Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Eat This Glob posted:

I just had a burg at the Paris Air Show because that place had the shortest line. It had some sort of a cheese sauce on it, lettuce and tomato. The inside was served warmed through but otherwise blue rare. I don't know if that's the style here or they just foisted a quarter done burg on the fat american guy. Tasted fine though.

I probably won't die. Well, unless I become patient zero for a new outbreak of creutzfeldt-jakob. Then it was nice knowing y'all.

Parisians love steak tartare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Eat This Glob posted:

I just had a burg at the Paris Air Show because that place had the shortest line. It had some sort of a cheese sauce on it, lettuce and tomato. The inside was served warmed through but otherwise blue rare. I don't know if that's the style here or they just foisted a quarter done burg on the fat american guy. Tasted fine though.

You should have questioned it, in English, then demanded a re-fire tout de suite. Parisians love the banter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I always love the "disclaimer" speech when ordering a burger or steak in an America chain restaurant and them describing what it will look like. Of course a lot of chains won't give you the option how you want your burger done for liability reasons.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I made some burgs yesterday but forgot to photograph them. I decided to go with a normal burg, melt some Brie over it and serve it with grilled onions, some of my home made bacon and a garlic scape pesto. They came out pretty good.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Parisians love steak tartare

well, no argument there. I'm gonna augment my raw burg with some tartare in about 30 minutes :getin:

Ranter posted:

You should have questioned it, in English, then demanded a re-fire tout de suite. Parisians love the banter.

lol im amazed they didnt hit me for ordering in English in the first place and doubly so when I asked for a receipt (there was some "seat/ceipt" confusion when I asked)

the guy serving didnt know much English, but he knew Spanish enough that we got to where we were going. A+ would eat mostly raw burg again

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I got daggers when I immediately went to English. So I memorized how to say sorry I cannot speak French but then they'd cut me off half way and give me daggers anyhow. Loved Paris.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always love the "disclaimer" speech when ordering a burger or steak in an America chain restaurant and them describing what it will look like. Of course a lot of chains won't give you the option how you want your burger done for liability reasons.

I ordered the steak frites last night after enjoying some razor clams as a starter. The server offered me rare or medium as options. I chose rare. poo poo wasnt even browned all the way on the outside and it was amazing. The beef was much gamier than the corn fed American beef I'm used to and much leaner.

Burgs tasted a bit different, though that may have been the rawness too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah temps in France are well below their equivalents in the US. “Bleu (blue lol)” is basically raw, “saignant (bloody)” is seared and barely warmed through, “à point (on point)” is rare, “bien cuit (well done” is what you think but with a pink inside. The elusive “medium-rare” is hard to nail down but “à point” will get you closest.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

e: thanks for the heads up, Phil!

The tartare I had for dinner was basically the burg I had for lunch minus the sear. it was ground beef (extracted through some sort of grinder) minus any egg yolk to hold it together and not formed in any sort of mold. It was a bowl full of hamburger, basically, for $15 bucks, more or less. it was "thai" tartare and flavored with thai basil, peanuts, pomegranate seeds, and spices. these French people are wacky in the best way. I think I'll order beef at every meal and see what they serve me lol. gonna burg my way across Paris this week

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The greatest thing about this thread is how we live vicariously through each other. A bugerhood of greatness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Colostomy Bag posted:

The greatest thing about this thread is how we live vicariously through each other. A bugerhood of greatness.

I've been at a constant 7.5 out of ten for burger cravings since the previous thread. It's a bad influence in that way.

But goddam are my burgers so much better now because of this education.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Casu Marzu posted:

Smashed a burg on Friday

Don Dongington posted:

I forgot to take a post-squish pic but you get the idea.

Last week's Beef and Cheese Odyssey.

God. drat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Don Dongington posted:

I forgot to take a post-squish pic but you get the idea.

Last week's Beef and Cheese Odyssey.

Suuuure that's a great looking burger and all but I want all your fries there for real

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Suuuure that's a great looking burger and all but I want all your fries there for real

You know you're in for a good time with fries like that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

I've been at a constant 7.5 out of ten for burger cravings since the previous thread. It's a bad influence in that way.

But goddam are my burgers so much better now because of this education.

Yep.

Step 1: Get the right spatula.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dear burg thread, today I had :burger:

I was too excited to remember to take a picture of it, but the kind of burger I had was what we in Denmark call a bøfsandwich, which basically translates as beef sandwich. Very inventive, I know.
Here's an image:

The recipe is basically this:
Bottom bun, ketchup, pickled beets, beef patty, pickled cucumber, Danish remulade, top bun, brown sauce (gravy with caramel coloring), and fresh as well as fried onions.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I almost feel bad about posting a lame 5 Guys burg after the last page.

