Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol such a big accident that state media posted a video of it with dramatic music.

https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1141765503075196929

Also

https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1141613706159243264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I know I'm asking for quite a bit but have wars historically been started over something so inconsequential?

It's a drone, not a person or a citizen.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tab8715 posted:

I know I'm asking for quite a bit but have wars historically been started over something so inconsequential?

Wars have been started because someone had a weird dream.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Freaking great. Just what the world needs another war and another economic recession.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Does the drone receive a post humanous merit of honor?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tab8715 posted:

WW1 started because the guy driving Franz Ferdinands car drove down the wrong street and stopped next to the deli where the assassin was having a sandwich

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

WW1 started because the guy driving Franz Ferdinands car drove down the wrong street and stopped next to the deli where the assassin was having a sandwich

Someone was intentional killed. An actual leader.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Someone was intentional killed. An actual leader.

franz ferdinand was, while not strictly speaking nobody, not actually that important. he was the expected next emperor of Austria-Hungary, but they had plenty of backups.

some lovely princeling got shot by some random serbians, and so Europe lost a generation of men.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Depends on whether one side desperately wants to start a war and is just looking for the first vaguely plausible excuse they can find. There have been times where wars have been started over far less, and there have been times when far worse happened without leading to war or even to escalation. In each case, what mattered wasn't the actual event itself, but the attitudes and relations of the countries before the event.

World War I was technically a result of the shooting of Franz Ferdinand, but the real cause of the war was that most of the major European powers had been waiting for years for a good opportunity to start a war that they thought would realign the balance of power in their favor. Austria had wanted to end Serbia for years; they just needed a decent excuse so they could claim they weren't the aggressor (for diplomatic reasons). Germany wanted a general European war. France and Russia and Britain wanted a war with Germany. The "powder keg" was that everyone desperately wanted to go to war with everyone else, but wanted a suitably ambiguous excuse so they wouldn't be seen as the one starting it.

For other examples, the Anglo-Soviet Invasion of Iran started because the British demanded that neutral Iran expel all Germans from their country, and Iran refused. If that sounds like a ridiculous demand, that's because it was - the intention was to either destabilize Iran's neutrality or provide an excuse for invasion, since Iran's strategic geographical location made it extremely desirable for the Allies.

On the other hand, Israeli forces attacked a clearly-marked US warship during the Six-Day War, killing dozens of Navy sailors, and the US ignored it because they weren't interested in conflict with Israel.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 20, 2019

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Grouchio posted:

"I have a feeling that someone under the command of that country made a big mistake," he said. "I find it hard to believe it was intentional. It could have been someone who was loose and stupid who did it." - Trump (who is either backing down or doubling down hard on the drone)
This almost feels like Trump (or someone who told Trump what to say) giving the Iranian government a diplomatic out on the drone shootdown (blame an individual or a small group rather than the Iranian govt taking responsibility), although since both the US and Iran have basically already shredded the nuclear deal I kinda doubt Iran will take it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, Israeli forces attacked a clearly-marked US warship during the Six-Day War, killing dozens of Navy sailors, and the US ignored it because they weren't interested in conflict with Israel.

They didn't ignore it. There were investigations by both the US and Israel which concluded that it was not intentional. Not very comforting for those attacked or the families of those killed, nor for people who enjoy spending years building up conspiracy theories, but friendly fire is a thing that happens in war, within the same military as well as between the militaries of different countries.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They didn't ignore it. There were investigations by both the US and Israel which concluded that it was not intentional. Not very comforting for those attacked or the families of those killed, nor for people who enjoy spending years building up conspiracy theories, but friendly fire is a thing that happens in war, within the same military as well as between the militaries of different countries.

Plenty of senior officials have dismissed those findings as political expedient and utter nonsense however.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

uh I got the sense on the radio this evening that Trump and the US government are pretty pissed about the drone shoot down. . . Seems like there's a lot of pressure to retaliate somehow, hopefully if there is retaliation it won't be of the lethal kind.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

forkboy84 posted:

Plenty of senior officials have dismissed those findings as political expedient and utter nonsense however.

I'm not getting into this discussion again. Either way, the US did not ignore it, which is the claim I was responding to. They didn't just pretend it didn't happen. Israel also ended up paying restitution after restitution for it, to the families of the dead, to the wounded, and then for material damage to the ship.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double post for news:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1141896028314095622

WELP! :smith:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
In Navy SEAL War Crimes Case, Key Witness Says He Killed Captive ISIS Fighter

Like a scene from a courtroom genre, the key witness in the war crimes trial of a NAVY SEAL (which can do no wrong) dramatically recanted his testimony and said HE was the one to kill the captive ISIS prisoner. Despite saying he saw the psychopath Gallagher do it in multiple other statements, and conveniently after he was granted immunity from prosecution.

The jury, being the chumps they are, are going to fall for this and let another one of our boys off to fight another day of mass murder and psychopathic torture.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

They're just being dramatic. This whole poo poo is just both Iran and US doing the bare minimum to show that they're SUPER SERIOUS this time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

forkboy84 posted:

People (even unnamed "senior officials") doubting an official finding does not make that finding false. It doesn't make it true, either, but that's not what you're attempting to argue here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I won't expect war until I hear reports of bases mobilizing in the states.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chuka Umana posted:

In Navy SEAL War Crimes Case, Key Witness Says He Killed Captive ISIS Fighter

Like a scene from a courtroom genre, the key witness in the war crimes trial of a NAVY SEAL (which can do no wrong) dramatically recanted his testimony and said HE was the one to kill the captive ISIS prisoner. Despite saying he saw the psychopath Gallagher do it in multiple other statements, and conveniently after he was granted immunity from prosecution.

