Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

There’s also an engine semi-local for $125. $400 DR650, some assembly required (ha no the engine looks loving sketchy)

Actually, hell. I do kind of want a DR650. Someone talk me out of this self-harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a pre 96 Dr so you are in for a fresh hell of parts availability and mod compatibility.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

It's a pre 96 Dr so you are in for a fresh hell of parts availability and mod compatibility.

I would have never guessed that was a thing, thank you.
Anyways, I’m about wrapped up on what I can reasonably do to my DRZ400, so I’m definitely now looking for another project to keep me distracted. There’s several DR650s and SV650s up for around $2k or so, older GL1000s at $1k or less, and then a couple cheap VX800s? Anyone know anything about those? I listened to a video of one and they sound terrific, they’re that v-twin I’ve been missing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you've never owned an SV650 you should try it out, they're, imo, the best compromise between cruiser and sportbike ever, and they sound amazing with a good exhaust.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah but if I got something highly modifiable like an SV650 or GS500 I would do weird, stupid ADV things to them because I hate myself. Same with the DR650, but that’s actually kind of in line with its purpose.

The VX800 or (naked) GL1000 I would probably just enjoy for what it is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

Yeah but if I got something highly modifiable like an SV650 or GS500 I would do weird, stupid ADV things to them because I hate myself. Same with the DR650, but that’s actually kind of in line with its purpose.

The VX800 or (naked) GL1000 I would probably just enjoy for what it is.

yeah, sv650 or gs500...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvL6_CsH90A

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
since we still don't have a CL thread:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
We have a cl thread. It's called "latest good ads in your area" or something. Nobody posts in it which is sad because weird motorcycle ads are my fav.

That Grom is dumb, and nobody will buy it. Especially dumb since the kymco spade exists and is better in all ways.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I got my motorcycle license the other day. Craigslist looks kind of grim. Bikes around 300cc for 3k or less seem to be mostly dirt bikes, or bikes which may or may not have been crashed. Also people want cash.

I was thinking of getting a Honda CB300R. I don't have any experience with a street bike, aside from the motorcycle safety class I recently took. I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid for 3 or 4 years, but that was at least 16 years ago.

I'm not sure what sort of information is helpful. I would use the bike to commute at first, just to get practice, but my commute is only 2 miles. Primarily I intend to go riding out on the nearby mountain roads, which I guess is what most people here do?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You seem surprised that they all want cash. Were you hoping to pay in seashells?

2 mile commute isnt enough to warm up the bike and probably not great for it. Just bicycle to work.

Where are you and what is your seashell budget that we can search your Craigslist for the appropriate ex250/supermoto/dual sport?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Haha yeah I guess wanting cash isn’t weird now that I think about it. I’ve only ever bought cars from dealers before, so I’m just used to the idea of signing some paper and walking away with a car.

I’m in San Francisco. If buying used I don’t really want to spend more than 3k, especially if the plan would be to get a different bike in a year or two after getting enough riding experience.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The cb300r is a really tiny bike, make sure it’s going to be comfortable before deciding on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

San Francisco in the summer is like the worst possible market to buy a motorcycle. Expand your search out to as far as Fresno and Reno and you'll find lots of stuff for maybe half what it's going for in the city. you have to be willing to get yourself out there and then walk away if the bike isn't what you expected, but the other side is that you can save a lot of money if you put in the effort. Your decision.

For the record, I have never bought a motorcycle that was located less than 50 miles from my home.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I drove 4 hours from Seattle to go look at a bike, and luckily it was the one I ended up buying.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

San Francisco in the summer is like the worst possible market to buy a motorcycle. Expand your search out to as far as Fresno and Reno and you'll find lots of stuff for maybe half what it's going for in the city. you have to be willing to get yourself out there and then walk away if the bike isn't what you expected, but the other side is that you can save a lot of money if you put in the effort. Your decision.

For the record, I have never bought a motorcycle that was located less than 50 miles from my home.

I bought a goldwing that was only 20 miles away once. But it was a parts bike and had no title.
I think of the 20-something motorcycles I've had, there's only been one that I bought "locally." The rest have been anywhere from an hour to 14 hours away.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I did a 16 hour round trip to buy a bike.

Twice. :smugdog:

Seriously, don't do this. You have to be able to walk away if you need to.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

The cb300r is a really tiny bike, make sure it’s going to be comfortable before deciding on it

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 155lbs, so maybe that is a good thing. I haven't seen one in person yet. I wish I could remember which bike I rode at the MSF class for comparison.

Sagebrush posted:

Oof, that's pretty far away... I don't have a truck, or even an SUV, that I could use carry or tow the bike back. I'd have to take a friend with me and ride back. Is that advisable? I took a quick look at Fresno's craigslist which looked similar.

I was talking to my neighbor who has a CB360. He suggested either buying new or going to LA; he agrees with your assessment of the SF market. The LA craigslist definitely looked more promising, but same problem of getting the bike back, and even farther. He mentioned he knows a guy who has a CB125 he was selling for around 1k. I'm not sure if I want to deal with a 30+ year old motorcycle with only a 125cc engine, but if it's only 1k, that might be worth considering?

I should probably get a helmet first so I can actually ride some bikes and help know what I want. :shobon:

edit: spelling

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2019

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should be fine for your size

I sat on one and the dealer made fun of me so I got the interceptor lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I did a 16 hour round trip to buy a bike.

Twice. :smugdog:

Seriously, don't do this. You have to be able to walk away if you need to.

The truly insane part is you made the whole trip in one 24-hour period the second time.

I've done two fly-and-rides to buy bikes. I would do it again provided the bike wasn't Italian, and even then I might if it was a recent model Ducati. Both were ~500 mile trips in a single day, and if I have to ride that distance the next time I'll split it up into two days or more and make a leisurely long weekend out of it.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 155lbs, so maybe that is a good thing. I haven't seen one in person yet. I wish I could remember which bike I rode at the MSF class for comparison.

Oof, that's pretty far away... I don't have a truck, or even an SUV, that I could use carry or tow the bike back. I'd have to take a friend with me and ride back. Is that advisable? I took a quick look at Fresno's craigslist which looked similar.

I was talking to my neighbor who has a CB360. He suggested either buying new or going to LA; he agrees with your assessment of the SF market. The LA craigslist definitely looked more promising, but same problem of getting the bike back, and even farther. He mentioned he knows a guy who has a CB125 he was selling for around 1k. I'm not sure if I want to deal with a 30+ year old motorcycle with only a 125cc engine, but if it's only 1k, that might be worth considering?

I should probably get a helmet first so I can actually ride some bikes and help know what I want. :shobon:

edit: spelling

I started riding on a cbr250 and I'm 6'4. You'll be fine, it's a perfectly capable little bike, and the extra 50cc from the 300 will help shifting big guys like us. I even took mine on track and had a ball.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Barnsy posted:

I started riding on a cbr250 and I'm 6'4. You'll be fine, it's a perfectly capable little bike, and the extra 50cc from the 300 will help shifting big guys like us. I even took mine on track and had a ball.

Same, started on a tricolor and it was absolutely a good choice. I’m also 5’8 and at the time was about 140. Ergonomically it was great.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Kawasaki protection plus, is it worth it?

Thinking no, but for 4 years it's $594. Which is only about $12 a month so I guess it could be considered cheap insurance in the chance some poo poo breaks.

My limited warranty expires next month.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've been off bikes for about six years now and I'm starting to get the itch again. My father-in-law let me have a go on his TW200 and I quite enjoyed it. I don't want to ride the thing on the highways and I don't have the room for a proper bike trailer, but a co-worker showed me that hitch racks for dirt bikes are a thing and now I'm seriously considering buying a 200 of my own.

The only real problem is I live near Seattle and the used market is completely insane. There's very few listings in general, and if there are people want $3500 for a salvage title. Is it worth watching the classifieds for a cheaper bike in the PNW, or should I just grab one new?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you're going full dirt bike, get a dirt bike, not a t-dub, they're cheaper and they ride better off road there are plenty of deals in the area, like this older YZ

If you want a dual sport, look out for a Husky FE-250/350/501 or KTM XCW (that's the equivalent, right?) Which can handle highway speeds and trails.

Make sure you check out FB marketplace too, there's some deals on there, keep your eye out every day, the good poo poo goes quick, it's the overpriced bullshit that never sells that clogs up the classifieds.

Let me know if you need any help or anything, I'm out on the Kitsap Peninsula.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

If you're going full dirt bike, get a dirt bike, not a t-dub, they're cheaper and they ride better off road there are plenty of deals in the area, like this older YZ

If you want a dual sport, look out for a Husky FE-250/350/501 or KTM XCW (that's the equivalent, right?) Which can handle highway speeds and trails.

Make sure you check out FB marketplace too, there's some deals on there, keep your eye out every day, the good poo poo goes quick, it's the overpriced bullshit that never sells that clogs up the classifieds.

Hmm, I’ve been off Facebook for years, didn’t even think to try it, thanks.

I’m definitely leaning more towards a small dual sport. It needs to be street legal, some of the rides my father in law wants to take me on are mixed trail and road. The TW appealed for how simple it was.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Keep in mind that in Washington State anything can be street legal if it has lights and mirrors.

T-dubs are cool, but there are much better dual sports these days, something like this will be better on and off road, comes with top-of-the-line suspension etc. There's a ton of 250-450cc dual sports from the big-four that will be able to do highway driving and be good off-road too, there's a ton of Hondas that people love and you'll never have to touch besides oil/wear items.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2018-Honda-CRF250L-ABS-5007239690

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Suzuki-DR-Z-400S-5008191036

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-Yamaha-XT250-5004181285

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-Yamaha-TW200-5003949793

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Yamaha-WR-250R-5005177679

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-Kawasaki-VERSYS-X-300-ABS-5006956393

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-Honda-XR650L-5005571191

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Agree with the others- Might as well get a proper dual sport. Especially if you’re getting it registered in Seattle. I’ve had more fun on my WR250R than bikes that cost many times over. There’s so many great ones out there- DRZ, WR, CRF-Ls, and even more very usable average ones that will be comparable in price to a TW but way more versatile and can do highways just fine. All of these will also do fine on a hitch carrier.

Once fully enlightened, find a set of sumo wheels and transcend to an even higher plane (of fun). Or go moto camping/touring on a small dual sport. It’s great.

More Seattle moto goons!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

EXC-F, fwiw, for KTM. XCF-W are also plateable often but depends on the state and I don’t know about WA.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

WA is hilariously lax, put DOT tires, all required lights, and mirrors on anything you want, 4-stroke, 2-stroke, 50cc, doesn't matter, fuckin zip-tie the plate to your rear fender and off you go, I could get some LEDs off Alibaba and plate my 140L if I wanted to and also had a death wish.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

BabelFish posted:

I've been off bikes for about six years now and I'm starting to get the itch again. The only real problem is I live near Seattle and the used market is completely insane. Is it worth watching the classifieds for a cheaper bike in the PNW, or should I just grab one new?

Seattle goon with a street legal WR250f here. I dont do highway speeds since its the F model and not geared for 70mph but I get out on the dirt and in the mountains often. I rode a TW200 for my MSF course and I liked it but its a utility farm bike, not a true dual sport. The above mentioned options (WR, DR, CRFx/L) would all be better choices and definitely more capable both on and off road. The TW200 is smooth for cruising around town but doesnt have a ton of power or suspension travel of the other options.

The market here is pretty big but you have to cast a wide net and include nearby areas and be willing to drive. There are a lot of bikes for sale but usually in the areas that actually get ridden. It seems like the dirt bike crowd lives mostly outside the city. Include portland, bellingham, and some of the smaller eastern cities as well. Also look into facebook marketplace where there are a couple dirt bike and quad selling groups that require joining to see whats for sale. Everyone now a days seem to sell everything on Craigslist and facebook. The prices here do seem kind of high (coming from the midwest) but thats the PNW and there seem to be a lot of options out here. If you can afford new, go for it but then you know you're not buying someone else's problems. If you need to buy used, just prepare to look at bikes and wait for the right one to come along with the fewest obvious problems.

Let me know if you need any help looking for bikes or if you buy one and want to get out riding. Always looking for riding partners.

Elviscat posted:

Keep in mind that in Washington State anything can be street legal if it has lights and mirrors.

Two mirrors, headlight, tail/brake light, DOT tires, turn signals, horn and you have to get it inspected (usually $100) and passed to get a street legal title. Luckily the previous owner of my bike did it right before I bought it so I didn't have to mess with it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 21, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Double post because I'm stupid.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Hmm, this is great info, thanks guys. I'd been researching the CRF205L before and liked the idea of something in that class. I'm decidedly average height so seats above 35 inches concern me a bit, I should go see if I can find a place to sit on a WR250f, CRF250 and XT250 back to back.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
I’m 5’8” with a 32 inseam. First time I got on my WRR (37” seat height) it was super intimidating- I couldn’t flat both feet, and felt so high up. It lasted a few days. You’ll learn that these bikes are relatively light, and you can scooch your butt off to one side and get stable and one foot flat quite easily.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah don't let seat height limit you. I rock 30" legs and dirt bikes are not problem. Like the poster above says, these are light bikes so tiptoes isn't that bad, and it's not hard to hang a cheek off and get one foot down flat.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

If a 5'5" dude can manhandle a 600lb R1200GS you can deal with a 300lb dirt bike at average height

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I sat on a bunch of bikes today and I think I'm going to try for an XT250. I liked the lighter weight. I felt comfortable on the CRF250l, but the XT was just a better fit.

Are crate damaged bikes worth considering? One of the nearby dealers has one for $600 off. Then again I'm going to be in eastern WA next weekend anyway and this is even cheaper and undamaged. Just need to find a trailer to haul it.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 23, 2019

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 4, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

New rider here. About to do my ministry approved M2 course. I've got an eye on what I'd like to pick up. I'm fairly firmly set on a Kawa Ninja 250R, 2008+ since I really dislike the styling of the previous gen. Question is mainly about whether, as a new rider, there is anything about a newer 2011-2012 that should make me favour those years over something older. Average price for a 2009 on autotrader and kijiji seems to be hovering about 2-2.2 CDN claimed undropped/well cared for/etc. 2011-2012 seems to go for 2.6-3+.

Aside from the obvious fact that a 2009 would have been ridden 10 years vs 7 for a 2012 (and I'm not really convinced that those three years make as much of a difference as, say, buying a 2017) is there any reason I should look at something 2011+ versus a 2009?

In my heart I want to end up with a 2011 special ed white

but being my first bike I'm fairly okay spending less on a colour I don't love as much and spending the extra few hundred on maybe something nicer gear-wise.

Word salad, hopefully some of that makes sense.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Get the bike you actually want imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

mewse posted:

Get the bike you actually want imo

Agreed.

You're going to be on it for at least a couple of years. Best to enjoy it.