Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean it's petty but isn't that literally reportable? Booting someone because they aren't playing the way you want?

Edit: gently caress why did this have to be new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I boot all non catgirls. Play my way.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
maybe next time that healer will learn to Respect The Content

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Impermanent posted:

just have fun imo

no. never

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glagha posted:

I mean it's petty but isn't that literally reportable? Booting someone because they aren't playing the way you want?

Edit: gently caress why did this have to be new page.

It is reportable, yeah--actionable, idk, but reporting this is encouraged

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even though I doubt anything will happen, I reported the tank just because. Also for wasting 15 minutes of my time (at least I got DNC and GNB gear out of it), otherwise I think it was really funny. Like, the tank is doing single pulls like he's level 65 in sub-shire gear (he's level 70 with augmented scaevan stuff so he's not new) and waste everyone's time with a pull countdown, every one of them went AFK at some point and the tank had no problem with that and even waited around when the BLM with the level-appropriate gear and the returner sprout did it. But I'm the one getting booted for being "AFK" or whatever reason he used, for letting the tank get low (he didn't even die :psyduck:) right after the mentor DPS in the group literally goes BRB. What?

Ciaphas posted:

this feels like why all of the healer dps is disappearing come shb: we're like the only part of the internet who enjoys that aspect
While I enjoy green DPS I would also enjoy (mostly) honest healing if the healing mechanics are actually interesting and the healing is necessary. Both conditions are not met in this game and I doubt the devs have the willingness and ability to change this now.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Reminds me of when I was doing my first healer, Astrologian a while back. Was running something pretty low, I think Satasha? The tank got mad cause he was dropping low on HP (and as I recall I don't think I let him die, and if i did I would have got him back up fast with Swifhtcast/Arise) in the middle section with the pirates and not only yelled at me (which got me a bit upset at the time) but starting being a passive aggressive poo poo with the pulls, as in not pulling or tanking anything. I was in with my friend who is the epitome of petty rear end in a top hat (and probably made it worse) so we tried to basically two man until we could initiate a vote kick for the tank. The other DPS groused at us at the end of the dungeon so we blocked them both.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I had a similar situation myself in bardams while levelling ast. The group was awful and I'm 90% sure the rest of the party was premade. We wiped on the trash pulls before takeshis castle boss and I apologised. Then we all gathered up to try again and one of the loving dps decides to pull. I start panic healing him and get all the agro and die. Another wipe. I get kicked afterwards. I was so loving happy to get out of there. Haven't touched Bardams since.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

It's because there's literally 3 raid tiers worth of gear between the end of the praetorium and the start of HW and they don't want people to have to grind tomes for a week just to be able to do the already overly long 2.X MSQ.

I'm not sure how any of this is a surprise.

Multiple tiers is not a surprise, "Ah you finished AF1? Here's a box that unceremoniously gives you all of AF2" is a surprise, especially with my only MMO experience being FF11

Leofish posted:

Which bow are you referring to? The top-tier i135 bows that are equippable at 50 are either the Dreadwyrm Bow or the Yoichi Bow Zeta. Most people go for the Augmented Ironworks, which is i130 and looks like a massive railgun.

Oh it turns out I was wrong :shobon: I just looked up the highest ilvl bow on the AH because it wasn't too expensive and much better than anything I had, it didn't even occur to me that there's obviously better stuff you can't buy. It's a i115 Cedar Longbow that looks like you can just craft it.

Is it worth going for higher ilvl stuff or am I gonna level past it quick enough that I shouldn't bother? I did notice that at this point one exp roulette is no longer enough to get an instant level

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Multiple tiers is not a surprise, "Ah you finished AF1? Here's a box that unceremoniously gives you all of AF2" is a surprise, especially with my only MMO experience being FF11

Oh it turns out I was wrong :shobon: I just looked up the highest ilvl bow on the AH because it wasn't too expensive and much better than anything I had, it didn't even occur to me that there's obviously better stuff you can't buy. It's a i115 Cedar Longbow that looks like you can just craft it.

Is it worth going for higher ilvl stuff or am I gonna level past it quick enough that I shouldn't bother? I did notice that at this point one exp roulette is no longer enough to get an instant level

The leveling experience is designed for the crafted gear with some crafted updates. You’ll be fine.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just handing you the i90 gear is kind of an apology for the upcoming post-Praetorium msq grind, so you don't have to spend time obtaining equipment in dungeons if you don't have a sugar daddy to craft stuff for you.

On the other hand just imagine how much longer MSDR would take if half the party was i45-50 on top of the unskippable cutscenes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

They added gear upgrades to the quests you already have to do, and it happens the first set they give you - via your level 50 job quest - is the artifact gear recolor that used to be sold for one type of tomes (the first with a weekly cap IIRC). In terms of story you're getting your job's artifacts done. And for the sake of your sanity the game says "but that's not enough anymore, take this stuff instead". Having to follow the old gear treadmill from item level 50 to at least 115 (the base level for HW at 50) would be super awful on top of the 100 FedEx quests you already have to do.

The crafted level 115 whites you're looking at were added with HW as a baseline for the expansion (bad normal quality versions of it can be bought from NPC vendors), but old ARR endgame gear goes higher. Since the 100 quests between ARR and HW take a while, and you won't get meaningful upgrades to it until about level 55/56, getting Augmented Ironworks gear can be useful. Especially since you can wear it at 50 (HW dungeons drop equal gear to regular Ironworks at level 51 and to Augmented Ironworks at 53). But you're also going to be fine just sticking to the gear the MSQ and job quests hand out.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

all level 70 mch be sure to torch your bishop before you log off on patch night

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vitamean posted:

all level 70 mch be sure to torch your bishop before you log off on patch night

My baby bomb? My lil guy? Nooo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the original AF gear were thematically old antiques. The very first tome grinds were for tomestones of philosophy and mythology and the best gear you could buy with the latter was the upgraded versions of AF gear.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm planning on healing some content on patch-eve with a "press f" macro tied to protect.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I need to do that too. My muscle memory compels me to spam the protect button while loading into areas, it's gonna be great zoning into a dungeon and chat is full of ":rip: {Protect}" :v:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I had forgotten how brutally long Praetorium was last night. Took at least 45 minutes, for less xp than an Alliance Roulette that can be done in 15 minutes. It’s nice getting a whole level but pushing that msqdr queue button is going to feel like a gamble every time now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's not so bad in in the 50-52 stretch, but when the xp from mob kills isn't a large % of your total anymore it becomes very poo poo IMO.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

Holy poo poo I need to do that too. My muscle memory compels me to spam the protect button while loading into areas, it's gonna be great zoning into a dungeon and chat is full of ":rip: {Protect}" :v:

“Press F to cast protect”

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

orcane posted:

While I enjoy green DPS I would also enjoy (mostly) honest healing if the healing mechanics are actually interesting and the healing is necessary. Both conditions are not met in this game and I doubt the devs have the willingness and ability to change this now.

Now that role actions are gratis I wonder if they'll add more serious Esunable conditions and debuffs. I think there's maybe a handful of situations where debuffs can't be weathered/healed through.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ort posted:

I had forgotten how brutally long Praetorium was last night. Took at least 45 minutes, for less xp than an Alliance Roulette that can be done in 15 minutes. It’s nice getting a whole level but pushing that msqdr queue button is going to feel like a gamble every time now.

I hope and pray I get Praetorium at 67+ because otherwise I'd have to do like 5 Doma Castles per level which is absurd.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

uh yeah prae in msqdr gives almost 5 mill exp at high levels, way more than alliance.i hope for prae cause i can just sit and play something else on my other monitor during cutscenes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Seeing Famrit in there reminds me of something that happened to me a couple days ago. I was matched with a Famfrit premade into the Burn. I got booted after a wipe on the last boss for doing a /straightface at the tank, while he was deliberately running into aoes.

The whole dungeon was a disaster. The DRK was in his 290 af gear. Not a glamour, and not the Eureka upgrade.
Neither ninja used Huton, but both were using Armour Crush. One of them was using Suiton, but no Trick Attack.
I got Shadewalkered on trash pulls (I was already pulling aggro without it thanks.)
Tank would just pop cooldowns arbitrarily, and not on anything that did damage.

We managed to get to the Mist Dragon eventually. The fight itself was bad (one ninja would get one-shot from the blue mark, and the tank would barely survive) and we couldn't beat the dps checks (they apparently happen more than once) but I could have carried them kicking and screaming through the boss until the ninjas died and released.

I knew the group was going to be a gongshow, so I turned OBS on before the first boss to show my FC. They got a kick out of it.

After they kicked me I hopped on to Famfrit just to see how long they were going to take (I'm petty and had to render the video). Took about 85 minutes before they were done, and it must have been an abandon because they weren't in the post-burn cutscene.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Save your money on the AH. Go to the poetics vendor in mor dhona and pick up ironworks ilvl 120 gear, upgradable to ilvl 130. Best gear at 50, and will easily carry to you till 55 or so. Possible to even push it to 60. Also has fancy techy looking theme going on.

