Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I never knew Master Mode could change the timing of a Guardian’s laser, I always thought it was me imagining it and being terrible. :negative:

On the bright side, I had to get good enough to parry them 100% of the time that I can now identify parry frames on almost any other enemy with no problem. And now I can parry worth a drat in Dark Souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its good to know trials 2 and 3 are easy because ive been putting them off after dealing with the annoying first trials

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

QuietLion posted:

I never knew Master Mode could change the timing of a Guardian’s laser, I always thought it was me imagining it and being terrible. :negative:

On the bright side, I had to get good enough to parry them 100% of the time that I can now identify parry frames on almost any other enemy with no problem. And now I can parry worth a drat in Dark Souls!

You can see it here. Occasionally, it adds an in-between animation to the charging and firing steps - an animation short enough that, if you try to parry at the normal time, you will be wide open and eat poo poo* - and master mode doesn't give you the 1/4 heart grace period you usually get if you're hit by an extra strong attack.

*okay, there's like, a single-frame chance to re-parry if you gently caress up, but that's only if your first parry was a couple frames early.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaziken386 posted:

and master mode doesn't give you the 1/4 heart grace period you usually get if you're hit by an extra strong attack.

I think Guardian laser ignores that even in Normal Mode. On my first playthrough I died like 3 times 20 minutes into the game trying to fight the decayed guardians because I was convinced a Zelda game wouldn't put an "unbeatable" mook in the tutorial area :downs:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lezard_valeth posted:

I think Guardian laser ignores that even in Normal Mode. On my first playthrough I died like 3 times 20 minutes into the game trying to fight the decayed guardians because I was convinced a Zelda game wouldn't put an "unbeatable" mook in the tutorial area :downs:

IIRC it technically doesn't, but if you're not fireproof the last quarter heart will burn up almost instantly from the fires it starts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

A strong enough attack will ignore your last chance HP even in normal mode.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Amppelix posted:

A strong enough attack will ignore your last chance HP even in normal mode.

It's this iirc. If you're scooting around with the basic piddly health pool and you get shot in the face with a doom laser, I'm pretty sure you just loving die.

I'd be interested to see the math behind whether or not the game gives you that last-chance survival.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I would buy a $5 math fix dlc that let you customize the formulas in the game so fast

Unfortunately no one else would

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

nrook posted:

I would buy a $5 math fix dlc that let you customize the formulas in the game so fast

Unfortunately no one else would

That's not true at all, if the customization extends as far as "the physics of the game world." I'd pay for Skate Or Die: Hyrule Edition with moon gravity, super low friction, and no durability loss from shield surfing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's not true at all, if the customization extends as far as "the physics of the game world." I'd pay for Skate Or Die: Hyrule Edition with moon gravity, super low friction, and no durability loss from shield surfing.
TBH shield durability loss isn't a big deal when you get the hylian shield. It's got 800 durability - the 2nd highest (without amiibo) has 60.

I got it after my first or second divine beast, and it survived until I'd gotten 100/120 shrines and all the dungeons done with copious shield surfing. And buy then, paying 3,000 for a replacement isn't a big deal.

Having customizable physics would be friggin' great though

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Grab the Ancient Shield for surfing. It has the least amount of friction when surfing on must surfaces and can even be pretty good at letting you surf uphill if you have enough momentum. Not as much overall durability as the Hylian Shield, but I think it takes less overall shield damage while surfing on optimal surfaces. Not that I have a source to back that up, though....

Also, shield surfing on snow, sand, and (when it's raining) grass will either not take up durability at all or will reduce it to minimal amounts. Shield surfing on grass in the rain over Hyrule Field is great.

You could also watch this video with a clickbaity title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E0yxP2K8Ls

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

andipossess posted:

Grab the Ancient Shield for surfing. It has the least amount of friction when surfing on must surfaces and can even be pretty good at letting you surf uphill if you have enough momentum. Not as much overall durability as the Hylian Shield, but I think it takes less overall shield damage while surfing on optimal surfaces. Not that I have a source to back that up, though....

Also, shield surfing on snow, sand, and (when it's raining) grass will either not take up durability at all or will reduce it to minimal amounts. Shield surfing on grass in the rain over Hyrule Field is great.

Now I want DLC that gives link a skateboard shield that doesn't work as a shield, but lets you surf infinitely

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

andipossess posted:

wait.........differemt shield has different friction??????

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ancient Shield is also a hoverboard

DanZX
May 5, 2015

andipossess posted:

What!? This loving game is the best

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

andipossess posted:

250 hours in BotW and I had no idea you could do tricks while shield surfing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
One of these days we're going to find an entire extra dungeon that was there the whole time and we just didn't notice.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

its good to know trials 2 and 3 are easy because ive been putting them off after dealing with the annoying first trials

I don't know, everyone else says 1 is the worst but it only took me 2 or 3 tries to get through it, and I never finished the 2nd one even after probably 20+ attempts. Whichever room it is with the bokos behind cover shooting arrows at you as you paraglide, I found that one way harder than the lizalfos in the first set. It got me every single time and I eventually gave up.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kazy posted:

250 hours in BotW and I had no idea you could do tricks while shield surfing.

well, you can press that one button

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

someone posted one of this persons vids recently and Im in awe of others too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrpJ9VkURuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDVAcQjhBM

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/KanzakiYufei/status/1140304703680593920

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes!!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

BotW2: Link gets really into fashion, Zelda decides 100 years squatting on a blob of condensed evil sucked rear end so she becomes the most chaotic gremlin child to ever exist. Everyone's gonna eat her frogs. For Science.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If I can’t do the knee shuffle while crouched/sneaking in going to be real mad, game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaziken386 posted:

BotW2: Link gets really into fashion, Zelda decides 100 years squatting on a blob of condensed evil sucked rear end so she becomes the most chaotic gremlin child to ever exist. Everyone's gonna eat her frogs. For Science.

This is canon in my mind. She only got serious again right before the expedition that starts the sequel.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

scary ghost dog posted:

wait.........differemt shield has different friction??????

I beat the Selmie snowboarding race on the first try because I happened to have Daybreaker equipped.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

this game is the best. when i get more powers im gonna try this poo poo out, im in mastermode at the min but still early on.

edit: also that "help us, please" in the botw2 trailer. :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 17, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Carwaro/status/1140347795624398849?s=19

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

*bangs table*

“Bring back the witches! BRING BACK TH-“

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The middle master trials are really tedious with the wind making blowing up crates and stuff annoying.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

And the hits keep on coming!

https://twitter.com/Swiffy22/status/1140744959961837571

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hey what the gently caress

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWbUwWwaLhE

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the final master sword trial being 23 floors is very daunting.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Blaziken386 posted:

hey what the gently caress

never occurred to me to stasis ganon or blights

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Apparently the Divine Beasts' themes have an SOS in Morse code hidden in them

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8epQNnsn-I

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao this loving game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Apparently the Divine Beasts' themes have an SOS in Morse code hidden in them

:stare:
people have said that for ages, but I've strained my ears trying to hear it and I've never been able to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

https://kotaku.com/breath-of-the-wild-is-getting-a-sequel-because-the-team-1835624233