Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
... I shamefully admit that I never tried kiting monsters to other monsters to see what would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

quote:

thrown bokoblin

:eyepop:

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

superjew posted:

Or are there any lynel close to a hinox? :getin:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Chill Penguin posted:

... where do you get this quest??

I misremembered. It's the Flamebreaker armor you get for the 10 fireproof lizards, not the helm.

Please accept the nonsequitir observation that lizards you kill in the game never stop twitching as a bizzare apology.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

I misremembered. It's the Flamebreaker armor you get for the 10 fireproof lizards, not the helm.

Please accept the nonsequitir observation that lizards you kill in the game never stop twitching as a bizzare apology.

I didn't know you could kill the lizards.

e: although I should have because you can fish with bombs (or accidentally kill fish trying to get octoroks with bombs)

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

maltesh posted:

Oh my mistake- for some reason I thought the flamebreaker helm sounded like the equivalent of the thunder helm (element proof as opposed to just resistant) and got excited. I already have the full suit of fire-resistant armor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

superjew posted:

Are there any moblins close enough to a hinox to see if a hinox can pick up a moblin? I know there's one area with bobokin near one but I don't recall anyone being thrown.

Or are there any lynel close to a hinox? :getin:
I don't think they'll throw other enemies, but if you get up on a wall or a high ledge when fighting high-level hinox, but they don't lose sight of your yet, they'll actually reveal an extremely rarely seen ranged attack. They dig up some bomb barrels and toss them at you.

Funnily enough, throwing bombs is usually the hinox' signature ability in the series.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hynox may not throw other monsters, but they will knock the poo poo out of Guardians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJxh93Tuhrc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hynox may not throw other monsters, but they will knock the poo poo out of Guardians

Lmao holy poo poo!!

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Beautiful. It flies like one of those squids from the matrix.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

love how all of the guardian's legs immediately go limp. got knocked the gently caress out

it also looks like the hinox wasn't purposely attacking the guardian? it looks like the hinox went into its animation for "grab a tree club" and the guardian was between the tree and the hinox's hand and the clipping just loving thrashed it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah it’s pretty much a “wrong place at the wrong time” for the guardian and the Switch just did what it could in that situation haha

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

*TF2 Scout Voice*: Boink

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blaziken386 posted:

I found it, but mostly ignored it because, with the lack of equipment upgrades & pieces of heart, there's literally no reason to do any sidequest

... Because shield surfing is fun and that minigame gives you a nice long course to shield surf on.

Christ, Skinner boxes were a mistake.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Silver Falcon posted:

... Because shield surfing is fun and that minigame gives you a nice long course to shield surf on.

Christ, Skinner boxes were a mistake.
1) gently caress you with the "skinner boxes" comment, my complaints come from the fact that minigames in every other zelda game have had some kind of gameplay benefit.

2) It's free to just surf down the loving hill if I want, if I'm paying money to try and beat a certain time limit or whatever, I expect at least a half-decent reward for it. Not wasting the player's time is Game Design 101.

You know what's a fun shield surfing minigame? The one in the desert, leashed to a sandseal. You know, the one that also unlocks a shrine. It's fun, and it has a point, what a novel loving concept.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lmao

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Blaziken386 posted:

Not wasting the player's time is Game Design 101.

actually game design 101 is "make the game fun to play" and if you don't get that then "skinner boxes were a mistake" is a pretty valid response

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your time is never wasted if you’re having fun

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

because of course :kingsley:

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

I like it when the moblins throw the bokoblins. The first time it happen i was surprised b/c a silver one got launched at me real quick

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blaziken386 posted:

1) gently caress you with the "skinner boxes" comment, my complaints come from the fact that minigames in every other zelda game have had some kind of gameplay benefit.

2) It's free to just surf down the loving hill if I want, if I'm paying money to try and beat a certain time limit or whatever, I expect at least a half-decent reward for it. Not wasting the player's time is Game Design 101.

You know what's a fun shield surfing minigame? The one in the desert, leashed to a sandseal. You know, the one that also unlocks a shrine. It's fun, and it has a point, what a novel loving concept.

What I took umbrage was your take that there is "literally no reason" to do something that doesn't award a piece of heart or whatever. Like, unless you get your shiny trinket that satisfies your lizard hindbrain, nothing is worth it.

Ya know that cliché about it being about the journey? That. Sometimes a thing can be fun for its own sake. Christ.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Silver Falcon posted:

What I took umbrage was your take that there is "literally no reason" to do something that doesn't award a piece of heart or whatever. Like, unless you get your shiny trinket that satisfies your lizard hindbrain, nothing is worth it.

Ya know that cliché about it being about the journey? That. Sometimes a thing can be fun for its own sake. Christ.

okay, lemme put this in simpler words for you. You can surf down the mountain all you want. It's there, and if that's your bag, you can go for it, all on your own drat volition.
My issue with the minigame, is that there's a NPC squatting on the top of the mountain, who says "hey, pay me money and race down the mountain, beat my record." It's the same part of the game you can already do for free, but there's an implicit cost and challenge to it. The cost should be worthwhile. It's not. There's nothing to be gained from this NPC that you can't already do or don't already have.

