Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Russia and Iran have only been theory crafting how to sink a carrier battle group for decades

Yeah but Russia's been doing their damnedest to sink their own CVBG for the last few years and only managed a mission kill so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Jesus gently caress.

https://twitter.com/desiderioDC/status/1141905155417395201

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I have idiots on my Facebook ready to go to war over a loving drone. It's almost like people don't think of the actual human costs of war. It's also almost like people are loving idiots.

Can you ask them how many drones equal an A300?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That drone had family

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That would explain why there was a flurry of activity at work tonight.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Thank goodness Trump is a huge loving coward when push come to shove.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

We are going to stumble into a stupid, bloody war with Iran eventually and it’s one that the cockroach historians that live in melted permafrost will someday identify as one we could have easily avoided by not being stupid.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ABC's position: https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1141909846373089281

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Thank goodness Trump is a huge loving coward when push come to shove.

Don't hold you breath, I full expect to wake up to news that he announced some kind of strike VIA twitter while I sleep tonight.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus loving christ

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

He is constantly in a state of threatening to light a really big fuse on a really big explosive charge, and keeps dropping his arm to light it, then backs off every single time. My worry is that eventually he trips and lights it by accident.

To continue my metaphor, it appears that someone was smart enough to give him a really long fuse and a nearby bottle of water.

Fun.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

gently caress me I have 18 months til I retire......

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm glad we didn't throw ourselves into another war but I'm not thrilled that we have yet again demonstrated that the use of our military power is an empty threat

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its really weird this iranese posturing now. Us was the one to pull out from the nuclear deal, while eu was keen on continuing business. What does Iran have to gain from this?

I aknowledge that my opinion is very tinfoil, but maybe there is some inside power struggle in iran and none of the actions in gulf have been sanctioned by the leadership? Wouldnt they have more to gain continuing to Buddy up with the eu?

Disclaimer: im a dumb dumb with only superficial knowledge from the news.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Just to play devil's advocate, what's the cost to the US of an air only campaign over Iran? Like sure, a surprising (to the media and public) number of planes go down, but what stops us from doing that indefinitely without a ground invasion that results in cargo holds full of caskets?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

gently caress can the aliens just land because we're loving up too badly for the experiment to yield useful data already?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just to play devil's advocate, what's the cost to the US of an air only campaign over Iran? Like sure, a surprising (to the media and public) number of planes go down, but what stops us from doing that indefinitely without a ground invasion that results in cargo holds full of caskets?

There is nothing stopping Iran from shutting down shipping to and from the Gulf if we launch any kind of campaign against them.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Fallom posted:

I'm glad we didn't throw ourselves into another war but I'm not thrilled that we have yet again demonstrated that the use of our military power is an empty threat

Yeah dude totally people don't respect the US military I tell ya

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Its really weird this iranese posturing now. Us was the one to pull out from the nuclear deal, while eu was keen on continuing business. What does Iran have to gain from this?

I aknowledge that my opinion is very tinfoil, but maybe there is some inside power struggle in iran and none of the actions in gulf have been sanctioned by the leadership? Wouldnt they have more to gain continuing to Buddy up with the eu?

have you been huffing glue?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Iran got ready for this poo poo after Desert Storm. After years of war with Iraq they were pretty worn out; but they saw what happened in 90/91 just like everyone else. The entirety of the list of potential US adversaries collectively gulped and started spending money.

I was wondering what was the step between
1) The last time Iran fought a conventional war (if using WWI strategy and tactics, and a literal Children's Crusade in the 1980s is conventional war) was a disastrous clown-show clusterfuck.
and
3) OHMYGOD the Iranian superarmy will wipe up the battlefield with us if we go to war* with them.

Is there any evidence that Iran has fielded actual, modern and reliable equipment? Is there any evidence that they have restructured their upper military organization and strategic thinking, as well as their operational units' leadership and tactics?
Or is the concern not so much with Iranian warfighting, but more that an IED every 100m of the 1000 km to Tehran is going to figuratively and literally bleed us dry?

*still a bad, bad, idea

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Stravag posted:

gently caress can the aliens just land because we're loving up too badly for the experiment to yield useful data already?

its just getting interesting again for them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah dude totally people don't respect the US military I tell ya

That’s not what I meant and you know it. Nobody questions that the US military can flatten anything in front of it but they sure are questioning how effectively the administration can use it. Patterns of empty threats by capricious twitter leaders ain’t it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 21, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A finite number of aircraft, for one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

joat mon posted:

1) The last time Iran fought a conventional war (if using WWI strategy and tactics, and a literal Children's Crusade in the 1980s is conventional war) was a disastrous clown-show clusterfuck.
and
3) OHMYGOD the Iranian superarmy will wipe up the battlefield with us if we go to war* with them.

Is there any evidence that Iran has fielded actual, modern and reliable equipment? Is there any evidence that they have restructured their upper military organization and strategic thinking, as well as their operational units' leadership and tactics?
Or is the concern not so much with Iranian warfighting, but more that an IED every 100m of the 1000 km to Tehran is going to figuratively and literally bleed us dry?

*still a bad, bad, idea

1) They shot the drone down with a Buk system or Buk-derived system.

2) They're credibly believed to have developed a supercavitating torpedo from the Russian Shkval torpedo (this isn't terribly new but there's also not really any viable countermeasure beyond distance and hoping it misses)

3) Iran does not need to field a comparable conventional army to quickly kill/injure thousands of US sailors/airmen and land a bigger punch on the US than pretty much any adversary since that time John McCain almost sank the Forrestal. The Iranian Army and IRGC aren't supersoldiers by any measure but they aren't the palace guard corps jokers most people think of when they picture a mideast nation's military.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As the us continues to invest in better and better aircraft everyone continues to invest in shooting them down. I dont know if a modern stealth plane has been tested against a newish missile or radar system. Weve been smashing unguarded dirt for a long time now

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

*still a bad, bad, idea

Well they did just test their air defense missiles against an American aircraft! :haw:

But seriously, they have absolutely modern air defense systems and coastal ASCM batteries which include the supersonic SS-N-22 and SS-N-27, plus Kilo submarines. I don't know what their ground OOB looks like, but just getting the the point of putting the Army on the ground would involve loss of aircraft like we haven't seen since Vietnam and loss of warships like we haven't seen since WWII.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I assume an air campaign against Iran would result in a humanitarian crisis and the IRGC calling in favors against US personnel and assets around the world. The Naval support would be especially vulnerable to whatever tricks Iran has been stewing over the last few decades.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

and

*still a bad, bad, idea

Iran has been studying how we fight since Desert Storm (as anyone should have been.) They understand that they can’t defeat us conventionally, so their best option is to use asymmetric warfare to make the cost of war that much higher. Think of Hizballah starting trouble in northern Israel, Hamas escalating rocket attacks in southern Israel, Saudi Arabia’s Shia’ minority in Qatif attacking oil refineries, Shia’ stirring poo poo up in Bahrain, and that’s not even taking into consideration how they could gently caress up shipping in the Gulf.

Also, they likely wouldn’t have to survive a full scale invasion. All they’d have to do is wait for global public opinion to sour to the degree that the US can’t continue its campaign without serious ramifications for its relations with the EU and elsewhere. It’s not like we can’t mop the floor with conventional Iranian forces- we can for sure- it’s just that they can raise the cost of war to unacceptable levels even if it results in only a few US military casualties.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Really should've led with this and then stopped there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The iranese

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm honestly just wondering at what point the next Coalition of the Willing is against the US

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Just lol

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1141068275155161089

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Kind of hope some enterprising Egyptian makes their own version of the Sinclair supercut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWLjYJ4BzvI

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Fallom posted:

Why should the US threaten military action when their spy plan is shot down in Iranian airspace? And why would you be mad that his didn't happen....

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The iranese have sent an invasion force into pakistan.

Aljazeera.com: Millions of locusts from Iran have invaded Pakistan.
https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/millions-locusts-iran-invaded-pakistan-190620070741559.html

Lol. Iranese.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah Im ESL and had just woken up when I made the post. Shouldve probably left it at the Im a dumb dumb lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

joat mon posted:

and

*still a bad, bad, idea

I don't think anybody believes that Iran can win a conventional war with the US, only that the fight to destroy the Iranian armed forces will be much more bloody than the war against Iraq, and that the subsequent occupation will make Afghanistan look like a walk in the park.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/HansNichols/status/1142006406033395713

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I like how the thread is slowly siding into acceptance.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The giant 1866-vintage oil refinery in south philly is blowing the gently caress up, China-style

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...-511615281.html