Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
terraria also has the benefit of not forcing the players through the same exact dungeon every time they do a playthrough that is also scaled to the next level of achievements, so everything takes forever.

Really, in general Terraria had a very good idea from the onset and they capitalized on that, just a generated world with some challenge stuff inside it, go nuts. I don't think their next game will take off the same way, but they certainly have the game design chops to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Zereth posted:

I want to spruce up world generation and stuff in a (now) hypothetical Terraria 2. Things can get a bit crowded with all the biomes added since launch, even without modding in new ones.

What recent mod breakthrough?

This one from a few pages back.

Rynoto posted:

For people who like playing with a lot of mods there's an experimental 64bit tmodloader. Not being limited to 4gb of ram is a huge change.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Has there been an attempt at creating a "canonical" terraria map? Basically a fixed map that wouldn't have replay value but would provide a curated vanilla experience as if the RNG had created a perfect map

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What would that consist of, in a game where you can dig in roughly any direction you want at any time?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I have no idea what a "perfect" Terraria map would consist of, since I imagine that the definition of "perfect" varies greatly from person to person.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
at least 1 of every item in the game spawns into the world, which would normally require a minimum of three pyramids

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry what's changed about Minecraft's water and lava?

Oh sorry, I could've swore they made some weird decision that blocks of water need 'source blocks' before you could collect them so you'd end up with giant pools of lava that really only had 5 blocks of lava that you could actually collect. But looking into it I seem to be mistaken.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Oh sorry, I could've swore they made some weird decision that blocks of water need 'source blocks' before you could collect them so you'd end up with giant pools of lava that really only had 5 blocks of lava that you could actually collect. But looking into it I seem to be mistaken.
Unless they changed it since I last checked, there's "Flowing" water and "Source" water, but if flowing water is adjacent to two water source blocks it turns into a water source block. Lava, meanwhile, doesn't do this, but a pool will be all source blocks during world generation. And you can pour water over "Flowing" lava to make stone, but have to use source blocks to make obsidian.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Dootman posted:

I have no idea what a "perfect" Terraria map would consist of, since I imagine that the definition of "perfect" varies greatly from person to person.

I also find it hard to say as I'm not a game designer and it's been a while since I last played, but my general experience is that human-assisted or human-curated procedural design will usually produce more enjoyable results than procedural generation alone.

That said Terraria's procedural generation is incredibly robust, to the point that within the game it never feels repetitive, and chest items, while the definitive loot at release, are mostly flavor compared to crafted/boss items after hardmode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some of the accessories are still quite valuable, though.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Arkhalis right under spawn, natural hellevator, hell chest at the very bottom with a Drax in it, spawned on the ceiling of hell so it's not one of the locked ones

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

why would you put an item you make using material from the Mechanical Bosses just sitting in a chest in Hell

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Also, drills are terrible.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Zereth posted:

why would you put an item you make using material from the Mechanical Bosses just sitting in a chest in Hell

He's referring to the mobile version, which places the drax in shadow chests.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dootman posted:

Also, drills are terrible.
Yeah the pickaxe versions are better if only because they can do things like clear cobwebs or knockback minor enemies. Used to not have a choice, the hardmode things were all drills.

Hyedum posted:

He's referring to the mobile version, which places the drax in shadow chests.
Oh, right.

That's an incredibly strange design choice

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The drill noise is also horrible to listen to over and over and over and over.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How to improve world gen:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zereth posted:

Yeah the pickaxe versions are better if only because they can do things like clear cobwebs or knockback minor enemies. Used to not have a choice, the hardmode things were all drills.

Oh, right.

That's an incredibly strange design choice

It's an even bigger sequence break in the game than the Arkhalis, and feels proportionally more amazing when you get it. I got my first Drax BEFORE I made my first armor in Terraria. Imagine the sense of power. Suddenly just being able to blow away what's in front of you when you're supposed to be mining extremely slow early game. I was playing multiplayer with my wife on our first playthrough and she couldn't believe my luck and our whole game became about the drax. Blows away enemies and pre-hardmode bosses too.

If we're thinking of maximally advantageous maps, you could also have the Jungle biome spawn an unusual amount of Chlorophyte dots to start with within the mud. Early-game endgame equipment set. And have the dungeon and Jungle Temple spawn all broken like they sometimes can, although I don't think even with access to everything it will let you spawn Golem.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 16, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I won't lie that these days, when I try for a serious playthrough, I immediately give myself a platinum pickaxe and mining clothes + potions through cheat sheet. I still love the slow zen of mining, but not quite at starter copper speeds.

