Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wengy is the type of person that would walk through Berlin while dismissively asking himself why the graffiti is not being "cleaned up" (just like my grandmother)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Tbf there is some decent Nachkriegsmoderne. But a bunch of German cities are just not aesthetically pleasing. Hey, we have that too (in certain parts of Basel you’d think the allies bombed us into oblivion as well), and like the Germans, we only have ourselves to blame for the ugliness that surrounds us.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alexanderplatz: prettiest square in the world imo

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Graffiti doesn’t bother me at all, but I have to say, my heart bleeds whenever I’m in Berlin. The old Belle-Alliance-Platz, the old Alexanderplatz, the old Leipziger Straße... it’s all been ruined sadly.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

oliwan posted:

Alexanderplatz: prettiest square in the world imo

Don’t troll m8

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
the prettiest square is wengy himself <3

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Lmao

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Here’s some cool Moderne , courtesy of Switzerland
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Rudolf_Salvisberg

But seriously peak Berlin is around 1900 imho

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I have no idea what the gently caress y'all are talking about.

There's only one respectable architect in the entire loving world and i can't wait until his visions swallow the planet and low earth orbit:

Tsutomu Nihei

If your city doesn't look like this, what kind of waste of everything are you even committing?

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/Sojajunge/status/1140906284709011456

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 18, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zwille posted:

Hey, the July issue of Mein Schöner Garten has stuff on chilis!

Ah, I see the Chefredakteur of Mein Schöner Garten also thought Duzzy's chili updates last year were great.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

As if anyone with a garden would read this. These people post in manager-magazin.de and ft.com comment sections.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Zwille posted:

Hey, the July issue of Mein Schöner Garten has stuff on chilis!

Those are some pretty plants.

Sereri posted:

As if anyone with a garden would read this. These people post in manager-magazin.de and ft.com comment sections.
:colbert:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That looks like a Schrebergarten :goofy:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Also quite nice.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gardens are cheap aufm Lande. Will get even cheaper when it’s all completely entvölkert in a few decades.

I’ve given up trying to buy up my parents house - inkl. Gülleduft, weil es halt billig sein musste, aber mit süßem Garten - to save us the interest on the loan. My mom won’t let me. „We’re Bad with money. If you gave us some, we would just waste it.“

Nobody lives there, which ... some see as a downside. Ok, but it has ticks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's my parents' garden in Stralsund, like 5-10 minutes of biking distance from their apartment.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3020218,13.0784329,160m/data=!3m1!1e3

I help them a lot there and it's a quite good garden, solid house with 2 rooms, bathroom, kitchen. Also, happy little visitors:

https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1027317342815088640

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

This is peak german:

Dude on twitter zweifelt an police violence at pride in the dumbest and dishonest way, and when called on his poo poo complains about being Duzt.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/arnoxcao/status/1140957470501822465?s=19

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My dad got a Wildkamera and is going full Stasi on his garden. The camera's sensor is so sensitive that it picks up Hummeln, it's kinda cool. That's how he found out that there's a Hummelbau in a random hole in the garden. It's cool as gently caress. Igel, random birds, these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCO8O_mIsU :kimchi:

Simply Simon posted:

Fuckin lmao

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

My dad got a Wildkamera and is going full Stasi on his garden. The camera's sensor is so sensitive that it picks up Hummeln, it's kinda cool. That's how he found out that there's a Hummelbau in a random hole in the garden. It's cool as gently caress. Igel, random birds, these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCO8O_mIsU :kimchi:

:3:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dig through his garbage, Bild. I know you want too. Maybe nibble on it an tell us how it tastes.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Great interview

https://www.republik.ch/2019/06/18/nerds-retten-die-welt

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Guck mal, Cingulate, ein nützlicher Humanist

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Sorry to revive an old discussion, but I was very surprised by the dunking on Wengy for his complaining about his remuneration and working conditions, plus the whole tangent about cashiers.

From what I infer, this thread is full of left-wing people. I am left-wing as well.
The traditional left-wing position is, in my understanding, that researchers and academics need to be supported, and that the current state of affairs of precarious employment and applying for project after project after project for financing short-term research is not desirable.

It serves neither the purpose of good research (basic research, which can be immensely fruitful, is ignored. Popular topics are chosen, weird topics are ignored. Diversity of research is stymied), nor of "rewarding" "smart" people, nor of supporting education/research as an end in itself (in which case you finance it with no questions asked).

I know quite some academics, and I think that Wengy's complaints are legitimate. They are highly specialized people who bring an important contribution which can only be made by smart and/or motivated people, and the life is harder than if they had chosen a regular job with less advancement of the society. The comparison with an unqualified job is ok. What do you compare against to say that the conditions of your highly-specialized work are not good enough? It is of course not a personal attack on people who exercise that profession or diminishing their worth. If you work as a waiter, you just earn less, you aren't worth less (or more) as a person.

Instead, what I see is that people focus on superficial things ("you are being classist towards cashiers!"). Finding issues with how people formulate things seems to have become paramount, while the actual social issue falls into the background, and people fight between them and cannot form common fronts because any small pretext is good to be divisive (something typical of id politics).

Yes, I know that this is a Nordsee

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Schön und gut, mein Herr, aber wir servieren draußen trotzdem nur Kännchen. :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Sorry to revive an old discussion, but I was very surprised by the dunking on Wengy for his complaining about his remuneration and working conditions, plus the whole tangent about cashiers.

From what I infer, this thread is full of left-wing people. I am left-wing as well.
The traditional left-wing position is, in my understanding, that researchers and academics need to be supported, and that the current state of affairs of precarious employment and applying for project after project after project for financing short-term research is not desirable.

It serves neither the purpose of good research (basic research, which can be immensely fruitful, is ignored. Popular topics are chosen, weird topics are ignored. Diversity of research is stymied), nor of "rewarding" "smart" people, nor of supporting education/research as an end in itself (in which case you finance it with no questions asked).

I know quite some academics, and I think that Wengy's complaints are legitimate. They are highly specialized people who bring an important contribution which can only be made by smart and/or motivated people, and the life is harder than if they had chosen a regular job with less advancement of the society. The comparison with an unqualified job is ok. What do you compare against to say that the conditions of your highly-specialized work are not good enough? It is of course not a personal attack on people who exercise that profession or diminishing their worth. If you work as a waiter, you just earn less, you aren't worth less (or more) as a person.

Instead, what I see is that people focus on superficial things ("you are being classist towards cashiers!"). Finding issues with how people formulate things seems to have become paramount, while the actual social issue falls into the background, and people fight between them and cannot form common fronts because any small pretext is good to be divisive (something typical of id politics).

Yes, I know that this is a Nordsee

But have you considered that while all of the things you mentioned are legitimate complaints it's much easier to hate on someone slightly higher up the wage slave ladder than focusing our hate on the actual owners of capital?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

(something typical of id politics).

Literally lolled at this zinger at the end

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

oliwan posted:

Literally lolled at this zinger at the end

It is, however, true of leftists that are bad at leftism.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Simply Simon posted:

Guck mal, Cingulate, ein nützlicher Humanist
Come on, I am so devoted to the overall project of the humanities that I spend 10 years of my life on literally becoming a promovierter Geisteswissenschaftler. I do however think centering the usefulness of the humanities 1. enters them into a very unfavourable comparison, 2. offers up their soul by considering what can only be an end in itself as a means to an end.
It's like if you're ranking a parent's love to their child on how much it contributes to the GDP. Should parents love their children considering its impact on general welfare, is it justified in terms of future earnings? Perhaps not, but asking the question means you've completely missed the point.

If "identity politics" was a programme aimed at furthering the interests of cashiers and construction workers, I'd probably be for it. As it is, much of it is engaged in the opposite: furthering the interests of other groups, such as the highly educated, over these of cashiers and construction workers.
People smart enough to get PhDs will probably be fine in the future. They should not be our prime concern. Cashiers are replaced with robots as we are speaking, by people like me and the other well-compensated computer touchers ITT.

But you're re-heating one of the few discussions where we're actually largely united.
Wengy himself agreed that the specific phrase Oliwan and I took offence with was ill chosen. We were also all mostly in agreement the question is more about job security than salary ranks.

If you do want to talk about the pay scale, first, maybe re-read what I posted about academics' salaries; PhDs and Postdocs in academia are underpaid compared to those who move to industry - a move always open to them - but nevertheless make decent lower middle class, middle class salaries. If you want to raise their salaries, you must answer the question: how? And any answer you could come up with, my first response would be, why not put that money somewhere else: why not give it to cashiers and construction workers instead? Are they less in need, less deserving?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It’s like you haven’t read a single one of my posts, impressive. I’m not going into the whole humanities vs. whatever debate again because it’s just incredibly tiresome and you’re never going to give up your 50s-style Staigerian view of literature anyway. Anyone who’s interested in this crap can just read the posts Cingulate and I exchanged a year ago.

