Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I asked for a DNA test?

About eight years ago I went to a friend's wedding. While I was there I wound up having a drunken one-night stand with an old friend I went to school with.

The next morning I woke up to her crying, she said she was in a serious relationship and our hookup was a big mistake. I instinctively apologized, but she insisted it was all her fault, and I had no reason to apologize. I gave her my word that I will keep quiet about things, and this would just be our secret.

I've kept my word for years. I never said nothing to anyone, I've actually almost forgot about it myself.

About a month ago, I was scrolling through Facebook when I seen something that shook my whole world up. I seen a picture of my daughter sitting on some random guy's lap. After a doubletake and a thorough inspection, I realized this was not my daughter. I realized that it was my old friend's husband and their daughter.

The resemblance is uncanny those girls are almost twins. The math adds up and, my thoughts have been driving me crazy for a month now. I want to say something, I feel like I need to know the truth. I need to put my mind to rest. I don't want to break a family, but after my mom passed away, I found out that me and my children are at high risk for colon cancer. If she is my child, I feel like this is something she needs to know.

EDIT: If I found out she was mine, I would most definitely want to be a part of her life. What kind of man would I be if I didn't? I agreed to keep her infidelity a secret, I never agreed to let another man raise my child.

I feel guilty, because the two of them look so happy in that picture. I would hate to spoil the relationship between those two. I couldn't imagine if I found out my daughter wasn't mine. But at the same time I can't imagine missing out on my child's life.

wow, what an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Djeser posted:

what? no. god, what the gently caress. who thinks like this? "i'm not a man if i don't raise my biological spawn!" this is selfish in ways i had never imagined

This is what guys teach each other yeah

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Djeser posted:

what? no. god, what the gently caress. who thinks like this? "i'm not a man if i don't raise my biological spawn!" this is selfish in ways i had never imagined

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I want the plot twist to be that they are sisters, but neither of them are his child.

when black mirror starts going downhill, they should use this plot to arrest it's descent for a bit. i'd watch that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Pirate Radar posted:

This is what guys teach each other yeah

wouldn't having secret kids being raised by unwitting other men be the ultimate accomplishment for the kind of brokebrain morons who say things like "othercum" unironically

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wouldn't having secret kids being raised by unwitting other men be the ultimate accomplishment for the kind of brokebrain morons who say things like "othercum" unironically

Men are vast, we contain multitudes

Lots of different kinds of lovely dudes out there

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

naming my two girls Barry Berkman and Gene M. Cousineau

I appreciate this.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I appreciate this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
If the dude feels so passionate about it, he could simply PM the one-night stand and tell her his family has a high rate of colon cancer. No more, no less.

But then it wouldn't be about him now, would it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not telling my neighbours that their daughter got her first period?

I (22M) live next door to a lovely family with 3 girls aged 13, 9ish and 6. We get along adequately considering I'm a bit of a hermit, they'll occasionally invite me over for dinner and I let them use my spa (hot tub?) whenever they want. Recently they asked if I would be OK acting as a semi-absent babysitter for the girls over the weekend, as they were going on their first trip leaving them home alone for one night (they are a bit young for that though right?). I of course said no problem, and even said I would go over and check on them overnight to make sure they hadn't vanished. Everything is set up, phone numbers, medical information, a will (just in case) and off they went Saturday morning.

​Nothing of note happens until 4pm rolls around and I get a knock at the door. I was fully expecting to have to go turn the oven on for them or something, but standing there is the oldest girl looking more pale than bucket of water. This scared the poo poo out of me because last I checked she was a friendly Malaysian and not a friendly ghost. Immediately she softly said she had started her period. Now I'm no mathematician but even I deduced that this was new territory for her since she's asking me, a 22 year old dude for help with her hoo-ha.

​My immediate though is to A. call her parents and B. call her parents. I guess I'm a sucker though because she asked me not too and said she would tell them when they got home, and I listened to her. All she asked was if I could go and buy the goods, and she knew what to do with them. Ordinarily, I would tell her to go to hell and to drive herself, but I decided against that approach this one time.

​At the store the nice gal working their helped me pick out a variety of pads, I decided against tampons for obvious reasons I hope, and grabbed some chocolate for all three girls as a gift and headed home. When I got back she whizzed into the bathroom to install the hardware (or is it software?). I made sure she knew what was going on, offered to print some pamphlets off if she wanted like I'm a teacher or something, and left after she assured me she was fine to heat up dinner and go about her day.

​Everything went well over night and my neighbours came home in the morning and were promptly filled in on everything by their kids and I gave praise to their behaviour and so forth. Everything's good right? Wrong! My neighbours have spoken to me and think I am wrong for not phoning them to let them know their daughter had started her period. I feel they are incorrect, and I am just following the wishes of the period-haver and if she wanted them to know sooner she would have called them herself or at least not asked me to not tell them.

