Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Minrad posted:

Yeah I love farming primals so that would be my primary incentive. Could also be really handy if/when the HW extremes start to be soloable.

I might just take the loving plunge and bail out the moment I sniff a range that's gonna sink me for more than like, a few million gil. It's not like I couldn't go back and level poo poo more later on... :shrug:

You might have a different experience than I did, but nowdays it's possible to directly spend almost no gil if you're reasonably patient, willing to gather crafting/Scrip mats, and diligent about daily Hunts/Poetics. Opportunity cost might be higher. 0-150 is easy since it's crafted stuff & solo dungeon/Coil runs, then it's solo Fractal runs to ~170 -> Centurios & Red Scrips to ~220 -> Poetics to 240 -> crafted to 290 -> then it slows a lot, alternating Centurios, Yellow Scrips, and group dungeon runs to cap. I estimate BSM would take as long as GSM & LTW combined, maybe more.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
BSM is the loving worst thing to desynth and through all of stormblood it hasn't come close to breaking even, especially compared to wvr and gsm.

Maybe crp is worse but I can imagine they're both just god awful.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

also is there any reason i shouldn't buy the ff14 complete edition on steam? it has the base game and stormblood

Just buy the base game for $20 and if you decide to stick with it buy Shadowbringers for $40 which contains all the expansions.

If you buy the complete version now you will end up spending $100 to get everything.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

BSM is the loving worst thing to desynth and through all of stormblood it hasn't come close to breaking even, especially compared to wvr and gsm.

It's slightly better since some jewelry is CRP, but yes it still hurts and the returns at cap are low

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Wvr sucks too though is the thing. At least through stormblood most of the drops are gsm and ltw. I'll admit I didn't ditch cul for wvr until around 4.3 but my wvr still lags behind at 350 while gsm and ltw hit 370.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Tainen posted:

Just buy the base game for $20 and if you decide to stick with it buy Shadowbringers for $40 which contains all the expansions.

If you buy the complete version now you will end up spending $100 to get everything.

thanks, i'll do this

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Other than being able to desynth dungeon gear from your daily expert roulette is there any actual use for high level desynth? It was super useful in HW because you could get Glass Fiber from scrip gear & FC3s were in high demand but I don't think the same was true in SB? I didn't play for most of the expansion so I probably missed something.

Obviously ShB desynth could be a gold mine like HW was at some points.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

sudo rm -rf posted:

thanks, i'll do this
Also worth noting, there's a promo going on where you get Heavensward free with the base game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

aers posted:

Other than being able to desynth dungeon gear from your daily expert roulette is there any actual use for high level desynth? It was super useful in HW because you could get Glass Fiber from scrip gear & FC3s were in high demand but I don't think the same was true in SB? I didn't play for most of the expansion so I probably missed something.

Depends on if you're getting poo poo worth desynthing (duh, but BSM isn't really gonna be worth it if you aren't getting lots of weapon drops from, say, primals, for example)

For SB I think the big one was being able to get Stormsap from the alliance raid gear, meaning if you were running it a lot you could potentially make a fortune off a material that was otherwise capped by daily quests. Right now I think you can make a lot from desynthing primal weapons since a lot of the crafting mats from Heavensward and a few SB primals sell for a ton; scales from Nidhogg and Shinryu both go for almost a million very consistently and most of the other mats are up there anywhere from a million to half a million gil as well.

Good chance that prices and demand goes up for Stormblood primal crafting mats if they add glowy versions of their weapons again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

aers posted:

Well the glass fiber market crashed once you could buy them with GC seals. We'll see if desynth has anything similar that's required for high level recipes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Minrad posted:

Depends on if you're getting poo poo worth desynthing (duh, but BSM isn't really gonna be worth it if you aren't getting lots of weapon drops from, say, primals, for example)

Mastercraft Materia for GC seals says otherwise :getin:

But you only need ARR level BSM desynth for that and the big money is in the new hotness of Primal Weapons usually.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sudo rm -rf posted:

also is there any reason i shouldn't buy the ff14 complete edition on steam? it has the base game and stormblood

Bless you for asking before pulling the trigger.

