Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

tooterfish posted:

As far as I can tell, this mechanism is completely hidden from players. You could teleport the thing after a short delay and it'd look exactly the same from a player's perspective, inside or out?

I wonder how many man hours they've spent on this complete waste of loving time?

It's total bullshit- nothing in the game moves this smoothly, if elevators worked like this you would clip through the floor every time you traveled in them. Also, if elevators worked like this there would be no need for all of them to be totally sealed units.

Elevators are teleport boxes, end of story. This is either Citizen fantasizing or outright lying by the devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Why the hell does it spin around instead of just having doors on both sides

Oh right doors are still in progress technology in star citizen

there is no way forcing someone to code an elevator in star citizen with multiple doors wouldn't be considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:thunk:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

No idea about in-universe, but i presume the out of universe explanation is that CR finally watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Note my use of 'skyhooks'. I'm working my way up to the vicious knids.

Dwesa posted:

I am glad they are only making game(s) and not any physical structure that interacts with people or goods.

Ob. Monty Python - The Architect's Sketch;

Mr. Wiggin: This is a 12-story block combining classical neo-Georgian features with the efficiency of modern techniques. The tenants arrive here and are carried along the corridor on a conveyor belt in extreme comfort, past murals depicting Mediterranean scenes, towards the rotating knives. The last twenty feet of the corridor are heavily soundproofed. The blood pours down these chutes and the mangled flesh slurps into these...

Client 1: Excuse me.

Mr. Wiggin: Yes?

Client 1: Did you say 'knives'?

Mr. Wiggin: Rotating knives, yes.

Client 2: Do I take it that you are proposing to slaughter our tenants?

Mr. Wiggin: ...Does that not fit in with your plans?

Client 1: Not really. We asked for a simple block of flats.

Mr. Wiggin: Oh. I hadn't fully divined your attitude towards the tenants. You see I mainly design slaughter houses.

Clients: Ah.

Mr. Wiggin: Pity.

Clients: Yes.

Mr. Wiggin: (indicating points of the model) Mind you, this is a real beaut. None of your blood caked on the walls and flesh flying out of the windows incommoding the passers-by with this one. (confidentially) My life has been leading up to this.

Client 2: Yes, and well done, but we wanted an apartment block.

Mr. Wiggin: May I ask you to reconsider.

Clients: Well...

Mr. Wiggin: You wouldn't regret this. Think of the tourist trade.

Client 1: I'm sorry. We want a block of flats, not an abattoir.

Mr. Wiggin: ...I see. Well, of course, this is just the sort blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage.... You sit there on your loathsome spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist. You excrement,... you whining hypocritical toadies with your colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic secret handshakes. You wouldn't let me join, would you, you blackballing bastards. Well I wouldn't become a Freemason now if you went down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me.

Client 2: We're sorry you feel that way, but we did want a block of flats, nice though the abattoir is.

Mr. Wiggin: Oh sod the abattoir, that's not important. (He dashes forward and kneels in front of them.) But if any of you could put in a word for me I'd love to be a mason. Masonry opens doors. I'd be very quiet, I was a bit on edge just now but if I were a mason I'd sit at the back and not get in anyone's way.

big nipples big life posted:

250 million dollars
8 years of dev
no gameplay loop
theory crafting elevators in 2019

:discourse:

Agony Aunt posted:

Looks guiltily at all his Fortnite purchases

We don't punch down at the afflicted, always up at the man.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

stinch posted:

there is no way forcing someone to code an elevator in star citizen with multiple doors wouldn't be considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

Just having two doors is a risk. Double the doors doubles the lethality. Two sets of sliding doors may as well be a ramp.

You now what I really missed from Mass Effect? The quality elevator time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wait so they are going to have 1 elevator that is physically modeled as moving thru the station and so if someone else is using the elevator you have to wait until it's available to use?

They turned elevators into a train.

This is the Spinal Tap of game development "it goes to 11" moment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, instead of Roberts saying the usual "hold my beer" most will be saying "hold the door."

drat I love this dumpster fire.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Emergent gameplay of those Japanese train pushers to fit as many people in as possible per elevator

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 18, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My favourite part of flight simulator games is the realistic wait time of going thru TSA check points.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Sold. Buying an Idris too.

