Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The story creator mode seems like a really cool thing - I wonder why they didn't make a bigger deal out of it. I haven't seen anywhere even mention it was added outside of the uplay screen and here.

Hopefully it's something they keep in future installments because it seems like it'd really extend the life of the game once people get comfortable with using it.

Its cool but limited, which maybe is why they aren't touting it more.

Hopefully this is them playing around with the concept and it'll be more integrated fully into the next AC.

Giving players good tools for adding content means TONS of free content, even if most of it is trash. Assassin's Creed could easily have Skyrim levels of mods if they gave us the proper tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm honestly shocked that they don't have enough voice acting from Kassandra and Alexios that they don't have the ability to synthesise every word in the English language

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's actually just 359 distinct intonations of malaka.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

It's actually just 359 distinct intonations of malaka.

Okay now I want to make a quest with extensive dialogue where your character only has the choice of saying malaka or malaka to everything the NPCs say

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The dialogue choices in the latter half of the game seem to mostly be deciding to tell people whether you are/aren't a god. And even though from watching Ghostbusters I know I should always say yes I can't bring myself to.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Lobok posted:

The dialogue choices in the latter half of the game seem to mostly be deciding to tell people whether you are/aren't a god. And even though from watching Ghostbusters I know I should always say yes I can't bring myself to.

You're kind of a god by like Level 20 tbh

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The story creator mode seems like a really cool thing - I wonder why they didn't make a bigger deal out of it. I haven't seen anywhere even mention it was added outside of the uplay screen and here.

Hopefully it's something they keep in future installments because it seems like it'd really extend the life of the game once people get comfortable with using it.

Its funny, I only earlier this year picked up Far Cry 5 in a deep sale and part of what sold me on it was every review touting the unlimited potential of the Arcade mode, so I figured hey, this game has been out forever, there's probably an incredible amount of content there by now!

There was about a dozen good maps, half of which were made by Ubisoft anyway and all that took about 10-20 minutes to finish, and then an unlimited amount of half-finished or poorly balanced garbage maps that someone had slapped together. Hitman is kinda the same way. Really, even if this new mode was available from the beginning and was much more expansive (and it probably will be in the next game) most user-generated content is gonna be something a bored kid hosed around with for half an hour then uploaded and immediately forgot about :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wolfsheim posted:

You're kind of a god by like Level 20 tbh

I basically am and supernatural beings clearly exist but I prefer Kassandra's go-to answer of "stop using religion as a crutch".

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I really wanted to like AC:O but I'm at the half-way point and the quests are grinding me down. Does the story pick up soon? Kassandra is the best MC I've played in a long time though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm not sure if it was the best idea for this leader to sic his guards on me for the heinous crime of walking past his house, because I was just going to go about my business and completely ignore him until his guards assaulted me. He eventually joined the melee himself and ended up in a pile of corpses in the middle of the street alongside all dozen or so of his men and two bounty hunters, which I'm sure will lead to some fascinating conversations down in the underworld.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Doc M posted:

I'm not sure if it was the best idea for this leader to sic his guards on me for the heinous crime of walking past his house, because I was just going to go about my business and completely ignore him until his guards assaulted me. He eventually joined the melee himself and ended up in a pile of corpses in the middle of the street alongside all dozen or so of his men and two bounty hunters, which I'm sure will lead to some fascinating conversations down in the underworld.

Yeah you feel that by level 50, after having murdered dozens of leaders and mercenaries all over Greece, they'd be a little more scared and worried about you (the renowned misthios with flaming swords and almost literal God armor that killed thousands of people, both evil and innocent alike, who sails the waves on Poseidon's own back and fucks more people than Zeus itself) rather than "GET HER GUARDS I'M SURE THIS WILL GO WELL FOR US"