The jury, being the chumps they are, are going to fall for this and let another one of our boys off to fight another day of mass murder and psychopathic torture.

The witness and the dude who are on trial were both SEALs in the same unit. :eng101:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I am a little concerned about a snap general, if only because the government will be headed by someone who knows from the Brexit referendum and the MEP elections that he can cheat his blubbery arse off and no institutions will stop him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

I am a little concerned about a snap general, if only because the government will be headed by someone who knows from the Brexit referendum and the MEP elections that he can cheat his blubbery arse off and no institutions will stop him.

Wrong thread?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tab8715 posted:

There was a war over some dude’s lost ear

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blubbery arses are universal.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Possibly related, also :wtf:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1141904368356220929?s=20

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I'm 100% sure that's true and that just leaked to Haberman by Trump to make the administration look SUPER SERIOUS.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have family in Iran, this is really scary.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I have family in Iran, this is really scary.

One of my good friends moved back to Tehran after grad school and she just had a baby. Her Instagram feed is just full of pictures of her playing with her baby/kid.

:(

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Somehow I don't think Trump actually wants to start a war right now, but someone on Twitter will challenge his manhood over "pulling back", and this will literally start a war.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the administration is playing "I'm not touching you!" in the hope of Iran hitting back and providing a cassus belli they can use to override domestic opponents.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

caps on caps on caps posted:

Somehow I don't think Trump actually wants to start a war right now, but someone on Twitter will challenge his manhood over "pulling back", and this will literally start a war.
Watch @getfiscal start a loving war.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

I think the administration is playing "I'm not touching you!" in the hope of Iran hitting back and providing a cassus belli they can use to override domestic opponents.
I'm pretty sure this is what's going on. It's part of the same bag of psyop tricks complete with planted stories in the "paper of record"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Have some fun and put yourself in the shoes of an IRGC intelligence agent. Don't get any crazy ideas now but just think about it from the Iranians' perspective. Well, you might think the Yankees are trying to bait your rear end but you're smart and not a sucker because you're used to surviving in a world where you're the No. 1 desired meal by its biggest, baddest predator.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If they haven't purged competency out of the Air Force, then the U.S. response, if anything, is going to be too blow up Iranian poo poo in Syria

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I feel bad for any US pilots who fly recon flights. I think that's the next escalation. Bolton and Pompeo are going to authorize a manned recon flight over a very well defended area of Iran or somewhere in the Persian Gulf. It won't be a drone that geta downed this time, but a manned spyplane. That will be the last straw for the "administration". Some poor pilot is going to get shot down so these warmongers will finally have the justification they need to start a war.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Charliegrs posted:

I feel bad for any US pilots who fly recon flights. I think that's the next escalation. Bolton and Pompeo are going to authorize a manned recon flight over a very well defended area of Iran or somewhere in the Persian Gulf. It won't be a drone that geta downed this time, but a manned spyplane. That will be the last straw for the "administration". Some poor pilot is going to get shot down so these warmongers will finally have the justification they need to start a war.

I'm waiting for the first troop warfighter to nope the gently caress out and offer to land their plane at an airfield of Iran's choosing in exchange for five million in cash and a one way ticket to a country with no extradition treaty.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly I feel like if the US provokes Iran into full war footing by doing even a limited bombing campaign they can kiss their Middle East interests goodbye. Iran is going to want blood and the only real way for them to be contained is if the US goes nuclear. War with Iran will absolutely topple the great American empire.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Apparently US planes were in the air about to strike Iran, but Trump pulled them back at the last minute.

quote:

WASHINGTON — President Trump approved military strikes against Iran in retaliation for downing an American surveillance drone, but pulled back from launching them on Thursday night after a day of escalating tensions.
As late as 7 p.m., military and diplomatic officials were expecting a strike, after intense discussions and debate at the White House among the president’s top national security officials and congressional leaders, according to multiple senior administration officials involved in or briefed on the deliberations.
Officials said the president had initially approved attacks on a handful of Iranian targets, like radar and missile batteries.
The operation was underway in its early stages when it was called off, a senior administration official said. Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down, the official said.

Asked about the plans for a strike and the decision to hold back, the White House declined to comment, as did Pentagon officials. No government officials asked The New York Times to withhold the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/world/middleeast/iran-us-drone.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The press is getting played, per usual. Now there's this narrative circulating among those who believe what the newspapers say that Tucker Carlson is the one man holding Trump back from the brink. Because Trump is a madman, don't you know? He's just so gosh-darn unpredictable and crazy and folks better watch out!

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1141947970109050882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I just don't get what anyone saber-rattling stands to gain by a war with Iran, do they really believe they could pull off a "quick regime change" and not have another Iraq situation on their hands, or be responsible for a nuclear wasteland? The only thing I see is profits from arms deals and oil fields... Oh God it's really just this, right? :ohdear: