Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Freaking Crumbum posted:

have you never played any of the other action RPG games that have becomes massively popular (a la souls games)?
dark souls, famously known for its jump button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

tbh I was so used to jump buttons in so many games that when Wind Waker came out I went into the thread about it here in SA and asked why the gently caress I couldn't jump across some lava area or something that I was supposed to obviously do because I must have been getting the timing wrong with the buttons and was so frustrated that I was asking for help and somebody said "Jump button? You are aware that you are playing a Zelda game, right?" and it dawned upon me that I just had to move forward because there was no actual jump button in the game :v:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Blaziken386 posted:

dark souls, famously known for blocking and parrying and dodging, mechanics that map almost perfectly 1:1 onto the botw control scheme.

also the souls games all allow you to jump so i'm not even sure what your point is here (other than being smug)

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll answer these questions for myself.

if you're the streamer in the clip i remain incredulous that someone could make it to the point of progress depicted without even accidentally discovering basic game mechanics.

edit: to me it's just as implausible as if you had said, after 20 hours of play time "YOU HAVE TO EQUIP YOUR WEAPONS TO USE THEM?!"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

video game control schemes never really make sense and once you hold some assumptions about how a game works you tend to not press buttons at random to see what happens anymore, this stuff isn't exactly far-fetched

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

a cartoon duck posted:

video game control schemes never really make sense and once you hold some assumptions about how a game works you tend to not press buttons at random to see what happens anymore

don't you? if my first move isn't finding the button configuration settings in a game, it's pressing every button / combination of buttons to figure out what does what. is that not a thing people tend to do any more in the age of unskippable tutorials?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i know steamers have to ham-up their persona for the donations, but i felt like her reaction in that video was 100% fake / forced. especially when she got to "YoU CaN BaCkFliP?!?!" while staring directly into her camera.

how have you made it (supposedly) that far and never done either a side-step or backflip, even by accident? are you playing the entire game without locking on to anything? have you never played a zelda game after LttP? have you never played any of the other action RPG games that have becomes massively popular (a la souls games)?

Nah you never have to do those moves to get as far as she got.

You need to lock on, jump and move in a specific direction. Unless you're deliberately trying to dodge or flip it would be easy not to accidentally do it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Try Jumping

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Parrying (except lasers) and flurry dodges are basically just cute little extras that you don't need to ever do in the entire game, except in that one tutorial shrine in kakariko where they force you to learn. Just circle strafe, get headshots with quickdraw bows, lean on that shield button, and smash attack as fast as you can until everything is dead.

Laser parrying is really nice and extremely helpful to know how to do, but also not actually necessary.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
WTF you can surf on shields?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

OhFunny posted:

WTF you can surf on shields?

I think you get a tutorial for this in a snowboarding cabin in the mountains. There are only a few places where it's necessary versus just hang-gliding everywhere.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm watching a Skyward Sword LP right now, and, ya know, I understand the reason for BotW having statues of/focus on Goddess Hylia, rather than the Goddesses of the Triforce, is because Skyward Sword was the previous game, and they wanted to make their new lore slightly relevant.

However, given Skyward Sword was supposedly the first game in the timeline, and BotW apparently* takes place at least 10,000 years AFTER whichever one is the latest, this makes zero sense in-universe. Which just leads me to wonder why the gently caress they published an official timeline in the first place.

*may or may not actually be 10,000 years, it's a legend and therefore probably exaggerated, but still

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I think you get a tutorial for this in a snowboarding cabin in the mountains. There are only a few places where it's necessary versus just hang-gliding everywhere.

I wonder what percentage of players actually find that cabin.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I'm not sure if I ever found the cabin, but I did find the guys hanging out under a big tree that were selling shields and challenging you to surf down a grassy hill which gets you a korok seed. That's about the only time I ever surfed.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder what percentage of players actually find that cabin.
I found it, but mostly ignored it because, with the lack of equipment upgrades & pieces of heart, there's literally no reason to do any sidequest

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Freaking Crumbum posted:

dark souls, famously known for blocking and parrying and dodging, mechanics that map almost perfectly 1:1 onto the botw control scheme.

also the souls games all allow you to jump so i'm not even sure what your point is here (other than being smug)

if you're the streamer in the clip i remain incredulous that someone could make it to the point of progress depicted without even accidentally discovering basic game mechanics.

edit: to me it's just as implausible as if you had said, after 20 hours of play time "YOU HAVE TO EQUIP YOUR WEAPONS TO USE THEM?!"

you could probably dig the VOD up and watch her entire playthrough for yourself beginning to end if you really want to verify if she actually played the whole game like that

you know, if you really want to

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i don’t think there’s really anything in this game that you can’t avoid taking damage from by just, like, sprinting out of the way

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Blaziken386 posted:

I found it, but mostly ignored it because, with the lack of equipment upgrades & pieces of heart, there's literally no reason to do any sidequest

