Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

banned for posting anime
????

later....

Chris Knight posted:

talk about multitrack drifting

oh hahah i get it now

e: oh gently caress iom in the wrong thread

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Improbable Lobster posted:

that's not an excuse actuallly

fwiw mike pondsmith (you know, the principal dude that created the cyberpunk setting that the game is based off of) has been pretty critical of a lot of the takes going around about the game since he's working on it with cdpr. i think it will probably be fine to good and i'd almost guarantee that 90% of the people writing invective against it for clicks now will turn around and call it a goty next year. /shrug

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i generally trust maximum mike to turn in a game that isn’t going to be god awful wrt social issues, he is a legitimately good dude and has been pretty open about where his early efforts may have fallen short of the mark at times.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
As a cyborg, I

Okay fine as a person I dislike the entire idea that my body is somehow lesser because it's got aftermarket parts.

So, yes, it's a leaky disaster that somewhat frequently just becomes impossibly painful to operate and everything on the left side has stopped reliably indicating when it's about to fail. It did that before the docs had to resort to gluing on silicone and magnetic beads with horse joints.

This thing didn't come with a manufacturer's warranty, I asked mom. It's a leaky, rotting, shambling mess I can barely afford to keep running - and I can't forever - but it's mine and it's all I can afford. With an unlimited budget I'd probably get the whole jaw thing maintained and the molars replaced with alloys better suited to the job rather than a patchwork job of bone, rot and resin, and would make sure to keep it under suitable temperatures, but gently caress, AC's expensive to run, man, and the status of "on disability due to severe nerve damage"... actually does come with dental but it's lovely dental.

Also yeah, "Polish" is no excuse for not being woke and it's frankly more than a little offensive to think the Polish as rude brutes who can't be expected to have nuanced and respectful opinions.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
polish game devs on the other hand... :v:

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
also roughly half my country does, in fact, consist of rude brutes

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Fatal Error posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

endlessmonotony posted:

As a cyborg, I

Okay fine as a person I dislike the entire idea that my body is somehow lesser because it's got aftermarket parts.

i haven't read the cyberpunk source books but i have read a fair amount of shadowrun (and related works), and I think this is an odd mischaracterization/personalization of the themes of technological augmentation in the genre. i'd suggest that traditional 80s/90s sourced cyberpunk is, very specifically, reactionary against the idea of technological modification on the human body for the sake of "improving" it, be those improvements the ability to hide a ten-inch knife in your wrist or more mundane ones like a telescopic wireless dick (0.25 essence cost in SR). the entire question this genre is asking is 'if you start putting circuit boards and hydraulics into people, are they still people like you and me, who don't have those things?' which, again, is a reaction against the sort of "technology will make everything better!" mindset that was especially pernicious around the turn of the century. it strikes me as odd that someone would read those books and come away thinking they're making a statement about artificial hips or limb replacements (especially as we currently understand them and use them) make you less of a person on some inherent level. the big difference, in my mind at least, is that 'aftermarket parts' for human beings in tyool 2019 aren't really something you choose to have. if your body breaks, cool, in certain circumstances we can make you whole-ish or at least restore some functionality/quality of life.

i'd suggest the closest analogue in modern times to the sort of issues being raised in these settings are the nimrods who are giving themselves exciting sorts of cancers with CRISPR and poo poo, or trying to 'biohack' by only drinking soylent and never making GBS threads (or conversely the people who are doing DIY poop transplants on themselves). with that in mind, i think that maybe the authors are on to something...

