Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
As was before, most assassins suck.

Bounty Hunter, Blood Seeker, TA, Slark are all very good. Slark, in fact, is an absolute monster with a basher, moonshard or maelstrom. The flaw of going 6/9 in a alliance is you'll get some very bad units.

But it's almost always worth it to have a bloodseeker and a slark, and throwing one more onto the pile never hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Slark/Morphling/Sandking are like the holy assassin trinity and are pretty good. Going for 6 or 9 (nice) is just a waste though

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/DotaUnderlords/status/1142250380987813888

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I can see the argument for Slark and Bloodseeker (even if I've found Bloodseeker to be a bit of a liability later on if you can't get him to 3*), but the 3-set bonus for assassins is basically so weak that it's worthless.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ta slark and sand king is pretty good id say.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh, I've found TA to be kinda weak on rank 1, and as a tier 4 unit it can be tricky to get it to rank 2 quickly. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Sand King in my games as well, but maybe I just haven't given him enough of a shot. I'm just not that much of a fan of assassins that don't do damage.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Sand King has the problem of being an assassin with low attack speed and assassin-hp so he often dies before he can get his spell off.

TA isn't bad, but TA isn't super good. She's just solid. Reliable. When it comes to assassins, that's a nice thing to have. Even Slark is dangerously hit-of-miss.

As for Bloodseeker, it's very possible for him to 'miss' as well, but it's rarer. To understand why Bloodseeker is so good, you have to understand a couple of things:

1) His DPS is incredible if he isn't instantly blown up, and has a lot of innate sustain
2) He's a 1* unit so he comes online incredibly fast. You can easily have a 2* of him before you fight your first human.
3) Speaking of Human, he's one! Which mean he is a fast-attacker that can carry Human synergies (silencing) as well as Heartless synergies with Fall from Grace. An assassin that brings negative armor to the table with his DPS is incredible. Even if he's fallen off DPS wise, his alliances carry his worth.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

You basically keep Sand King on the bench until he's 2* and then you let him loose and hope he drops the big stuns (he will). Morphling works well with this because they have basically the same skill and they'll both zip around everywhere

also I'm slowly becoming convinced of The Human Element because silencing enemies is so insanely strong. You just also need some sort of big damage backline to stop from losing to warriors and druids

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is there a dota goon discord and does it have auto chess channels?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Slark's insane if you give him attack speed items since he can build up the stacks to attack even fast and crit more

Mask of Madness does wonders on him

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

smarxist posted:

is there a dota goon discord and does it have auto chess channels?

I haven't been playing dota the past few years, but I dont remember it ever existing. It would be cool to start a discord though, to run inhouse and stuff.

Someone told me income is calculated at the start of the round, just before fighting. Is that true?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ubiquitus posted:

I haven't been playing dota the past few years, but I dont remember it ever existing. It would be cool to start a discord though, to run inhouse and stuff.

Someone told me income is calculated at the start of the round, just before fighting. Is that true?

you mean interest i think? and yep it is. you can safely buy everything in the shop or reroll away a hundred gold and still get your interest payments as long as preparation time is over

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
https://youtu.be/cq37Y9ls4_I

Quill18's excellent tutorial for complete beginners. I learned a lot!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If anything I can just create a discord for auto chess/Underlords/tft

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Just downloaded Dota Underlords because the price is right and I will be home a bit for the next few weeks. Are more expensive units generally better? Is there any way to see what units do from the purchasing screen? I don't play dota or anything, no real idea what units do, what counters what etc. It feels like every game I do well at first, just making 2 star guys and trying to find synergy, then people start killing me in 2 seconds. I think the best I have done is second place, typically I am around 4th.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Pain of Mind posted:

Just downloaded Dota Underlords because the price is right and I will be home a bit for the next few weeks. Are more expensive units generally better? Is there any way to see what units do from the purchasing screen? I don't play dota or anything, no real idea what units do, what counters what etc. It feels like every game I do well at first, just making 2 star guys and trying to find synergy, then people start killing me in 2 seconds. I think the best I have done is second place, typically I am around 4th.

More expensive is generally better, but there are units that are stronger than the rest of their tier imo like Queen of Pain. Kunkka and Dusa have practically always been tier 5s in reality, Razor and SF have always been closer to a 4.
Back on the mod in well matchmade lobbies through Qihl you are fighting for top 4. Obviously you want to get as high as you can but at a certain point you can settle for just beating 4 of the other guys and you'll consistently rank up.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
D.Underlords should show you the enemies synergies during the battle instead of just the beginning.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah sometimes you realize that you aren't going grab that first place and have to adjust your plan to "survive until top 4" and grab those pieces

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

Watch the vid I just linked and he'll explain that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

D.Underlords should show you the enemies synergies during the battle instead of just the beginning.

What/where is D.Underlords?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I'm liking the new passive abilities, really gives an edge for a strong pivot or bolstering a good setup

Studio posted:

This game absolutely owns for in-houses. Everyone can be stupid and have fun without a strong commitment.

:hfive:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I’m loving the hell out of Underlords so far (first auto-battler I’ve ever played) but I’m obviouslt doing something wrong in the endgame. I’ve had multiple games so far where I’m still at 100 health and just dominating at round 25 or so, then five or six turns later everyone will suddenly jump ahead of me and I’ll end up fifth overall.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Popular Human posted:

I’m loving the hell out of Underlords so far (first auto-battler I’ve ever played) but I’m obviouslt doing something wrong in the endgame. I’ve had multiple games so far where I’m still at 100 health and just dominating at round 25 or so, then five or six turns later everyone will suddenly jump ahead of me and I’ll end up fifth overall.

Health is meaningless, especially early game where you’re only taking a few bits of damage. A lose streak is just as good as a win streak economy-wise so they could be holding back until they get a late game race like mages online which pretty much wrecks anything.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Popular Human posted:

They're probably saving money and transitioning into a late game lineup or hitting 5 cost units, and you're still using a mid or early game lineup. Health is just a resource you can spend.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

https://youtu.be/cq37Y9ls4_I

Quill18's excellent tutorial for complete beginners. I learned a lot!

Holy poo poo, this is excellent. This is my first game of this type and had no idea what I was doing after the lovely ingame tutorial, I went on to win my first game after watching just the first half of this video. I had no clue about the economy stuff he hits on with the interest and kill/lose streak mechanics is probably the most important poo poo in the game. The ingame tutorial for this is real bad.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really like TfT's item system outside of the random drops thing (getting nothing from a late game mob loving sucks). If it were up to me every loot round would automatically give you 1 item and winning it would net you 1-2 more. Other than that the items are pretty impactful and you can get what you want pretty consistently. In the first draft I don't even care about the unit, I just want the recursive bow becasue it's a component in 2 important dps items. Even later on in the game I'm usually on the look out for certain items more so than units (Like, if you see something with a spatula it's important to grab it becasue it makes equipment that lets you add a race on a unit or increase you max unit cap)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think actually being based on real Dota items is kinda limiting for Underlords. I like that League basically made a custom set of items just for TFT, because the power gap between items, even of the same tier in Underlords, is pretty significant.

Spatula is powerful but intentionally rare, Refresher and Radiance are just better than all the other items

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fun fact, there are tier 5 items that I have only ever seen when I've had the "Get items one rank higher" passive.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think the only tier 5 item I've ever gotten is the 1 extra unit one, which is uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh very strong

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I haven't seen the divine rapier yet but I bet it would definitely lose you the game if you picked it.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Broken Cog posted:

I can see the argument for Slark and Bloodseeker (even if I've found Bloodseeker to be a bit of a liability later on if you can't get him to 3*), but the 3-set bonus for assassins is basically so weak that it's worthless.

It's the same as before, very good if you can get 3 assassins from about round 5 to round 12 or so to err on the side of caution. That is if you're concerned for not dropping health that is. But after that, varying on how fast the other teams are coming up, you want to swap out for something more reasonable fast.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I haven't seen the divine rapier yet but I bet it would definitely lose you the game if you picked it.

I got it once and slapped it on Medusa. The game was won at that point, but having Medusa Split Shot 3 targets with +350 damage is pretty good.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've been playing this for a few days on the Underlords client and I think I have a good hang of the game, I've gotten a few first place finishes and have very rarely been in the bottom three out. I never really got into the Dota 2 version due to the controls, it didn't take long for things to click once I was playing Underlords.

The game this reminds me the most of is the old WC3 map Line Tower Wars, the game also has a lot in common with SC2's Nexus Wars and other tug style maps. Adding randomization to what you can build is a great touch. I've been pretty successful with the strategy of playing greedy, taking hits in the first 10 or so rounds, getting to 50+ gold and then pumping levels to load up on 3 and 4 rank guys in the shop. I've also been pretty successful doing the same thing but just sticking around at level 6, developing my 1 and 2 rank guys into a few three-stars and then pumping stats up. The losing streak is a great touch, combined with the shop item that gives you money for losing games I can get to 5 interest pretty quickly and from there it's just a matter of developing some 2* high rank guys.

I'm still trying to figure out when it's best to add a new unit to my comp rather than to shoot for a second 2* unit with hopes of the 3*. I see a lot of people using double 2*s of the same unit which makes sense to me if you don't have another unique 2* unit that would get you an alliance bonus, I just haven't gotten the hang of when to do this myself yet. I also find sometimes that I'm trying to upgrade too many units at once and end up in tough choices where I'm maybe 2 units away from a three star for multiple guys but can only commit to one by selling the others.

I know people think there are too many pieces but tbh I think there aren't enough! I take it this is a pretty solid port of the original mod, but I'm hoping to see some of my favorite Dota heroes like Dazzle and Weaver show up down the road.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

I know people think there are too many pieces but tbh I think there aren't enough! I take it this is a pretty solid port of the original mod, but I'm hoping to see some of my favorite Dota heroes like Dazzle and Weaver show up down the road.

I don't think the game works well with more than 55 to 60 pieces but I think they've announced rotations for underlords already, I know that's the plan for TFT.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah they absolutely need a seasonal rotation. I think you could straight-up remove like..nine or ten pieces from the current lineup and I'd probably like the overall piece frequency more

For reference, TFT has 50 heroes, Autochess has 55, Underlords has 61.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 22, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It'd be interesting if they publically revealed which set of pieces were available at the start of the game (making sure to have enough of each alliance to make the bonuses possible). Could add a whole new dimension to the game if you couldn't always lean on the same units.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
They are probably gonna do seasonal rotations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think they should make each games hero pool random/randomish so that smarter players get to feel smarter. Adapt or lose!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 22, 2019

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

They are probably gonna do seasonal rotations.

It's on the website!

https://www.underlords.com/

Heroes items and traits will be on seasonal rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've also been pretty successful doing the same thing but just sticking around at level 6, developing my 1 and 2 rank guys into a few three-stars and then pumping stats up. The losing streak is a great touch, combined with the shop item that gives you money for losing games I can get to 5 interest pretty quickly and from there it's just a matter of developing some 2* high rank guys.

I'm still trying to figure out when it's best to add a new unit to my comp rather than to shoot for a second 2* unit with hopes of the 3*. I see a lot of people using double 2*s of the same unit which makes sense to me if you don't have another unique 2* unit that would get you an alliance bonus, I just haven't gotten the hang of when to do this myself yet. I also find sometimes that I'm trying to upgrade too many units at once and end up in tough choices where I'm maybe 2 units away from a three star for multiple guys but can only commit to one by selling the others.

From what I recalled, the tribal buffs are more of a nice bonus than a strategy, you almost always prioritize higher tier units. While the synergies have received major buffs, I think it's still generally the case. Plus, there isn't that many units so it's not very hard to sub in a stronger 1 star unit to replace your existing straggler while still maintaining synergies, or even making the team stronger. Usually when the team is relying on a synergy bonus, it means the team's units are probably not that great. But there is of course the edge case where you get lucky with global items and can all-in in a certain type, it's just not as reliable as raw picking the best units.

The thing they changed visually, is that all units have the same star rating now, so it's more deceptive. Basically, you want to consider the cost of a unit over star rating almost always because the cost is what the game is balanced around, the cost is the "true" star rating, like it used to be in Auto Chess. The higher cost units are still much much stronger than simply upgraded lower cost units, a lot of 1 cost units are flat out not worth getting to 3 star, though they may be marginally stronger in stats even (not sure on this,) the abilities of higher cost units are far superior and vital to endgame. I've lost more games with 3 star 1/2 cost units than 1 star 4/5s. Low cost 3 star units can be dominant if you get them very early, but they dont scale that well into the late game at all (there are exceptions of course.)

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 22, 2019