​TL;DR I was babysitting my neighbour's kids and their 13 year old got her first period. She asked me not to tell her parents so I didn't and they think I should've told them. AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I turned in my coworker for having a green card marriage?

Basically as the title states, would I be the rear end in a top hat if I turned in my coworker for having a green card marriage? So for context he married a girl who is from Russia for the explicit version of her getting her USA citizenship, from what I know there is a monetary incentive for him in this arrangement. normally i wouldn't give two shits about this and let live. But one of my closest friends got married to a girl from Brazil and its been a huge pain in the rear end for them proving that they are in fact a couple and not trying to scam the system so she can get citizenship.

My coworker who got the green card marriage is very vocal and honest about it, so its not like its really confidential info. from what Ive gathered his 'wife' comes from a middle/ upper middle class family in Russia. The way he talks about her is grating on me too he keeps talking about how good of a guy he is because he's never made/asked her to have sex with him. along with making degrading comments all the time.

​So in short me informing immigration would in no way impact me or my life, I don't have any skin in the game really. It be partly petty and partly because I've seen what my friend and his wife have had to go through because of arrangements like this.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ooof. What a good guy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

NTA. Parents are huge assholes though.

Although "normally I'd tell a frightened 13 year old to drive herself" is a weird phrase so I'm not sure what's going on with dude. But I think he handled this right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Probably should have told them but uh 13,9,6 is a bit young to be home alone over night.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Although "normally I'd tell a frightened 13 year old to drive herself" is a weird phrase so I'm not sure what's going on with dude. But I think he handled this right.

Yeah that was weird so I looked at the comments and OP says it was a joke. I buy it since, like, duh.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I turned in my coworker for having a green card marriage?

WITBTA if I did something to hurt two other people in a way that benefits nobody?

There's no quota on marriage green cards. If the process is a pain it's a pain for everyone. Sabotaging one doesn't make a different one go more smoothly.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hellblazer187 posted:

NTA. Parents are huge assholes though.

"normally I'd tell a frightened 13 year old to drive herself" is a weird phrase"

right? that totally stuck out. But mainly Those parents are really going above and beyond to make this awkward for her,

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Why would parents need to know IMMEDIATELY when their daughter has her period? I get that it's something they should know about in general but like, they found out next day.

It's weird that they would be conservative enough to be mad about this, but permissive enough to let three literal children home alone overnight.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MarcusSA posted:

Probably should have told them but uh 13,9,6 is a bit young to be home alone over night.
13 is old enough if you raised them well enough and/or fearful enough which appears to be the case, and a 13 year old can manage 9 and 6 for a weekend with a neighbour to help out in an emergency.

OP's writing style sucks, but he seems like a good guy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

All she asked was if I could go and buy the goods, and she knew what to do with them. Ordinarily, I would tell her to go to hell and to drive herself, but I decided against that approach this one time.

Dudes who get snotty about buying period products are shitheads. This dude seems to have largely not been a shithead about this, but the principle holds.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

13 is old enough if you raised them well enough and/or fearful enough which appears to be the case, and a 13 year old can manage 9 and 6 for a weekend with a neighbour to help out in an emergency.

You can't be serious.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

13 is old enough to look after herself overnight, but not old enough to look after 9 and 6. IMO.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Hellblazer187 posted:

13 is old enough to look after herself overnight, but not old enough to look after 9 and 6. IMO.

It's fine, she just has to keep them in their cages.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Antivehicular posted:

Dudes who get snotty about buying period products are shitheads. This dude seems to have largely not been a shithead about this, but the principle holds.
I don't think it has anything to do with period products, he's just a guy who's proud of being anti social in general. He starts with "We get along adequately considering I'm a bit of a hermit."

Taima posted:

You can't be serious.
In the context that the neighbour is there, yeah. If they were actually alone, then no. What do you think could happen? Hermit neighbour is around all the time, so they're not actually alone. Those ages are old enough to not need minute by minute supervision, so the guy popping in a couple of times a day and being available if something happens is fine. It really depends on the kids. Some 6 and 9 year olds need constant supervision, but others just play with toys/videogames/read all day.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
In a lot of cultures, 13 year olds could microwave a fish dinner for the 9 and 6 year old.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh yeah I forget which page it was on but the post saying Americans don’t eat fish multiple times a week had me real confused

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I agree with this. It seems as though they are some cultural differences though.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for wearing “crocs” to work? (Serious, I may have just been denied a promotion)

quote:

I work for a local remote IT firm. Since we have no direct physical interactions with customers our only line on the dress code is “be clean and dont wear anything that causes a distraction.”

As such I wear my Croc sandals nearly every day. They are comfy, they are easy and they are cool. No one has ever had any issue with them.

But today promotion annoucements were made and I was passed over. In the post mortem with my boss he flat out told me that the woman who was promoted to management was neck and neck with me on every aspect of customer and technical knowledge it’s just that she presented a much more professional image. I asked him to explain and he said “David, off the record...you wear loving kids shoes every day. Give me a break from having to offer any explanations.”

To me I was within standards and maybe I’m looking at a case of anti-male bias and have some grounds to go to HR. But before that, am I the rear end in a top hat for wearing crocs to work?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh yeah I forget which page it was on but the post saying Americans don’t eat fish multiple times a week had me real confused

Random unrelated fact: the John Hopkins center did a study on seafood waste in 2015 and determined that roughly 50 percent of ALL seafood in the USA is wasted each year. That is well over 2 billion pounds of wasted seafood each year. That includes bycatch, but still.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378015300340

Also interesting: Japan alone eats 10% of the world's fish each year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for wearing “crocs”

Yes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didnt realize crocs were a men's exclusive shoe, learn something everyday from stupid idiots

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for wearing “crocs” to work?

This is amazing. Oh my god. Literally everything about this is great.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

I didnt realize crocs were a men's exclusive shoe, learn something everyday from stupid idiots

Nah, but most women are too socially aware to even consider wearing crocs in an office environment.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They promoted the woman because she was smart enough to realize they were lying about their dress code

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Social awareness is a top commodity in IT. If the boss was correct and everything else was equal then she was a better candidate by a mile.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

They promoted the woman because she was smart enough to realize they were lying about their dress code

They weren't lying about the dress code, no one is going to fire him for wearing crocs.

If he's too much of a dumbass to figure out the people he works for do care about image, he probably shouldn't be managing people.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Piell posted:

AITA for reporting two coworkers and potentially getting them fired?

A few pages ago but this poo poo triggers me. There are so many stories in this thread about awkward workplace romances and I just don't get it. At least the people in this story are single but so many other stories are "I want to gently caress my married co-worker" or "my married boss made a pass at me." Like why? Nothing good ever comes of this poo poo. It's an HR nightmare that no one needs. It's going to be a pain in the rear end for your boss, for you, for everyone you work with, etc.

I get so annoyed by this because the place I work is absolutely horrible about drama-filled co-worker relationships. A bunch of VPs had some swinging group going on for a few years that resulted in several of them losing their jobs because someone wasn't happy with his boss loving his wife. A married director got "allegedly" knocked up by a guy who reported to her that was subsequently fired for actual theft and is now suing for both paternity and wrongful termination because she was taking advantage of him. One dude was an incredible creep who had a no-poo poo list of everyone who he wanted to gently caress at work and would talk about it all the time. The number of people who leave or are asked to leave because they have affairs with their suppliers is shocking. These are people at the top of their loving field in our industry and they cannot keep their parts in their pants. My biggest fear as a manager is that someone on my team fucks someone else on my team. Not theft, incompetence, or bribery but inter-team loving. Best case scenario: they are both single, nothing uncomfortable happens, and I can get one of them moved to another team to reduce drama potential.

Don't date/gently caress someone who reports to you, don't date/gently caress someone who you report to, don't date/gently caress someone that you regularly work with. The attractive project manager that you had one three week interaction with two years ago? Go loving nuts. Someone you see multiple times a week for work? Stay the gently caress away. No one wants to deal with that poo poo.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for wearing “crocs” to work? (Serious, I may have just been denied a promotion)

“David, off the record...you wear loving kids shoes every day. Give me a break from having to offer any explanations.”

Now, I'll preface this by saying the guy is a moron, and who the hell wants to wear crocs at a workplace that isn't a summer camp or daycare?

That said, if this boss had just pulled him aside on day 2 of wearing the crocs, and just mentioned that it's not professional, this could have all been avoided. So the give me a break BS is unnecessary, next time tell your employees what is actually expected of them.

EDIT: but he absolutely should not get the promotion.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pinecone Sample posted:

"Sorry, we promoted the person who acts like she gives a poo poo about being here"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Now, I'll preface this by saying the guy is a moron, and who the hell wants to wear crocs at a workplace that isn't a summer camp or daycare?

That said, if this boss had just pulled him aside on day 2 of wearing the crocs, and just mentioned that it's not professional, this could have all been avoided. So the give me a break BS is unnecessary, next time tell your employees what is actually expected of them.

There’s what is expected of someone in the current position vs what is expected of someone in a higher position. Duder can rock the crocs until retirement in his current spot, but shouldn’t expect to be in line for a promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Dude dresses for the job he has and the company is fine with that.