Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Pretty sure the next post now is on the next page. :v:

Double checking the theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Quinntan posted:

Double checking the theory

It was correct.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, someone is going to see all the posts and get excited for an update. It's gonna be great

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, someone is going to see all the posts and get excited for an update. It's gonna be great

Ain't I a stinker?

also the thread was about to get archived

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Sneaky sneaky. Glad to have you back.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Yay! Looking forward to more.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's been so long I'm basically reading blind now so it'll be an extra-special update.

What's a Pokemon again?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I too, would like to read the continuation of this LP.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Not even going to try to be cute this time; right after my last post I had a batch of job interviews that all came to nothing, and then I spent a while sitting around staring at various things I had to do without actually doing them.

But hey, it's summer now, so there is time for klax man-poking.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

No worries man, I'm trying to scramble for a job I can keep myself. Do what you need to do.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Looking forward to it whenever you can.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Look forward to more of this. Also Raticate’s a good giant stone chewing rat when it closes it’s mouth. Also Super and Hyper Fang are good poo poo.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
what the heck is a codec

So for this update I tried recording a video first instead of trying to grab screenshots on the fly. I realized too late that I'd ended up with lovely, low-quality video, and when I tried to back up to the pre-video save file, realized that VBA stores its battery saves somewhere completely different from where I expected. Oops. This may have something to do with why this update took another four months. :saddowns:

We've had those cruise tickets burning a hole in our pocket for a couple updates, so before we go any farther afield, let's get them out of the way. Among other things, this will get the foul stench of Bill out of our inventory that much sooner.

I shuffle my lineup around a little bit before heading in. Hopefully Az can handle himself if anything unexpected shows up.

:homebrew:

And just like that, we're past! I hope there's an open bar.

You might be challenged by the more bored ones!

Something to look forward to, I guess.

Um...

...riiiight. Moving on.

The hallway continues around to the left and right, so let's see who's in those passenger cabins.

You're on a cruise, sir, you could meet some more people if you just... never mind.

I assume that "orange" means "fire", so The Rock seems like the logical counter. He tears through this one and the second identical Growlithe that follows.

:smith:

Next room has a free rest stop. Nice! And in the next...

...Huh. I'm actually sort of impressed to meet somebody who reacts to a trespasser the way a normal person might. Still going to beat up his pets, though.

Arthur has a male and female Nidoran. Nothing too exciting.

It's like he's never heard of an RPG protagonist before.

Fine, I'm going. :mad:

How... how do you mistake a child for the staff? :psyduck:

Poop poopoo?

Next cabin has this family. The boy immediately accosts Kat, but he just has a Nidoran.

And despite her claims of traveling the world, his sister only has a couple of Pokemon you can get in the earliest areas. Oh well.

Don't tell your mom that's all you got from this cruise.

Their cabin has another TM for me to agonize over not using...

And the kids' mother seems oblivious to the throwdown that took place right behind her.

I'm on the trail of TEAM ROCKET. They're up to nothing good!

:ssh:

That's it for the passenger deck cabins. Let's head below...

Where we find more cabins!

He has enough STRENGTH to move big rocks!

Swolemon! :aaa:

The table has a Super Potion, which I guess is a regular potion but super.

We've graduated from fighting the other guests to fighting the crew! :woop:

Unsurprisingly they have water Pokemon. Instead of doing the smart thing and using Oddish or Pikachu I'm just slugging at them with a variety of less-suited team members. Good thing the healing room is just upstairs!

Mothra also finally learns Sleep Powder. I end up swapping out Stun Spore, since paralysis hasn't done much for me yet.

oh god tentacles :cthulhu:

Barbra ends up being a poor choice against Tentacool, getting poisoned almost immediately, but the Rock punches it into submission.

Stop it, you're making me blush.

You can complete the phrase "You know what they say about sailors and ____" with a few words, but "battling" wasn't on my list.

Sailor Leonard here just has a high-level Shellder.

:yikes: Let's get out of here before he gets any friendlier.

:gonk:

Sailor Dylan has three apparently-identical Horseas, which we tear through in no time.

That's nice. Step away from the door.

