Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Morpheus posted:

That one wasn't too bad, the big problem was that people didn't realize that you could fire the other gun at the same time by pressing the left trigger.

I'd say that was a problem, but not the big problem. The big problem is that the asteroids were procedurally generated, so while one person might get through first time without breaking a sweat, someone else might get a nigh-unwinnable set of asteroids 4 times in a row purely due to unlucky RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

That one wasn't too bad, the big problem was that people didn't realize that you could fire the other gun at the same time by pressing the left trigger.

Also the PC version has technical problems that makes it run weird if you don't muck around with vsync.

Also also like 10%~ of the meteors just harmlessly pass by the ship but that's not immediately apparent.

Edit: Also^3 isn't that part immediately after the tense space walk where solar rays or w/e are blasting across the hull of the ship and you're leapfrogging from safe spot to safe spot? So the player might also be a bit frazzled after making it through that section (even if it isn't all that difficult either).

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 16, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can grind to overcome the bigger hurdles in the roguelite Prey: Mooncrash, in fact you get an achievement for maxing out every character's skill-tree. But if you make the mistake of other players by hitting the ending then you get locked out of playing anymore on that save file. This makes 6 of the 10 achievements missable for no reason.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

that reminds me... Jak II is an awesome game and I generally adore it--except for those on-rails turret shooting gallery sections. those suck.

Has nothing on Jak III impossibly crappy forced pacman minigame.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Not only my least favorite part of those games, but one of my least favorite parts of any game ever made.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Exploring early areas in God of War is a pain in the rear end because you have to run back to the nearest door, and most of the areas end up cut off from each other because the chasm outside the house is somehow repaired now so you can't run from there to the wildwood, and all the pillars are overgrown and cannot be lifted anymore.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not only my least favorite part of those games, but one of my least favorite parts of any game ever made.

The fact that it's story mandatory and in the third act, just masterful player-hatred on the developers part.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

The fact that it's story mandatory and in the third act, just masterful player-hatred on the developers part.
Jak 3 is kind of a mess, which is a shame because the actual platforming parts are quite good. But it clearly had serious development problems, although it's hard to find info. The series was also a flop outside the US.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

Exploring early areas in God of War is a pain in the rear end because you have to run back to the nearest door, and most of the areas end up cut off from each other because the chasm outside the house is somehow repaired now so you can't run from there to the wildwood, and all the pillars are overgrown and cannot be lifted anymore.

Some of the puzzles and environmental blocks kinda bother me if I think too much about them in-game. Like, annoying badguy? Punch off a building-sized chunk of mountainside and throw it at him. Pillar blocking my way? gently caress that, guess I'll just walk the long way around like a lazy schmuck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some of the puzzles and environmental blocks kinda bother me if I think too much about them in-game. Like, annoying badguy? Punch off a building-sized chunk of mountainside and throw it at him. Pillar blocking my way? gently caress that, guess I'll just walk the long way around like a lazy schmuck.

I had the same problem with Devil May Cry 5 where in cutscenes all the characters are flying all over the place, running on walls and such. Which, you know, you can't actually do in game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how whether you win or lose in FTL is pure chance

Twenty losses in a row with a teleporter ship because it just would not give me anything but drones and zoltan shields for entire sectors, forever. Finally get to the end, and my dodge and shields do nothing and I eat poo poo and die to every single missile it fires

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XkyRauh posted:

If memory serves, that functionality wasn't added to the Spinning Clothesline until Championship Edition.

Edit: I'm wrong! You're right! :) Double Lariat should be able to dodge projectiles in World Warrior.

It dodges every projectile except the high tiger shot.

Also I just tested it out again, and at mid-range if you block a single tiger shot and then stop blocking entirely and Sagat continues to launch tiger shots then you will keep blocking despite the controller being neutral (or even if you push forward) because of the length of your blockstun and how rapidly he does the tiger shots. You'll then invariably be block-damaged to death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I had the same problem with Devil May Cry 5 where in cutscenes all the characters are flying all over the place, running on walls and such. Which, you know, you can't actually do in game.