You're locked into buying all your future expansions through Steam, and can never take advantage of the steeply ramping discounts that happen shortly before and after an expansion launch.

Furthermore, it has been indicated by the devs in the future (and through datamined login strings) that current Steam-purchased copies of the game will be forced to log in to Steam in order to fire up the launcher to punch in your password and authenticator code.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Did they mention anything about extra character slots what with the new races?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Did they mention anything about extra character slots what with the new races?

"Please pay $10 for a Fantasia" or "Please make a character on a less-congested server"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's no way they're ever going over the what is it, eight slots for characters. It just doesn't make sense with how the game works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

There's no way they're ever going over the what is it, eight slots for characters. It just doesn't make sense with how the game works.

Especially with world visit.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

isk posted:

You might have a different experience than I did, but nowdays it's possible to directly spend almost no gil if you're reasonably patient, willing to gather crafting/Scrip mats, and diligent about daily Hunts/Poetics. Opportunity cost might be higher. 0-150 is easy since it's crafted stuff & solo dungeon/Coil runs, then it's solo Fractal runs to ~170 -> Centurios & Red Scrips to ~220 -> Poetics to 240 -> crafted to 290 -> then it slows a lot, alternating Centurios, Yellow Scrips, and group dungeon runs to cap. I estimate BSM would take as long as GSM & LTW combined, maybe more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch8MzYclx5I

Though honestly now that I've got several relics on light step and thus no good dump for poetics/seals anymore, I'll probably just take your advice and start funneling that into desynthesis in the long term rather than worrying about speed leveling all the way to 300 at this point, because I can already see that's gonna lead to a serious financial hole in my pocket if I go for it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Minrad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch8MzYclx5I

Though honestly now that I've got several relics on light step and thus no good dump for poetics/seals anymore, I'll probably just take your advice and start funneling that into desynthesis in the long term rather than worrying about speed leveling all the way to 300 at this point, because I can already see that's gonna lead to a serious financial hole in my pocket if I go for it.

:ohdear:

Also, have you stocked up on HQ Tinker's Calm/Bacon Broth? If not, highly recommended as they'll add 15-20% success rate

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Now's probably the time to stock up on Tinker's Calm, since everyone chain running Syrcus has sent the price of Catalysts plummeting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/aoirin/status/1139794353411379200

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
My wife and I have been screwing around with BLU a little bit lately and she has been walking me through dungeons to grab spells. Can a 70 BRD (and a 50 BLU with just under half the spell book filled) handle HM/EX trials for spells or should we ask for help?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Minrad posted:

For SB I think the big one was being able to get Stormsap from the alliance raid gear, meaning if you were running it a lot you could potentially make a fortune off a material that was otherwise capped by daily quests. Right now I think you can make a lot from desynthing primal weapons since a lot of the crafting mats from Heavensward and a few SB primals sell for a ton; scales from Nidhogg and Shinryu both go for almost a million very consistently and most of the other mats are up there anywhere from a million to half a million gil as well.

Good chance that prices and demand goes up for Stormblood primal crafting mats if they add glowy versions of their weapons again.

Ah yeah, okay. I never really thought about BSM (I have WVR/LTW/GSM right now like a lot of people), dunno what I'd drop for it to do weapons.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

My wife and I have been screwing around with BLU a little bit lately and she has been walking me through dungeons to grab spells. Can a 70 BRD (and a 50 BLU with just under half the spell book filled) handle HM/EX trials for spells or should we ask for help?

If you're 390+ on the BRD you should be fine for everything except Ramuh EX, though you might be skirting by on quite a bit of white wind spam from the BLU. I can solo all of those except Ramuh as SMN, though even Ramuh I can get by using SCH.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You can get Shock Strike from Ramuh Hard, so that'll be simple with a unsynched 70.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

See if you can draft a couple other level 50 BLUs.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

aers posted:

You can get primal crafting components like Nidhogg/Shinryu scales through desynth

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mulva posted:

When I whipped out the low level monk and started doing some combos it was like I saw the face of god, the giant dork just flipping his limbs all around like he's trying to kill everyone else and himself. I made the right choice.