TerraCustom is especially great. It's fiddly and hard to make behave at extremes, but you can generate some truly weird maps by fine-tweaking its parameters. It's how I gave myself a 12800x4800 mega world with features not normally possible, fine-tuned further with TEdit to copy and paste cool bits from other world gen anomalies.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I tried using the 64 bit loader so i could actually use the extra large world I generated but it was choppy, had screen tearing and sometimes purple bars would flicker on the screen. on top of that I hosed up installing it so now i need to figure out how to tell steam to properly run terraria as a 32 bit program.

Its my own fault but its probably best I serve as a example, be careful with the 64 bit loader.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That’s why this being the final update is pretty exciting for me, it gives mod makers more stability, so stuff like the 64 loader can have time to adapt to 1.4 and work out the kinks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Black August posted:

That’s why this being the final update is pretty exciting for me, it gives mod makers more stability, so stuff like the 64 loader can have time to adapt to 1.4 and work out the kinks.

This is definitely a plus. That said it’s also going to be the final nail in the coffin for some mods that were already on life support (spirit mod, tremors, probably half of the large content mods still in development but which haven’t received updates in a while)

Not complaining, just means I need to buckle up and actually finish hardmode for once.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
One of my very, very few quibbles with Terraria is that there really isn't a direct option to make a "world with everything in it." I know that it's a piece of piss to just create and jump into another world with the same dude, but I prefer it otherwise.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

One of my very, very few quibbles with Terraria is that there really isn't a direct option to make a "world with everything in it." I know that it's a piece of piss to just create and jump into another world with the same dude, but I prefer it otherwise.

This is the one thing left in the game that doesn't feel right. There are a lot of items where acquiring them requires scumming new maps, but doing so isn't integrated into the gameplay so it feels exploitative and grindy.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That, and if you're on mobile you can only store 6 maps maximum, so you're deleting one of your worlds if you're map scumming

Each presumably has a base, since there's only six

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't there a map generator you can use to generate a world with everything.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Terracustom solves this. It has parameters that let you spawn both crimson and corruption, and both biome chests will spawn in the dungeon as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Terracustom solves this. It has parameters that let you spawn both crimson and corruption, and both biome chests will spawn in the dungeon as well.

Noted, grazie

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I loving love Terracustom, it can also force spawn all ores, pre-drop meteors, ensure pyramids and more. But most of all the corruption+crimson setting.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is there a thread for getting a rundown on terraria modding? context: i didn't really realize terraria mods had become a thing until about an hour ago

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Probably the one on the official terraria modding forums is your best place to start. Short version is download tmodloader, replace your terraria.exe with it, and go to town.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Things have come a long, long way since Red Cloud

You can just... search for an download mods inside the game once you ahve tmodloader going, it's amazing

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Zereth posted:

Things have come a long, long way since Red Cloud

You can just... search for an download mods inside the game once you ahve tmodloader going, it's amazing

That's really cool but dang no way to sort by popularity, huh? Anyone have any favorites?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty sure you can sort by popularity/total downloads in the in-game mod browser.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oh, that button cycles through stuff. I had a total mind-blank.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Calamity Mod is really good and adds tons of stuff. Litho’s armory adds a lot of fun weapons at all stages of the game. Magic storage is pretty dope, it adds a sortable, and searchable ways to store and craft items.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

For more cheaty stuff, Auto Chests is good for making it so once you've gathered a decent amount of whatever it is you can just build a chest that'll gather more.

And LuiAFK lets you combine potions into a passive item which just adds the effect when it's in your inventory, and then combine those into ones that do multiple effects, and eventually make one super god-potion. And I think also lets you make infinite ammo out of everything in in Vanilla and a lot of stuff in mods, too.

Plus the infinite recall potion it makes lets you teleport back to where you used it from, which is very nice.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Does alchemist npc lite have the thing that lets you use potions from your piggy bank? Otherwise it’s worth suffering through the garbo meme stuff for it

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Thorium is also a very good mod that's more in line with vanilla terraria, calamity gets a bit nuts in comparison. You can also run both at the same time as calamity has a few design decisions make precisely to avoid compatibility issues, like putting the abyss on the opposite ocean from the aquatic depths.

Also fargos mutant mod gives a npc that sells boss summoning items for vanilla and a lot of mods and rewards for killing stuff like 100 king slimes at once (be wary of lag, of course), and fargos soul mod has super powerful items that require a ton of things from all over the game to be made, acting sort of like a functional completion checklist if you like that kind of stuff. It will break difficulty if you do this but i find that's half the fun sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Or break your guns if you're using sufficiently fast ones like the S.D.M.G. and suddenly it doesn't actually shoot bullets anymore, like happened to me once :v: