Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Foehammer007 posted:

Can I get eve online classic please

I'd be curious to see :ccp: make a server with EVE in it's original form just for a week or 2, so that all the people who complain about how EVE used to be better can finally shut the gently caress up when they realize how bad it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Dalael posted:

I'd be curious to see :ccp: make a server with EVE in it's original form just for a week or 2, so that all the people who complain about how EVE used to be better can finally shut the gently caress up when they realize how bad it was.

I, too, wish to land 15km off every gate and have a metric fuckton of bookmarks for every gate in every system.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TigerXtrm posted:

I, too, wish to land 15km off every gate and have a metric fuckton of bookmarks for every gate in every system.

*nods*
Still a habit I have whenever I move into a new system. I gave up with Delve after doing half of it when I realized, what is even the point of those bookmarks anymore?

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Dalael posted:

*nods*
Still a habit I have whenever I move into a new system. I gave up with Delve after doing half of it when I realized, what is even the point of those bookmarks anymore?

It took you more than 10 years to realize that?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

TigerXtrm posted:

It took you more than 10 years to realize that?

I could say that old habits try hard but the truth is, and anyone here will tell you, i'm just stupid

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
OTOH, the jukebox would be back, so that's nice

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Wibla posted:

Perfect avatar/post combo ever...

I wish I could remember which post of his inspired that :10bux:, but at the same time I'm glad I don't remember (probably).

Kimsemus posted:

OTOH, the jukebox would be back, so that's nice

In all of it's memory leaking glory?

Xolve fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 18, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rutibex posted:

The game was designed in 2003. I have to imagine moores law has made running the servers exponentially cheaper over time.

Moores Law has been dead for quite a while now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Foehammer007 posted:

Can I get eve online classic please

Remote doomsdays sounded fun. Do titans even have doomsdays' anymore?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do titans even have doomsdays' anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtjzZoAE4-M

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, and were eliminated the first *day* after our first came out of the CSAA.

EVE was always destined for entropy. This horrible state of unfun affairs would've happened even sooner if BoB had won the ~Great War~.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

They were extremely not fun

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, a nice kestrel just warped in. Oh wait, it lit a cyno. Boom, you're all dead.

Fun and engaging gameplay!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Wibla posted:

Oh, a nice kestrel just warped in. Oh wait, it lit a cyno. Boom, you're all dead.

about as fun and engaging as the current meta :v:

wanna roam around?

too loving bad -- here's a boson on a gate. :rip:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

about as fun and engaging as the current meta :v:

wanna roam around?

too loving bad -- here's a boson on a gate. :rip:

To be fair, thats pretty much the only way to kill fleets that revolve around the "uncatchable" playstyle.

Or just afk cloak as soon as they get though the gate and never have another chance to kill it for days, possibly weeks.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SugarAddict posted:

To be fair, thats pretty much the only way to kill fleets that revolve around the "uncatchable" playstyle.

it's also a way to call almost every other subcap roam

you're hammering a nail with a nuclear weapon.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

you're hammering a nail with a nuclear weapon.

And it's pretty much the only way to absolutely kill something before it has a chance to do any damage.

I lived in a wormhole on and off for a few years, once someone gets a cloakly scan alt inside your place, you will probably not have another chance to kill it for months, possibly more than a year.
That one cloaky ship isn't just one ship in practice.
For wormholes, it's just going to be there waiting for everyone to log off before they make their move and let more hostiles in or set up an ambush.
For nullsec: a covert cyno and never decloaking in anyplace other than a safe spot means you have to treat it as a a cloaky jumpbridge for hostiles.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SugarAddict posted:

And it's pretty much the only way to absolutely kill something before it has a chance to do any damage.

I lived in a wormhole on and off for a few years, once someone gets a cloakly scan alt inside your place, you will probably not have another chance to kill it for months, possibly more than a year.
That one cloaky ship isn't just one ship in practice.
For wormholes, it's just going to be there waiting for everyone to log off before they make their move and let more hostiles in or set up an ambush.
For nullsec: a covert cyno and never decloaking in anyplace other than a safe spot means you have to treat it as a a cloaky jumpbridge for hostiles.

I honestly don't see a problem with any of that kind of guerilla warfare/gameplay though.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
just remove local, congrats you've fixed the pvpve ecosystem

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, when there are 1000+ people in the same system. The fact that EVE can even pull that off is testament to the low server overhead. Back in 2003 you couldn't even buy a multi core processor, now you can get 18 cores in one. The systems are instanced so today a typical processor can run 18 systems, where in 2003 it could only do one. I'd say that's a savings.

But who knows, I'm sure it's still running on the original hardware and hasn't cost them a dime since 2003 :shrug:

They've upgraded hardware at least twice since I started playing about a decade ago. Also Capex is generally not the major fiscal constraint on running software as a service.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Wibla posted:

Wait, does this refer to doomsdays firing through a cyno bridge? Because that sounds hilarious.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TigerXtrm posted:

Wait, does this refer to doomsdays firing through a cyno bridge? Because that sounds hilarious.