Male Elezen are dorks who try too hard to look cool and mostly fail, and female Elezen are pretty much overly-excitable nerds. And I love it. :allears:

Unless you're playing a tank, where they actually look pretty badass. Or NIN, where they really look like flailing noodles.

Also, with desynth, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the 4.0 crafter/gatherer gear required components you could only get from desynthesis? If 5.0 is the same, and you pick the right desynth job to level, you can probably make a pile of money that way.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Vermain posted:

Now's probably the time to stock up on Tinker's Calm, since everyone chain running Syrcus has sent the price of Catalysts plummeting.

You can even get extra catalysts from desynthing Syrcus Tower drops! :eng101:

I'm still trying to get the full Phlegethon's set before ShB launch. I'll at least have enough mogtomes for a Pegasus by the time it drops, I think. Also... I really hope Amon's Hat is one of the 500+ head items the devs carefully crafted for Hrothgar/Viera. It's too iconic to be left behind like so many other headslot items.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Leofish posted:

You can even get extra catalysts from desynthing Syrcus Tower drops! :eng101:

I'm still trying to get the full Phlegethon's set before ShB launch. I'll at least have enough mogtomes for a Pegasus by the time it drops, I think. Also... I really hope Amon's Hat is one of the 500+ head items the devs carefully crafted for Hrothgar/Viera. It's too iconic to be left behind like so many other headslot items.

I doubt it, since none of the head-covering helmets in the ShB AF gear even work. It seems almost like a stylistic choice to only let them wear circlets/glasses and the like.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed they added a new EU server with the maintenance and I've got a question - since moving a character to a new world seems to be free, would it be a smart move considering the upcoming expansion launch? My character is currently on a legacy server but I've got nothing keeping me there, and my first thought was that the login queues might get real bad for a while. Then again, perhaps new servers get enough transfers that the same could be a problem there? I've never played during an expansion launch in FFXIV so I've got no idea. :saddowns:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I just noticed they added a new EU server with the maintenance and I've got a question - since moving a character to a new world seems to be free, would it be a smart move considering the upcoming expansion launch? My character is currently on a legacy server but I've got nothing keeping me there, and my first thought was that the login queues might get real bad for a while. Then again, perhaps new servers get enough transfers that the same could be a problem there? I've never played during an expansion launch in FFXIV so I've got no idea. :saddowns:

If queues are your concern, you can use world visit to temporarily log in and out of a less congested server.

Come to Omega if you're on EU!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Your Computer posted:

One thing to keep in mind with a brand new server is that if you want a house and don't already have one; this is a good shot at getting one.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Adept Nightingale posted:

I doubt it, since none of the head-covering helmets in the ShB AF gear even work. It seems almost like a stylistic choice to only let them wear circlets/glasses and the like.

A man can dream.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stormgale posted:

If queues are your concern, you can use world visit to temporarily log in and out of a less congested server.

Come to Omega if you're on EU!
oh, that actually works? I guess it's kinda possible for the players to balance out the queues themselves then, that's pretty neat! Is there an overview anywhere of how congested the different servers are?

Maguoob posted:

One thing to keep in mind with a brand new server is that if you want a house and don't already have one; this is a good shot at getting one.
I only just made my first million so I don't think I'll be in a position to buy a house anytime soon, unfortunately. The thought of being able to lose them stresses me out anyway so I'm not sure if I even want one :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

oh, that actually works? I guess it's kinda possible for the players to balance out the queues themselves then, that's pretty neat! Is there an overview anywhere of how congested the different servers are?

You'll need to queue the first time to log onto your main server, but while you are visting you log in/out of the server you are visiting so you use their queues. (Note some functionality is disabled while visiting like retainers and some chat channels but you can do all the content and quests while visiting)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, login queues are per datacenter as far as I know.

Also also, definitely get on Omega if you're playing on EU.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dinged 50 BLU.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

loving hell I can't make up my mind between going back to lalafell, staying roe, or just going viera like originally planned. I play caster/healer 90% of the time so I don't mind the smaller stature, but I just can't take lalafell tanks and melee jobs seriously. Fantasia was a mistake :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are you dissin Pippin? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm trying to get Mimesis Lux for my Summoner because giant gaudy dragon wing book is entirely my jam.

What's the most efficient way to get Sand?