If you're doing this at the beginning of the game, it kind of makes more sense... and congrats, you're off to a good start :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My Kassandra is level 21 at the moment so she's not quite an invincible super murder goddess yet, just a mostly invincible regular murder goddess. :v: Still, you'd think that the leader would run for the nearest hills as soon as he sees his most buff bodyguard die in seconds, instead of joining the fray and going "Right, she might have killed all of my men without breaking a sweat, but I'LL GET HER WITH MY TINY USELESS KNIFE"

That's actually one thing I quite liked in the old Assassin's Creeds, enemies would try to escape when they realized they were completely hosed against Ezio or Altaïr.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I just finished Episode 2 of Fate of Atlantis. Loved seeing everyone again--Brasidas, Phoibe, even the Cyclops.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I just finished Episode 2 of Fate of Atlantis. Loved seeing everyone again--Brasidas, Phoibe, even the Cyclops.

I wanna know what goody two-shoes could possibly resist kicking Elpenor off a cliff to Tartaros one more time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alder posted:

I really wanted to like AC:O but I'm at the half-way point and the quests are grinding me down. Does the story pick up soon? Kassandra is the best MC I've played in a long time though.

The story never picks up. You need to decide if you enjoy the core gameplay or not cause that's all there is.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just finished Freedom Cry. gently caress.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The amount of content and detail in Odyssey is just staggering. I don't know how Ubisoft does it but I can't count how many times I've just been running around the world and saw something that just floored me as everything in the environment came together. I probably have double digit hours in this game just walking around looking at things in the cities and watching NPCs doing their thing without accomplishing anything. I'm sure it helps that I love the setting and time period as well.

It's sad that many people are burned out on the series and might just see Odyssey as just another assassin's creed game because it's a pretty amazing achievement from a technical standpoint and by far my favorite game in the series so far.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah odyssey is amazing how much content they've made in a single game, including all the dlc.

Speaking of I finished AC3 remastered and man what an awful game. The 100% sync requirements seem harder than usual and it's just a dull world and I eventually just fast traveled to the next mission point.

I'm working my way through Liberation remastered (on ps4) and that game feels much better though it's crashed 5 times on ps4. It's clearly a smaller experience and I appreciate restarting checkpoints for 100% sync and not entire missions. I think I'll 100% this game then take a break from AC for a while.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arbite posted:

Just finished Freedom Cry. gently caress.

Right? Using slaves as a sort of currency was pretty hosed up from a mechanics perspective.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The amount of content and detail in Odyssey is just staggering. I don't know how Ubisoft does it but I can't count how many times I've just been running around the world and saw something that just floored me as everything in the environment came together. I probably have double digit hours in this game just walking around looking at things in the cities and watching NPCs doing their thing without accomplishing anything. I'm sure it helps that I love the setting and time period as well.

It's sad that many people are burned out on the series and might just see Odyssey as just another assassin's creed game because it's a pretty amazing achievement from a technical standpoint and by far my favorite game in the series so far.

I agree, I know some people are fans of AC but for me the game being an AC game made me hold off and avoid it for a long time, until it was on sale. If it was just Open World History Game: Greece Edition I'd probably have bought it at launch.

The engine and technical things they do really are amazing.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just being able to climb basically anything in the world made this series much less of a pain in the rear end to play. No more scaling towers looking for the one brick out of all of the bricks you can actually grab hold of to progress higher.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Odyssey's main experience mostly just needed the fat trimmed off to be truly, truly excellent, but I def feel they were held back by corporate gunning on how to monetize things. But the world and it's detail is astounding, and I got no small amount of joy wondering through all these great temples and just seeing people talk about the gods. :unsmith.

I also wouldn't mind a more...historical fantasy take on things. Ditch the genetic memory stuff, and the ancient aliens and just have things be mystical.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I agree that the main narrative could have been 50% shorter and it would have provided a much tighter experience yet I've also done literally everything this stupid game has to offer, sometimes more than once. :negative:

Don't judge me.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I agree that the main narrative could have been 50% shorter and it would have provided a much tighter experience yet I've also done literally everything this stupid game has to offer, sometimes more than once. :negative:

Don't judge me.

I will most likely get to an hour count like yours as well. I think I'm 90+ already and I've only killed about 30% of the cultists.

I completely forget the preset day stuff exists in these games until they jarringly take you out of the story once in a while but at least this time around it doesn't seem like it happens that often. I think I've seen present day stuff maybe twice so far in almost a hundred hours but I'm doing a ton of side stuff.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I cant wait to get into this game but I finished Unity last week and now I need a break from ubi open world games for awhile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

I cant wait to get into this game but I finished Unity last week and now I need a break from ubi open world games for awhile.

Origins and Odyssey are SO much better than Unity.

Although I wish they had co-op.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zaphod42 posted:

Origins and Odyssey are SO much better than Unity.

Although I wish they had co-op.

I played Origins and liked it a lot, but Unity wore my rear end out with all the meaningless content that makes my brain itch until I make it disappear from the map; I’m waiting until July to play Odyssey so my brain can reset.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Don't judge me.

This is also me and I haven't even finished the game. I took a break because I was spending pretty much all my free time (yay being unemployed) playing it and I didn't want to get burned out before all the DLC came out. But yeah, I can respect Ubisoft wanting to draw out the game and make it something you'd want it to come back to. But I honestly think that they should make the world tighter and smaller so they can do what Hitman did and have elusive targets in these tightly designed areas for you to navigate rather than have massive worlds where they can just dump a bunch of stuff in.

I can appreciate a really nicely written mission that does the heavy lifting to make up for the fact that it's mechanically weak. But I wouldn't mind something that was mechanically really fun and involving. All I have to say is that the next game better have a good a protagonist as Kassandra. It's criminal that she (seemingly) is just a one-game protagonist.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If only they had done odyssey first, learnt all their lessons and put them into origins. origins settings and story is superior but the technical advancement in odyssey doesn’t allow me to go back to origins. and odyssey is gorgeous and great but just not quite as good even though it’s technically a bit better

walking thru the canyons in origins was stunning.

boat riding is so boring

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Malaka, just killed a man
Put a spear against his head
Pulled it through and now he's dead
Malaka, life had just begun
But now I've gone and thrown it all away

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

I also wouldn't mind a more...historical fantasy take on things. Ditch the genetic memory stuff, and the ancient aliens and just have things be mystical.
This is literally ubisoft's next game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Amppelix posted:

yeah, so is it a breath of the wild clone? because thats the vibes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Amppelix posted:

Which game are you referring to?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3ywkzYK-Y

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just being able to climb basically anything in the world made this series much less of a pain in the rear end to play. No more scaling towers looking for the one brick out of all of the bricks you can actually grab hold of to progress higher.

I agree about the tower scaling in the older games but there was something to be said choices when it came to running away from guards, running through crowds and trying to find a path for parkour along the sides of building.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sweet, thanks!

I'm in.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Amppelix posted:

Yeah it looks hella fun. I hope it's not incredibly open world, but that's asking a lot from Ubi. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Finished the family storyline with the best ending (I love how goofy Alexios and Stentor are in the epilogue), and now I'm stabbing my way through the Cult of Kosmos with just a few more dudes to go. I'm still having a great time for the most part, although I'm starting to feel a bit of sidequest fatigue and basically go "oh goddamn it" whenever I hit a new region and see more exclamation marks pop up. I haven't even touched the Lost Tales of Greece missions yet, let alone the DLC content, so I'm pretty sure this playthrough is going to take close to 100 hours.

Despite her title, Iocasta the Seer was somehow not able to see that standing on the edge of a large cliff with your back turned might not be the greatest of ideas. :getin:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Someone recommended One Really Really Bad Day as a quest line so thanks for that. I've finished the main quests of the game and I'm not going for the platinum but I am going through some of the remaining quests and challenges that sound interesting and I might have skipped that one if I hadn't heard of it beforehand.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is the Fate Of Atlantis DLC done, now? I've been waiting on all the DLC coming out to dip back into Greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i walked to makedonia and accidentally genocided a couple villages of women that aggroed me on sight what's the deal