What you haven't got your Idris yet? :frogout:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
"We are sorry but all our elevators are in use right now. Please wait and one will become available shortly. You are number 49 in the queue."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:crobear: "What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine" :crossarms:

:crobear: "Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is)":doh:

:crobear: "Crytek... have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are":ughh:

Wall Street Journal: "The software, a so-called engine known as Lumberyard, wasn’t built for the kind of multiplayer games Amazon wanted to make":negative:

Store Citizer: wasn't built for the kind of multiplayer games that backers wanted to play

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Quavers posted:

Store Citizer

speaking of this, someone should fix the misspelling in the thread title.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Quavers posted:

Store Citizer: wasn't built

Ftfy

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Just steal the elevator design from HHGG. Book or movie, and continue riding the coattails

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Just put teleporter pads everywhere and charge people tokens to use them. And sell the tokens for cash. Problem solved.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Chris Roberts has just changed everything you thought you knew about elevators.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Popete posted:

Wait so they are going to have 1 elevator that is physically modeled as moving thru the station and so if someone else is using the elevator you have to wait until it's available to use?

They turned elevators into a train.

This is the Spinal Tap of game development "it goes to 11" moment.

Store citizen: an impossibly dense planet spanning city was built in 20 years, but you have to wait 40 minutes for an elevator.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Elevator Citizen
The spaceships are just tier 0 interplanetary elevators

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

watching people who probably have minimum 3 zeros behind the figure they spent on this game argue about elevators 5 years after it was supposed to be released is extremely :discourse:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

" This isn't a loving chocolate factory"

:lol::lol:

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Sarsapariller posted:

It's total bullshit- nothing in the game moves this smoothly, if elevators worked like this you would clip through the floor every time you traveled in them. Also, if elevators worked like this there would be no need for all of them to be totally sealed units.

Elevators are teleport boxes, end of story. This is either Citizen fantasizing or outright lying by the devs.

Case of overengineering and underdelivering, and they wonder why CI no G's needs to increase funding?
Make the drat elevator teleport, at least for now and go all fancy dancy pants post-release.

It's like putting hours of effort on a coffee cup or coffee machine... oops too late.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Star citizen monthly subscription will now give you access to a premium elevator with lower wait time and a custom interior design

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

rePool posted:

It's like putting hours of effort on a coffee cup or coffee machine... oops too late.

It was cute in 2016. Less so three years later.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

watching people who probably have minimum 3 zeros behind the figure they spent on this game argue about elevators 5 years after it was supposed to be released is extremely :discourse:

Can't wait for the NPC elevator guy giving suggestions on where to find quests when he asks "which floor".

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

grimcreaper posted:

But that means supporting Epic which is basically cancer.

I don't like EPIC at all. Tim is a douche but my son and I made school related promises, so I conceded and play with him.

Agony Aunt posted:

Looks guiltily at all his Fortnite purchases

Can't say I've spent anything on Fortnite but I did get a nifty yet free skin with my new S10. I still need to add you, I haven't been on in a while but I think it would be cool to get a game going and be Fortnite fanboys with our kids.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
This elevator system is actually based on real tech. It's a building full of Hyperloop.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Shazback posted:

Store citizen: an impossibly dense planet spanning city was built in 20 years, but you have to wait 40 minutes for an elevator.

I'm thinking 85 US dollars for a VIP elevator fast pass which allows access to the no-plebs-allowed luxury elevator with maybe a bar and a fancy-dressed elevator operator who calls you sir and announces to you what's on each level. It also undoubtedly has a toilet.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Lol I Ioooooove Star Citizen.

Honestly every week something cool happens, like you couldn't write it any better.

(can Uncle Derek come back please? I am sure he has learnt his lesson)

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 18, 2019

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Hav posted:

It was cute in 2016. Less so three years later.

I was told development didn't start until 2016.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Space sim for sale : Promised twice, never built

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Oh right doors are still in progress technology in star citizen

They realized having two sets of doors leaves the person in the dungeon dimensions.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Why is Lethality making sense?

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Neltharak posted:

Space sim for sale : Promised twice, never built

Curious if any publisher would touch the IP if that were ever a possibility or if this would sadly end up in a dumpster.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Why would you buy a bunch of promises and debt when the IP itself is worth nothing? Maybe like My.com or some lovely F2P company would pick it up since they know they can juice the whales some more but no real publisher would touch it with a 250 million foot pole.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Real question is do these new elevators come with LTI?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

At lest now with these new elevators, the elevator music of Full Burn makes more sense for the adventure you will have in them.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

You must admit, the new elevators more much more like how Chris Roberts waves his hands around while talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Why would you buy a bunch of promises and debt when the IP itself is worth nothing? Maybe like My.com or some lovely F2P company would pick it up since they know they can juice the whales some more but no real publisher would touch it with a 250 million foot pole.

Guess I want to believe there must be something of value in there if Chris was shown the door and someone came in to narrow the scope a little.