Some of those sidequests get you clothes, you know.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Blaziken386 posted:

building that village is heart warming

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Augus posted:

you could probably dig the VOD up and watch her entire playthrough for yourself beginning to end if you really want to verify if she actually played the whole game like that

pass. i lost my appetite for watching let's plays some time around 2010 and the addition of scare cams or green screens that allow the streamer to project themselves over the gameplay is not an improvement over what people were doing 9 years ago (in my estimation)

i get that a whole lot of people have made more money than i ever would in 10 lifetimes doing the thing i just said, but i don't enjoy it personally. so, pass

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm watching a Skyward Sword LP right now, and, ya know, I understand the reason for BotW having statues of/focus on Goddess Hylia, rather than the Goddesses of the Triforce, is because Skyward Sword was the previous game, and they wanted to make their new lore slightly relevant.

However, given Skyward Sword was supposedly the first game in the timeline, and BotW apparently* takes place at least 10,000 years AFTER whichever one is the latest, this makes zero sense in-universe. Which just leads me to wonder why the gently caress they published an official timeline in the first place.

*may or may not actually be 10,000 years, it's a legend and therefore probably exaggerated, but still

I never finished Skyward Sword :(

I think I still have it and the motion+ controller in storage somewhere. I just could not beat an (optional?) music conducting mini game and rage quit.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Some of those sidequests get you clothes, you know.
The only one I can think of off the top of my head that does so is the "Lightning Striking the Stable" one, which is resolved in 30 seconds. That barely counts. I meant more like, the minigames to beat a specific score. Almost all of them give you a reward of like, 50 rupees, but charge you 10+ each time. Pointless.

Bulgakov posted:

building that village is heart warming
...okay, there's one sidequest worth doing. Both because it's cute, and because it gives you the best shops in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skratchez posted:

I never finished Skyward Sword :(

I think I still have it and the motion+ controller in storage somewhere. I just could not beat an (optional?) music conducting mini game and rage quit.

Skyward Sword nearly broke me at the point you had to fight some pirate miniboss. All it asked you to do was thrust forward like ten times in a row.

Skyward Sword can barely manage registering something twice in a row.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Blaziken386 posted:

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that does so is the "Lightning Striking the Stable" one, which is resolved in 30 seconds. That barely counts. I meant more like, the minigames to beat a specific score. Almost all of them give you a reward of like, 50 rupees, but charge you 10+ each time. Pointless.

...okay, there's one sidequest worth doing. Both because it's cute, and because it gives you the best shops in the game.

I'd put "The Priceless Maracas" and "Slated for Upgrades" as both more worth doing than "From the Ground Up," if the game made me choose. Probably "Robbie's Research" as well.

Side Quests also get you the Sand Boots, the Snow Boots, the Zora Greaves, the Flamebreaker Helm, and the Thunder Helm.

Vut yah, the minigame quests generally aren't that interesting to me., either. Did do the first part of Selmie's shield surfing race on my most recent playthrough, though because part 1 doesn't require you stay on the shield, I beat it on the Master Cycle Zero.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Skyward Sword can barely manage registering something twice in a row.

It's very interesting how some people swear motion controls don't work worth a drat and others report occasional difficulties at worst

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

The experience? The joy of finding things out? That goes for the actual side quests; I see you later said you were talking more about minigames though, and I do sympathize more with that point of view, especially when you can have 100,000+ rupees. I usually try my hand at them but, much like the horses, they don't hold a lot of interest for me. But I guess some people must like them.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I went to her stream and searched for the Blight fights. The only thing that she might have exagerated is the "you can charge attack???" part since she did use Urbosa's Fury, but maybe she thought it was a skill. The rest she was either being honest or pretty committed to playing dumb.

And tbf while I did know about shield parry because you can't google "Breath of the Wild" without 20 tutorial videos on "how to parry guardian lasers with a Pot Lid" popping up, all throughout the Plateau and on my way to Kakariko Village I did not know you could dodge nor accidentally dodged either.

Maybe I *could* have accidentally found out about it eventually if I had not done the tutorial shrine, but I can also see it not happening since side stepping/dodging requires you to press the Jump button and a lot of games I've played have subconsciously hardwired in me that jumping while fighting = bad (the first example that comes to my mind is TERA where getting hit by any type of attack while jumping is a guaranteed knock).

Heck, when I found out "perfect dodging" was a mechanic in this game I gritted my teeth a bit thinking this was gonna be another "the Dark Souls of X" meme and I'm a usually bad at timing things but it turned out that a) it's not entirely necessary to beat the game but makes it a lot easier and b) the timing in general is pretty generous to the point that even noob me could kill Golden Lynels without taking any hits

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 20, 2019

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The experience? The joy of finding things out? That goes for the actual side quests; I see you later said you were talking more about minigames though, and I do sympathize more with that point of view, especially when you can have 100,000+ rupees. I usually try my hand at them but, much like the horses, they don't hold a lot of interest for me. But I guess some people must like them.

I enjoy the minigames a bit as exercises in applying game mechanics in interesting ways but I do miss the old Zelda standby of "do good at minigame to get a piece of heart". It was a nice reward system rendered unnecessary by the shrines, overall still a fun system but it did take away from the minigames for sure.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

And tbf while I did know about shield parry because you can't google "Breath of the Wild" without 20 tutorial videos on "how to parry guardian lasers with a Pot Lid" popping up, all throughout the Plateau and on my way to Kakariko Village I did not know you could dodge nor accidentally dodged either.

Maybe I *could* have accidentally found out about it eventually if I had not done the tutorial shrine, but I can also see it not happening since side stepping/dodging requires you to press the Jump button and a lot of games I've played have subconsciously hardwired in me that jumping while fighting = bad (the first example that comes to my mind is TERA where getting hit by any type of attack while jumping is a guaranteed knock).

Heck, when I found out "perfect dodging" was a mechanic in this game I gritted my teeth a bit thinking this was gonna be another "the Dark Souls of X" meme and I'm a usually bad at timing things but it turned out that a) it's not entirely necessary to beat the game but makes it a lot easier and b) the timing in general is pretty generous to the point that even noob me could kill Golden Lynels without taking any hits

Yeah I pretty much didn't realise that you could shield parry anything else apart from the guardian attacks for a long while. Also I kinda forgot about the perfect dodge until the enemies started getting tougher later in the game.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It's very interesting how some people swear motion controls don't work worth a drat and others report occasional difficulties at worst
This is because they don't, in fact, work worth a drat and it's just a pessimist/optimist split on reporting it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lol no, it's actually because the wiimote is highly susceptible to outside interference and because some people can intuit the motions the developers wanted you to do much easier than others

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah once I figured out how to use motion controls in skyward sword (slowly and methodically) they worked perfectly fine. It was only when I was flailing or not moving my sword into the correct position first that they didn't work at all.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

I enjoy the minigames a bit as exercises in applying game mechanics in interesting ways but I do miss the old Zelda standby of "do good at minigame to get a piece of heart". It was a nice reward system rendered unnecessary by the shrines, overall still a fun system but it did take away from the minigames for sure.

BOTW's structure really is more like the original LOZ than OOT.

It's just too big and open for everything to be part of the same checklist, and I think a large part of appreciating it is to switch off the checklist part of your brain and realize that it's really more of the journey vs. destination.

About halfway through I realized I would not being seeing/collection everything, and I think I would have hated the game is had forced myself.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

maltesh posted:

the Flamebreaker Helm,

... where do you get this quest??

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Lol no, it's actually because the wiimote is highly susceptible to outside interference and because some people can intuit the motions the developers wanted you to do much easier than others

I can't play anything on Wii during sunny days because between the windows and wood floors there is enough glare to mess up the IR sensors. It's pretty irritating because I'm not about to buy blackout curtains and carpet so I can use controls that don't feel great when they are working optimally.

It's great for table tennis and bowling in Wii Sports, but a lot of the control schemes just feel bad.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

... where do you get this quest??

This is my favorite drat thing about this game.

I have talked to a dozen people about this game and every last one of them had a cool "Oh man, did you find ___?" story that I didn't know about. Or vice versa.

Play the game however you want, but if you're checking boxes, you're probably missing out on a core gameplay experience of just being rewarded for wandering. It's also why I encourage people to ride roads on their horses. Climbing is great, but I've found so much stuff just riding around and hearing my tablet blip at me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: you can parry a thrown bokoblin

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Saxophone posted:

This is my favorite drat thing about this game.

I have talked to a dozen people about this game and every last one of them had a cool "Oh man, did you find ___?" story that I didn't know about. Or vice versa.

Play the game however you want, but if you're checking boxes, you're probably missing out on a core gameplay experience of just being rewarded for wandering. It's also why I encourage people to ride roads on their horses. Climbing is great, but I've found so much stuff just riding around and hearing my tablet blip at me.

Oh I've already put like 250 hours into this game and still have like 30+ side quests/shrines left. Don't tell me how to play the game. Tell me where to find the loving quest!!! I need the god drat Fire Helm!!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I didn't know that a Bokoblin could be thrown :psyduck:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

I can't play anything on Wii during sunny days because between the windows and wood floors there is enough glare to mess up the IR sensors. It's pretty irritating because I'm not about to buy blackout curtains and carpet so I can use controls that don't feel great when they are working optimally.

Yikes. Sounds like glare central where your TV is. Not optimal for viewing, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Are there any moblins close enough to a hinox to see if a hinox can pick up a moblin? I know there's one area with bobokin near one but I don't recall anyone being thrown.

Or are there any lynel close to a hinox? :getin: