Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brawnfire posted:

That's just the part you can see. Livingston's aquarium branches throughout the ship.

It’s Picard’s secret hookup to cetacean ops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

skasion posted:

Jellico dismisses Riker because he thinks that Riker is unambitious, complacent. In the first conversation they have, he comments on Riker’s good but not brilliant place in the Academy, and makes reference to the fact that Riker has turned down a command of his own to remain in his present post. Their confrontation in part 2 reveals that there’s also just a total clash of personalities between the two — Riker is a much more casual person who will never be comfortable with Jellico’s formality and rigidity — which was already evident in the fact that Riker failed to accomplish the first order Jellico gave him, the shift change, instead bringing it back to Jellico with excuses for his failure. I think this confirms Jellico’s initial impression of Riker, which is that he’s temperamentally unfit for purpose.

Yeah, I just think the entire conflict is really uncharacteristic of both Riker and Jellico. Riker, despite his discomfort with Jellico's command style, should have had no issue as a Starfleet officer in carrying out the order to change the shift schedule; likewise Jellico, as an experienced captain who is intensely interested in effectively utilizing the skills of his crew, should have had no issue in recognizing Riker's strengths in the short-term and getting over their command differences during a time of crisis.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

I'm drunk and watched TNG Chain of Command recently for the first time in about 15 years, so imma do a retrospective on Captain Edward Jellico.

Jellico's fine. The character was interesting and was so, so close to being much more interesting than the "wtf this isn't our bald british guy! he's bad!" that most people interpreted him to be.

This is an extremely good post which I 100% agree with but for some reason I can't help but find it extremely funny given Styles is your avatar. Not a comment on you, just a great happenstance.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

skasion posted:

It’s Picard’s secret hookup to cetacean ops

"Whisper this warning to the dolphins, Livingston" says Picard, quietly. "The ship has been taken over. K-k-kreaak-k and her comrades are our only hope.". With a swish of its tail, Livingston departs to deliver his message of dire import.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Orv posted:

This is an extremely good post which I 100% agree with but for some reason I can't help but find it extremely funny given Styles is your avatar. Not a comment on you, just a great happenstance.

Look whatever man, Styles is just misunderstood. Await my epic redemption of his character (the next time I'm drunk) :v:

Edit: and if whoever made this amazing avatar is listening, I'd love a higher-res version that fits better with the current version of the SA forum software. I think I've had this for like 8 years now.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I've probably said this before in the thread but Jellico's best feat was putting Troi in a standard uniform.

Hell yes. Even ignoring how much more sense it makes from a character perspective, the bridge looks so much better with at least one character in the standard blue uniform. It just looks like ketchup and mustard in the first five seasons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we need a Star Trek version of the Pet Avengers.

Livingstone, Spot, Porthos, Sisko's baseball, and Janeway's coffee mug

and of course, the most iconic pet companion of TOS, Pavel Chekov

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jellico's negotiation strategy is basically alpha dog bullshit and he only saves Picard because he gets lucky.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

He also got rid of the fish in Picard's ready room too, didn't he? I always thought it was really hosed up putting such a big fish in such a tiny enclosure.

Stewart agreed and hated having it there.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

"Whisper this warning to the dolphins, Livingston" says Picard, quietly. "The ship has been taken over. K-k-kreaak-k and her comrades are our only hope.". With a swish of its tail, Livingston departs to deliver his message of dire import.
And then one day, Jellico arrives on the ship. "Ah Livingston, my old nemesis."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Jellico's negotiation strategy is basically alpha dog bullshit and he only saves Picard because he gets lucky.

Drone posted:

Jellico's solution is novel and, at the risk of displaying my cultural bias, extremely reminiscent of 20th century American realpolitik.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

alpha dog bullshit

Drone posted:

20th century American realpolitik

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Naomi Wildman is probably the most successful child character in the franchise. Her rapid aging aside, the fact that her actress is actually not just passable, but good, her enthusiasm being realistic, and her not being treated as a prodigy just because (she's smart and talented but you get the sense she's earned it), and her reacting like an actual child would to certain situations is what ultimately sells her.

The bit where she thinks simply talking to Seven got her assimilated is both hilarious and instantly endearing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

Look whatever man, Styles is just misunderstood. Await my epic redemption of his character (the next time I'm drunk) :v:

Edit: and if whoever made this amazing avatar is listening, I'd love a higher-res version that fits better with the current version of the SA forum software. I think I've had this for like 8 years now.

(I swear this is the last time but) Styles actually shows up in Best TOS Novel Prime Directive where Scotty finally gets to break his stick, it's great. He is... not, but I can hear his voice in my head whenever I read it so that actor did a tremendous job with his five lines.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was always a little surprised a swagger stick was considered acceptable for a Starfleet captain. Imagine Picard with one, or Sisko. (You're picturing Janeway holding one, aren't you, pervo?) It's so bizarre.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Orv posted:

(I swear this is the last time but) Styles actually shows up in Best TOS Novel Prime Directive where Scotty finally gets to break his stick, it's great. He is... not, but I can hear his voice in my head whenever I read it so that actor did a tremendous job with his five lines.

Third best line of Star Trek III (after "I. Have had. Enough. Of. Youuuuu" and "Don't call me tiny") is "Incredible machine."

Edit: Star Trek III is the movie that is least deserving of the old stigma of odd-numbered Trek movies being bad, fite me

I need to get back on my little project of reading and reviewing all the old lovely TOS novels, I'm still stuck in the late-seventies and it's a fuckng slooooog.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

I was always a little surprised a swagger stick was considered acceptable for a Starfleet captain. Imagine Picard with one, or Sisko. (You're picturing Janeway holding one, aren't you, pervo?) It's so bizarre.