Door number 4...

Sailor Huey has a Staryu, which gives our lightning-free team a run for its money. Mothra and Barbra are able to double-team it into submission with status effects, in the end.

You too!

Great! I can't wait for the cruise part of the cruise to start.

...Huh. This looks like it could be useful.

In the last room, Barny the man-who-fishes manages to confuse The Rock and take him out of the picture, leaving Noodle to slowly poison and constrict his Shellder to death.

Yarr!? :pirate:

It's about this time I realized I missed the chance for an extended Sailor Moon joke. Oh well.

That's "Arr! Beaten by a kid!" to you, pal. At least maintain your gimmick!

Yep, I can't wait until we set sail and I can catch one! :)

That's it for the lower deck, so we head back upstairs and this time, try the exit on the left.

It's full of chefs! :discourse: (I looked around for a berry and didn't find one...)

Something for me to hoard forever and not use!

HON HON HON :france:

True, an actual child would've been shooed out of the kitchen immediately, so this doesn't seem unreasonable.

The woes of KP.

Don't challenge Snorlax to an eating-and-sleeping contest, got it.

That was seven NPCs and not a single battle, which I think might be some kind of record. Let's head upstairs.

But in a horrifying twist, the "party" turned out to be a furry convention. That's what you get for boarding on Bill's tickets!

One more row of cabins to go...

The mighty Snorlax, I presume.

We slug our way through a couple Goldeens and Tentacools.

"You're lucky you missed it, believe me."

It's not working, old man.

Gentleman Brooks' high-level Pikachu is surprising here, but not difficult.

Uh... huh.

On the table we find something else to pawn for cash.

But remember this! CUT is an HM technique. Once learned, it is not so easily discarded.

The game's just actively taunting me about cutting trees at this point.

Unfortunately the Pokemon in question is a Tentacool. Hope you like stinging welts in your nether regions!

Is strong and rare not an option? Anyway, Gentleman Lamar has a Growlithe and...

It's so pretty! :sparkles:

Ponyta here spends the entire time harmlessly lowering my stats as I gradually chip it to death. He must be the rare one rather than the strong one.

:patriot:

(Insert joke about fursuits here.) Dawn the Lass has an unremarkable Rattata and Pikachu.

Spending a turn buffing a Pokemon's attack seems like a waste of time when so many of these fights amount to rocket tag, but maybe it's a really big buff?

These two just namedrop a future destination.

(Insert joke about proper hydration while wearing fursuits here.)

Okay! Let's see what's upstairs!

:doh:

Imagine seeing you here! Were you really invited? So how's your POKEDEX coming? I already caught 40 kinds, pal. Different kinds are everywhere. Crawl around in grassy areas and look hard for them.

Didn't Kaz get his tickets from Bill too? I'm pretty sure I don't have anywhere near 40 Pokemon at this point, although I've only missed a couple that I'm aware of.

He has a new and sassier pose, too. Kat didn't exactly bring an optimized team with her, so this might get messy.

Az incinerates the Pidgeotto in a couple rounds.

Aaaaand his Squirtle's had an upgrade. Mothra manages to zonk it with our shiny new Sleep Powder ability.

It only lasts for a couple turns at a time, but by chain-sleeping the Wartortle we're able to chip it down.

Mothra then takes a break to try and learn Supersonic, which looks like Confusion but minus the huge damage (i.e. useless.) I just drop it.

Kaz's Ratatta is also all grown up now. It manages to gnaw off half of The Rock's health in the two turns he takes to bring it down.

SUPER FOX FU MANCHU TV PSYCHIC GOOOOOOO

It takes one shot at us and misses. :flaccid:

At least you're raising your POKEMON!

Do I get a new pose anytime soon?

But he was just a seasick old man! CUT itself is really useful. Yup, it'll be handy. You should go see him, too. Smell ya!

And with that, Kaz takes off. I figure his staircase has plot behind it, so I check the last remaining passageway first.

"And being seasick!"

We emerge onto the deck, and find... sick people. Blech.

I can't help but think that the Pokemon battles might be contributing to peoples' motion sickness.

He has a Machop and Tentacool, nothing new or interesting.

I think he might be right!

Just small talk from these two...

I'll, uh... pass?

He had a Machop and Shellder. I think we're about ready to move on.

Up past where we found Kaz is the captain's cabin.

Wait, did Kaz just get done doing this?

At last!

"The last page of the book says 'by the way, you can reduce seasickness by not reading books while sailing. So long, sucker!'"

Anyway, that's everybody on the ship! Let's step off and savor solid ground for a bit before we set sail...

...They were just waiting for me to leave, weren't they?

Well, whatever. At long, long last, we have the CUT ability, which should hopefully open up a couple more paths for us. It sounds like you actually have to put this on a Pokemon (and take up a slot that would otherwise hold something useful in combat) so I should probably catch a dump 'Mon and put this on it.

Next time, we... go somewhere else, I guess? And I'll probably go back to just grabbing the screens from VBA directly, since I'm clearly too inept to record a decent video.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most likely, VBA's default encoding is what's doing that to your video. I record as avi files and either as uncompressed video or using a lossless codec (I use UTVideo, although the recommendation over in the Tech Support Fort is X264). Grab your screenshots from that, and if you want to keep the video around for whatever reason, you can convert it into something more space-efficient afterwards. Uncompressed avi files are going to be pretty huge, though, so make sure you have the space for it first. My recordings for a PSX game are frequently several gigs in size for what would cover a single update.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Trust me, you didn’t want to see where that ship was going anyway.

If I recall right it sinks mid-voyage.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
X Attacks and ttheir relatives are, indeed, kind of lacklustre...in this game. A couple of games ago they were buffed from raising a stat by one stage to raising it by two stages, which doubles the stat. Suddenly they became much more useful!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There should actually be three berries in the trash cans in the kitchen, I guess you didn't take the NPC literally enough :tbear:?

You are correct about Cut permanently (well, almost) taking up a moveslot, and that's precisely how the concept of an "HM slave" got born.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

A successful terrorist attack by Team Rocket, at that - one that leaves the characters trapped in the nightmare of being stuck in the wreckage of a ship at the bottom of the ocean.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally I would've replaced Poison Powder with Sleep Powder, but to each their own!

Chaosfeather posted:

Chronische posted:

A successful terrorist attack by Team Rocket, at that - one that leaves the characters trapped in the nightmare of being stuck in the wreckage of a ship at the bottom of the ocean.

Only in the anime continuity!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's wonderful to see this coming back. You have a great commentary style and that is far more important than having pretty pictures. Technical difficulties can be ironed out, but being able to tell an entertaining narrative via LP is a much harder hurdle to pass if you don't have that particular skill.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
Seconded. I love this LP. As a pokemon idiot who has only ever played Pokemon Go, I feel at home here.

(wishing you well on the job hunt, too!)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Personally I would've replaced Poison Powder with Sleep Powder, but to each their own!

I haven't had much luck with paralysis actually stopping enemies, whereas poison has helped some of the less powerful 'mons get experience without needing to split it with three or four others. Both skills are just sort of there though.

Simply Simon posted:

There should actually be three berries in the trash cans in the kitchen, I guess you didn't take the NPC literally enough :tbear:?

:doh:

I could've sworn I checked those, but apparently I'm an idiot.

quote:

You are correct about Cut permanently (well, almost) taking up a moveslot, and that's precisely how the concept of an "HM slave" got born.

Looks like I'll be needing some name suggestions for an HM target then!

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 18, 2019

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Paralysis does also make the opponent much, much slower even when it doesn't stop them from acting, which can be an advantage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And it increases a wild Pokemon's catch rate!

The computer does have an annoying tendency to just ignore confusion or paralysis, though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
For the HM slave Serf

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Golux posted:

Paralysis does also make the opponent much, much slower even when it doesn't stop them from acting, which can be an advantage.
Yeah, that is the true advantage of Para. You'll pretty much always go first after landing it, so a common tactic if you're underleveled for a problem target is to paralyze it with someone who can at least take a hit, and then dogpile the fucker with the rest of your team. They'll all at least get one hit in, which is great if you have a glass cannon that just kept getting killed otherwise.

Super pro tactic: Pairing Paralysis with flinching moves.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cutter Spindel if a male Pokémon, Carrie Cutter if female.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Simply Simon posted:

Super pro tactic: Pairing Paralysis with flinching moves.

Also confusion.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The other advantage that paralysis has over sleep is that paralysis doesn’t wear off over time.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

And it increases a wild Pokemon's catch rate!

However it increases it by less than putting it to sleep in Gen III, so if that's what you're after sleep is better.

The Speed effect and fact it's permanent are both full-on advantages Paralysis has over Sleep.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I guess I'm just bad at videogames. :saddowns:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Revenge!

Our cruise has deserted us. On the other hand, we can CUT things now.

But before that...

Simply Simon posted:

You can register key items to the select button so you don't have to go into the menu to use your bike. You go to the key item slot, choose the bike and then "Register". Then you can just select it with...Select.

:aaaaa:

But before that even... there's something we have to visit.

The road to Saffron City is still blocked, so it's back through the tunnel.

Back up to Cerulean...

Through the house, which still hasn't been cleaned up after the Reptites ransacked it...

...And back up to this patch of grass.

A dozen Weedles and Caterpies later, it's time for a rematch.

THAT WAS FOR ALL THE TIME I WASTED LEVELING A JIGGLYPUFF, YOU JERK!

Ah, it's basically identical to your run-of-the-mill housecat, then.

Patter Song posted:

OP, if you do catch an Abra, it's Lalah, please.

Lalah Sune, our first psychc Pokemon, reporting for duty! :patriot:

That's all for today! Time to... wait a minute.

Can... can it be?

Okay, it only takes you to the last Pokemon center you visited, but still pretty :krad:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Can... can it be?

Okay, it only takes you to the last Pokemon center you visited, but still pretty :krad:

Man, I wish Teleport and Dig were simply functions you could do automatically without blowing a move slot on them. Escape Ropes work sometimes, but other times (pretty arbitrarily) they do not. Slows everything the heck down when all you wanted was a single thing from a deep cave or wilderness area and don't have other options!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Chronische posted:

Man, I wish Teleport and Dig were simply functions you could do automatically without blowing a move slot on them.

Eh, Teleport and Dig are fine in-game moves though. Ditto Fly and Surf.

What needs to change all those other HMs (Cut, Dive, Defog, Flash, Strength, etc.) so the player doesn't feel the need to have a "slave" specifically to carry those abilities.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

I guess I'm just bad at videogames. :saddowns:

It's not your fault that you aren't aware of arcane gameplay interactions that I had to go look up on the Pokemon Wiki because I wasn't sure about. You're doing better than great for a first-timer, and there will be plenty of pokemon with the power to paralyze in the future.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
There's plenty more reliable ways to inflict Paralysis, also. Big problem with Stun Spore is how inaccurate it is when, in this generation, there's a move with the same effect that will not miss unless accuracy/evasion shenanigans are happening.

Sleep Powder I think was the right choice.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

dotchan posted:

Eh, Teleport and Dig are fine in-game moves though. Ditto Fly and Surf.

What needs to change all those other HMs (Cut, Dive, Defog, Flash, Strength, etc.) so the player doesn't feel the need to have a "slave" specifically to carry those abilities.

This is the best thing about Sun/Moon.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

This is the best thing about Sun/Moon.

But even there, gating the world so hard is kind of lame. For all it's flaws, Gold/Silver's openness once you get Surf is my jam, and I wish more of the games were less linear and more open like that!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chronische posted:

But even there, gating the world so hard is kind of lame. For all it's flaws, Gold/Silver's openness once you get Surf is my jam, and I wish more of the games were less linear and more open like that!

Pokemon historically breaks down every time it has a nonlinear section. I still remember the 8th gym leader in gold and her complete lack of anything in the area near her in level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FoolyCharged posted:

Pokemon historically breaks down every time it has a nonlinear section. I still remember the 8th gym leader in gold and her complete lack of anything in the area near her in level.

Or the leveling cliff around Mount Silver.