Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
anything by akiko higashimura is good, but kakukaku shikajika is her realest and probably best work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Looking for some new episodic fun/comedy/weird anime to watch in between arcs of more serious serious stuff during anime nights. Astro Fighter Sunred was the perfect fit here, but we've finished it now (already have seen Cromartie, Sakamoto, DMC).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lhet posted:

Looking for some new episodic fun/comedy/weird anime to watch in between arcs of more serious serious stuff during anime nights. Astro Fighter Sunred was the perfect fit here, but we've finished it now (already have seen Cromartie, Sakamoto, DMC).

Go watch Bodacious Space Pirates.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lhet posted:

If you want shorter wacky bullshit, Teekyu and Pop Team Epic might suit your fancy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Space Dandy, Aho Girl, or the original bad Portugese dub of Dragonball.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

Space Dandy, Aho Girl, or the original bad Portugese dub of Dragonball.
Yooooooooo! This goon knows what's up. :hfive:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch Bodacious Space Pirates.
In more serious seconding of recommendations, this one is pretty baller.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Squid Girl, Daily Lives of High School Boy, and Ghost Stories Dub (I'm not sure how well the humor has aged).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ghost Stories Dub (I'm not sure how well the humor has aged).

Horribly in my opinion-a ton of dated jokes, a bunch of mean-spirited/stereotypical humor, and the main plot just isn't that interesting. There are some good bits in there, but I'd probably just recommend looking up the clips on YouTube instead of watching the whole show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Ghost Stories kinda aged itself worse than other some pop-culture-laden shows. Squid Girl and Nichibros have, for the most part, held on fairly OK for shows made 9 and 7 years ago.

Also, how come no one has mentioned the endearing doofuses from Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun / Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lhet posted:

I'd say Gintama, but that might have a few too many serious arcs to qualify, even if the dumb episodic comedy bits are the better part.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lhet posted:

This sounds like a job for The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lhet posted:

Osomatsu-san

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thanks for all the recommendations, should be more than enough even if I'm picky!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lhet posted:

Inferno Cop

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

Inferno Cop

yeah this, inferno cop is high-octane stupidity mainlined into your eyeballs in 3 minute chunks

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Ai Mai Mii

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
This has probably been asked many, many times in this thread. But I’m looking for something (either feature length or episodic) from the 80s or 90s. Not really sure what I’m looking for genre-wise, but definitely looking for some beautiful art—and nothing to fagela.

I’ve got pretty entry-level American boy tastes. I love Samurai Champloo, Bebop, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Miyazaki.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Head Bee Guy posted:

This has probably been asked many, many times in this thread. But I’m looking for something (either feature length or episodic) from the 80s or 90s. Not really sure what I’m looking for genre-wise, but definitely looking for some beautiful art—and nothing to fagela.

I’ve got pretty entry-level American boy tastes. I love Samurai Champloo, Bebop, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Miyazaki.

Outlaw Star?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

AnoHito posted:

Outlaw Star?

Saw it recently, thought it was alright.

The genre can be anything, I suppose. I’ve only seen a pretty limited selection of what’s out there

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Gunbuster!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

This has probably been asked many, many times in this thread. But I’m looking for something (either feature length or episodic) from the 80s or 90s.
Irresponsible Captain Tylor?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Big O

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

devilman ovas, honneamise, riding bean, gunbuster

edit: forgot the 90s: Ihatov Gensou: Kenji no Haru, the satoshi kon movies, memories

Davincie fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 20, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Patlabor TV and Movies 1 and 2 are good picks

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Head Bee Guy posted:

Space Adventure Cobra, and Lupin (Be warned that the first season is bad), Slayers is really good, but you don't get much beautiful art outside of the OVAs/movies.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I want to recommend Midnight occult civil servants on Crunchyroll. There is a whole manga that hasn't been translated at all in Japan, at least we get it animated, however long it will last for.

A mix between slice of life/detective/action/drama. It's really good and I look forward to each week when it comes out.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/midnight-occult-civil-servants

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hamelekim posted:

I want to recommend Midnight occult civil servants on Crunchyroll. There is a whole manga that hasn't been translated at all in Japan, at least we get it animated, however long it will last for.