That is literally how it worked. Imagine an AOE smartbomb that kills every single thing on grid unless it's a heavy tanked battleship, which can soak two or three of those at most. And only one alliance had them for a good bit. (They were the baddies.)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

TigerXtrm posted:

We won EVE by sheer organizational skill and the existence of SA that ties many people together outside of EVE. You can't nerf that. Even if other alliances had the same numbers, no other alliance in the game would be able to sustain them in the way Goons do. I love Mittani's way of putting it: "A nerf to us is an even bigger nerf to our enemies." Simply because we somehow always find a way to use the existing game mechanics to their full potential where others can't or won't. And even if some spy were to break Goonswarm apart tomorrow, we'd just rebuild instead of turning over and dying. That much has been proven like three times already, if not more.

Will we use the power of being the unbeatable force on TQ responsibly?

No... no probably not.

You realize that of the dozen or so posters posting itt, only a third to half of them are even part of the imperium right

Do you also realize that if you bring eve up in any of the goon gaming discord’s everyone will groan about either how annoying eve goons are or how much they regret playing eve when they did

SA has very little to do with why Goonswarm is still around, captain regdate

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kesper North posted:

That is literally how it worked. Imagine an AOE smartbomb that kills every single thing on grid unless it's a heavy tanked battleship, which can soak two or three of those at most. And only one alliance had them for a good bit. (They were the baddies.)

And the titan(s) firing them off were doing so from meters outside a POS shield, and would get bumped back into the shield after firing.

Oh, and don't forget "Titan Bowling," too. Another thing that was nerfed/declared an exploit very soon after the first Goon titan was deployed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You realize that of the dozen or so posters posting itt, only a third to half of them are even part of the imperium right

Do you also realize that if you bring eve up in any of the goon gaming discord’s everyone will groan about either how annoying eve goons are or how much they regret playing eve when they did

:drat:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

that guy got got

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Chaos Goons

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

:potg:

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Yeah, okay. I had that one coming.

:(

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

TigerXtrm posted:

Yeah, okay. I had that one coming.

:(

fat did you a favor

learn from this

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I am a member of the hookup site SomethingAwful(dot)com and not a member of the Imperium or play with Eve goons. I however play other games with goons like World of Warships (another game being actively driven into the ground).

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i used to be in the cfc? long time ago!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Loky11 posted:

I however play other games with goons like World of Warships (another game being actively driven into the ground).

The only good thing to come out of World of Warships are Yuro's videos :eng101:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

wafflethief posted:

i used to be in the cfc? long time ago!

wow wafflethief, really cool?

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Realistically, what happens if goons do actually take over and keep tribute, vale and beyond? will a lot of players be pushed into lowsec creating a resurgence of content in low, making the game more enjoyable? does it kill the game? does :ccp: delete goons to save the game?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's far more likely that EVE's new Korean overlords pull a "soft reset" by enabling people to literally buy wins. That didn't work before when AAA was being bankrolled (supposedly) by a literal Russian billionaire because you still had to be competent and persistent to do things. If Pearl Abyss makes "official" RMT the new way to win in strategic-level battles in EVE I could see us just loving off on general principle. GF.com server drives are/were one thing, having to buy off the developers lest your opponents do so - that's something else.

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Guess where this lollipop's going?
imagine being able to pay for external alliance infrastructure (jabber/mumble/forums/etc) with plex

would probably be bad for plex prices but reselling cheap services at a markup would be good money for them, especially when that mark up also increases the demand for plex. I hope ccp/PA doesnt read this thread.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's far more likely that EVE's new Korean overlords pull a "soft reset" by enabling people to literally buy wins. That didn't work before when AAA was being bankrolled (supposedly) by a literal Russian billionaire because you still had to be competent and persistent to do things. If Pearl Abyss makes "official" RMT the new way to win in strategic-level battles in EVE I could see us just loving off on general principle. GF.com server drives are/were one thing, having to buy off the developers lest your opponents do so - that's something else.

Hurray

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
People are too risk averse in this game and that kills content.
Look at the keepstar kills, we only deployed titans in deep structure even with superior numbers.
The poo poo kite meta too is dumb. It works so people do it and then those same people cry about no content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking as someone playing another Pearl Abyss game (Black Desert Online) The Pay 2 win is less than pre-PA Eve

Like in BDO you can buy a ton of quality of life stuff (increased bank space, increased carry weight, pets that loot the field faster) with real money and some minor combat related bonuses, mostly in the form of XP buffs. You can buy some stuff for real money and sell for in game currency but even then the game has a cap on how many of those items you can sell per week so people don't buy a ton of them to sell. Imagine if Eve had a cap on how many plex you could take out of plex storage per month?

In Eve you can start fresh and buy yourself a ton of injectors as well as expensive and powerful ships. Yeah you're not going to shift the galactic political landscape with that but straight up real money can buy you a ton of improvements on a personal level. Far stronger than anything in a PA game.