Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

LanceHunter posted:

Reading the Cyberpunk 2020 history of what happens from 1990 to 2020 is...pretty weird.

Well, it certainly is eventful. Francis Fukuyama was clearly wrong, but I kind of wonder if there was some merit to the general idea of an end of history.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

SwitchbladeKult posted:

EP is one of my favorite tabletop settings. Too bad the mechanics are dog poo poo.

never played a game and not enough of a dork to try but reading about the setting in all the source books was rad as hell

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Skyscraper posted:

Well, it certainly is eventful. Francis Fukuyama was clearly wrong, but I kind of wonder if there was some merit to the general idea of an end of history.

Francis Fukuyama being as wrong as possible about literally everything has been one of the highlights of the last 30 years

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

vodkat posted:

never played a game and not enough of a dork to try but reading about the setting in all the source books was rad as hell

yeah same I found a site with all the pdfs on a while back (a flashback in itself, remember when you could download pirated things directly off a website, often in multiple zips? lol) and they make for interesting browsing. Of course I can't put the link here in my post for legal reasons.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

vodkat posted:

Francis Fukuyama being as wrong as possible about literally everything has been one of the highlights of the last 30 years

i listened to a piece about him a while ago, apparently he's done a hell of a mea culpa and goes around owning up to being wrong on things, with the caveat that "well at the time it seemed reasonable but i missed a couple of things"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uncurable mlady posted:

"i missed a couple of things"
oh, word?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

if your eyes freeze, blink once, then blink again two seconds later, then blink eight seconds later, then two seconds again, then

:eyepoop:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

FMguru posted:

oh, word?

word up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

any good* cyberpunk books lately?

* entertaining is acceptable i guess

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Richard Morgan is still coming out with new stuff and it's....okay

A memory called empire by Arkady Martine is good, and maybe qualifies? It's like cyberpunk but not particularly grimey. maybe veers too into regular scifi? idk

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 22, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

gonadic io posted:

Can't wait to have the company that manufactured my eyeballs go out of business and stop releasing software updates so my eyeballs start mining bitcoin

this is basically insulin pumps now so yeah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gonadic io posted:

Richard Morgan is still coming out with new stuff and it's....okay

A memory called empire by Arkady Martine is good, and maybe qualifies? It's like cyberpunk but not particularly grimey. maybe veers too into regular scifi? idk

thx

kinda soured on Morgan cause of his gross sex scenes and also hating the gently caress out of Market Forces

I'll check out memory tho!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Krankenstyle posted:

any good* cyberpunk books lately?

* entertaining is acceptable i guess

The new York times

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Foo posted:

The new York times

i suppose thats entertaining rather than good :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I listened to half a Richard Morgan audiobook and turned it off part way through a creepy sex scene

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1142646706724573184

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah same I found a site with all the pdfs on a while back (a flashback in itself, remember when you could download pirated things directly off a website, often in multiple zips? lol) and they make for interesting browsing. Of course I can't put the link here in my post for legal reasons.

I’m pretty sure all the eclipse phase books are CC licensed. They link to epub conversions on their website.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I listened to half a Richard Morgan audiobook and turned it off part way through a creepy sex scene

i've kind of wondered how that sort of thing works in audiobooks

is the narrator attempting to keep a neutral voice, but keeps cracking and showing audible revulsion at the creepy poo poo that happens to be in this book? or can you definitely hear them getting weirdly into it?

no i'm not gonna listen to an audiobook with creepy sex scenes to find out

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
isn't cstross's non-cthulu work series cyberpunk? I think there's parallel dimension hopping too but idk I've not actually read it

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

gonadic io posted:

isn't cstross's non-cthulu work series cyberpunk? I think there's parallel dimension hopping too but idk I've not actually read it

Accelerando sounds pretty wild tbh:

quote:

They discover that they are being hosted in a Matrioshka brain, the builders of which seem to have disappeared (or been destroyed by their own creations), leaving an anarchy ruled by sentient, viral corporations and scavengers who attempt to use newcomers as currency. The crew finally escape by offering passage to a "rogue alien corporation" (a "pyramid scheme crossed with a 419 scam"), virtualised as a giant slug

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol well this sounds p. drat cyber

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kailo-the-future-of-pain-relief

sorry ‘cyber quackery’ :o: I guess it would at least look futuristic to wear

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gonadic io posted:

accelerando and glasshouse are probably the most, but halting state and rule 34 are as well. just about all his non laundry files stuff is some form of cyberpunk.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Midjack posted:

accelerando and glasshouse are probably the most, but halting state and rule 34 are as well. just about all his non laundry files stuff is some form of cyberpunk.

I wouldn’t call the Merchant Princes books (the dimension hopping ones) cpunk, but they are entertaining and build to a good, nuke-slinging finale. The ‘Empire Games’ books which are like ’Merchant Princes:TNG’ are also fun and are finally expanding on some weird parallel earth tech that’s been teased for like five books :o:

I also don’t remember any sexy times in any of either series books so they are fine to read for the lights-off hole-in-sheet yospos krewe

me, entering the Gentlemen Loser Hacker Bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CL3gcCPMI

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I wouldn’t call the Merchant Princes books (the dimension hopping ones) cpunk, but they are entertaining and build to a good, nuke-slinging finale. The ‘Empire Games’ books which are like ’Merchant Princes:TNG’ are also fun and are finally expanding on some weird parallel earth tech that’s been teased for like five books :o:

I also don’t remember any sexy times in any of either series books so they are fine to read for the lights-off hole-in-sheet yospos

good point, i haven’t gotten to merchant princes yet.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

saaaaame. i think it was the third kovacs novel and the narrator kept doing a south tough lady voice and it was overwhelming when they started talking about their genitals

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Agile Vector posted:

saaaaame. i think it was the third kovacs novel and the narrator kept doing a south tough lady voice and it was overwhelming when they started talking about their genitals

loving lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

big curse if true

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

ahahaha hahaha gross

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Jabor posted:

i've kind of wondered how that sort of thing works in audiobooks

is the narrator attempting to keep a neutral voice, but keeps cracking and showing audible revulsion at the creepy poo poo that happens to be in this book? or can you definitely hear them getting weirdly into it?

no i'm not gonna listen to an audiobook with creepy sex scenes to find out

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1pE1mPN7Zqw

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Accelerando is great cyberpunk mixed with futurism, and also happens to have the most absurd sex scenes in sci fi.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
e: nm, wrong guy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

e: nm, wrong guy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TimWinter posted:

Accelerando is great cyberpunk mixed with futurism, and also happens to have the most absurd sex scenes in sci fi.

the orgynism in k.w. jeter’s Noir is gonna be hard to beat.

that and Dr. Adder are a couple of other good cyberpunk reads, as are his blade runner sequels.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

communism bitch posted:

Accelerando sounds pretty wild tbh:

quote:

They discover that they are being hosted in a Matrioshka brain, the builders of which seem to have disappeared (or been destroyed by their own creations), leaving an anarchy ruled by sentient, viral corporations and scavengers who attempt to use newcomers as currency. The crew finally escape by offering passage to a "rogue alien corporation" (a "pyramid scheme crossed with a 419 scam"), virtualised as a giant slug

yeah Accelerando is some good poo poo

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

the orgynism in k.w. jeter’s Noir is gonna be hard to beat.

that and Dr. Adder are a couple of other good cyberpunk reads, as are his blade runner sequels.

noir is such a weird book, I came across it as a teenager and it think it scarred me a little. combination of weird sex stuff and a very nineties view of copyright:

“KW Jeter completely unironically” posted:

There’s a hardware solution to intellectual-property theft. It’s called a .357 magnum. No better way for taking pirates off-line. Permanently. Properly applied to the head of any copyright-infringing little bastard, this works.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

noir is such a weird book, I came across it as a teenager and it think it scarred me a little. combination of weird sex stuff and a very nineties view of copyright:

i always took it as being super satirical of intellectual property rights and megacorp behavior in general.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

accelerando is pretty good except for the weird sperm-stealing scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm spermjacking in to the network