A mix between slice of life/detective/action/drama. It's really good and I look forward to each week when it comes out.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/midnight-occult-civil-servants

It's on Funimation as well as a simuldub. I quite like it too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm looking for a new shounen series

I just finished season two of Mob Psycho, and I'm all caught up on One Piece and One Punch Man. What's the current cool shounen hotness besides those?

I finished the DB Super episodes up through the multiverse tournament arc, it was super duper and I heard that they continued the series after that (even though that arc was such a good stopping point)? Is that any good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

QuarkJets posted:

I just finished season two of Mob Psycho, and I'm all caught up on One Piece and One Punch Man. What's the current cool shounen hotness besides those?

I finished the DB Super episodes up through the multiverse tournament arc, it was super duper and I heard that they continued the series after that (even though that arc was such a good stopping point)? Is that any good?

My Hero Academia.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Aside from MHA, Demon Slayer/Kimetsu no Yaiba is great, but you might want to wait until its first season is over so you can binge it.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Really liked Texhnolyze; couldn't stand the cat ears or the awkward references to literature in Ergo Proxy. What should I watch? Doesn't necessarily need to be about the end of the world.

Other shows I've really liked recently: Baki, Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo is my favorite of all time. Also read Shigrui recently and really like it except for well a lot of things. But overall it was cool!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rest his guts posted:

Really liked Texhnolyze; couldn't stand the cat ears or the awkward references to literature in Ergo Proxy. What should I watch? Doesn't necessarily need to be about the end of the world.

Other shows I've really liked recently: Baki, Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo is my favorite of all time

hyouge mono for philosophy samurai, paranoia agent, lain, ghost in the shell

most of these have a lot less fighting than most of what you watched but try it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

rest his guts posted:

Other shows I've really liked recently: Baki, Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo is my favorite of all time. Also read Shigrui recently and really like it except for well a lot of things. But overall it was cool!

You would probably enjoy Casshern Sins, which is about the end of the world. You might also enjoy Gilgsmesh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rest his guts posted:

Other shows I've really liked recently: Baki, Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo is my favorite of all time.
Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still, Overman King Gainer and Gunbuster/Diebuster are my GL recs

Serial Experiments Lain is my texhnolyze rec.

JoJo's and Hajime no Ippo are my Baki recs

and if you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy, they're definitely worth looking into if Champloo is your favorite of all time, though they strike different tones they're still very similar to Champloo since there's a lot of shared staff between the three.

Also you might dig Devilman Crybaby?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Space Dandy starts out good and gets rediculously great once it goes full surrealism, it's one of those "everyone should watch" things if you ask me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
inspired by NGE becoming popular again, I sat down and watched it, it was fun, but now I'm out and need a new fix.
Looking for something like FMA/Mob Psycho/Madoka/NGE/TTGL, ie: heavy on the overarching themes/symbolism, isn't afraid to beat you over the head with them, and is/was popular for good reason.

sidenote: the adtr wiki linked in the OP is, uh, up for sale

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You should check out Gunbuster just for Hideaki Anno and the fun of comparing the show - from the 80s! - to Evangelion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blaziken386 posted:

inspired by NGE becoming popular again, I sat down and watched it, it was fun, but now I'm out and need a new fix.
Looking for something like FMA/Mob Psycho/Madoka/NGE/TTGL, ie: heavy on the overarching themes/symbolism, isn't afraid to beat you over the head with them, and is/was popular for good reason.

sidenote: the adtr wiki linked in the OP is, uh, up for sale

Try the Ghost in the Shell Movies, and also the Stand Alone Complex tv show. Also Satoshi Kon stuff in general.

EDIT: Also Princess Tutu and Utena!

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 25, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Allarion posted:

Try the Ghost in the Shell Movies, and also the Stand Alone Complex tv show
I've seen those! They're pretty great. I watched the original movie forever ago, then saw the second one at the library recently, and after that went and watched the series. Was kind of annoyed by the Major's design in the show at first, but after I got over that I enjoyed what I saw.

Still need to finish the second season, come to think of it. Got interrupted by school poo poo halfway through.

ufarn posted:

You should check out Gunbuster just for Hideaki Anno and the fun of comparing the show - from the 80s! - to Evangelion.
I'll keep that in mind, if only to complete the trio of gainax mecha shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rahxephon is pretty good too. People compare it to eva a lot, and it certainly has similarities, but you could say it's its own...beast