And most importantly: I apologized for singling out a specific profession in my phrasing, but I most definitely did and do complain about the actual size of compensation, which is poo poo, you know. I never meant to denigrate cashiers, but I’m quite ok with earning more than them and if I don’t, something has gone wrong during my years of training (I’m not excluding the possibility that I might also be at least partly to blame for my situation, of course). I even mentioned my exact base salary to point out that it’s most decidedly not at decent middle class levels, you disingenuous robot!

And the road to “industry” is not open to all scientist, nor is it a particularly desirable one. I would like to teach at a Gymnasium, not caress computers.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cingulate, you have this incredibly weird idea of everything being the platonic ideal of itself. The humanities can be both "an end in itself" (whatever that means exactly) and furthering society as a whole. And this does not need to have anything to do with money, I have no idea why you instantly jump to the GDP comparison and putting a monetary value on the love towards your children, what the hell. Do you not think journalists are useful, in fact vitally important for a democratic open society to function? Statisticians, history teachers, psychologists? The worth, the value of those professions are not able to be measured in money, and yet they are incredibly important to exist. Or did these people not study "in the humanities"? Do they not fufil your criteria of "if it's not huffing your own farts 24/7, it's not trve humanities"?

And what about the platonic ideal of "the cashier" which we're so fixated on (no thanks to you)? Does a person have to be a cashier for life? Should they be stuck in the "lower class" forever, should we not instead aim to abolish that class altogether by, say, widespread education?

And finally, in the absurd economy we live in, money distribution is not a Nullsummenspiel. We can tax the rich and take on more debt and put that money in a variety of things at once. We can make both an academic career more worthwhile and fundamental research more attractive and productive AND better the lives of The Poor.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Wengy, I love you (with or without balconies), but can you stop loving answering to Oliwan and probably Cingulate also.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mano posted:

Wengy, I love you (with or without balconies), but can you stop loving answering to Oliwan and probably Cingulate also.

Mano (?) has spoken.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

But I like their nuclear takes :(

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Simply Simon posted:

Do they not fufil your criteria of "if it's not huffing your own farts 24/7, it's not trve humanities"?

Thinking about combining corpse paint and corduroy jackets with leather elbow patches for that grim trve frostbitten hvmanities look and laughing my rear end off

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Trve norsk arysk Geisteswissenschaften

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Thinking about combining corpse paint and corduroy jackets with leather elbow patches for that grim trve frostbitten hvmanities look and laughing my rear end off
Those nail studded forearm bracelets except with pencils

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The discussion about academic salaries is valid if you consider lifetime income. The two important elements are first risk, and second advancement opportunities. In contrast, how the exact amount of yearly income compares to a cashier is almost unimportant.

Risk is important because academic contracts are almost always temporary. Combined with this is the absolutely hosed way the pension system works for these people. It is just not a good career choice right now to be simply a researcher, as there are preciously little positions where you can just do your work for many years - for 30k,40k,50k or whatever it is - and get the same security and future pension income as a regular worker.

The system then also is very limited in advancing your salary. And since Beamte as non-prof researchers basically don't exist anymore, the only option is to become a Prof, which is unlikely for most researchers. I know plenty of people who make useful contributions, but are stuck in limited-time Post-Doc positions, or in positions that have no appreciable opportunity to advance naturally.
And salary advancement is required since you forgo a ton of income by working post-PhD for little money. By the time you pay into any pension system, you are lucky to get out 300€ per month of pension even if your job were secure until 67.

So if we value research and teaching as a society, and we do not want to make actual jobs, then yes the salaries must be higher than they are now to compensate for the lower lifetime income.

That being said, I simply do not understand why 90% of universities here do not have a "Lecturer" position, which offers the opportunity to teach, research and advance in salary as a unlimited-time contract. These people are clearly required, and while having temps do that work is cheaper, it makes for lovely incentives and misery.
In Germany, the system mandates that either you make it as a Prof, or you get discarded after 6-10 years from academia. Since appointments for Prof positions are full of nepotism and the system is overall terrible, it is really hard to justify this even with Bestenauslese.

The other option is to move away from academia as a thing society desires, to making it a business. Get rid of humanities and other "useless" fields, get money exclusively from industry grants or tuition, focus on applied research. Basically, make everything a business school. Who wants that?

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 19, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

caps on caps on caps posted:

The other option is to move away from academia as a thing society desires, to making it a business. Get rid of humanities and other "useless" fields, get money exclusively from industry grants or tuition, focus on applied research. Basically, make everything a business school. Who wants that?

Christian Lindner just got a boner and doesn't quite know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I do have one of these “lecturer”’positions, just be aware that if German universities ever introduce them they’ll gently caress people on Pensum/salary, and they’ll be so grateful to get an unbefristeter job they’ll accept anyway. I know I did!