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nimrod isnt an insult

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
it is an insult in common parlance ever since bugs bunny used it sarcastically

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nimrod isnt an insult

feel free to die on this hill

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

uncurable mlady posted:

fwiw mike pondsmith (you know, the principal dude that created the cyberpunk setting that the game is based off of) has been pretty critical of a lot of the takes going around about the game since he's working on it with cdpr. i think it will probably be fine to good and i'd almost guarantee that 90% of the people writing invective against it for clicks now will turn around and call it a goty next year. /shrug

mike pondsmith does seem like a good dude but i also do not really have any faith at all in cdpr to not be bad at this after they've been publicly bad at it several times

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
video game scolds

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Improbable Lobster posted:

mike pondsmith does seem like a good dude but i also do not really have any faith at all in cdpr to not be bad at this after they've been publicly bad at it several times

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

video game scolds

i hope the keanu reeves cyber ghost game is good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1140459754843541504

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fucc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that is pretty messed up yeah

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fatal Error posted:

are you a rude enough brute to save Johnny mnemonic?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
bring Cyberpunk to your POSOS
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/cyberpunk_2077_on_linux

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
no tux, no bux

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no tux, no bux

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
gibson

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
THE Steve Gibson? The guy that invented SpinRite, the industry's #1 hard drive data recovery software?!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just hack it/him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Krankenstyle posted:

just hack it/him

*rubs nipples matt lillardly at the prospect*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*rubs nipples matt lillardly at the prospect*

/msg me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hackers can turn your morphine dispenser into a bomb party

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

quote:

For the most part, the study subjects made rational choices based on the economic value of the information (how much money it could help them win). But that didn’t explain all their choices: People tended to over-value information in general, and particularly in higher-valued lotteries. It appeared that the higher stakes increased people’s curiosity in the information, even when the information had no effect on their decisions whether to play.

The researchers determined that this behavior could only be explained by a model that captured both economic and psychological motives for seeking information. People acquired information based not only on its actual benefit, but also on the anticipation of its benefit, whether or not it had use.

Hsu says that’s akin to wanting to know whether we received a great job offer, even if we have no intention of taking it. “Anticipation serves to amplify how good or bad something seems, and the anticipation of a more pleasurable reward makes the information appear even more valuable,” he says.

[T]he researchers were able to determine that the brain uses the same neural code for information about the lottery odds as it does for money by using a machine learning technique (called support vector regression). That allowed them to look at the neural code for how the brain responds to varying amounts of money, and then ask if the same code can be used to predict how much a person will pay for information. It can.

In other words, just as we can convert such disparate things as a painting, a steak dinner, and a vacation into a dollar value, the brain converts curiosity about information into the same common code it uses for concrete rewards like money, Hsu says.

“We can look into the brain and tell how much someone wants a piece of information, and then translate that brain activity into monetary amounts,” he says.

[...]

While the research does not directly address overconsumption of digital information, the fact that information engages the brain’s reward system is a necessary condition for the addiction cycle, he says. And it explains why we find those alerts saying we’ve been tagged in a photo so irresistible.

“The way our brains respond to the anticipation of a pleasurable reward is an important reason why people are susceptible to clickbait,” he says. “Just like junk food, this might be a situation where previously adaptive mechanisms get exploited now that we have unprecedented access to novel curiosities.”

this research funded by zynga and the foundation for ubiquitous eyetrackers

http://newsroom.haas.berkeley.edu/how-information-is-like-snacks-money-and-drugs-to-your-brain/

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

uncurable mlady posted:

i haven't read the cyberpunk source books but i have read a fair amount of shadowrun (and related works), and I think this is an odd mischaracterization/personalization of the themes of technological augmentation in the genre. i'd suggest that traditional 80s/90s sourced cyberpunk is, very specifically, reactionary against the idea of technological modification on the human body for the sake of "improving" it, be those improvements the ability to hide a ten-inch knife in your wrist or more mundane ones like a telescopic wireless dick (0.25 essence cost in SR). the entire question this genre is asking is 'if you start putting circuit boards and hydraulics into people, are they still people like you and me, who don't have those things?' which, again, is a reaction against the sort of "technology will make everything better!" mindset that was especially pernicious around the turn of the century. it strikes me as odd that someone would read those books and come away thinking they're making a statement about artificial hips or limb replacements (especially as we currently understand them and use them) make you less of a person on some inherent level. the big difference, in my mind at least, is that 'aftermarket parts' for human beings in tyool 2019 aren't really something you choose to have. if your body breaks, cool, in certain circumstances we can make you whole-ish or at least restore some functionality/quality of life.

i'd suggest the closest analogue in modern times to the sort of issues being raised in these settings are the nimrods who are giving themselves exciting sorts of cancers with CRISPR and poo poo, or trying to 'biohack' by only drinking soylent and never making GBS threads (or conversely the people who are doing DIY poop transplants on themselves). with that in mind, i think that maybe the authors are on to something...

Humanity is pretty important to Cyberpunk 2020, maybe even more than shadowrun, since there it was basically just used to split characters into two classes (magic users and not magic users). Without it there isn't much keeping your idiot player characters from installing a million guns in their bodies or turrets in their faces and naming their characters "ol turret dick" and ruining your carefully crafted universe.

Definitely agree that people are expecting too much from the game. Just because its named "Cyberpunk [2077]" doesn't mean its going to incorporate everyone's favorite ideas from the genre. Cyberpunk 2020 was already a pretty shallow copy (I seem to remember some disparaging quotes from Gibson about the table top game though I can't find them now because all my searches end up about the videogame)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the humanity thing is litterrally a game mechanic to prevent overpowered characters.

the way the new deus ex handled it with cybernetics requiring significant maintenance and anti-rejection drugs seems like a more story appropriate mechanic

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Can't wait to have the company that manufactured my eyeballs go out of business and stop releasing software updates so my eyeballs start mining bitcoin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if your eyes freeze, blink once, then blink again two seconds later, then blink eight seconds later, then two seconds again, then

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

if your eyes freeze, blink once, then blink again two seconds later, then blink eight seconds later, then two seconds again, then

laffo

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ADINSX posted:

Humanity is pretty important to Cyberpunk 2020, maybe even more than shadowrun, since there it was basically just used to split characters into two classes (magic users and not magic users). Without it there isn't much keeping your idiot player characters from installing a million guns in their bodies or turrets in their faces and naming their characters "ol turret dick" and ruining your carefully crafted universe.

Definitely agree that people are expecting too much from the game. Just because its named "Cyberpunk [2077]" doesn't mean its going to incorporate everyone's favorite ideas from the genre. Cyberpunk 2020 was already a pretty shallow copy (I seem to remember some disparaging quotes from Gibson about the table top game though I can't find them now because all my searches end up about the videogame)

The writing in CP2020 was honestly not that great and I was really kind of hoping they'd ditch it and just keep the title. I mean, it was also the first* in the genre so I guess it deserves some slack. Later games like Eclipse Phase took basically a "gently caress me up, fam" approach to augmentation where the penalty for having/being ol turret dick was that other characters treated you like the future equivalent of Mr. Cool Ice.

*first big hit anyway

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Skyscraper posted:

The writing in CP2020 was honestly not that great and I was really kind of hoping they'd ditch it and just keep the title. I mean, it was also the first* in the genre so I guess it deserves some slack. Later games like Eclipse Phase took basically a "gently caress me up, fam" approach to augmentation where the penalty for having/being ol turret dick was that other characters treated you like the future equivalent of Mr. Cool Ice.

*first big hit anyway

Reading the Cyberpunk 2020 history of what happens from 1990 to 2020 is...pretty weird.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Skyscraper posted:

*first big hit anyway

eclipse phase loving rules

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I love to read articles about tech you thought would be a big problem in the Cyberpunk future and oh yes we’ve been running this a few years now. :eyepop:

https://longreads.com/2019/06/21/nothing-kept-me-up-at-night-the-way-the-gorgon-stare-did/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I love to read articles about tech you thought would be a big problem in the Cyberpunk future and oh yes we’ve been running this a few years now. :eyepop:

https://longreads.com/2019/06/21/nothing-kept-me-up-at-night-the-way-the-gorgon-stare-did/

i swear the us government picks the worst loving names for poo poo like this.

anyone who worked on this program deserves a camera shoved up his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

vodkat posted:

eclipse phase loving rules

EP is one of my favorite tabletop settings. Too bad the mechanics are dog poo poo.