Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drat it we really are living in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Working smarter, not harder.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

To be honest, that's one of the few legit uses of a Segway I've ever seen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phanatic posted:

Lots of times when cops are involved and there's strong political pressure to appear to be Doing Something, a DA can get an indictment and then just punt. He's just charging for political appearances, he's not vigorously prosecuting a cop who broke the law. Then the jury finds the cop not guilty and the city can shrug and say to people "Well, we tried, take it up with the jury" even though they really didn't. But in this case even a DA who vigorously prosecutes these charges isn't on good ground. Here's the arrest warrant:

My favorite is when the DA prosecutes the cop in an intentionally incorrect charge, the defense requests and is granted a motion to dismiss, and the DA says "welp, our bad, sorry but we can't try again due to double jeopardy laws too bad"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

My favorite is when the DA prosecutes the cop in an intentionally incorrect charge, the defense requests and is granted a motion to dismiss, and the DA says "welp, our bad, sorry but we can't try again due to double jeopardy laws too bad"

That's not how double jeopardy works.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Proteus Jones posted:

Strange that the DA thought it is though.

Edit: here we are, I misremembered slightly.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-police-detective-manslaughter-trial-0421-met-20150420-story.html

quote:

Judge Dennis Porter ruled that prosecutors failed to prove that Dante Servin acted recklessly, saying that Illinois courts have consistently held that anytime an individual points a gun at an intended victim and shoots, it is an intentional act, not a reckless one. He all but said prosecutors should have charged Servin with murder, not involuntary manslaughter.

Servin cannot be retried on a murder charge because of double-jeopardy protections, according to his attorney, Darren O'Brien.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 21, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That's a statement from the defense attorney tho, they'll say anything. Like this one saying the 11 year old his client raped and gave chlamydia to was catfishing his client and therefore deserved it.

Edit: wait, why are we discussing this in the osha thread?

duz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 21, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

duz posted:

Edit: wait, why are we discussing this in the osha thread?

Cops are always a threat to your workplace.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm genuinely impressed!

Also, this thread's had ACAB derails before and they just wind up with probs, bans, and mods telling everyone to knock it off. Let's get ahead of that this time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Working sma-

Yawgmoth posted:

Working smarter, not harder.

Damnit!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kibayasu posted:

Working sma-

Damnit!

Post faster not last....er.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
That is truly cyberpunk.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

With sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stjrkrxmLgk

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

So do you think they'll put the fire out soon or do they have to let it linger

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kesper North posted:

or do they have to let it linger

In every possible way.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Kesper North posted:

I don't think they can "let" it do anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kesper North posted:

Seems like they're having troubles

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

spankmeister posted:

drat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spankmeister posted:

This is a deep cut.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn't it based on how it was dismissed? Like dismissed with prejudice is the judge saying "don't come back" and it'd be double jeopardy, and dismissed without prejudice is "your case is dumb come back when you've got something stronger"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

Isn't it based on how it was dismissed? Like dismissed with prejudice is the judge saying "don't come back" and it'd be double jeopardy, and dismissed without prejudice is "your case is dumb come back when you've got something stronger"?

That's not even the same type of law! You're thinking civil law, which is lawsuits.

Double jeopardy means you can't be tried for the same crime more than once. It's to prevent harassment of people by the government by repeatedly arresting someone and forcing them on trial, which could be used to keep them imprisoned indefinitely if you want by just going back and trying them again for what they were arrested and imprisoned before trial for. You get one shot at proving someone guilty, then that's all.

There are a number of exceptions, though. Multiple sovereign entities can prosecute someone for the same crime; if you get declared not guilty by a state court, the feds can put you on trial again and vice versa. You can also obviously be retried if you got acquitted because you bribed the judge and a soldier acquitted by a civilian court for a crime can still be court martialed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't wait for the USCSB video and an episode of the Causality podcast on this one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kibayasu posted:

Working sma-

Damnit!

It’s also in the title of the Imgur page.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

That's not even the same type of law! You're thinking civil law, which is lawsuits.

Double jeopardy means you can't be tried for the same crime more than once. It's to prevent harassment of people by the government by repeatedly arresting someone and forcing them on trial, which could be used to keep them imprisoned indefinitely if you want by just going back and trying them again for what they were arrested and imprisoned before trial for. You get one shot at proving someone guilty, then that's all.

And this also means that the elements of the crime need to be unique. Like, if you prosecute someone for murder because of his actions, and he's found not guilty, you cannot then decide to charge him a second time with the lesser charge of manslaughter for the same actions.

quote:

There are a number of exceptions, though. Multiple sovereign entities can prosecute someone for the same crime; if you get declared not guilty by a state court, the feds can put you on trial again and vice versa.

This used to be something that rarely came up, because the Federal government had relatively few criminal statutes. Now there are so many Federal laws that it's unlikely an act that violated state law didn't also violate something the Feds can charge you with if they're sufficiently motivated. A SC case just upheld this separate sovereigns doctrine, and Ginsburg and Gorsuch were the only dissents.

quote:

You can also obviously be retried if you got acquitted because you bribed the judge

Because in such a case you were never really in jeopardy in the first place, it was just a sham trial.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeI_BpAfr8

The number of times these guys do something stupid (or start wondering aloud if they just did something potentially lethal because they don't know how any chemicals actually react) is terrifying. I love it.

What would be the fumes they breathed in from the mixing process?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

And this also means that the elements of the crime need to be unique. Like, if you prosecute someone for murder because of his actions, and he's found not guilty, you cannot then decide to charge him a second time with the lesser charge of manslaughter for the same actions.

This here is also why you have DA's agonizing over whether to charge with Murder or Manslaughter.

We can definitively prove manslaughter, but getting a conviction on the full "homicide" is flimsy at best, but man, a conviction for murder would look wayyyyy better than just manslaughter, but, also, if we don't get it, that's it. We can definitely get manslaughter, but the punishment won't be as severe, should we just Hail Mary it for the murder? - A DA. Probably.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Platystemon posted:

It’s also in the title of the Imgur page.
Let the record show that I thought of that incredibly clever post without looking at the imgur page, mostly because imgur is where people go to post when they've been banned from 4chan and reddit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

There are a number of exceptions, though. Multiple sovereign entities can prosecute someone for the same crime; if you get declared not guilty by a state court, the feds can put you on trial again and vice versa. You can also obviously be retried if you got acquitted because you bribed the judge and a soldier acquitted by a civilian court for a crime can still be court martialed.

Also a mistrial allows for a new trial.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yawgmoth posted:

Let the record show that I thought of that incredibly clever post without looking at the imgur page, mostly because imgur is where people go to post when they've been banned from 4chan and reddit.

Imgur is where people think it is a social media site and don't realize that imgur is an image host

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

LifeSunDeath posted:

My official doctrine:

You have impeccable taste.

4 words: Streets of Rage Remake

Officer CockKnuckle
Feb 18, 2007

I know this is a year old, but im just reading threw this thread now.

I worked on a Walmart reno crew, what they are using to move that counter is called a scorpion, it's purpose built to do exactly what they are doing. its got some cast metal support bars that clamp onto the uprights, run underneath to support it. Theres one for every upright. A set of wheels is then put on each side, on each support and a ratchet is used to jack it up off of the ground and just on the skates. Then you can push that poo poo every where, 2 people could have moved that counter if it was going the other direction. The only reason they have a person on each handle, is so the thing moves straight and doesnt buckle.

Seriously, for moving a counter, they are the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQaj96QWr0o

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s not a counter, though? :confused:

I can recall one counter I’ve been to that wasn’t permanently attached to the floor, and that’s because it’s a boutique that the proprietor brings to conventions.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
OSHA AF. Hearing protection and all. :3:

Edit: I have no clue how to in-line this clip. Sorry.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Officer CockKnuckle posted:

I know this is a year old, but im just reading threw this thread now.

I worked on a Walmart reno crew, what they are using to move that counter is called a scorpion, it's purpose built to do exactly what they are doing. its got some cast metal support bars that clamp onto the uprights, run underneath to support it. Theres one for every upright. A set of wheels is then put on each side, on each support and a ratchet is used to jack it up off of the ground and just on the skates. Then you can push that poo poo every where, 2 people could have moved that counter if it was going the other direction. The only reason they have a person on each handle, is so the thing moves straight and doesnt buckle.

Seriously, for moving a counter, they are the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQaj96QWr0o

Okay, but why? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just unstock the shelves, then dissemble them and then move it? It seems like a product that is created solely just for a problem that they've made up.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Luckyellow posted:

Okay, but why? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just unstock the shelves, then dissemble them and then move it? It seems like a product that is created solely just for a problem that they've made up.

Ya ever built one of those shelves and stocked/restocked it? I have. It’s days of multiple people. Making minimum wage grant you, but it makes your store look like poo poo in the process.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Luckyellow posted:

Yeah. Why do 10 minutes of work when you could days 2 days worth.

:psyduck:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah. Why do 10 minutes of work when you could days 2 days worth.

:psyduck:

It’s prolly an hour and $50k for the thing, but pays for itself in 2 years. Keep the store fresh, cleaning under those grody things, etc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

OSHA AF. Hearing protection and all. :3:

Edit: I have no clue how to in-line this clip. Sorry.

It's also horribly inefficient. The blower should be pointed backwards to aid in propulsion instead of fighting against it. Then the operator could start in the center and drive in a spiral out, pushing the leaves into a windrow to be collected.

I hope he got fired.

e: Speaking of getting fired......

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 22, 2019

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Blindeye posted:

If this is the case study I reviewed, this was a history timber structure being renovated and the workers pulled off the sheathing on the walls without putting in bracing so it lost all its lateral capacity.

It's uh...it's not getting restored anymore, last I heard.

Interesting to see that. My parents place has an old barn, very old, very small. All of the original logs had rotted away, but the internal studs that someone had put in when they put insulation in became the actual frame. My brother and my dad stripped all the logs off leaving just the internal studs and paneling which had become the frame. It was actually much stronger than the original hand-hewn mess that was the log structure. The person who had put the internal studs in hadn't intended this. It had been done 50 years ago or so, but they managed to replace the entire structure of the building and let it shed it's skin to make a new, stick built, building, leaving the roof intact. My dad is going to just sheath the outside and put decorative logs on. The person who insulated it had turned this tiny barn into a massive sauna.

Speaking of removing sheathing, causing a structure to fail, it reminds me of the 35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis. They had taken a 4 lane bridge, re-striped it for 6 lane with 2 additional ramps, re-certified it by calling the bridge decking structural, which was not in the original plan from the 60's. They then tore off all the decking on one side, then placed a tremendous point load on it and ran heavy equipment across during re-surfacing. There were reports from years prior that the gusset plates were deformed and rotten and needed replacing as the bridge was experiencing loads that were not expected in the original design. The state government ignored the warnings. The bridge fell killing, and badly hurting many.

The state blamed the original architectural firm which was long out of business. As such, it was only the fault of people long since dead so we can just sweep the original problem under the rug.

If decking is structural, or sheathing is structural, don't mess with it. I'm still mad about the bridge collapse and mad that no-one held Pawlenty's administration accountable for not addressing the gusset plates earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hard to tell if this dog is wearing a high-viz vest but I imagine not.

https://twitter.com/cottoncandaddy/status/1141768391893479424