Poetics are easy to earn simply by doing roulettes at 50+. MSQ roulette will usually net you like 600 or so which is good for 1 or 2 pieces of gear. Of course, your tolerance for it may vary depending on how much you can put up with unskippable cut scenes, padding out the time to between 30-60 minutes, especially if you get praetorium. Then again, it's a nice time to queue up netflix or youtube and tab out.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ort posted:

There's like 30 minutes of cutscenes, plenty of time to watch half an episode of something..

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The whole dungeon was a disaster. The DRK was in his 290 af gear. Not a glamour, and not the Eureka upgrade.

..did he queue with real gear and then change it? It's 340 required right?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

aers posted:

There's like 30 minutes of cutscenes, plenty of time to watch half an episode of something..

You can watch a full episode of anime or tokusatsu so what’s the problem?!?!!

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Speaking of bad players, I got put into jail recently for something I did in 4.0 I think. I was running the Aery as DRG and there was a tank and some melee dps in the party who had queued together. They were both very bad, and this came after a string of slow and torturous dungeon runs, so I was pretty cranky. When I used LB as soon as the meter was full, they complained that I had wasted it. So I told them that based on their damage numbers, they'll just have to trust that I know better than them.

I was kicked from the party and then I think my sub ran out a couple days later. It finally caught up to me when I resubbed. The GM who scolded me in the cell was very roleplay-y about it. That's my story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

HW had the split starting zones also specifically to even out the load, that was before they had zone instancing though iirc. It really sucked though and kind of derails the pacing of the HW story

After Raubahn's Wall I'm convinced that splitting Western Coerthas/Sea of Clouds was just a happy coincidence rather than an intentional method to reduce server load. Also HW definitely had zone instancing at release, I remember it being particularly frustrating to group with people before they hammered out the kinks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Also HW definitely had zone instancing at release, I remember it being particularly frustrating to group with people before they hammered out the kinks.

Yeah, at the start you'd just get thrown into a random one, it took a week or so before they added the "go through instance border to chose your instance" IIRC.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah it made hunts... interesting.

In one of the seven million interviews recently it was mentioned they've made group teleports send your group to the same instance now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is Ishgarde housing supposed to be a component of the restoration stuff? I can't remember if that's something they outright said/hinted at, or just something players have inferred, because I don't think I've seen it come in up the recent talks about the restoration stuff getting added in 8.1

I'm still not clear on what the restoration entails, beyond something for crafters & gatheres to engage with, because they also mentioned seasons, implying some sort of periodic reset. Will there be parts of Ishgarde that get a Doma / Idllyshire style progression of repairs?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

After Raubahn's Wall I'm convinced that splitting Western Coerthas/Sea of Clouds was just a happy coincidence rather than an intentional method to reduce server load. Also HW definitely had zone instancing at release, I remember it being particularly frustrating to group with people before they hammered out the kinks.
I could see it being a bit of both personally. They might have done initial design thinking they needed to split the load by splitting the zones, then later in HW development developed the zone instancing, but they'd already designed the story around the split zones. Then in Stormblood they figured everything went fine with HW so they didn't need to bother with it. S-E also mentioned there were heavy DDOS attacks at the launch of SB which were contributing to the issues, though I still hope they pushed segments like it later since I'm pretty sure cramming everyone into a lengthy solo duty didn't help.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Instances were great in SB 'cause you got to do Ixion three times in a row as I recall. Fun stuff, hope it's a thing in ShB too.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Is Ishgarde housing supposed to be a component of the restoration stuff? I can't remember if that's something they outright said/hinted at, or just something players have inferred, because I don't think I've seen it come in up the recent talks about the restoration stuff getting added in 8.1

I'm still not clear on what the restoration entails, beyond something for crafters & gatheres to engage with, because they also mentioned seasons, implying some sort of periodic reset. Will there be parts of Ishgarde that get a Doma / Idllyshire style progression of repairs?

All of that is basically up in the air right now. We haven't been told many specifics. The housing stuff comes from a comment that was something to the effect of "will there be housing in Ishgard?" "that's up to the players". As for the latter part, it seems like it but it'll be more server-dependent progression of the restoration process than individual progression.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I once got put in with a 3 stack for Bardam's Mettle with a group that were all named after FFXV characters, and they kept talking in party chat like the characters, and we coudn't beat the final boss. Also I was the only one to survive the mechanics boss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really hope SB2 doesn't have a mechanics boss like Bardam. It's cool the first time you do it, but it's the exact same thing every time. There's no way to speed it up either. It doesn't help that you can just go afk and 90% of the time your party isn't too stupid to handle it. It really should have been part of a solo trial rather than repeatable content.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

We should have more weird mechanics bosses imo

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm fine on boss abilities for a while. Any new telegraphs and my brain might explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The new raid is just Number Munchers hosted by Construct 7