Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only Zelda Timeline worth considering was the one that features Zelda Monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

YggiDee posted:

The only Zelda Timeline worth considering was the one that features Zelda Monopoly.
:yeah:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Banished into the Master Sword.
Do not pass Hyrule.
Do not collect a Tri-Force piece.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Also there is a whole bunch of Zelda games I had never even heard off.

well excuse me, princess

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what determines the damage of weapons increasing over time? % of shrines completed? time in game? number of major plot quests cleared?

Any enemy you kill beside Chuchus, Keese, Stal enemies, Red/Blue Bokoblin/Moblin, Basic/Blue Lizalfos, Yiga Scout/Archer, and Guardian Scout I/II will increase an invisible counter by x amount, up to 10 times per enemy type (barring the blights and Ganon)

(+160): Dark Beast Ganon
(+100): Monk Maz Koshia
(+60): Thunderblight Ganon (Vah Naboris only), Fireblight Ganon (Vah Rudania only), Waterblight Ganon (Vah Ruta only), Windblight Ganon (Vah Medoh only)
(+24): Silver Lynel, Gold Lynel (Master Mode)
(+20): Master Kohga
(+16): White-maned Lynel
(+12): Blue-maned Lynel
(+10): Lynel, Molduga, Guardian Stalker, Guardian Skywatcher, Molduking
(+8): Silver Lizalfos, Gold Lizalfos (Master Mode)
(+7): Black Hinox, Igneous Talus, Frost Talus, Guardian Turret, Guardian Scout IV, Silver Moblin, Gold Moblin (Master Mode) Igneous Talus Titan
(+6): Stone Talus (Rare)
(+5): Blue Hinox, Stalnox, Stone Talus (Luminous), Silver Bokoblin, Gold Bokoblin (Master Mode)
(+4): Black Lizalfos, Electric Lizalfos, Fire-breath Lizalfos, Ice-breath Lizalfos, Guardian Scout III
(+3.6): Black Moblin
(+3): Black Bokoblin, Blizzrobe, Meteo Wizzrobe, Thunderstorm Wizzrobe, Yiga Blademaster, Hinox, Stone Talus, Sentry
(+2.4): Decayed Guardian
(+1): Fire Wizzrobe, Ice Wizzrobe, Electric Wizzrobe

When this counter reaches certain thresholds, enemies will rank up to the next tier (ex. Blue Moblin->Black Moblin) and Weapon/Shields will either scale up to their next tier (example Knight Sword->Royal Sword) or gain enhancements (Durability Up, Attack Up, Long Throw, etc.).

There are some fixed spawns that are exempted from this rule (both mobs and weapon/shields), but generally this affects every enemy camp, treasure chest, weapons in the overworld and weapon/shield enemy carries.

Enemies scale up to 1200 points, whereas weapon/shield scale up to 1800 points.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 22, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Running through the DLC now. I was pissed to be sent back to the Yiga Hideout, but realising you can slaughter everything with charged attacks and Barbarian armour was a great feeling.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Really there needs to be a way to reset the Yiga Clan hideout.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

duffmensch posted:

Really there needs to be a way to reset the Yiga Clan hideout.

And Eventide.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/RedAdmiralV/status/1142210712615317505?s=19

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Matt Groening just can't come up with any original gags for Disenchantment can he?

e: doeth

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Apparently there's an entire fan art community of revived skelly Ganondorf that I keep getting the briefest glimpses into.

https://twitter.com/yoYokaiy/status/1142183930268979201

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah a good chunk of Art Twitter is going apeshit making ridiculously thirsty beefcake art of Ganondorf. I'm not sure why, exactly. There's a theory going around that beef jerky Ganon was Nintendo's attempt at making people stop wanting to gently caress Ganon, which is almost certainly not true but is still pretty funny.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah a good chunk of Art Twitter is going apeshit making ridiculously thirsty beefcake art of Ganondorf. I'm not sure why, exactly.

You know why.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Because some people love Ganondorf and (not counting Smash or Hyrule Warriors etc) he hasn't made a canon appearance in a Zelda game since Twilight Princess, which was thirteen years ago. It's all been Demise or Beast Ganon since then and I miss Manondorf.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I do like this probably-skeleton Ganon, hope there are more cool boss designs. The Calamity as a concept for Ganon is great, just this shadowy blob of malice sweeping the land. But it doesn't feel like you're stabbing the real Blue Pig in the head, and his up-close designs are actually awful

Have been thinking about this critique of Skyward Sword & Breath of the Wild, it's pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Q2wREAwRM

I think BotW is epic but he makes pretty good observations about what could be improved, and it's just an overall great video with the Skyward Sword comparisons

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Spellman posted:

I do like this probably-skeleton Ganon, hope there are more cool boss designs. The Calamity as a concept for Ganon is great, just this shadowy blob of malice sweeping the land. But it doesn't feel like you're stabbing the real Blue Pig in the head, and his up-close designs are actually awful

Have been thinking about this critique of Skyward Sword & Breath of the Wild, it's pretty good

I think BotW is epic but he makes pretty good observations about what could be improved, and it's just an overall great video with the Skyward Sword comparisons
I dunno, I got bored with the video after a couple minutes because he kept talking up the "exploration potential" and whatnot of the overworld in the N64 zeldas, aka "here's a square box that connects to the other areas off in the corners."
I haven't played Skyward Sword myself, but I've been watching a 100% LP of it, and, honestly, the overworld and dungeon designs made me sad that I missed it because of the motion controls. (whether or not the motion controls worked well, I didn't have Wii motion plus) The overworld being similar to a dungeon in how it plays is great IMO, because the dungeons are generally the best part of the zelda games.

Also, the "repeating areas" complaint feels a little hollow - when you revisit, you go to a different part of that slice of the overworld - the water area is connected to faron, but it isn't faron.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Spellman posted:

this guy sounds like he's trying to ape matthew matosis's monotone delivery but without the accent that makes it somewhat listenable

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ganondorf is a versatile, well-realized, archetypical villain who's fun to watch and exciting to fight. I welcome his return.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

romanowski posted:

monotone delivery

welcome to explainer youtube

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Beast ganon is/was og "prince of darkness" Ganon.Ganondorf wasn't even a thing before OoT. I think WW might be the only one where he doesn't talk his true form but it's a badass enough battle that it's forgiven.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

"I warned you about dragons bro! I told you dog!"

"It keeps happening!"

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Beast ganon is/was og "prince of darkness" Ganon.Ganondorf wasn't even a thing before OoT. I think WW might be the only one where he doesn't talk his true form but it's a badass enough battle that it's forgiven.

The whole Zelda series is just retroactively explaining how things came to be in previous games through prequels

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is the youtuber with the absolutely insufferable "majora's mask 3d is a bad remake actually" video so there's no way this is good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

This is the youtuber with the absolutely insufferable "majora's mask 3d is a bad remake actually" video so there's no way this is good

Majoras Mask remake was bad though.

Mostly because it was on 3DS and therefore looked and played like dirt though.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 23, 2019

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Majora's Mask 3D isn't a bad remake exactly but it does have some changes that I can understand people not liking. Mainly Zora swimming and the different Gyorg/Twinmold fights.

If they call Majora's Mask 3D a bad remake because it introduced quality of life convenience like anytime saving and the ability to choose the hour on Song of Double Time they are a special kind of terrible and wrong.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moving the stone mask so you have to do the great bay stealth section without it was a dumb as hell change and invalidated the one like use for the drat thing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Don't think so, and he's right about Majora's Mask 3D. This review though is actually quite blessed, and the entire point is that the parts of Skyward Sword that were executed properly would've fleshed out Breath of the Wild's sometimes-characterless world through music and story. He comes down on neither too harshly by the end, and there are some funny moments. Nerrell is epic

*Also, that he records these in HD 3K really improved my respect for the art style of Skyward Sword. It's impressive to see these Zeldas in such a crisp resolution, and I might even give Skyward Sword a shot if it gets a definitive edition/'remake'

Spellman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 23, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MM3D is the definitive version of MM and i will hear no different. All of the changes they made I like except for adding the ability to create permanent saves during the 3-day cycle, which I only dislike for thematic reasons. It's a necessary change due to being a portable game (and many people like it anyway.)

The oft-complained about zora swimming change for example makes perfect sense. It adds a saner speed when you want it in tight corridors, and letting you speed up with magic adds some incentive to actually pay attention to your magic meter and, god forbid, maybe actually stock some green potion for once. Nobody would actually complain about how it works if they hadn't gotten used to it in the original.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Majora's Mask's old save/load system was exquisite from a thematic standpoint, but a criminal act if they did it on a handheld device.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think Ocarina's was handled much better. But Majora's Mask is too, an iconic baby, you can't change it much without ruining it

The guy whom does those reviews is re-texturing the entirety of Majora's Mask as a hobby and out of love for the game, so you can't fault him much for having a pretty extraordinary interest in the minutia of what he finds wrong with the remake. It's very possible that the new visual fidelity and polish outweighs the criticisms against the different gameplay elements for some. But I could never quite figure out why I was pooched by the swamp area despite loving the visual style, so it scratched a nerve for me that review

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MM3D
-has much more vibrant colors, completely at odds with the atmosphere
-hosed over zora swimming, making the water dungeon go from fun to tedious
-stapled eyeballs to the back of every boss, making them play like much more traditional zelda bosses, and therefore, less fun.
-stone mask made effectively worthless

if it was just the visual change, I wouldn't mind, but the other changes make it feel worse to play. Here's to hoping my wii never dies, seeing as the wii version is the definitive release and it was digital download only

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait, why is the wii version the best, isnt it just the gamecube collection version?

getting the urge to replay it tbh, still got the cart and the disc.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Amppelix posted:

MM3D is the definitive version of MM and i will hear no different. All of the changes they made I like except for adding the ability to create permanent saves during the 3-day cycle, which I only dislike for thematic reasons. It's a necessary change due to being a portable game (and many people like it anyway.)

The oft-complained about zora swimming change for example makes perfect sense. It adds a saner speed when you want it in tight corridors, and letting you speed up with magic adds some incentive to actually pay attention to your magic meter and, god forbid, maybe actually stock some green potion for once. Nobody would actually complain about how it works if they hadn't gotten used to it in the original.

The problem with the swimming is that you chunk through the default magic bar incredibly fast and even if you do dedicate bottles to green potion you can't actually drink without being on solid land. Giving a slower swim mode for getting around tight spaces or navigating more precisely was a good idea in theory that wasn't implemented very well. If it was decoupled from magic it would've worked much better but then you have to figure out an extra button to separate that. It basically comes down to your own personal preference on if you think the sacrifice was worth the more precise swimming. I personally go with it not being worth it, since there's truthfully not that many places where I'd miss that slow swim.

I guess that's really the whole remake in a nutshell and that's why opinions are always very divided on it. In the end I've spent more time with the original version myself but I think both versions are good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait, why is the wii version the best, isnt it just the gamecube collection version?

getting the urge to replay it tbh, still got the cart and the disc.

Gamecube collection version is buggy. There's a few hard crashes and some discoloration.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The problem with the swimming is that you chunk through the default magic bar incredibly fast and even if you do dedicate bottles to green potion you can't actually drink without being on solid land. Giving a slower swim mode for getting around tight spaces or navigating more precisely was a good idea in theory that wasn't implemented very well. If it was decoupled from magic it would've worked much better but then you have to figure out an extra button to separate that. It basically comes down to your own personal preference on if you think the sacrifice was worth the more precise swimming. I personally go with it not being worth it, since there's truthfully not that many places where I'd miss that slow swim.

I guess that's really the whole remake in a nutshell and that's why opinions are always very divided on it. In the end I've spent more time with the original version myself but I think both versions are good.

I picked up a Chateau Romani day 1 every time I started a new cycle. Never worry about magic ever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bongo Bill posted:

Gamecube collection version is buggy. There's a few hard crashes and some discoloration.

drat! oh well, still got the n64 game. still, shoulda bought the vc ones when i had the chance.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I remember wishing that games would start integrating meaningful day-night cycles for gameplay/storytelling mechanics like Majora's Mask did, and then we got Animal Crossing. Woo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd pay upwards of ten English pounds for a super basic remastering of MM to make it look acceptable on a modern TV.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the only truly unforgivable change in MM3D is the new twinmold fight which is the worst boss fight in the entire franchise

that being said none of the changes fundamentally alter what makes majora's mask the greatest game of all time and therefore it is a good remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

MM3D
-has much more vibrant colors, completely at odds with the atmosphere

:wrong:

e: this might be true of OOT3D though

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 23, 2019