Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Because you see plumbing is a service whereas baking is speech
Baking might not be speech, but custom cake decorating really obviously is.

Piell posted:

There was no loving message discussed for the cake. They refused to make a cake for a wedding as soon as they learned the people getting married were gay. It's discrimination against a protected class, full stop.

Stop with your bullshit.

Edit: Two people of the same sex getting married is exactly the same event as two people of differing sex getting married, we had a court case about it. Refusing to make the exact same wedding cake for a gay wedding that you would for a straight wedding is discriminatory.

"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake to celebrate my wedding. Also, I am straight."
"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake to celebrate my wedding. Also, I am gay."

Those are the correct parallels and if you would do the first and not the second you are illegally discriminating.
If a choir is willing to perform Amazing Grace at a Unitarian Universalist picnic, but not the Southern Baptist Convention, because they disagree with their beliefs, do you think they are engaging in impermissible religious discrimination, and if not, how is it different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dead Reckoning posted:

I disagree that a religious exception based around expression would necessarily be so broad. If someone make 100 identical pieces of erotic furry art, and offers them for sale, they can't refuse to sell to a person based on their membership in a protected class, even though visual art is clearly expression. If, on the other hand, they take commissions to draw erotic furry art, they can refuse any commission that they feels sends a message they disagree with, even if that message is somehow related to membership in a protected class.

What you're missing is that the people funding this kind of litigation are not doing this in a vacuum out of abstract interest in good law. They are pushing a legal agenda. They also have allies in the Supreme Court.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Like, in general? Sure.
In specific circumstances:
"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake. Also, I am gay." No, cannot refuse.
"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake to celebrate my gay wedding." Yes, can refuse.
"Hello, I would like to buy that marble cake in the display case. Also, I plan to serve it at my gay wedding." No, cannot refuse.

If that's your logic then wouldn't the following also be true:

"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake to celebrate the end of Ramadan." Yes, can refuse, according to you.
"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake to celebrate Black History month." Yes, can refuse, according to you.
"Hello, I would like to custom order a marble cake to celebrate being the first woman mayor." Yes, can refuse, according to you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have no idea what DR is even arguing even more

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dead Reckoning posted:

If a choir is willing to perform Amazing Grace at a Unitarian Universalist picnic, but not the Southern Baptist Convention, because they disagree with their beliefs, do you think they are engaging in impermissible religious discrimination, and if not, how is it different?

You keep saying that cake decorating obviously is speech, but it really isn't obvious at all. It CAN be speech, most things can. Again, as many have said, even when it is speech, it isn't necessarily protected. Baking a cake that is specially designed, but expresses no overt message, is not an endorsement of the matter the cake celebrates, nor is it speech, let alone protected speech.

If a choir ONLY sings at Unitarian functions, but sings at any Unitarian function, it's hard to see how they fall into any public accommodation. A choir at a local church isn't required to sing at other churches. Neither of these are in the regulated category.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Sure. Businesses can discriminate in all kinds of ways, so long as that discrimination is not based on certain protected categories of people. Like, a store can refuse to allow in a known shoplifter, or people improperly dressed for health/cleanliness reasons, or whatever. "Because you're left-handed" is not a valid reason.

Iirc, the no shoes no shirt was originally a fig leaf over explicitly discriminatory policies. After the civil rights act of 64, the south tried in a million different ways to continue the policy of segregation and one was “improperly dressed for health/cleanliness reason” and the other was religious or conscious reasons. Same reason a million segregation academies blossomed under the church and its hard not to see the persecution complex in the evangelical church as resulting from the federal governments intervention in Brown. Maybe I’m just holding a hammer and everything a looks like a nail, but these cakes are just an echo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dead Reckoning posted:

If a choir is willing to perform Amazing Grace at an all-white picnic, but not at an all-black picnic, because of the picnic attendees' race, do you think they are engaging in impermissible racial discrimination, and if not, how is it different?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Stop feeding him, gently caress

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Define custom

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bad faith devil's advocate positions to troll the thread. It's a sure bet that whenever I see 30+ new posts here or the CA politics thread that it's a DR shitstorm.

Ignore DR. Do not quote DR. This is the only way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sped reckoning

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Cakes are very gay and you cannot parse the homosexuality out of their construction

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The funniest part to me is that if most of these businesses getting sued would've just bluffed a vaguely plausible reason to turn down the order, that would be the end of it. Just say you're booked six months out or some poo poo that's a deal breaker for the couple, and the icky gays and their money you don't want will exit your life forever. Just keep how much you hate the homos to yourself for five god damned minutes and that's the end of it. They couldn't even manage that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He's making GBS threads up the thread as he always does because he knows people will fall over themselves to reply to his bad faith arguments.