In, say, Majora's Mask, you can go swimming as Mikau, exploring the ocean. That poo poo's fun and enjoyable, and great for relaxing and killing time. But! If you go talk to the Beavers. and beat their record, you unlock an empty bottle. The same gameplay, in a new area, with a reward that justifies the upfront cost that the NPC is shaking you down for. It's great.

This has none of that. Everything you're paying rupees for, you can already do. There's zero incentive.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
isnt there gambling minigames in the first zelda? not huge rewards there either...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Molybdenum posted:

isnt there gambling minigames in the first zelda? not huge rewards there either...

Those took one second

But yes

The BotW mini games would have been better with a meaningful reward but they are completely optional and some people really enjoy winning them. It's a game, enjoying it is the reward.... Much like BotW

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's starting to sound like I made the right choice in just going for Hyrule Castle and seeing what happened

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only wrong choice in this game is to do something in an unfun way under the mistaken impression that you don't have any alternatives.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bongo Bill posted:

The only wrong choice in this game is to do something in an unfun way under the mistaken impression that you don't have any alternatives.

weeelllllll i find the idea of not seeking out hestu asap to be vaguely nightmarish??? (he says, grasping for any thin counterexample he can find)

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

weeelllllll i find the idea of not seeking out hestu asap to be vaguely nightmarish??? (he says, grasping for any thin counterexample he can find)

I do find it surprising that he only appears in that one spot. I'm glad I followed the story for the first few hours because he pops up on the way to Kakariko.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I wound up looking up how to find Hetsu, because on my first playthrough, I wound up losing the recommended path and stumbling into Kakariko through the southwestern exit, having had some harrowing encounters with mounted bokoblins and Guardian Stalkers along the way.

Skratchez posted:

I didn't know you could kill the lizards.

e: although I should have because you can fish with bombs (or accidentally kill fish trying to get octoroks with bombs)

Yeah, I didn't start experimenting with killing lizards until I'd completed the Trial of the Sword and had zero-durability-cost Master Sword beams available.

The way the game treats the animals that stay whole after you kill them is a bit odd.

Fish, snails and crabs die if you put them in inventory. It doesn't seem to be suffocation; a fish dropped by an amiibo onto dry land or chased into too-shallow water will keep flopping forever.

Lizards and Frogs remain alive in the Materials Inventory. I suspect they'd do so even if you killed them first.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 21, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I never realized how many lizards live under rocks! Lift rocks, people.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Someone looked at the runes in the BOTW2 trailer and noticed they're symbols from the Gerudo alphabet and they spell out in English "Seal Ganon"

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

OhFunny posted:

"Seal Ganon"

Dis game gon' b gud

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

:five:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pooch516 posted:

I do find it surprising that he only appears in that one spot. I'm glad I followed the story for the first few hours because he pops up on the way to Kakariko.

I originally got to Kakariko by climbing in the back way, and that was after a fair bit of wandering round in the mountain ranges both sides of Duelling Peaks. I didn't find Hestu until I decided to wander along the route the king recommended and see what was there. No regrets.

I love that such important mechanics are so easily missed. You don't follow the king's advice? Do without useful stuff unless you're lucky enough to run into it accidentally, hero!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I think the only side quest I've not enjoyed in this game so far is the one where you have to follow the message down the river. The "reward" is seeing a creepy Hylian hook up with a Zora literal actual child. wtf?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Inu posted:

I think the only side quest I've not enjoyed in this game so far is the one where you have to follow the message down the river. The "reward" is seeing a creepy Hylian hook up with a Zora literal actual child. wtf?

“She’s actually 18!”

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah. I know I've said it before, but.... I think there is some interesting storytelling potential in a relationship like that, between two races with really disparate life spans and how that would all play out, but A) doing it tastefully would be an almost impossibly difficult tightrope to walk, and B) it's not worth it even trying, since it really has nothing to do with anything.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You could also tell basically the same story with a pair of 60 year olds and it would be waaaay less creepy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OhFunny posted:

Someone looked at the runes in the BOTW2 trailer and noticed they're symbols from the Gerudo alphabet and they spell out in English "Seal Ganon"

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blaziken386 posted:

okay, lemme put this in simpler words for you. You can surf down the mountain all you want. It's there, and if that's your bag, you can go for it, all on your own drat volition.
My issue with the minigame, is that there's a NPC squatting on the top of the mountain, who says "hey, pay me money and race down the mountain, beat my record." It's the same part of the game you can already do for free, but there's an implicit cost and challenge to it. The cost should be worthwhile. It's not. There's nothing to be gained from this NPC that you can't already do or don't already have.

In, say, Majora's Mask, you can go swimming as Mikau, exploring the ocean. That poo poo's fun and enjoyable, and great for relaxing and killing time. But! If you go talk to the Beavers. and beat their record, you unlock an empty bottle. The same gameplay, in a new area, with a reward that justifies the upfront cost that the NPC is shaking you down for. It's great.

This has none of that. Everything you're paying rupees for, you can already do. There's zero incentive.

What if I told you the rupees in Zelda have no real world monetary value and none of this matters