Janeway can't hold a cane, her hands are too busy being on her hips or holding a coffee mug

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

Third best line of Star Trek III (after "I. Have had. Enough. Of. Youuuuu" and "Don't call me tiny") is "Incredible machine."

Edit: Star Trek III is the movie that is least deserving of the old stigma of odd-numbered Trek movies being bad, fite me

Search for Spock is good though?

Now if you wanna have a chat about The Final Frontier I will go to, through and beyond the mat.

E: Unrelated, is there some weird licensing thing (paging Timby) that's preventing all of the Star Trek having places from carrying 4 and 6?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Orv posted:

Search for Spock is good though?

Literally saying this, yes.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

And then one day, Jellico arrives on the ship. "Ah Livingston, my old nemesis."

Jellico: From hell's heart, I stab at thee

*fumbles around the aquarium's edges*

Jellico: How the gently caress do you open this thing

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Jellico: From hell's heart, I stab at thee

*fumbles around the aquarium's edges*

Jellico: How the gently caress do you open this thing

Computer, beam the fish into space

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

Oh okay now we're fighting.

:v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drone posted:

I agree, the 2-3-4 trilogy is good. 3 gives us the best Starfleet ship and makes Klingons into Klingons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

He also got rid of the fish in Picard's ready room too, didn't he? I always thought it was really hosed up putting such a big fish in such a tiny enclosure.

Some fish will stress themselves to death in too large an enclosure. Betta are a good example.

I don't think they ever said what species Picard's fish was supposed to be but just assume it is a Denobulan Fartfish and that's how they roll

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grand Fromage posted:

3 gives us the best Starfleet ship

This is a post full of good opinions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drone posted:

This is a post full of good opinions.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The scene in 3 where Kirk steals the Enterprise is more suspenseful than anything in any JJ Trek, and a drat amazing action scene despite the fact that it's just a couple of ships slowly floating around a mostly empty space dock. What a great scene, probably the highlight of the movie.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Excelsior looks like a bitchy soccer mom who let herself go.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

The Excelsior looks like a bitchy soccer mom who let herself go.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The scene in 3 where Kirk steals the Enterprise is more suspenseful than anything in any JJ Trek, and a drat amazing action scene despite the fact that it's just a couple of ships slowly floating around a mostly empty space dock. What a great scene, probably the highlight of the movie.

The music seriously helps this.

Treks 1-6 had some fantastic music. If you ignore 5.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I perceive ST3 as always having been the least-disliked of the odd-numbered Treks. At least back in the day before TMP was kind of reassessed.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

III is great, it just looks a little worse than II and the tension and villain are kind of a come-down in comparison to it. But it's got so much god drat heart and so many memorable scenes.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

So true. The music in the Mutara Neblua battle sequence is my all time favorite Trek score.

Back when movie soundtracks complemented what was happening on screen, and not just some canned harmonic progression that vaguely matches the desired emotion of the scene.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 19, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

What the gently caress, dude, 5 has excellent music.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

Jellico's fine.

lol reassigning what, a third of engineering to security, is just bonkers.

you're getting ready for war. you've got a boatload of blueshirts that aren't doing anything else. throw 'em in the target range and hand out phasers to them.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drone posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hate the Excelsior, with its ugly nacelles and stupid slack-jawed deflector. It looks like a whale opening it’s gaping maw to fish for krill.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate the Excelsior, with its ugly nacelles and stupid slack-jawed deflector. It looks like a whale opening it’s gaping maw to fish for krill.

It's a majestic creature.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

My best guess is that they saw Disney doing it with Star Wars, and figured it was time to blow the dust off their own space fantasy franchise again.

Na it isn't Star Wars, especially not the newest iteration. The real reason is that genre shows on TV have conquered the world. Think what you will about GoT for example but it managed to enter the realm of popculture popularity. I mean there is a reason why pretty much any decent fantasy and SciFi series gets picked up nowadays and turned into a TV series.
After Enterprise a lot of people thought (and wrote) that SciFi (and Fantasy) will never gain mass audience appeal in the TV of "today" again and that there might not be a place for it with just a niche audience. That's afterall why people were also very sceptical about the mentioned GoT and to be honest, it's not like it started with super crazy numbers. It was certainly a success from the beginning but the super wide appeal had to develop which goes to show that the "problem" was never the genre. A mediocre and maybe just a "good" TV show might be limited to only a niche audience but there is now proof that the genre doesn't limit how popular you can get, if anything I think escapist narratives (which both SciFi and Fantasy can provide) have inherently the potential of a mass audience appeal.
In that context... if any movie franchise is a factor in that discussion then it's the whole Marvel universe because Super Hero movies used to be even more niche than SciFi/Fantasy and yet it became the most successful movie franchise while Star Wars is mainly coasting on its name at this point. Sadly the same is true for ST when it comes to movies and so far also in the TV realm. I really hope ST: Picard has a story to tell and its own identity but it also can't be disputed that they are banking on pure brand (name) recognition once again with the move to bring Picard back.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
If we're going to argue about ships, I have to say that the constitution refit is still like the best of them all, though I certainly wouldn't kick the excelsior out of the spacedock :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Search for Spock was the first Star Trek movie I saw, of course I loved it.

The only truly bad one is Nemesis. All the others have something redeemable about them that makes them rewatchable.