Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

was about to post this, what is even happening

https://twitter.com/GregJKrieg/status/1141143662874812416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:stare:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
unlock em up

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
New... Woke Times?!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the Times is still capable of trotting out some good endorsements on a fairly regular basis. this is still a little bit of a surprise given how different Caban is compared to the rest of the field

uncurable mlady posted:

yall think weed'll pass? cuomo was on npr up here saying that he thinks it'll get done but idk
https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1141317952173748231?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Interesting.

The only angle I know about that in New York is financial - the weed capitalists want a public bank because the existing locals are too small and the larger ones would endanger their federal charter. I'm curious if the stalling on public bank work has thrown a wrench in that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL
https://twitter.com/pete_manhattan/status/1141318093333028870

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tulip posted:

Interesting.

The only angle I know about that in New York is financial - the weed capitalists want a public bank because the existing locals are too small and the larger ones would endanger their federal charter. I'm curious if the stalling on public bank work has thrown a wrench in that.
i've seen zero talk about New York public banking in the legislative session and it's been shelved by the DSA groups that i know about for other issues, some of which aren't Medicare For All and Bernie. Phil Murphy made that an issue when he was running for NJ governor, but given that they have the opposite political problem in that their legislature sucks, i have no idea if it's gained any traction (i doubt it)

that being said, i'd like to see it talked up next year

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

welp looks like i'm voting for malik

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
the only way public banking will work is if it's federal and basically a post office bank but people already hate the usps for stupid reasons and it'll be yet another thing to target the usps for.

we even had post office savings 50 years ago :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

support your local credit union

as long as they aren't fee harvesting scumbags.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good luck finding the unicorn credit union that will take you if you're not already a member of something, though

Malcolm XML posted:

the only way public banking will work is if it's federal and basically a post office bank but people already hate the usps for stupid reasons and it'll be yet another thing to target the usps for.

there's a NYC DSA campaign to bring back postal banking but idk how much of a priority it is for them

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That’s interesting. I think Warren was big on postal banking a few years ago.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's a NYC DSA campaign to bring back postal banking but idk how much of a priority it is for them

I'm in this campaign. It's moving up in priority but housing was taking up nearly all our energy due to legislative urgency.

Sanders is on board and he's the most powerful wrt this project, trouble is that the lobbyists are all capitalists right now and Cuomo is trying to engineer a public bank staffed by his friends from Goldman etc. So we want to move fast enough to keep the left wing momentum, but in such a way that we sand bag Cuomo out of what he wants.

A comical part of this is that there's a contingent that wants a NYC-only bank, and what's funny is that the city government is more conservative on this front than the state, AND they're way less able to affect spending, so it's just a huge waste of time and really inane bickering over implementation.

Malcolm XML posted:

North Dakota currently has a state public bank. There's really not much reason that a state can't do it, and the biggest issue (political will) is a bigger problem at the federal level.

That said, postal banking is kind of interesting in that I'm pretty sure the post office can just DO it. Their union is pushing for it, but it's stalled for like nearly a year.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

speaking of Warren, she and Sanders both endorsed Caban

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Tulip posted:

That said, postal banking is kind of interesting in that I'm pretty sure the post office can just DO it.

not only can they just do it, they did it from 1911 to 1966

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tulip posted:

I'm in this campaign. It's moving up in priority but housing was taking up nearly all our energy due to legislative urgency.
i said this before but i'm glad that the rent laws are permanent for this exact reason

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GalacticAcid posted:

not only can they just do it, they did it from 1911 to 1966

I mean, my understanding is that the laws are such that they don't need congress to reauthorize. It's just 1) local consent 2) post master general. PMG is currently still an Obama appointment (apparently nobody really did a good job of spelling out how to end a PMG other than resign or die), but I'm losing faith that that matters.

i said this before but i'm glad that the rent laws are permanent for this exact reason

:same:

Main competition for labor resources are now m4a and electoral, but tbh the electoral labor is non fungible so whatever.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Boy did the centrists pick a bad thing to fence sit on, they're gonna get it for not pushing weed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Boy did the centrists pick a bad thing to fence sit on, they're gonna get it for not pushing weed
considering that the "centrists" you're talking about are mainly based in Long Island, no, they definitely won't "get it." the suburban mentality there is powerful and all of the LI Dems embody it (i know that i defended Thomas earlier ITT but at the end of the day, he's still the cream of the crap). only a handful of counties in the state wanted to opt out of legal weed and two of them were Nassau and Suffolk. they have another year to do it and do it right, but given their continued reluctance i wouldn't give it good odds

by the way, a special "gently caress you" to Diane Savino on this issue (among others). she was one of the Senate's loudest voices to expand the medicinal weed program and legalize it for recreational use, but when it wasn't included in the budget, she threw up her hands and gave up

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lol legal weed failed for you guys

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

god the Democratic machine loving sucks
https://twitter.com/lbarronlopez/status/1141447029111033856

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

... what

lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Does a borough president have any official power or responsibility? "You didn't ask the borough president what they thought" seems bizarre. They didn't ask Mr Softee either.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does a borough president have any official power or responsibility? "You didn't ask the borough president what they thought" seems bizarre. They didn't ask Mr Softee either.

They have some minor power over zoning issues but mostly no.

That said, the issue isn’t “you didn’t talk to the Borough President” - the Borough President is Melinda Katz, the rival candidate that Meeks et al are endorsing! - the issue is, ostensibly, “these white people from out of state are endorsing a different candidate from us, all of the local black elected officials”.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

considering that the "centrists" you're talking about are mainly based in Long Island, no, they definitely won't "get it." the suburban mentality there is powerful and all of the LI Dems embody it (i know that i defended Thomas earlier ITT but at the end of the day, he's still the cream of the crap). only a handful of counties in the state wanted to opt out of legal weed and two of them were Nassau and Suffolk. they have another year to do it and do it right, but given their continued reluctance i wouldn't give it good odds

by the way, a special "gently caress you" to Diane Savino on this issue (among others). she was one of the Senate's loudest voices to expand the medicinal weed program and legalize it for recreational use, but when it wasn't included in the budget, she threw up her hands and gave up

Oh. Well gently caress

Been seeing and hearing a lotta "divers liscences for illegals but no WEED???" outta people, which makes me wonder a lot about how this didn't get through cause this isn't a very big political risk. I guess the calculus is way different than I thought.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the New York machine is loathsome but incompetent. it's worse in New Jersey because they run a much tighter ship and have politics that are just as lovely. they have a much better governor though

Grondoth posted:

Oh. Well gently caress

Been seeing and hearing a lotta "divers liscences for illegals but no WEED???" outta people, which makes me wonder a lot about how this didn't get through cause this isn't a very big political risk. I guess the calculus is way different than I thought.
When it comes to weed, Peoples-Stokes and a lot of urban Democrats in the Assembly wanted stronger protections for people formerly incarcerated for weed-related charges, as well as some percentage of the money made to go back into communities that have historically been heavily prosecuted in the past. I'm gonna guess that the gap between them and the Senate was way too much to close in a couple of days. I guess they passed further decriminalization measures but who cares.

As for licenses? I assume they had more time to hash things out. The last-ditch legalization bill in both chambers was announced a couple of days ago, and this was probably introduced much earlier than that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

When it comes to weed, Peoples-Stokes and a lot of urban Democrats in the Assembly wanted stronger protections for people formerly incarcerated for weed-related charges, as well as some percentage of the money made to go back into communities that have historically been heavily prosecuted in the past. I'm gonna guess that the gap between them and the Senate was way too much to close in a couple of days. I guess they passed further decriminalization measures but who cares.

As for licenses? I assume they had more time to hash things out. The last-ditch legalization bill in both chambers was announced a couple of days ago, and this was probably introduced much earlier than that.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense and I'm not surprised there's sticking points there. More or less everyone wants legal weed, but addressing the systemic injustices carried out in banning it for as long as we have is a much bigger task.
I apologize for barging in here and saying uninformed things. Not every thread is the trump thread.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Oh, that makes a lot of sense and I'm not surprised there's sticking points there. More or less everyone wants legal weed, but addressing the systemic injustices carried out in banning it for as long as we have is a much bigger task.
I apologize for barging in here and saying uninformed things. Not every thread is the trump thread.
there's no need to apologize! it's good that you came to learn about our state's politics. it's kind of a mess but it's so much better than it was only a year ago

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/CannabisIndy/status/1141944702419292160

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

the New York machine is loathsome but incompetent. it's worse in New Jersey because they run a much tighter ship and have politics that are just as lovely. they have a much better governor though

Hello from across the Hudson: Murphy is an incompetent moron who bought his governorship and is very likely to get tossed out on his rear end by a mega succ dem (sweeney) next election.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Hello from across the Hudson: Murphy is an incompetent moron who bought his governorship and is very likely to get tossed out on his rear end by a mega succ dem (sweeney) next election.
i'd still take him in an instant over our barracuda smiled monster of a governor, but it does look like he has no grasp of politics and was completely taken aback by the legislature's stubbornness. idk how much of NJ's flaws are his lack of political instincts and how much is because the machine still has a tight grip over everything

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

oh my god haha

https://twitter.com/aptaube/status/1141934768214466560?s=21

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

it only makes her more powerful,,,,

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't know what media euphemism i hate more: "controversial" or calling something "charged"

also, the DN didn't endorse Katz, they endorsed Lasak (who is even worse). idk why they'd print that on behalf of someone they didn't endorse

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i don't know what media euphemism i hate more: "controversial" or calling something "charged"

also, the DN didn't endorse Katz, they endorsed Lasak (who is even worse). idk why they'd print that on behalf of someone they didn't endorse

lol that's Lasak? He was hilariously terrible in the debate, still yelling about monsters and protecting er' cops in 2019.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/RoryLancman/status/1142091531232395266

Lancman previously had run as the other progressive in the race, compared himself to Larry Krasner, and attacked Katz from the left

don't trust anyone who takes real estate money and supports anti-BDS legislation

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my friend told me there was a rumor Lancman was dropping out. he's right, he probably had no shot of winning. Caban took all the wind out of his sails

as far as NYC and Queens dems go, he's not half bad, but i don't consider him to be that qualified for DA because it's different than other elected positiona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

at least Lancman's staff have some semblance of integrity

https://twitter.com/AnnaESanders/status/1142134310390181895