Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

If you’re level 70 you should be able to just solo the Odin trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

It's also only gonna get easier in a week when we're 10 levels higher.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I have 60 tome-stones to burn what is the hardest to get on the list?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Worth mentioning that Zantetsuken does not drop from the instanced fight so if you absolutely need a spooky vanishing sword in your life, get grinding (or watch the Shroud like a hawk).

Tormented posted:

e: Off the top of my head, I'd say the Pegasus mount is probably the biggest pain in the rear end to get your hands on. 100 brass spoils from the Diadem is suffering, since about the only way you can reliably get it done is by flying around looking for treasure chests. The Answers orchestrion scroll is another potentially solid pick, as it's made out of a bunch of other songs and one of them (T9's) is an utter chore to get unless you've got a couple friends ready to soak the oneshot mechanic in that fight. Maybe one of the beast tribe mounts if you're really desperate to have one but refuse to just do the dailies?

Whatever you do, don't waste your tomes on the riding maps or primal mounts. They're already trivial to get the normal way, and they're about to get easier with the 5.0 changes to hunt marks and 10 more levels to break instances with.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 21, 2019

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are 4 beast tribes for combat classes in ARR (sylphs, amal'ja, sahagin, and kobolds). In HW and SB there are two each, Vanu Vanu / Vath, and Kojin / Anata.

There's 1 crafter tribe in each set as well, and the SB Namazu also work with gatherers.

Does the xp on them scale to level, or do I need to do the HW tribes for 50-60 leveling?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ort posted:

Does the xp on them scale to level, or do I need to do the HW tribes for 50-60 leveling?

it doesn't scale, so the latter

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
You can get zantetsuken from the odin fate as well so the only reason to grind the tomestones is if it you need it or the barding NOW and dont want to wait for the fate

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Tormented posted:

Probably the Diadem mount/minion (not the hunting hawk, buy that on the MB for cheap, the other one).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The barding you can grab from just doing the random Odin fate once. The gear you can just get better glamour versions of it from doing the odin trial. Its really easy to do these days unsynced.

Oh, yeah, using it for a Glamour is what I wanted, so good to know.

Is there any reward from the event that is unique/otherwise unobtainable?

E: is there a way to track the Odin FATE other than sitting in game all day?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
There's a special weather that occurs when it's up, tension. Other than that, I don't know of any way to specifically track it. But you can always just pop into the shroud (any of the areas) and if there's tension, he's up somewhere in the shroud.

Edit: also note that he doesn't appear on the map until he's engaged, I think, so even if there's tension, you still have to run around all areas of the shroud looking for his rear end.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 21, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_F69gYLJw

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's always at least three days (I think? Unless they reduced it) after he's defeated before he appears again. Usually when he does somebody will mention in hunt LS / novice chat / FC / whatever that Tension weather is up, so no need to spend every waking minute in the Shroud waiting for him.

His weather status was originally called Oppression but they changed it for some reason.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Why does the catgirl have four ears

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Annath posted:

Oh, yeah, using it for a Glamour is what I wanted, so good to know.

Is there any reward from the event that is unique/otherwise unobtainable?

E: is there a way to track the Odin FATE other than sitting in game all day?

The only event reward that's unique is the namazu earrings. The magic bucket is also semi-rare in that normally you can only get it if you're a fisher.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Why does the catgirl have four ears

Normally anime artists just draw the cat ears on the head, and hair is explicitly drawn to cover where the human ears would be. This is to not restart the great debate, if Neko-girls have two or four ears and save hundreds of otuku lives.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You only ever see the other ears as she's transforming from a normal girl into a cat girl.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tormented posted:

Normally anime artists just draw the cat ears on the head, and hair is explicitly drawn to cover where the human ears would be. This is to not restart the great debate, if Neko-girls have two or four ears and save hundreds of otuku lives.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm back to this game after a long break. I'm a White Mage level 57 that never finished the Heavensward's content. The pre order doesn't give me the current expansion until the next one launches but at 57, I think I won't miss much since the release is so close.

I checked the thread's OP and did some google searches but I can't find a few answers that I were hoping you guys would know. Of course the first story mission I do since I'm back bring me to Cid who then tells me to talk to the NPC standing beside him and it's for a duty finder. Healing group content is not the first thing I want to do now that I'm back.

1. As a White Mage, is there a way to have 2 hotkey bars setup so I can quickly switch from "Quests DPS" to "Proper Healer"?. I think I used to manually switch all icons from one bar to the other.
2. In the same general area, I remember losing spells or spell ranks in the Duty Roulette and franctically (when you spawn in the content and then everyone rushes and get killed because you don't have healing spells...) having to visit my skills to put lower ranks back on my bar since my current ones weren't available. Is the game still like that?
3. What should I do now that I'm back? I forgot most of the things you can do in this game. Should I focus on story quest to go through Heavensward and then Stormblood (when it gets added to my account soon) as soon as possible and then slowly get used to the game again (Grand Companies, Daily Roulettes, sending your bank guys on missions?, etc...)?. I feel overwhelmed and don't want to get discouraged real quick. This game is so huge and has so much content...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For #1 there is using macros but I cant remember the specifics offhand. If no one else has posted better info I’ll say more when I get home.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And if you wanna be really cool/needlessly complicated, you can set up a macro button that hides hotbars you stick your job buttons and other rarely used things in. :v:

I enjoy making stupid macros for my HUD.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're not that complicated actually.

pre:
/micon "Misc"
/hotbar Display 6 Toggle
/hotbar Display 7 Toggle
pre:
/hotbar display 1
/hotbar display 2
/hotbar display 3
/hotbar display 4
/hotbar display 9
/hud "status effects"
/hud "parameter bar"
/bm
I've been thinking of figuring out a better one that dynamic reassigns actions to a single set of hotbars and you can just keep pressing the macro button (which itself gets swapped out every time you push it) to cycle through various "pages" (combat jobs, crafters/gatherers, emotes/misc junk, etc). I just have to figure out if things other than job actions can be assigned on the fly like that via macros (especially other macros).

Or I’ll dig up some old posts I made and hope they help without reading too closely

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hemish posted:

1. As a White Mage, is there a way to have 2 hotkey bars setup so I can quickly switch from "Quests DPS" to "Proper Healer"?. I think I used to manually switch all icons from one bar to the other.

At proper gearing you should be holy'ing or throwing rocks as much as you're healing so you might want to figure out key binds that work for both purposes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hemish posted:

2. In the same general area, I remember losing spells or spell ranks in the Duty Roulette and franctically (when you spawn in the content and then everyone rushes and get killed because you don't have healing spells...) having to visit my skills to put lower ranks back on my bar since my current ones weren't available. Is the game still like that?

This isn't a thing anymore. For SB every spell was tweaked so that when you got an upgraded version you instead get a trait that upgrades it, so you don't need two buttons for the same spell. It'll just automatically un-upgrade/de-grade when you're level synced.

There's an outlier or two, like SMN's Ruin 2 (which fills a different niche) but for WHM's your bar should be set once you cap out.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 21, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EponymousMrYar posted:

This isn't a thing anymore. For SB every spell was tweaked so that when you got an upgraded version you instead get a trait that upgrades it, so you don't need two buttons for the same spell. It'll just automatically un-upgrade/de-grade when you're level synced.

As someone who is currently leveling WHM I just want to tell you you're wrong and this isn't how it works for the healing spells WHM has.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's exactly how it works. Healing spells don't replace eachother because none are upgrades of eachother. Damage spells, which are direct replacements, do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's exactly how it works. Healing spells don't replace eachother because none are upgrades of eachother. Damage spells, which are direct replacements, do.

That's not what he said though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah it is

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

IcePhoenix posted:

That's not what he said though.

EponymousMrYar posted:

That is what he said. For every spell that gets an upgraded version, you get a trait that replaces it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's cool but he's directly replying to a post about healing spells. Perhaps the op didn't know that cure ii isn't actually a "direct upgrade" to cure i! Context matters y'all.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

That's cool but he's directly replying to a post about healing spells. Perhaps the op didn't know that cure ii isn't actually a "direct upgrade" to cure i! Context matters y'all.

Yes and? WHM still doesn't have to rummage through their skills to put things back on bars in low level dungeons, the spells that upgrade through traits automatically delevel and the ones that don't just get turned off. Which was what the question was.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Draxion posted:

Yes and? WHM still doesn't have to rummage through their skills to put things back on bars in low level dungeons, the spells that upgrade through traits automatically delevel and the ones that don't just get turned off. Which was what the question was.

Then probably make sure OP knows this instead of saying "nah all your spells will just change as they level up" when they post this:

Hemish posted:

2. In the same general area, I remember losing spells or spell ranks in the Duty Roulette and franctically (when you spawn in the content and then everyone rushes and get killed because you don't have healing spells...) having to visit my skills to put lower ranks back on my bar since my current ones weren't available. Is the game still like that.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Gona post my cat because I think I finally got reshade filters somewhere I like them?!

There is still some pixellation around the face that is annoying me though :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

That's true, I assumed that was known.

Coming SHB it'll be even less a problem though because a healer's bars without heals will be... pretty darn small :v:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Xun posted:

Gona post my cat because I think I finally got reshade filters somewhere I like them?!

There is still some pixellation around the face that is annoying me though :(

How do you get the game to look this good?

As for the skills talk, thank you for the quick exchange of replies. I can live with spells deleveling themselves and the others just being disabled. No need to dig up Cure I instead of Cure II at the start of a dungeon for example because it's not available sure sounds better than what I remember.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hemish posted:

How do you get the game to look this good?

As for the skills talk, thank you for the quick exchange of replies. I can live with spells deleveling themselves and the others just being disabled. No need to dig up Cure I instead of Cure II at the start of a dungeon for example because it's not available sure sounds better than what I remember.

I've been loving around with reshade and various presets and forks of it and eventually settled on a fork called espresso.

https://mobile.twitter.com/espressolala?lang=en

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is there any other MNK weapon like Suzaku's Pinions that actually replaces the glove slot for armor? I've been trying to put together a good glamour that uses that weapon but I can't quite find any chest pieces that have sleeves that work for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is there any other MNK weapon like Suzaku's Pinions that actually replaces the glove slot for armor? I've been trying to put together a good glamour that uses that weapon but I can't quite find any chest pieces that have sleeves that work for it.

You only have a little more time to get them but the Makai Fists from PVP do and look rad.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Hemish posted:

The dissention in the replies was because there are some spells that at first glance seem like they should be upgrades, but actually aren't. The Cure spells are an example of such. Cure 1 heals less but is more MP efficient; Cure 2 heals more but is very MP inefficient; Cure 3 is an AoE heal. You shouldn't take off Cure 1 when you get Cure 2, they fill different niches. Similarly for your Medica spells, 1 is a slightly larger heal but that's all it does, while 2 is a slightly weaker heal but also applies a regen effect. (Arguably you shouldn't ever cast Medica 1 but that's outside of the point I'm trying to explain.)

The Stone spells, on the other hand, just replace each other, and whichever one is level-appropriate for you will be automatically placed in whatever hotbar slot you have a Stone spell in, because they all do the same thing.

Aero's tricky, it does both. 1 gets upgraded to 2 automatically because that's just a better version, but then 3 is an AoE, so you want to keep both 2 and 3 on your hotbars.

Everything that gets upgraded automatically does so via traits, which you can check in the actions & traits menu. But generally speaking, if something doesn't get an automatic upgrade, you want to keep it on your hotbars.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Zack Ater posted:

(Arguably you shouldn't ever cast Medica 1 but that's outside of the point I'm trying to explain.)
Medica 1 + Assize = Medica 2 (mostly) all at once :colbert:

Also it's good practice in order to not spam medica 2 all of the time because medica 2 is expensive.

Also also it casts slightly faster if you ever want to get all three stacks of confession for fat plenary heals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

The dissention in the replies was because there are some spells that at first glance seem like they should be upgrades, but actually aren't. The Cure spells are an example of such. Cure 1 heals less but is more MP efficient; Cure 2 heals more but is very MP inefficient; Cure 3 is an AoE heal. You shouldn't take off Cure 1 when you get Cure 2, they fill different niches. Similarly for your Medica spells, 1 is a slightly larger heal but that's all it does, while 2 is a slightly weaker heal but also applies a regen effect. (Arguably you shouldn't ever cast Medica 1 but that's outside of the point I'm trying to explain.)

The Stone spells, on the other hand, just replace each other, and whichever one is level-appropriate for you will be automatically placed in whatever hotbar slot you have a Stone spell in, because they all do the same thing.

Aero's tricky, it does both. 1 gets upgraded to 2 automatically because that's just a better version, but then 3 is an AoE, so you want to keep both 2 and 3 on your hotbars.

Everything that gets upgraded automatically does so via traits, which you can check in the actions & traits menu. But generally speaking, if something doesn't get an automatic upgrade, you want to keep it on your hotbars.

Isn't it a huge waste to cast Medica II if the regen is already up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?