Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

On the JRA advertisement at least, I imagine it's because the target audience probably grew up with 00.

but 00 sucks

well season 2 anyway, 1's pretty solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Omnicrom posted:

So the Exia if it was also the AGE-1 Razor.

I saw a kitbash once that was P much that and it looked dope as hell so, yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yinlock posted:

but 00 sucks

:toughguy:

Yinlock posted:

well season 2 anyway, 1's pretty solid

...:hai:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/1141217592352235521

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

All of 00 owns gently caress the haters.

By the way, is it possible to get a reasonably priced blu ray of gundam narrative? I only see the 100 dollar special edition. I mean, I'm willing to pay like $40 bucks or so Canadian for it, but I'm not paying 90+ for one goddamn movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The basic Blu-ray goes for ¥6000 on Amazon Japan, hilariously the special edition is only a little more. Which is probably why none of the distributors bothered to import anything but the deluxe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Oh so anime studio's stupid physical media pricing combined with the fear of reverse importing strikes again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Oh so anime studio's stupid physical media pricing combined with the fear of reverse importing strikes again.

I don’t think there’s any reverse importation thing this time, it seems to be purely gonzo pricing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't that in the ballpark of $60? Seems like a hefty markup to pay $100 for it

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Is there an actual American release, or is it the same as what's happened in the UK where it's just the Japanese blu-ray at Japanese prices being distributed by a local company? Presumably some day there'll be an affordable release, but this just seems to be how Gundam movies are handled now.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Closer to 75 CAD

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Monaghan posted:

All of 00 owns gently caress the haters
come on, the second season is bad and the movie is awful

also i got really confused/hyped about a 7th episode of The Origin coming out, until i realized it was the airing of the 7th episode of the TV recompile

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is the TV recompile proving as stupid and pointless as the unicorn one

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

Is the TV recompile proving as stupid and pointless as the unicorn one
Pretty much, yeah.

Like its good for people that want a legal and cheap way to see the OVA I guess but that's about it- its still the lesser cut of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TenementFunster posted:

also i got really confused/hyped about a 7th episode of The Origin coming out, until i realized it was the airing of the 7th episode of the TV recompile

Thankfully the way Season 1 of 00 ends one can easily treat it as being standalone

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

TenementFunster posted:

The first season isn't as innovative (:v:) as people give it credit for, the second season catches poo poo for regressing back toward more standard Gundam tropes, and then the movie goes for innovation again and you still poo poo on it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Anshu posted:

The first season isn't as innovative (:v:) as people give it credit for, the second season catches poo poo for regressing back toward more standard Gundam tropes, and then the movie goes for innovation again and you still poo poo on it.
turns out innovation doesn't fix an otherwise boring mess

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

00's S2 has some very good moments despite itself. In comparison, S1's highs aren't quite as "cool robot" but hit better thematic points because it's actually got something going on there. The movie format sort of hurts itself. It's easy to imagine a better way for things to have played out while keeping the important themes but they couldn't help but splatter the audience with "cool robot" moments instead of "wow, understanding one another is good" moments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll say it again, I would have liked 00 a lot more if it had been a very low tech Gundam series with more walking tank aesthetics like the Tieren rather than the show bring about mecha going from shitboxes to a quantum leap into super robots with GN drives. Even something as simple as "a Gundam type mobile suit can run fifty kilometers faster than a Tieren thanks to gyro-stabilizers in the waist and legs" could keep the show low tech and still show the Gundams as being a major leap forward rather than super robots clowning on shitboxes for half the season.

Just give me a Gundam show where mobile suits are more like Armored Troopers Votoms except a bit more resilient than a tin can.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Anshu posted:

Innovation doesn't always mean something is inherently good. Something that is extremely innovative but poorly executed is easily worse than something that is not as innovative but is well executed.

That said, I'm not familiar with people saying 00 S1 is particularly innovative as a common plus point, because that would be a lie; 00 S1 borrows heavily from Gundam Wing in broad plot concept - a squad of prettyboy terrorists in superpowered invincible gundams wage war on the world with the ultimate goal of ending all war. People like 00 S1 because it's pretty competent and well executed, has recognizable plot arcs for many of its characters that have actual conclusions, and generally wraps up all of its loose ends within the context of its own narrative. As stated upthread, you can watch 00 S1 as a self-contained product from beginning to end and it's a complete story.

The movie is innovative - aliens in Gundam and actually exploring the "evolution for perfect communication" Gundam trope! - but is executed poorly. Basically every character we see onscreen has no arc to speak of within the context of the movie. Virtually no time is spent developing any sort of cohesive plot; the movie staggers and shambles from red herring shock reveals(fake Ribbons!) to flashily animated but utterly meaningless combat and action sequences(Descartes' mobile armor fighting the ELS for the first time, the infamous Hunter Killer Jeeps segment) before drunkenly collapsing into a conclusion consisting of a big expensive overblown climactic fight sequence that somehow manages to be super boring, largely due to the combination of the antagonists' design and abilities being utterly antithetical to good mobile suit combat choreography. The final battle is effectively a long-rear end sequence of dudes shooting beams at blobs of featureless silver cones until Setsuna wakes up from the coma he spends half the movie in and magics a victory.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll say it again, I would have liked 00 a lot more if it had been a very low tech Gundam series with more walking tank aesthetics like the Tieren rather than the show bring about mecha going from shitboxes to a quantum leap into super robots with GN drives. Even something as simple as "a Gundam type mobile suit can run fifty kilometers faster than a Tieren thanks to gyro-stabilizers in the waist and legs" could keep the show low tech and still show the Gundams as being a major leap forward rather than super robots clowning on shitboxes for half the season.

Just give me a Gundam show where mobile suits are more like Armored Troopers Votoms except a bit more resilient than a tin can.

The best and most interesting fight sequence in the entirety of 00 is when those shitbox garbage mobile suits are utilized cleverly to take down and defeat the superpowered Gundams, a scene that would lose all of its impact if Gundams were "Tierens but run faster".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're basically describing Argevollen. Unfortunately, it was pretty dull.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like the movie a lot. My main complaint is the fight scenes. The second seasonis the weakest part of 00 but it's still good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

You're basically describing Argevollen. Unfortunately, it was pretty dull.

Oh I know. If I want a story about mass produced power armor mecha I either have to stick with Votoms, deal with lame shows, or write the story myself. It's hard to avoid how mecha shows skew towards younger audiences and therefore come with certain inherent conventions that I don't always appreciate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I know. If I want a story about mass produced power armor mecha I either have to stick with Votoms, deal with lame shows, or write the story myself. It's hard to avoid how mecha shows skew towards younger audiences and therefore come with certain inherent conventions that I don't always appreciate.

IMO, this kind of show only works when the power armor/mecha are largely ancillary to the story being told. Using VOTOMs as an example, you could honestly remove ATs from its story wholesale and it would largely hold together because the ATs are just tools. Gundam(and most robot shows) are much more about the robots themselves as major drivers in the story, and for that to hold most peoples' interest the robots have to be special in some way. Grunt love is pretty common around here but most people don't give a poo poo about grungy Tierens and stuff.

Hell, I remember when Gundam Versus's roster was revealed and there was a huge amount of complaining because it had a lot of grunt class mechs instead of more common protagonist favorites.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's Dougram, where the titular robots gimmick is that it requires less maintenance than regular robots. Or Xabungle, where the Xabungle is a pretty big technological step up but nobody really treats it like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And Blue Gender! I don't think Blue Gender even has any special robots, they're all just the standard mass produced ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blue Gender also sucks though. Half the time it felt like it was trying to be Verhoeven's Starship Troopers without any of the ironic humour.

I have been meaning to watch Dougram. All I've seen of Xabungle is when the dude catches a nuclear missile five times the size of his mech and throws it like a football at a giant land battleship.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The bit in the 00 movie where there's cars that move by themselves and try to kill humans now looks old hat compared to Tesla Autopilot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xabungle is low-key Tomino's best show

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think 00 season 2 would improve in my eyes if they cut ties with the first season. Keep hobo Exia and I guess Lockon 2 but move straight into the back half.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans handled the lower tech thing in a really rad way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, the divide is functionally important for the show with how the Gundams are addressed. Having them use conventional technology would just turn into a reverse-engineering arms race like literally every other Gundam show based on watching how they perform in combat. Having the Gundams be just fundamentally built on unknown properties that cannot be discerned means the various Earth factions have to actually get creative in how they deal with these four assholes making GBS threads on their fun little Cold War beyond "We developed a Dom/Gelgoog/Z'Gok/Gouf equivalent offscreen", and ultimately cooperate together to achieve victory.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having the Gundams be just fundamentally built on unknown properties that cannot be discerned means the various Earth factions have to actually get creative in how they deal with these four assholes making GBS threads on their fun little Cold War beyond "We developed a Dom/Gelgoog/Z'Gok/Gouf equivalent offscreen", and ultimately cooperate together to achieve victory.

Yeah and that's exactly why the GN-X reveal was lame as hell and even season 1 dropped the ball hard near the end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Argas posted:

00's S2 has some very good moments despite itself. In comparison, S1's highs aren't quite as "cool robot" but hit better thematic points because it's actually got something going on there. The movie format sort of hurts itself. It's easy to imagine a better way for things to have played out while keeping the important themes but they couldn't help but splatter the audience with "cool robot" moments instead of "wow, understanding one another is good" moments.

Yea, the way I've always thought of it is that 00 season one is really interesting, while season two and the movie are really entertaining. Season one has some cool ideas and execution throughout, along with some nice character development for the meisters staggered throughout the season that mean almost every episode has something worth watching. Season two doesn't have that, but there are enough fun moments sprinkled throughout, like rescuing Allelujah, the Momento Mori assault, the fall of the orbital elevator etc. that it makes it worth watching to build up to those set-pieces. The fact the music that backs a lot of those moments is good helps too. The theme kicking in as the Ptolomaios comes out of the explosion while cutting to Cherudim in trans-am as Lockon is aiming during the Momento Mori raid for instance.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even something as simple as "a Gundam type mobile suit can run fifty kilometers faster than a Tieren thanks to gyro-stabilizers in the waist and legs" could keep the show low tech and still show the Gundams as being a major leap forward rather than super robots clowning on shitboxes for half the season.

If that was the level of difference between a Gundam and a regular mobile suit, then Celestial Being having only 4 mobile suits but being able to take on the entire world would make no sense. You need a huge disparity to make that conflict work.

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah and that's exactly why the GN-X reveal was lame as hell and even season 1 dropped the ball hard near the end.

I don't know that it'd have made the episodes much more interesting, but I do think that it would have been neat for Billy to develop GN drives independently from Celestial Being and for that to be why they're "fake" and for that haste and lack of complete understanding to be why they're harming the pilots.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 22, 2019

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
You see, Gundams have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just so we're clear, my issue with 00 isn't based on me misreading the series as much as it is me lamenting a potential idea for a show that is fundamentally different from the story 00 is telling. Yes, a Gundam that can move slightly faster than a grunt suit doesn't factor well with the series concept that four high performance machines can conquer the world and unite them. It would suit a story where say an M1 Abrams went up against a horde of T-70s but with robots, but that's not the story 00 is telling. It's a story I'd love to see in a Gundam show, and 00's aesthetics and closer to real world setting feel like an ideal environment for such a story. I'm hung up on what my brain imagined and I take it out on 00 because it gets close to what I'd like but doesn't quite hit it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I don't know that it'd have made the episodes much more interesting, but I do think that it would have been neat for Billy to develop GN drives independently from Celestial Being and for that to be why they're "fake" and for that haste and lack of complete understanding to be why they're harming the pilots.

The problem with the GN-X's is they get tossed in with the drives too and are just generic GN-powered Mobile Suits. It would've at least been interesting if that gift had stopped at "here's 30 Tau Drives to play with, have fun" and seen what the Earth governments built together through a combined R&D effort with touches of their predecessor models. Even if it was just an ENACT or FLAG with a GN Drive attached.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just so we're clear, my issue with 00 isn't based on me misreading the series as much as it is me lamenting a potential idea for a show that is fundamentally different from the story 00 is telling. Yes, a Gundam that can move slightly faster than a grunt suit doesn't factor well with the series concept that four high performance machines can conquer the world and unite them. It would suit a story where say an M1 Abrams went up against a horde of T-70s but with robots, but that's not the story 00 is telling. It's a story I'd love to see in a Gundam show, and 00's aesthetics and closer to real world setting feel like an ideal environment for such a story. I'm hung up on what my brain imagined and I take it out on 00 because it gets close to what I'd like but doesn't quite hit it.

That’s pretty close to the tech disparity in First Gundam. Unless you’re more concerned with the overall power level, I guess, because beam weapons are far and away more powerful than anything a tank will ever have in real life.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

It would suit a story where say an M1 Abrams went up against a horde of T-70s but with robots, but that's not the story 00 is telling.

Would an M1 Abrams even be able to defeat 20+ T-70s if it faced them all off in one go? It's not even that much faster going by internet stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It would've at least been interesting if that gift had stopped at "here's 30 Tau Drives to play with, have fun" and seen what the Earth governments built together through a combined R&D effort with touches of their predecessor models.

Oh for sure. How cool would it have been if they used GN drives for civilian purposes? The bureaucracy steps in and says "Actually we're taking half of these drives and hooking them up to the power grid to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels."

GN drive fueled mass transit. Space exploration. A new generation of mobile workers. How would Celestial Being respond to this?

That would've been more interesting than the robot shounen we got.