Or he's just that much of a dumb rear end bigot, take your pick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Javid posted:

The funniest part to me is that if most of these businesses getting sued would've just bluffed a vaguely plausible reason to turn down the order, that would be the end of it. Just say you're booked six months out or some poo poo that's a deal breaker for the couple, and the icky gays and their money you don't want will exit your life forever. Just keep how much you hate the homos to yourself for five god damned minutes and that's the end of it. They couldn't even manage that.

Everybody involved in Masterpiece Cakeshop wants to be doing exactly what they're doing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Everybody involved in Masterpiece Cakeshop wants to be doing exactly what they're doing.

Except the judges / justices.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Javid posted:

A place by me refused to cater a lesbian wedding and posted this on their website and apparently in Missouri it's fine?

quote:

Home

Click here to edit text

Mission Statement

As stewards and caretakers of Madison's Cafe,

we strive to honor God in all we do as we pursue excellence in the services we provide.

Our Core Values

Honoring God:

We believe that everything we have is a gift from God that we are to use to honor Him through our activities, events, and endeavors.In order to honor God, we will not host or facilitate any event that we believe directly contradicts our Christian principles.

Honoring Family:

We value the individuals, families, staff, and guests of Madison's Cafe, recognizing them as the building blocks of success for our business, the community, and our world. We embrace God-honoring events that seek to build the family. We respect each individual as a member of our global community, as created in the image and likeness of God. We believe that the Bible teaches that the only true and appropriate marriage is the union of one man and one woman, as created, and that other types of marriage are immoral. We also believe that it is our religious duty not to aid or assist others to act immorally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

Except the judges / justices.

Ginsburg might want to retire, maybe Breyer. Otherwise, though, yeah, them too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ginsburg might want to retire, maybe Breyer. Otherwise, though, yeah, them too.

If the justices were really interested in Masterpiece Cakeshop, they wouldn't have released that 7-2 punt followed by another punt.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's making GBS threads up the thread as he always does because he knows people will fall over themselves to reply to his bad faith arguments.

Or he's just that much of a dumb rear end bigot, take your pick.

Either way, it's a bad idea to just let bad ideas go unchallenged so that they appear valid to casual observers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't see how "I won't make a cake that celebrates a gay marriage" isn't content based.

I think you do, because you were magically able to make that distinction when you thought it was advantageous to your argument, see here:

Dead Reckoning posted:

IIRC, the cake Craig and Mullens ended up with revealed a rainbow flag motif when cut, so slight differences there.

"Aha! I knew they wanted a 'gay' cake because it had a rainbow in it", even you had to describe the content of the cake because a layered white wedding cake isn't a "gay" cake just because gay people are eating it. It's really not that hard.

"Hi I would like a custom wedding cake with a rainbow inside to celebrate my gay wedding."
"No, I don't do custom rainbow wedding cakes for anybody" (content-based discrimination)

"Hi I would like a custom wedding cake exactly the same as the one that other couple just walked out with to celebrate my gay wedding."
"No, I won't make that cake if it's for a gay couple" (class-based discrimination)

Since he refused before he even heard what content they wanted, for all he knew they wanted a duplicate of a cake he made for someone else, then his objection obviously wasn't based on the content of speech they were asking him to express, it was based on who was doing the asking.

You also seem to have a bad understanding of discrimination law in general. For example this:

Dead Reckoning posted:

For example, if a straight person came in and said, "I would like to commission a cake for my son's gay wedding", they would reject that request.
is not a defense. "I am not discriminating against you because you're black, I also wouldn't sell this product to a white person if I knew they were buying it on a black person's behalf!" is discriminating against black people

Dead Reckoning posted:

It doesn't really matter though. If a choir is willing to perform Amazing Grace at a Unitarian Universalist picnic, but not the Southern Baptist Convention, because they disagree with their beliefs, they aren't engaging in impermissible religious discrimination.

Church choirs aren't a public accommodation because they don't offer their services for sale to the general public. If the choir did accept gigs from the general public and performed at all sorts of events but had a "No Jews" policy because they disagree with Jewish beliefs, then yes that is illegal religious discrimination.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If there is no expressive conduct involved in making a wedding cake, then the couple should have just bought a birthday cake and left instead of wasting all their money on custom fondant and piping that doesn't make it taste any better. But if course no one does that, because custom wedding cakes look different and express different messages than birthday cakes or grocery store sheet cakes, which is why there is an entire industry devoted to custom-making them to your particular taste and ceremony.

Expression is obviously not based on whether something has a functional purpose or not. Fondant and piping don't become speech just because they don't taste like anything. Your reasoning here could apply to birthday cakes just as well because "Happy Birthday Marcus" written in frosting doesn't make the cake taste better so you can discriminate against black people buying birthday cakes. Fashion handbags and designer clothing don't function any better than coveralls and canvas bags so black people can be banned from boutiques or at least restricted to the "black-permitted" section. For that matter, the water coming out of the colored fountain is the same water as the white fountain, and the back of the bus gets you to the same destination at the same time.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 19, 2019

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Modus Pwnens posted:

A place by me refused to cater a lesbian wedding and posted this on their website and apparently in Missouri it's fine?

You'd have to sue to find out, but being LGBT is not protected in many states. It's not protected in federal law. Discriminating against gays is illegal in Colorado because they specifically wrote protections for sexual identity into their law. Missouri has roughly the same protected classes as federal law, so until "no discrimination on the basis of sex" is detemined to include sexual identity, stores can kick gays out all they want.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You'd have to sue to find out, but being LGBT is not protected in many states. It's not protected in federal law. Discriminating against gays is illegal in Colorado because they specifically wrote protections for sexual identity into their law. Missouri has roughly the same protected classes as federal law, so until "no discrimination on the basis of sex" is detemined to include sexual identity, stores can kick gays out all they want.

This is one of those “if Hillary had won” things, since a number of promising cases attempting to apply the Title VII to discrimination against gay people, which would have at least arguably suggested protections under Title II (the federal public accommodations law) were moving along. As is, the SCOTUS is probably going to rule that Title VII doesn’t protect gay people. So...

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
change my username to Gay Cake please

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

change my username to Gay Cake please

i refuse, as is my constitutional right!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dead Reckoning posted:

Church-atrached choirs don't have business licenses.

Just shut the gently caress up, you're really bad at this.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DR just can't wrap his mind around the fact laws exist that punish people for broadcasting and practicing socially, legislatively, and constitutionally agreed upon poo poo beliefs. The idea bothers him for some reason :thunk:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
DR is the Dunning whatever effect personified

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If it was merely using the correct words and phrases to avoid legal trouble, sov cits would be revolutionaries.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
SCOTUS just ruled that a 40 foot cross is not a religous symbol, on the basis that it's been there for a while

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 20, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Piell posted:

SCOTUS just ruled that a 40 foot cross is not a religous symbol

it's actually way better, they 100% agree it's a religious symbol but it 'means something more now' for the monument so even if it is a religious symbol you can't complain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sure these guys would vote the same if it was a big rear end crescent moon comparing the loss of soldiers to the sacrifice of the great Islamic martyrs.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Piell posted:

SCOTUS just ruled that a 40 foot cross is not a religous symbol, on the basis that it's been there for a while

Breyer agreed so its not too bad. Apparently this cross has been there for over 100 years and the Supreme Court created a "if its been there forever, we'll just go ahead and make an exception"

edit: Kagan also joined part of it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

it's actually way better, they 100% agree it's a religious symbol but it 'means something more now' for the monument so even if it is a religious symbol you can't complain.

From SCOTUSBlog

quote:

The outcome turns heavily on the fact that the cross has been around for a long time and seems to establish a general presumption of constitutionality for old monuments of this sort: "The passage of time gives rise to a strong presumption of constitutionality."

Old things cant be unconstitutional, I'm a Supreme Court Justice hurf durf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rigel posted:

Breyer agreed so its not too bad. Apparently this cross has been there for over 100 years and the Supreme Court created a "if its been there forever, we'll just go ahead and make an exception"

edit: Kagan also joined part of it

it's real fuckin dumb fam, the supporting judges are all agreeing it is a religious symbol, they're just going 'pft but who cares'

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

it's real fuckin dumb fam, the supporting judges are all agreeing it is a religious symbol, they're just going 'pft but who cares'

This 7-2 decision doesn't sound totally crazy to me. Their reasoning is basically "its been there for a very long time, at this point removing it would no longer be neutral, it would now be openly hostile to religion, which also isn't allowed".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Rigel posted:

This 7-2 decision doesn't sound totally crazy to me. Their reasoning is basically "its been there for a very long time, at this point removing it would no longer be neutral, it would now be openly hostile to religion, which also isn't allowed".

That's very stupid. A big sign saying "Jesus is the only god" put up by the government doesnt become constitutional just because it's been up for a while

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Of course SCOTUS justices think that old things deserve special respect under the constitution.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Piell posted:

That's very stupid. A big sign saying "Jesus is the only god" put up by the government doesnt become constitutional just because it's been up for a while

I would agree that a big sign saying "Jesus is the only god" would be more of a problem. Fortunately, this is only a big old cross, and governments still can't put up new crosses everywhere on their property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rigel posted:

I would agree that a big sign saying "Jesus is the only god" would be more of a problem. Fortunately, this is only a big old cross, and governments still can't put up new crosses everywhere on their property.

Yeah, any decision that rests on a hundred year old set of facts isn't going to be all that abusable.