loaded and sentimental, and it's very much the odd one out. v:shobon:v

Also, while what I generally like that the "alignment" wheel isn't really a measure of morality, I do somewhat suspect that it's not that the Lotus is being motherly that makes that a moon choice, but that it's the choice that most plays to the Operator's ego.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Moon is cold, Sun is hot.

Yin and Yang for Dummies.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
I just ended up picking majority neutral choices anyway, honestly.

I let space uncle kill the slug queen though, dude deserves it after all that crap he's had to deal with from her.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ugh. Just did a Hydron, trying to get to twenty waves, using my Slowva. Saw we had no defense frames, so I started using MP, got yelled at for using it, to the point where someone quit after 1 loving wave (then picked up a Gara, so whatever at that point). I doubled everyone else's kill count, and we killed every wave I used it in in like 30 seconds Vs the solid minute of the rest. The other three then quit at wave 10. What the gently caress...

I was using Slowva with an Ignis Wraith (with combustion beam too) so I would squeeze the trigger and just hear a side of the arena erupt in explosions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slowva's kind of bad for defense because it can stretch out playtimes by trapping enemies in their spawn points. A neutral or speedva is always welcome though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The pull in on slam is pretty great since a lot of combos has slams built in, even during things that don't look like slams, like the final hit of the spinny hammer one.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can get some VERY stupid big damage numbers with exodia contagion. I run it with a dagger zaw for my Wisp - the projectile counts as a melee attack, and so it is affected by stealth damage modifiers. Wisp is invisible in the air, so you're stealthed when you launch the projectile, and if you aim glide a little you'll be stealthed when it hits, too. I get surge sparks that deal almost 2 million damage in arbitrations; it's ridiculous.

The damage scaling on distance also makes it very nice in some tilesets, if you can get enough range for the wind up. I've heard that you can achieve very crazy things with it in the Profittaker fight but I haven't personally tried it yet.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 17, 2019

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

in my experience in random pub hydrons people bail at wave 10 95% of the time no matter what.

but yeah if its wave 1 hydron and theres a nova slowing or limbo with giant rift i just leave.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Picked a good time to get back into this last week with so many things running at once, so much to do!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Awesome! posted:

in my experience in random pub hydrons people bail at wave 10 95% of the time no matter what.

but yeah if its wave 1 hydron and theres a nova slowing or limbo with giant rift i just leave.

Usually they bail at the last possible second to troll you into doing the next round solo.

Jokes on you assholes, goons have lifted me up to a level I can easily solo that at.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Bug Squash posted:

Usually they bail at the last possible second to troll you into doing the next round solo.

Jokes on you assholes, goons have lifted me up to a level I can easily solo that at.

Yeah that happened to me yesterday at wave 10

No worries champ, I gots me tentacles to help out

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

If you're only leveling a weapon and you have an affinity booster, 10 waves is maxed. Just a thing to keep in mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ephemerous posted:

If you're only leveling a weapon and you have an affinity booster, 10 waves is maxed. Just a thing to keep in mind.

I mean, this is very insightful in terms of explaining pub behavior, but I feel it should have a safety warning:

If you're only leveling a weapon and you have an affinity booster, a single round of ESO will max it out. Friends don't let friends do Hydron*.

*unless it's Hyper Hydron and you also need to crack relics

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Awesome! posted:

Same, on any defence with a Slowva (or any mission at all wrt Limbo). Plus any void fissure mission, if some dumbo is map wiping with killframe powers before the relics are cracked. Don't be that guy. And while I'm all in favour of congregating in the same room to harvest void traces during survivals, don't nag me to just camp a dead end corridor, because it's boring af.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Ephemerous posted:

i level three weapons at a time by taking octavia to io and going however many waves it takes vOv

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
also octavia is super fun and im considering throwing overextended on her just to bring everyone into the dance party

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mormonpartyboat posted:

also octavia is super fun and im considering throwing overextended on her just to bring everyone into the dance party

Not a good idea, the mallet's effect I believe only works on line of sight, and Amp will double it's range anyway. You can even tank her range slightly and still end up covering half the map.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

njsykora posted:

Not a good idea, the mallet's effect I believe only works on line of sight, and Amp will double it's range anyway. You can even tank her range slightly and still end up covering half the map.

if you throw the mallet on top of the pillar at the bottom of the zipline on io (with every other +range mod), it can AAAAALLLLLMOST reach full LoS for the entire map. right now there's like 3 meters of space at the top of each side stairwell and a few meters of space at both the top and bottom center doors

gimmicks are real to me

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So with Octavia you just throw down the mallet and press her 4 in defense missions?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i also switch between a tastefully curated lineup of dance moves

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yes, and also her 3 if you want to stay invisible. Also I definitely recommend Overextended on a lot of maps. Once you get something with high single target damage attacking the mallet it will really shred everything in LoS.

Octavia's pretty bad in some boss fights but she's great on Exploiter orb: with a max range mallet Exploiter will spend all her time shooting the mallet in phase 1 which will keep Exploiter from killing anyone, make the mallet instantly sweep away the little spiders and do a lot of damage to exposed vents. In phase 2 a max range mallet under Exploiter will do a pretty good job helping to keep the heal spiders supressed

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I just got done levelling redeemer prime, and while Bullet Dance is really satisfyingly John Wick-like to play, it does seem to have the disadvantage that you are constantly rolling backwards. Which leads to some unfortunate cliff-related incidents. Am I doing it wrong?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pipski posted:

I just got done levelling redeemer prime, and while Bullet Dance is really satisfyingly John Wick-like to play, it does seem to have the disadvantage that you are constantly rolling backwards. Which leads to some unfortunate cliff-related incidents. Am I doing it wrong?

Hold the S key/down on the left stick to shoot in place

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hold the S key/down on the left stick to shoot in place

Ahhh, cool, ta.

Pipski fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!