Almost.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I almost feel bad about posting a lame 5 Guys burg after the last page.

Almost.

No way, that looks amazing

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I just learned Whataburger has been sold to some merchant bank with plans of national expansion.

Make way for Burgergeddon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I just learned Whataburger has been sold to some merchant bank with plans of national expansion.

Make way for Burgergeddon.

@JJWatt even tweeted about it.

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1139592784715931648

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Whataburger has honestly been dead to me ever since they got rid of the A1 Thick & Hearty.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Hey burger thread, here's a single smashed with caramelized red onions that I made a couple weeks ago. I ate it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DO IT TO IT posted:

Whataburger has honestly been dead to me ever since they got rid of the A1 Thick & Hearty.

^^ This burg propelled me through college

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Gwaihir posted:

^^ This burg propelled me through college

Yup, it was the same for me. You can get the Sweet & Spicy Bacon Burger now, but it's just not the same.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The memory of my first bite of a honey butter chicken biscuit while drunk at 2am remains one of my peak culinary experiences.

@beerinator - that burg is perfection.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I lived in Texas for 1 year and was told by my boss to slow down on Whataburger cause I was gonna gain weight if I didn't. And as much as I would enjoy it if it came to Ohio, I kinda do want it to stay a Texas thing. I think certain places being a rare or unique experience rather than common adds charm and good memories and makes a place worth visiting.

I had good burgers in Texas, particularly Rodeo Goat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Made my standard burg the other day. Smash double with American and Stilton blue, onion jam, thick bacon, romaine and homemade mayo secret saucepan a potato roll.

The fries were my attempt at air fryer fries. Blanched them then cooled, dried, oiled and air fried. They turned out good not great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Some good content flowing through here folks, keep it up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Haven't been to Hello Harry for awhile, went with the South of the Border burger.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I was too excited to remember to take a picture of it, but the kind of burger I had was what we in Denmark call a bøfsandwich, which basically translates as beef sandwich. Very inventive, I know.
Here's an image:

Bottom bun, ketchup, pickled beets, beef patty, pickled cucumber, Danish remulade, top bun, brown sauce (gravy with caramel coloring), and fresh as well as fried onions.

Waddup! I'm on holiday in Fyn in a couple of weeks - where's a good place to try one?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

D. Ebdrup posted:

Here's an image:

Mother of creation

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I'm genuinely baffled by people liking whattaburger. I had it in Austin last week and it was my worst eating experience since having a hot dog waffle in the Philippines. It's significantly worse than burger king/hungry jack's

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm genuinely baffled by people liking whattaburger. I had it in Austin last week and it was my worst eating experience since having a hot dog waffle in the Philippines. It's significantly worse than burger king/hungry jack's

Exile this man

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah, I had it on my road trip at the end of last year and it was nothing to write home about.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

iajanus posted:

Yeah, I had it on my road trip at the end of last year and it was nothing to write home about.

That's a sorry lookin burg. Flat as a pancake, barely any meat and cheese stone cold.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The problem with Whataburger is that as a chain there's a lot less top down control and consistency than, say, a McDonald's. When they're good, they're really good (although I'd say burger wise, steak n shake, smash Burger, or burger fi is better), but when they're not, you get a just totally :flaccid: burg.

The real strengths of Whataburger are the breakfast biscuits, and the fact that they start breakfast service at 1130 pm.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Gwaihir posted:

The problem with Whataburger is that as a chain there's a lot less top down control and consistency than, say, a McDonald's. When they're good, they're really good (although I'd say burger wise, steak n shake, smash Burger, or burger fi is better), but when they're not, you get a just totally :flaccid: burg.

The real strengths of Whataburger are the breakfast biscuits, and the fact that they start breakfast service at 1130 pm.

This. If you are close to a good Whataburger, the burgers are great, but I have definitely had some lovely ones on road trips through smaller parts of Texas.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

iajanus posted:

Christ, that looks sadder than my kid when she found out Santa wasn't real.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I just had a double Whataburger over the weekend (flights stranded us in the DFW area for a day) and it looked nothing like that, and was delicious. My wife got the patty melt and loved it. Didn't take any pictures because I am a horrible human.

It must be really hot or miss. The fries are nothing to write home about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The fries are typically real good and competent on the level of McD's- I consider that a good thing, since McDs sets a really high bar for fries, especially compared to places like 5 guys or in n out where the fries are trash but the burgers are good. The real bonus is the ketchup and spicy ketchup at whataburger has crack in it or something, because it's so tasty.