Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Should have payed more attention during his weapons qual and he might have hit something or to his MOS training and he might have learned that crossing an open area to three sides is a bad idea lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

According to a report and photos on lightfighter, his "body armor" was ineffective, cause he got center punched straight through the sternum by a handgun round.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Rat posted:

According to a report and photos on lightfighter, his "body armor" was ineffective, cause he got center punched straight through the sternum by a handgun round.

Lmfao

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it normal to remain a PFC for almost two years?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If you're just getting in, yeah. You auto promote to SPC at two years time in service, 6 months time in grade. Of course your have to also not gently caress up. So if he got chaptered out right at the two year mark, they probably blocked the auto promotion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Isn’t getting dumped after two years indicative of something? I can’t think of many people I’ve met who were in for that short minus medical poo poo

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 18, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, either something medical or he was a gently caress up. Usually. Apparently the army was offering two year contracts as of 2017 though, so that could be something as well. (From a quick Google, anyways. That definitely wasn't happening when I was in.)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Rat posted:

Yeah, either something medical or he was a gently caress up. Usually. Apparently the army was offering two year contracts as of 2017 though, so that could be something as well. (From a quick Google, anyways. That definitely wasn't happening when I was in.)

Two year contract wow. Didn’t come with a GI bill?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Rat posted:

Got a link to that thread? Their mobile site isn’t particularly easy to navigate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Rat posted:

If you're just getting in, yeah. You auto promote to SPC at two years time in service, 6 months time in grade. Of course your have to also not gently caress up. So if he got chaptered out right at the two year mark, they probably blocked the auto promotion.

The only thing I can find is that he decided the Army "wasn't for him", so he may have not made any attempt to stick around beyond the bare minimum.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Got a link to that thread? Their mobile site isn’t particularly easy to navigate.

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/ois-dallas-federal-courthouse-6-17-19

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to have an account to read it and they require administrator approval, so listing my occupation, experience, and interests as entirely "Chew bubble gum and kick rear end" jokes as I did probably won't fly.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Dude is like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I will attest that no, I did not get into the forum. My denial was actually incredibly fast!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

You'd get 2/3rds at that time and could probably make up the rest of you went into the reserves?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I need to have an account to read it and they require administrator approval, so listing my occupation, experience, and interests as entirely "Chew bubble gum and kick rear end" jokes as I did probably won't fly.

Don’t bother, at least a decade ago it was a cesspool of the terrible mindsets we all hate from the military and the groupies/grifters that chase them.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You'd get 2/3rds at that time and could probably make up the rest of you went into the reserves?

Normal weekend/AT reserve stuff doesn’t count for Post 9/11, only Title 10 AD orders for the most part. Hell, most reservists aren’t even veterans under some legal/administrative standards.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

A family friend did a 2 year pump as a navy undes seaman in the 80’s, no gi Bill. Seems to be a thing every couple decades.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flying_Crab posted:

Don’t bother, at least a decade ago it was a cesspool of the terrible mindsets we all hate from the military and the groupies/grifters that chase them.

These were about 1 minute apart.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hi dont venture to gun forums unless you want to wallow in the cesspool of america

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, lightfighter had some actual real people in addition to the typical gun forum insane right wing people. I know that at least one poster was an actual Delta guy who got arrested after he retired for getting drunk and accidentally shooting a family member.

Good story for the idiot thread: https://www.registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35292810-75/story.csp

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 18, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I liked reading the gun/gear reports there for the real world factors. The demographic has shifted a lot in the last 6 years or so though, a lot of the military types stopped posting there and it became more cop-centric. Sometimes (like in this case) there are postings about current events that I don't see elsewhere, but otherwise it's not somewhere I browse much anymore.

But yeah better to avoid any of their discussion stuff outside of the guns and gear.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Idk, I got banned probably 10 years ago for arguing with Pat Rodgers about why we shouldn’t murder all Muslims or something similar. It had some legit knowledgeable people about the military & guns, but also an incredibly toxic culture.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Flying_Crab posted:

Idk, I got banned probably 10 years ago for arguing with Pat Rodgers about why we shouldn’t murder all Muslims or something similar. It had some legit knowledgeable people about the military & guns, but also an incredibly toxic culture.

Weird how that works out

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Doodie Project is the only *good gun forum, and only because it exists to poo poo on all of those other forums

*there are no good gun forums, just ones that won’t be purged when Bernie gets elected

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah definitely not arguing there.

Side note I could never take Pat Rodgers seriously after seeing his instructional DVDs and hearing his voice. Reminded me way too much of the pedo guy from Family Guy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I heard good things about TFR.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Lmao I joined Lightfighter when I was 14 or 15 and big into airsoft, when the Lightfighter.com store first opened. That was like 2002ish. I didn't advertise either my age or my interest in airsoft, I just wanted to know what real military folks thought of gear and stuff that I wanted to buy to use in airsoft. I asked some dumb questions in a handful of threads but otherwise just lurked.

The fact that they are insisting on vetting accounts to even read the forums now is a loving joke.

Edit: oh hey sweet, somebody was mad enough at me to give me a big red title. Not even sure what threads I've posted in where being straight or white was remotely relevant but apparently I made somebody mad!

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 18, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flying_Crab posted:

Normal weekend/AT reserve stuff doesn’t count for Post 9/11, only Title 10 AD orders for the most part. Hell, most reservists aren’t even veterans under some legal/administrative standards.

Yeah that’s definitely a thing. I managed to do enough stuff that after my slated mob I’ll have 3 years of service in my first 6 year contract. However I got guys in my unit who have never done anything more than the base minimum even into their second contract.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

This poo poo is hilarious. Get wrekked idiot.

JROTC? That 's probable cause, right there.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

FrozenVent posted:

I heard good things about TFR.

It's pretty good for a gun forum TBH.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Flying_Crab posted:

in addition to the typical gun forum insane right wing people

Flying_Crab posted:

an actual Delta guy who got arrested after he retired for getting drunk and accidentally shooting a family member.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The difference is he's an insane right-winger with street cred, as opposed to a bunch of beat cop insane right-wingers whose most notable gun-related event is drawing down on unarmed black men.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 18, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dick Burglar posted:

The difference is he's an insane right-winger with street cred, as opposed to a bunch of beatmall cop insane right-wingers whose most notable gun-related event is drawing down on unarmed black menkids.

ftfy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Saving you from having to go to LEO forums:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Tho is the other dude?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Tho is the other dude?

A British SAS operator who happened to be in Nairobi training Kenyan military forces when Al-Shabaab attacked the Dusit D2 hotel. He kitted up and singlehandedly rescued a bunch of people and led at least part of the CT assault.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yup, big ol' brass balls on that one https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/17/sas-hero-nairobi-terror-attack-line-receive-george-cross/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I don’t really get the joke in that one. Would work as a “reality vs your imagination”