Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I cant extend my xbox live gold membership any further and I've got a 12 month code. Anyone want it for like 50 bucks? I can PM it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My US-address-linked credit card expired.

RIP my permanent 11% discount on Steam :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

buddy convinced me to do the new season of diablo 3 with him

just wanna reiterate how dang good the switch version is

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Have I posted about Outer Wilds yet?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Outer wilds is on Xbox game pass, right? I thought I saw it there this weekend.

Has anyone played Sea of Thieves yet? A few friends and I just did the game pass deal, and we’re looking at trying virtual pirates out. I remember hearing so-so things about it, but I’d imagine playing with people makes it a lot more fun, right?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

pkells posted:

Outer wilds is on Xbox game pass, right? I thought I saw it there this weekend.

Has anyone played Sea of Thieves yet? A few friends and I just did the game pass deal, and we’re looking at trying virtual pirates out. I remember hearing so-so things about it, but I’d imagine playing with people makes it a lot more fun, right?

Sea of Thieves is good, I resub to gamepads every now and then to play it with buddies, its definitely a game to play with people you know, or goons at least, I wouldn't do a random lobby.

It was kind of a tech demo when it launched, there wasn't a ton of content, but they've added quite a bit since then.

I would say it has a couple problems that keep it from being really great

1. Server size, the maps are huge, but they cap at 16 players I think, so you can play a long time without seeing another human controller ship.

2. loving other players is fun, but there are no real ramifications other than stealing looted treasure. If you steal a ship, the owners and his crew will respawn on it until they either kill you or choose to scuttle it, and at that point nothing of value besides time is lost. Most of the time we just steal a ship, throw all the loot overboard and run it aground and move on to the next group of suckers.

3. The map can be kind of empty. I spent a couple hours the other night looking for some of the big sea creatures and I we couldn't find poo poo.

It's good, and the developers keep adding content to it, but it's not quite there yet.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

bengy81 posted:

Sea of Thieves is good, I resub to gamepads every now and then to play it with buddies, its definitely a game to play with people you know, or goons at least, I wouldn't do a random lobby.

Cool, that’s kinda the impression I got from a few videos I’ve seen online. Thanks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

new maximus cup for tetris 99

6/21, eshop points prize again. no new theme.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

new maximus cup for tetris 99

6/21, eshop points prize again. no new theme.

We already have the only theme we'd ever need.

Now if they added online 99 player rensa mode, we'd be cooking with gas.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

#nottheonion

EA: They’re not loot boxes, they’re “surprise mechanics,” and they’re “quite ethical”

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I think EA is one of the few things in my life that I’ve actively boycotted

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

colachute posted:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Path of Exile has lootboxes but they're pretty fair for being a terrible industry practice. The odds are clearly shown, there's no discount for buying more of them, every item in the box costs more than the box itself, and everything that drops from them is only "exclusive" for like 3 months, at which point it gets added to the store. Oh and like everything else, it's purely cosmetics and absolutely nothing that remotely influences gameplay.

I still wish they didn't have them though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

Their games have been sucking rear end lately so it’s not like you’re missing much

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fallom posted:

Their games have been sucking rear end lately so it’s not like you’re missing much

Yeah my origin only exists now when I feel like playing dragon age Inquisition.

AW gently caress I totally forgot I own, and have completely ignored all the Witcher series in my Steam! Know what I'm playing next!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/feature_tetris_creator_alexey_pajitnov_on_tetris_99_tetris_comics_and_his_favourite_tetris_piece

pajitnov interview- he loves Tetris 99 and says its the best version of the game in years

also the highest he's gotten is 3rd place. Same as me :(

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

capitalism taking video games to the obvious end game is loving hilarious

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Steel Division II is out y'all. And I'm just as bad at this one as I was the first.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

for 3 bucks nba2k19 is pretty dang good on switch

no real performance issues. Shaq and Kenny voices are in it, controls seem decent, idk i guess its a thing where the hardcore fans are mad about stuff.

either way its 3 bucks on all platforms until they update next

Thanks for this. Will definitely be taking advantage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

💯

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Despite my hemming and hawing over the last year after a friend suggested it, it turns out Rainbow Six Siege is cool and good.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Kids these days don't even know what degaussing is. :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

I had a little giggle when 120hz became new again.

I had that poo poo in 2003 at 800x600.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I started playing Outer Wilds after reading this article, and this game seems really cool. I only have about an hour into it so far, but it seems special.

Plus, it's free on Game Pass for everyone who took advantage of that deal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

A whole generation of kids is growing up not being able to prank their friends by swapping the mouse and keyboard PS/2 cables.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

psydude posted:

A whole generation of kids is growing up not being able to prank their friends by swapping the mouse and keyboard PS/2 cables.

Taking the usb receiver for their wireless kbm combo just doesn't result in the same infuriating head scratching.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Swap the M and N keys on their keyboards instead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Halo LAN parties are some of my fondest gaming memories for sure

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Halo LAN parties are some of my fondest gaming memories for sure

My friends and I had one last lan party in 2010 before I moved away to DC. It was awesome.

Now, there's little reason to do so. Kinda sad but then I remember how annoying it was to lug around my entire pc and how before networking was fool proof it often took us hours to get everyone setup so we could see each other's servers and what not.

Also I have fond memories of having lan parties that went from Friday night through Sunday afternoon. That poo poo ruled.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ugh you just triggered me on router port forwarding and setting static IPs on the old linksys WRT45G whatever the gently caress piece of poo poo blue routers to get games and torrents working

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I always wanted to build a one of those really compact computers specifically to make LAN parties easier, but I never got around to it and now... there's really no point to doing so anymore. This is a real bummer because were (are?) some pretty neat options for mini-ITX.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can’t you make a pretty decent portable gaming cube thing with a handle, maybe three times the size as a GameCube?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

My buddy has his basement set up so we can have five people in the same room playing 360. We mainly use it for Bad Company 2 and it rules.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ugh you just triggered me on router port forwarding and setting static IPs on the old linksys WRT45G whatever the gently caress piece of poo poo blue routers to get games and torrents working

One time we "borrowed" a 48 port switch from the Cisco program at my high school. It owned and made life so much easier.

Speaking of that, I'm planning on installing ethernet throughout my new house and having a patch panel setup in my basement.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Unplug their mouse and plug yours in instead and try to match their movements

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

I always wanted to build a one of those really compact computers specifically to make LAN parties easier, but I never got around to it and now... there's really no point to doing so anymore. This is a real bummer because were (are?) some pretty neat options for mini-ITX.

Small format desktop computers are as garbage now as they were back in the day imo. They’re loud as hell and not as small as you want them to be. I swapped my homemade mini ITX HTPC for a Shield and use the PC as a NAS instead.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

TIL that people still did LAN parties in 2010.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

colachute posted:

TIL that people still did LAN parties in 2010.

I have a bunch of coworkers that still do LAN parties usually for Battlefield: Viet Nam, or one of those turned based conquest games like Rome Total War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The only good way to do multiplayer Crusader Kings 2 is in a LAN party setting.