Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

al-azad posted:

I don't know how anyone sat down to write the design document for Wild ARMs 4 and didn't immediately go

protagonist: Virginia, duh
graphics: exactly WA3

its a shame but raquel is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mill Village posted:

Maybe NIS wouldn’t be in their current situation if they didn’t keep coming up with new ways to screw over their employees.

You think?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Has anyone played Labyrinth of Refrain: coven of dusk? What is it like gameplay-wise ?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

Has anyone played Labyrinth of Refrain: coven of dusk? What is it like gameplay-wise ?

It's a dungeon crawler. Also, imagine puppets being eaten by lovecraftian horrors forever.

It has an interesting system with your skills being dependent on what room you put your puppets in, it reminds me a lot of Soul Nomad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ka0 posted:

It's like Etrian Odyssey with a main character that remote-controls parties with potentially multi-unit slots, and can unlock dungeon-traversal abilities that open up progression like in a metroidvania.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Holy poo poo well I'm off to the game shop again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/snakemommelissa/clip/GoodElatedKeyboardMrDestructoid

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Labyrinth of Refrain is one of those games I’ve really liked but got lost in a bunch of other releases. I really should beat it since they announced it’s getting a sequel.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DrManiac posted:

Labyrinth of Refrain is one of those games I’ve really liked but got lost in a bunch of other releases. I really should beat it since they announced it’s getting a sequel.
I wouldn't keep your hopes up too much what with what is going on with Nippon Ichi plus the fact that the game was delayed almost a year into Spring 2020. Also it's getting a Vita port instead of a Switch port, for some reason.

Ka0 posted:

Holy poo poo well I'm off to the game shop again.
The main thing I'll say is that if the story seems really off putting at first, just stick with it for a bit because it gets a lot, LOT better as it goes on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I wouldn't keep your hopes up too much what with what is going on with Nippon Ichi plus the fact that the game was delayed almost a year into Spring 2020. Also it's getting a Vita port instead of a Switch port, for some reason.

The main thing I'll say is that if the story seems really off putting at first, just stick with it for a bit because it gets a lot, LOT better as it goes on.

Yeah the early casual sexual assault stuff is really offputting.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wish NIS would stop with that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tired Moritz posted:

I wish NIS would stop with that.

They know their audience

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I mean in this case it's supposed to be intentionally off-putting, but at the start of the game it's very unclear what's going on with the story or what the hell the tone of the game is even supposed to be. It's not intended to be funny.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can't trust anything after that loving scene from that game

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Not sure which one that is but the mention of Makai Kingdom did remind me Seedle and Salome had a pretty messed up backstory in that one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

HGH posted:

Not sure which one that is but the mention of Makai Kingdom did remind me Seedle and Salome had a pretty messed up backstory in that one.

I am going to assume the one from Hundred Knight where an evil witch turns her mom into a frog to have it get raped by other frogs? Something like that.

But this is NIS. Probably could apply to any number of scenes.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ka0 posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, one point of advice I'd give is that for most of the game your ability to do major damage is very, very dependent on either fishing for critical hits or maxing out your attack magic, so make sure you set up your party to have characters who can do those things or else boss fights are gonna be slow and painful. There's a difficulty setting that you can adjust at any time by spending a modest amount of resources, so if the game starts to feel too easy or too difficult, you can dial it up or down.

As far as the writing goes, it's by the same team as Witch and the Hundred Knight but it doesn't spend quite as long wallowing in unpleasantness before giving you actual reasons to sympathize with some of its characters, so it's more bearable. You should still expect a lot of bad things to happen to people, some of whom deserve better.

Morpheus posted:

I am going to assume the one from Hundred Knight where an evil witch turns her mom into a frog to have it get raped by other frogs? Something like that.

But this is NIS. Probably could apply to any number of scenes.

it wasn't frogs, it was mice. i'm not proud that i remember this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the difference between messed up stuff in ps2 nis games and everything after is that ps2 nis games have some understanding of how to handle sensitive content and the later ones, don't

it's weird to think nis is the same dev that put out soul nomad and phantom brave given how low-key depressing and hosed up those games are without like, playing it for comedy at any point

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 20, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

soul nomad is actually a really good example of that because soul nomad is a game where you have a demon in your head constantly yelling the most hosed up stuff he can think of, and also the game has a subplot about children being sold into sexual slavery, and its smart enough to have gig shut up and be normal for five minutes when that subplot comes up because it knows if he piped up in his usual way itd be awful

modern nis games would 100% have him riffing on that stuff the same way he riffs on generic fantasy war and itd be the worst

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I guess NISA have figured out a way to be fine even with the imminent implosion of NIS, given that they keep announcing games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This also might be stuff they've been working on for a while, and are just announcing for release now.

Honestly, I hope NIS doesn't go under, or at least that they get bought by someone not completely poo poo, because I have a lot of good memories of their PS2 library; Disgaea, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle, etc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HGH posted:

What were they? Cause I don't remember them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

What were they? Cause I don't remember them.