Pretty much every fantasy game where you're supposed to be incredibly powerful like that totally falls apart if it's not third-person and open world like Prototype or Hulk Ultimate Destruction, IMO.

I think the Dragon Ball Z rpgs are the worst examples of this. But the new Darksiders game might be better for a recent one.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MiddleOne posted:

huh i do NOT remember that. mustve blocked it from my memory...

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think you'll find that honor goes to the lovely ball-rolling hacking minigame in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Catpain Slack posted:

I think you'll find that honor goes to the lovely ball-rolling hacking minigame in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Oh god, Tools of Destruction just sucked. It's right down there with the first R&C in terms of quality. Just an embarrassment.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I hate that Hilde didn't make the cut for Soul Calibur VI for some stupid reason :argh:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That's too bad. Hilde is the neatest design in the entire series.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can grind to overcome the bigger hurdles in the roguelite Prey: Mooncrash, in fact you get an achievement for maxing out every character's skill-tree. But if you make the mistake of other players by hitting the ending then you get locked out of playing anymore on that save file. This makes 6 of the 10 achievements missable for no reason.

I like about 90% of what they did with Mooncrash but the entire roguelite aspect turns me off completely.

It's too bad there's no exploration mode (or whatever you want to call it).

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Dr Christmas posted:

They are always way easy or way hard, or have some attached achievement that requires an unreasonably huge score. The space debris turret segments in Dead a Space was one of the hard ones.

i instantly drop any game that features a lovely on rails autoscroll segment. i used to try and power my way through as a kid but adult me is like "nah, gently caress this"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Minidrag/peeve.
Any game that's co-op/multiplayer, and has the player characters say things based on what's happening, but what they're saying isn't synced up between players. (Like say crashing or driving rough in Saint's Row. Or Character shouts in the Borderlands series. )

Why is it so hard to sync up voice lines? It's just selecting from a list of responses, it should be trivial for the server/host pc to sync them up and play the same voice clip for everyone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The mechanic that lets you transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Go (on your phone) to Pokemon Let's Go (on your Switch) is a low-level drag down for me. Not in and of itself, it's cool, but because almost every other game makes me wonder if it has that. Especially Switch games.

Oh, new Pokemon game! Can I transfer my phone stuff to it? No. Oh. :(

Oh, new Animal Crossing game! Can I transfer my 3ds stuff to it? No? Oh. :(

It ain't fair, I grant, but still.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

SubNat posted:

Minidrag/peeve.
Any game that's co-op/multiplayer, and has the player characters say things based on what's happening, but what they're saying isn't synced up between players. (Like say crashing or driving rough in Saint's Row. Or Character shouts in the Borderlands series. )

Why is it so hard to sync up voice lines? It's just selecting from a list of responses, it should be trivial for the server/host pc to sync them up and play the same voice clip for everyone.

Apex Legends is terrible for this, especially in the opening character introductions which occasionally have jokes that your squadmates will 100% riff on and nobody heard the same thing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

orcane posted:

I like about 90% of what they did with Mooncrash but the entire roguelite aspect turns me off completely.

It's too bad there's no exploration mode (or whatever you want to call it).

I am genuinely surprised that I liked the roguelite mechanics in that game, considering I typically hate them everywhere else. I think it's because of the fact that neuromods upgrades are permanent, slowly powering me up so that by the endgame I'm flying through levels. It also means that the feeling of fear that you have at the beginning of Prey, before you become a shotgun-wielding juggernaut, never quite goes away.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I somehow managed to completely miss getting a chainsaw in the new(ish) Doom game. I haven't hit a hard wall or anything about it (I've been using the pistol just enough that I knew something was wrong), but man, you'd think the game would have some sort of "this door won't open until you have a chainsaw, just in case" door.

