Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Navy HM+Infantry wedding lol

So divorce in what, 100 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This girl also has a lip tattoo that says “Daddy” so I’d put the over/under at about a month

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I like how they TRIED To black out the names but didn't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Presented with minimal commentary, a no-poo poo threat briefing on incels, courtesy of Joint Base Andrews: https://taskandpurpose.com/air-force-joint-base-andrews-incels-threat-brief-2638921306.amp.html

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Presented with minimal commentary, a no-poo poo threat briefing on incels, courtesy of Joint Base Andrews: https://taskandpurpose.com/air-force-joint-base-andrews-incels-threat-brief-2638921306.amp.html

It may be about idiots but it seems currently topical.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

This article title pisses me off because the author does absolutely nothing to disprove that the cause is because she's an idiot--all she does is demonstrate that it is more common than one might expect. Which is to say, more people are stupid than one might expect.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dick Burglar posted:

This article title pisses me off because the author does absolutely nothing to disprove that the cause is because she's an idiot--all she does is demonstrate that it is more common than one might expect. Which is to say, more people are stupid than one might expect.

Yes. That's a very fun opinion to engage with after admitting that I dealt with it a lot and was bullied in military school for being "retarded".

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dick Burglar posted:

Wow, this is prescription-strength stupidity.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sorry, I'm a fuckhead. I'm pissed off about something completely unrelated and was a dick for no reason.

Don't post while drunk, and also don't post while mad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dick Burglar posted:

Sorry, I'm a fuckhead. I'm pissed off about something completely unrelated and was a dick for no reason.

Don't post while drunk, and also don't post while mad.

Don't post while mad drunk.

Do people still use mad as a modifier?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

In this case it appears to work both ways, so sure!

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

They let people in who have inhalers now? When I was in high school I was thinking about enlisting but that was a showstopper. Dodged a bullet in retrospect.

Lol pulled an all nighter studying and still failed Calculus so I’m definitely the idiot. Somehow found a better way to study chemistry in the midst of that but whatever.

Alright so they won’t let you join if you pull up to the recruiter all wheezy as gently caress but if you manage to get through MEPS, basic, tech school etc and are eventually diagnosed it depends on how bad it is or more importantly “how controllable the symptoms are”. It could end with you getting the boot it could end with you just being deployment limited. Honestly from what little I knew/remember from her case she probably would have been fine almost anywhere except for being forced to jog through one of the worst asthma symptom aggregating environments imaginable.

Ok to put a lighter side on this left/right poo poo I apparently started. So we were stuck with this guy driving a truck at Manas and the end of the road you could only go left ( the wrong way into a kill zone) or right (the entire side of the base) long story short it took three people pointing and screaming to keep this guy from getting us shot by some bored E-3. I feel like some nuance is lost in my telling but the story isn’t over and that part is what it is. Where it gets really interesting is this guy’s claim that being an AC-130 aerial gunner was as psychologically demanding as being a Navy SEAL. This piqued some people’s interest and after some questioning he said because it described maintaining noise discipline and being stuck in a dark confined place for long periods of time. We were confused how much noise discipline you need in a 4 propellor aircraft flying a half mile in the sky dumping an auto cannon into a house and it turns out he sucked at his job and the rest of the crew would make him sit silently tucked in a corner during missions lmao. Probably because he couldn’t tell his left and right.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 20, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Navy HM+Infantry wedding lol

Hahahahahhahahahahahaha MY PEOPLE. BOTH MY PEOPLES!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I dated a girl who’s brother couldn’t make it through MEPS in 2003.

He also threw a temper tantrum to the level where I was standing between him and his sister because she plugged the toilet by accidentally knocking a bar of soap into it.

I never called him Pvt Pyle, not that he would have gotten it.

E: The soap was in a soap dish on the back of the toilet, on the handle side.

E2: The reason he freaked out is because he couldn’t poop in public. Not sure if he failed out of MEPS because of that, the fatness, or one of his many other social defects.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 21, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gonna guess he tried to tell the inspecting doc all about his blue magic deck and why it's superior to all others.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The inspecting doc was more in the mood to stare at starfish all day long.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
You can fail MEPS? I thought it was just where they decided which waivers you were going to need.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fail MEPS. In 2003. Indeed. :staredog:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I was a fat, useless gently caress still in recovery from severe mononucleosis when I was conscripted ( :norway: ) in 2004, I made it through fine*. How the gently caress did he manage to get kicked out during MEPS in 2003? :cripes:

*5'9" / 260 lbs of mostly fat after mono hosed me good 1.5 years before, I lost 25 lbs in the first 6 weeks of basic and was in decent shape by the time I went to A-school to be a sonar operator :v:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

They kicked me out of MEPS my first time because the backpack I brought with me had a steak knife in one of the pockets which I didn't know about. They pulled me aside and asked me about the large knife in my bag then kicked me out onto the street.

My recruiter was pisssssssssed

The idiot is me for going back a couple weeks later and enlisting successfully.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lou Takki posted:

They kicked me out of MEPS my first time because the backpack I brought with me had a steak knife in one of the pockets which I didn't know about. They pulled me aside and asked me about the large knife in my bag then kicked me out onto the street.

My recruiter was pisssssssssed

The idiot is me for going back a couple weeks later and enlisting successfully.

I keep hearing about people getting in trouble at school or whatever for having a steak knife in their backpack accidentally. How does this keep happening?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

chitoryu12 posted:

I keep hearing about people getting in trouble at school or whatever for having a steak knife in their backpack accidentally. How does this keep happening?

where else do you keep steak knifes? :v:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Shi Shi sha!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I had last used the bag on a camping trip, and had a steak knife, and a carving knive as well actually now that I think about it. They were in a side pocket that I didn't think to open.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I had played the role of Admiran von Schriber in the Sound of Music. As part of my costume I had random fruit salad and some officer type rank insignia. Which I put in my backpack and forgot.

When I hit bootcamp and going through contraband search, dude pulls out this poo poo and looks at me asking exactly what I was doing bringing officer rank pins.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

i had some loose .22 rounds in my back pack I didn't find until after being in college for a year

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CainFortea posted:

I had played the role of Admiran von Schriber in the Sound of Music. As part of my costume I had random fruit salad and some officer type rank insignia. Which I put in my backpack and forgot.

When I hit bootcamp and going through contraband search, dude pulls out this poo poo and looks at me asking exactly what I was doing bringing officer rank pins.

D'oh! a deer, a female deer....

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i had some loose .22 rounds in my back pack I didn't find until after being in college for a year

My old man borrowed (more like appropriated) one of my backpacks a couple of years ago, he found some 9mm brass in it a few months ago. He's flown international with that backpack :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I flew all the way to Australia, going through two US airport checkpoints, halfway through my trip while hopping through some BFE airport, asking why they pulled my bag out I hear “mate you’ve got a fokkin knife in yer bag” and he pulls out a 3” knife on a side pocket I hadn’t touched since I was backpacking months before.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Yeah airport checkpoints find stuff like that on a daily basis.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They also miss something like 9 out of 10 weapons whenever they’re tested

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Internet Wizard posted:

I went though at least two airports (probably more, it was years ago) and literally around the would before, without any awareness of it being there or any attempt to conceal or hide it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I went though at least two airports (probably more, it was years ago) and literally around the would before, without any awareness of it being there or any attempt to conceal or hide it.

*Cough*

Allegedly

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Internet Wizard posted:

Got a source for that ?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Arban posted:

Got a source for that ?

A few quick results:

"TSA Misses 70% Of Fake Weapons But That's An Improvement"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2017/11/09/tsa-misses-70-of-fake-weapons-but-thats-an-improvement/amp/

"TSA missed 95 percent of weapons, explosives in security tests"
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tsa-missed-95-percent-of-weapons-explosives-in-security-tests%3f_amp=true

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Thanks. wonder if there are similar numbers for other countries or if it's just the TSA being crap at their job.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If the military idiots thread has taught me anything, it’s that incompetence knows no bounds of geography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I forget who it was, but I recall being told a story by someone who would test the TSA at airports by trying to get onto planes with drugs and stuff. They generally caught him at the x-ray, but multiple times he'd make it to the gate, ready to board a plane that he wasn't supposed to get on, and had to call security on himself.