Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hunter Noventa posted:

I made some headway clearing stuff out of my retainer inventories and my own this week in preparation for ShB. But i have no idea what to do with the huge piles of materia i have from running EXDR over and over previously

Take them to Mutamix to sacrifice them to the RNG gods in the hopes that you'll get gatherer/crafter materia instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kwyndig posted:

Take them to Mutamix to sacrifice them to the RNG gods in the hopes that you'll get gatherer/crafter materia instead.

The nice the about crafter/gatherer materia is that it retains value really well.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Kwyndig posted:

RNG gods blessed my lucky rear end last night, I fed over 200 main stat V & VI materia to Mutamix and managed to get about 34 crafting/gathering materia from it. I was expecting a lot less.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah I don't know about HW MCH but having q cast bar in Heavensward wasn't fun at all.

HW was really harsh to casters of any sort. It was...I enjoyed the story a lot but there was a lot about the gameplay of HW I found lacking. SB def improved the gameplay a ton.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It;s really insane to me how many of the big streamers are playing ff14 now. Game is getting real popular

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramadu posted:

It;s really insane to me how many of the big streamers are playing ff14 now. Game is getting real popular

I started playing because of the Shadowborn trailer looking cool enough that it got me to try out the trial

I've seemed to get a decent amount of people that have come over from WOW recently as well, I don't play any other MMOs.

Speaking of where's that changelog that shows what is changing with jobs in the new patch?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started playing because of the Shadowborn trailer looking cool enough that it got me to try out the trial

I've seemed to get a decent amount of people that have come over from WOW recently as well, I don't play any other MMOs.

Speaking of where's that changelog that shows what is changing with jobs in the new patch?

Won't be up till the 27th iirc

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, that's another big change between FFXIV and other MMOs. Square doesn't do public test servers so aside from what they show us in Live Letters and whatnot, datamining isn't nearly as much of a thing. We'll know changes when they are live and not really much sooner beyond a very broad view of things.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
For those concerned about SB MCH on high latency, that will still be a problem in ShB. That's really the biggest thing they had to address about MCH at level 70 but they didn't.

And definitely the ammo reload animation and sound ruled, too.

merry_trootsmas
Apr 10, 2018
i was actually kinda, somehow, for some reason, enjoying playing mch pre-70, and the only reason I'm not enjoying playing it at 70 is that i can't really be good at it with my connection so I just play as other DPS classes

i was running with my own made-up rotation pre-70 because there simply aren't that many guides for pre-70 class mechanics. I actually enjoyed the clockwork rotation, with how everything would sync nicely, and the sense of impending doom of messing up one skill resulting in having to either make do with what you have or painfully wait for stuff to be aligned. And, if ACT is to be believed, i was actually doing pretty drat good.

with the connection, my DPS actually had an insane variance based on the time of day. Or sometimes, on the level - for some reason, at Syrcus Tower on the last boss, i am actually able to doubleweave without clipping and singleweave in rapid fire with minimal clipping. Something that genuinely doesnt happen anywhere else in the game, as any other class.

but even if i found the class fun as a casual scrub that can barely do snakex I am, I can also recognize that it, uh, is a class that you should only play if you live next to the server.

I kinda wish that I could enjoy these classes more without worrying about my ping - the game does boast the longest GCD time in all MMOs or so I hear, it should give ppl a bit more leeway with all these animation locks with a ping tax

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can’t figure that stuff out yet. Like as a bard which is pretty simple when am I supposed to be doing the moves that can interrupt other moves? Is there an optimal time before or after another attack completes or just mash that poo poo

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can’t figure that stuff out yet. Like as a bard which is pretty simple when am I supposed to be doing the moves that can interrupt other moves? Is there an optimal time before or after another attack completes or just mash that poo poo

I hope this turns out to be the ranged version of melee positionals, complete with the resultant tunnelvision induced floortanking.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Started playing again about a week or so ago with a friend of mine.
The original plan was wait for Shadowbringers to drop, since she wanted to play an au'ra, or whatever the dragon people are called, but she only had vanilla at the time.

Of course then, they did the "get Heavensward free!" promotion, and that let us get a head start.

We've both definitely been having a lot of fun with it. We've only made it to level 26 so far, at the part where you have to look for that missing sylph elder in the MSQ, but we're definitely both hooked in a way that we weren't the last time we played.

Of course now I'm out of town until mid-july for work, and I can feel the withdrawal setting in already.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

the_steve posted:

Started playing again about a week or so ago with a friend of mine.
The original plan was wait for Shadowbringers to drop, since she wanted to play an au'ra, or whatever the dragon people are called, but she only had vanilla at the time.

Of course then, they did the "get Heavensward free!" promotion, and that let us get a head start.

You get a free Fantasia potion at the end of the lvl 50 storyline, so she can just change to Au Ra then.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think they mean their friend was waiting to start playing at all, maybe?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Have any of the media tour people given an indication of what the chance is for DNC to gain esprit on any given attack? I’m estimating 20-25 percent from what I’ve seen but if there’s an actual number that would be cool to know.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

kojei posted:

Have any of the media tour people given an indication of what the chance is for DNC to gain esprit on any given attack? I’m estimating 20-25 percent from what I’ve seen but if there’s an actual number that would be cool to know.
Do we ever get official numbers for stuff like that? Pretty sure there isn't anything comparable ever put out for RDM for example.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

kojei posted:

I’m not totally sure on the DNC itself number but folks were reporting that esprit generation had some kind of normalization between the various other jobs as your dance partner. Meaning, that a DRG for example, had a much higher of generating the DNC esprit on each attack they made compared to say a Ninja. This at least means you can closed position whoever would benefit the most from your buffs at any given time without needing to worry about it too negatively impacting your own damage.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
The rdm tooltips give explicit values for verstone/fire proc probabilities, if that's what you mean.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

The rdm tooltips give explicit values for verstone/fire proc probabilities, if that's what you mean.
Oh yeah, don't know why I thought otherwise when I specifically remember the 20%/100% chances for holy/flare Mana balancing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Any tips on the level 60 Scholar quest? It's not very fun to click on everyone to ensuna to make sure they don't get mutated and heal them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azubah posted:

Any tips on the level 60 Scholar quest? It's not very fun to click on everyone to ensuna to make sure they don't get mutated and heal them.

Ignore it, get to level 62, gear yourself up, and then brute force it. I normally wouldn't recommend this for most jobs, but Dissipation is so utterly niche in its uses that you'll barely even notice it's not on your hotbar.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dissipation is for when you run out of aetherflow and you’re in the last 5% of a raid boss, so you have her hit all her buffs and then put two in the back of her head for more energy drains.

Every time I’ve done it for emergency healing output was a wipe anyway, it’s just usually not strong enough to save it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Scholar has mediocre/bad GCD healing, and the healing buff only works on weaponskills so better hope lustrate/indom/excog isn't on cooldown or else you didn't get much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Dissipation is for when you run out of aetherflow and you’re in the last 5% of a raid boss, so you have her hit all her buffs and then put two in the back of her head for more energy drains.

Every time I’ve done it for emergency healing output was a wipe anyway, it’s just usually not strong enough to save it.

It's genuinely weird that they didn't change it for ShB. I don't think even the most honest healers out there like it, because it rips away one of the main aesthetic/gameplay draws of the class (cute fairy pet who helps you to heal) in exchange for more healing than you'll probably ever need.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dissipation has a small change I believe in that your fairy now automatically returns when the effect ends. It still seems strange with scholar losing Energy Drain or good ways to "dump" aetherflow stacks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it always felt weird to me that dissipate gives you more ogcds but boosts gcds. i guess it makes sense on paper as a big red emergency button for stacking shield-heals and heal-heals together but it doesn't feel good for that in practice.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Magil Zeal posted:

Dissipation has a small change I believe in that your fairy now automatically returns when the effect ends. It still seems strange with scholar losing Energy Drain or good ways to "dump" aetherflow stacks.

Yep, the fairy comes back instantly and for free when the buff wears off. Another thing worth mentioning is that Embrace got its potency nerfed, so that is another small increase in value on using Dissipation. Overall Dissipation should be a button that'll see more usage in ShB.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CYBEReris posted:

it always felt weird to me that dissipate gives you more ogcds but boosts gcds. i guess it makes sense on paper as a big red emergency button for stacking shield-heals and heal-heals together but it doesn't feel good for that in practice.

The main issue with it is raid healing is a plan, and if the plan goes wrong everyone is already dead, pretty much. If you need more healing, it’s because your throughput healer is out of commission, and dissipate isn’t strong enough to carry that for very long, plus you’ll be burning resources you’ll have planned for needing later, so you’re still going to wipe, just when you get to that point instead of now.

If you need to dissipate in a 5 man leave that group because :stonk:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The dirty secret about MCH is that it's rotation is actually the exact same 38-70, you just add in the OGCDs when you learn them and when you get heat you kinda just ignore it until 62. If you get synced under 38 you have no wildfire and can just kinda do whatever. Other than that the same 60 second cycle exists. For the sake of covering all bases there's also this weird stretch 62-70 where you use heat to sub in Cooldowns for Split Shots, which isn't a thing you do at 70 anymore unless you gently caress up your Wildfire prep.

MCH is cool and good at every level, sorry your taste in jobs sucks.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Hra Mormo posted:

The dirty secret about MCH is that it's rotation is actually the exact same 38-70, you just add in the OGCDs when you learn them and when you get heat you kinda just ignore it until 62. If you get synced under 38 you have no wildfire and can just kinda do whatever. Other than that the same 60 second cycle exists. For the sake of covering all bases there's also this weird stretch 62-70 where you use heat to sub in Cooldowns for Split Shots, which isn't a thing you do at 70 anymore unless you gently caress up your Wildfire prep.

MCH is cool and good at every level, sorry your taste in jobs sucks.

The problem is heat doesn't do anything for you in those levels. And if you wanted to overheat to get the small damage increase in your wildfire window, it sucks to do.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
MCH is bad, add a repair all button, add a glamour dresser housing item, cleanse Eureka with nuclear fire. It has been decreed!!

(Sorry to people who like MCH, it's just easily one of my least favorite classes to play, even the old HW version)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

maybe I can get mch to 70 before thursday

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The main issue with it is raid healing is a plan

The other issue is that if in order to meet healing checks, you end up NEEDING (as in, hard needing no way to do it without at all regardless of player skill) then suddenly that fight straight up requires SCH because SCH is already orders of magnitude stronger than the other healers in terms of healing.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
As someone who actually likes MCH now I'm still really excited for the rework because it doubles down on the stuff that I like (rad heated shots all the time, great aesthetic, even more cool gadgets) and removes the stuff I didn't (not being able to proc wildfire early, shot rng when your ammo is down, gauss barrel)

I'm more worried about DRK because it's gonna be so weird without Dark Arts. I really like spamming Dark Arts even if it hurts my hand and I'm going to be upset if the job slows down significantly

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They go back and add weapons for the new jobs in older content right? I can't wait to see all the gunblades and throwing weapons(do the dancer weapons have names? I think we've only seen the one shown off) they add to al the old trials and stuff.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Old trials and tome gear is likely. Rest is unsure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I have a feeling they won't put in anything below level 60, just for sanity's sake and the fact that the new jobs start there.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Rhonne posted:

They go back and add weapons for the new jobs in older content right? I can't wait to see all the gunblades and throwing weapons(do the dancer weapons have names? I think we've only seen the one shown off) they add to al the old trials and stuff.

Kwyndig posted:

I have a feeling they won't put in anything below level 60, just for sanity's sake and the fact that the new jobs start there.

Same. Would also expect crafted & dungeon weapons in the 60-70 range, since that'd mirror what they did for RDM and SAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This is the first time ARR primals would be excluded under those rules however, and that's a lot of potential glamour lost. I don't know if they will add Dancer/Gunbreaker weapons to those primals, but it's something that they didn't have to deal with for RDM/SAM since those started at 50.