Really? I thought I remember picking that up triggering a wave of enemies that you needed to fight to progress. That's really strange that they would let you not get that weapon. It feels like it marks the halfway point of the game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

U.T. Raptor posted:

I hate that Hilde didn't make the cut for Soul Calibur VI for some stupid reason :argh:

She was my go to back in SC4 so that sucks to hear. I spent far too much time flipping my drunken friends out of the ring with her basic grab and her design is sick as gently caress.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've done almost everything there is to do in Ys 8 except fighting the final boss and... doing a whole bunch of Raids and Hunts, the two worst parts of the game. Now sure these specific ones left are optional and I don't have to do them, but even the ones I had to do for story purposes sucked and every time I knew I had to do one soon I took a break from the game it's so annoying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Catpain Slack posted:

Monkeeeeey Kombaaaaaat!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've dug my xbox out the loft, and lo! There's a ninja gaiden Black save on it, Very Hard, must be 15 years old.

It's interesting playing an old fighting game that has none of the modern (by which I mean Dark Souls) inspirations.

Changing weapons, healing, that all needs you to open the menu. And having to *buy* healing items is something I'm glad has fallen by the way side. As is the idea of save points that don't refill your health. So after every big boss fight I have to go carefully farm up to get my health back to something sensible.

Oh, and Ghost Fish can go gently caress themselves. Huge swarms that just mob you, and if they get a bite they interrupt your attack, knock you to the ground and gnaw away all your health while you're frantically mashing X. They drop health orbs really frequently, but you can only collect them if you stand still and stop attacking. Which is just asking to get bitten all over again.

It's also frustratingly easy to die between a boss and a save point and then you have to fight the boss all over again!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The dark link set doesnt make monsters think you're a monster, despite what the rear end in a top hat who sold it told me. I want my Mon back.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Still having fun playing Halo 2, but somebody please travel back in time and remind these developers that minimaps and waypoints exist. :arghfist::confused:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The biggest problem with Halo 2 is they hid that bomb rear end scarab gun and you only got it for like 10 minutes and then it was taken away from you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

The dark link set doesnt make monsters think you're a monster, despite what the rear end in a top hat who sold it told me. I want my Mon back.

doesn't that say it only works at night or something like that?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At night it gives a speed boost (like the shiekah set), and the eyes also glow.

As far as behavior, though, all it does is make human npcs do a little scared animation before you talk to them

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

The biggest problem with Halo 2 is they hid that bomb rear end scarab gun and you only got it for like 10 minutes and then it was taken away from you.

i always felt the biggest problem was that its ending was in Halo 3 :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crosspost from another thread where I posted this by accident

CJacobs posted:

I'm playing the Crash N Sane Trilogy and boy these relic time requirements are truly awful, what were they thinking. The fun I had with this game is being sucked out of my brain through a straw, why are they all so god drat strict.

edit: I meant to post this in the things dragging this game down thread but I had the wrong tab open. Oh well, I am willing to complain about it in multiple places because requiring you to exploit the game engine to meet the high end requirements is fuckin stupid

edit: Some of the times are a few seconds or even only tenths of a second from the listed developer bests, meaning for many of them you have to do nearly the best it is possible to do in order to earn the platinum relic. Who decided that was fun? Are they still allowed to work on video games?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Jun 18, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The biggest flaw with Halo 2 is that they introduce the character of Arbiter, who is a more interesting character than Master Chief in every single conceivable way, from his motivations to his voice acting, then decided you would only ever play as Master Chief ever again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dash Rendar posted:

i always felt the biggest problem was that its ending was in Halo 3 :v:

I played through Halo 1 and 2 a ridiculous number of times in highschool but it was always coop and I don't think we ever watched a cutscene so that may the case.

But the scarab gun was so cool!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CJacobs posted:

Crosspost from another thread where I posted this by accident

edit: Some of the times are a few seconds or even only tenths of a second from the listed developer bests, meaning for many of them you have to do nearly the best it is possible to do in order to earn the platinum relic. Who decided that was fun? Are they still allowed to work on video games?

The challenges for Crash games have been nuts since the very first release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Unless you are an actual robot I wouldn't bother with the time trial challenges in Crash.