If you mean what's their backstory

Seedle and Salome were both originally human. Seedle was a Samurai. He attempted to rape Salome, but she fought back, and ended up stabbing and killing him. She ended up burnt at the stake for it. Seedle took over whatever Underworld he ended up in. He also only shows up to give an assist because he knows if Zetta is in trouble, Salome will show up sooner or later.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you mean what's their backstory

Seedle and Salome were both originally human. Seedle was a Samurai. He attempted to rape Salome, but she fought back, and ended up stabbing and killing him. She ended up burnt at the stake for it. Seedle took over whatever Underworld he ended up in. He also only shows up to give an assist because he knows if Zetta is in trouble, Salome will show up sooner or later.

Jesus

Thinking about I can't remember much of Makai Kingdom's story. Just Zetta destroying his own Netherworld after getting owned by a book and having to rebuild it and then the chapter before the final one mostly being about fighting corn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Story aside, I think Labyrinth of Refrain actually has pretty mediocre gameplay too, for what it's worth. It has the classic NIS thing of focusing way more on complicated ways to level up your characters than it does on making the actual moment-to-moment gameplay at all interesting, except worse than usual imo. It's basically a sleep-inducing auto-battle fest.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That still puts it above most of Experience's output though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clarste posted:

Story aside, I think Labyrinth of Refrain actually has pretty mediocre gameplay too, for what it's worth. It has the classic NIS thing of focusing way more on complicated ways to level up your characters than it does on making the actual moment-to-moment gameplay at all interesting, except worse than usual imo. It's basically a sleep-inducing auto-battle fest.

Yeah that aspect is why I've stalled on the game. At a certain point fights aren't threatening and because of auto-recovery & the teleport spell resource management is never an issue. The only time I don't slam auto battle is when I need to have my tank defend. Boss fights are the only time I use spells and even then it just feels like it makes the fight end sooner, instead of being the difference between winning or losing.

I really wanna like it but the combat requires no thinking on my part and it's not fast enough, boo.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah that's all pretty true. I found it was pretty fun to mess around with optimizing stuff and breaking the mechanics horribly for a while though. And some of the super bosses keep you on your toes pretty well. But the last 1/3 of the game dragged pretty hard because random encounters are all paper thin and bosses are extremely random. Game doesn't really have interesting interactions like ailments/binds/combos/breaks in EO.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any general information or tips for Pillars of Eternity?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess NISA have figured out a way to be fine even with the imminent implosion of NIS, given that they keep announcing games.

when nis dies nisa becomes the main company

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
super neptunia rpg is out

how bad is it

theyre asking 50 for it lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agean90 posted:

when nis dies nisa becomes the main company

and when nisa dies nisb becomes the main company

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

The dungeon in the first town is very difficult for your level. You might want to come back. Likewise if you do a few quests in the opening area you're asked to assault a castle where the difficulty is all over the loving place. I would say do the main quest until you unlock your stronghold then branch off from there.

If you've played an Infinity Engine game before the same combat cheesing techniques apply. Use summons to soak damage and act as a physical barrier for ranged attackers. If there's a really hard encounter you can send one dude out to draw enemies back one at a time or set up choke points. Buffs and debuffs are more important than any direct damage dealing ability.

Lastly don't bother talking to any NPC with a gold name. They're backer rewards with bad flavor text and you can't remove them from the game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

super neptunia rpg is out

how bad is it

theyre asking 50 for it lol

Greenmangaming has it for $42 in a bundle with all the planned DLC.

It's a 2D RPG. I'm already starting to get frustrated with elemental slime enemies that heal with physical damage after 3 hours in.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Verranicus posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Pillars_of_Eternity

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

The dungeon in the first town is very difficult for your level. You might want to come back. Likewise if you do a few quests in the opening area you're asked to assault a castle where the difficulty is all over the loving place. I would say do the main quest until you unlock your stronghold then branch off from there.

If you've played an Infinity Engine game before the same combat cheesing techniques apply. Use summons to soak damage and act as a physical barrier for ranged attackers. If there's a really hard encounter you can send one dude out to draw enemies back one at a time or set up choke points. Buffs and debuffs are more important than any direct damage dealing ability.

Lastly don't bother talking to any NPC with a gold name. They're backer rewards with bad flavor text and you can't remove them from the game.

If I wait until I get the stornghold and come back do I miss any sidequests permanently or anything?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Verranicus posted:

If I wait until I get the stornghold and come back do I miss any sidequests permanently or anything?

No. There are quests that you can miss because they're hard to find, but I think stuff you can *miss* because you progressed the story too far doesn't come up until the end of Act 2.

Bee lining for the stronghold, getting all the party members you can at that point, and maybe hiring an extra adventurer to fill any missing niche in your party is a pretty good strategy.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 21, 2019

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

marshmallow creep posted:

No. There are quests that you can miss because they're hard to find, but I think stuff you can *miss* because you progressed the story too far doesn't come up until the end of Act 2.

Bee lining for the stronghold, getting all the party members you can at that point, and maybe hiring an extra adventurer to fill any missing niche in your party is a pretty good strategy.

Cool, thanks!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

NISA could come up with an Ar Tonelico pack, like the one they did for the Disgaea games on PS3 a while back. I never got into AT1 but I played a bit of melody of metafallica and it wasn't dreadful. Never saw the ps3 one in stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It'd be nice if publishers would realize how much they could make just porting old JRPGs to PC.