Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

The Netherlands, Facebook and Google got them pounds y'all.

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1141838130192031745

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

All of those orgs give you money? drat

The dark money from the shadowy organization [checks image] UNESCO.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's all those World Heritage Sites we have.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

All those Dutch pounds I'm rolling in.

The "government of the Netherlands" is part of the blue logo next to it (rijksoverheid). I think the navy crest is the UKs royal navy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
In lighter non-news:
https://mobile.twitter.com/mashant/status/1142062738203709440

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
How has Ukraine been doing since the election? Are the neo nazis and fascists still ascendant in the country or has there been any success in clamping down on them?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tomorrow is the Kyiv Pride march, and the far right are already setting up camp to cause trouble. We're monitoring it all as part of a new project, and posting what we find on this Twitter account
https://twitter.com/BcatMonitoring/status/1142514541227589632

We're also publishing articles about it, here's the first
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-...y-to-far-right/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mila kunis posted:

How has Ukraine been doing since the election? Are the neo nazis and fascists still ascendant in the country or has there been any success in clamping down on them?

Elections are on July 21, and opinion polls, as of late, are consistently showing no right-wing parties making the cut (well, depending on your opinion about "For Life" - I personally think it's rather clear who they are and why they exist, as much that typical categorises are unnecessary).

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

mila kunis posted:

I don't think far right has had strong positions in the recent years, where are you getting that from?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The Baltics being let into the EU had a funny effect on the far right where a ton of young neonazis packed up their stuff and left for the UK and Ireland to work bad manual jobs which made the capital city where I live much safer. I wonder if the EU partnership agreement had a similar effect on Ukraine with the ridiculous amounts of Ukrainians emigrating for work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Somaen posted:

The Baltics being let into the EU had a funny effect on the far right where a ton of young neonazis packed up their stuff and left for the UK and Ireland to work bad manual jobs which made the capital city where I live much safer. I wonder if the EU partnership agreement had a similar effect on Ukraine with the ridiculous amounts of Ukrainians emigrating for work.

This sounds like BS. Why would they be more likely to emigrate?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mila kunis posted:

According to Sputnik News, yes, 99% of all Ukrainians are Banderist homonazis, and it's critically important to liberate the oppressed Russian minority by having the Red Army invade and annex most of Ukraine's territory.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Rinkles posted:

People moving to UK & Ireland after us (Estonia) joining the EU was definitely a thing, but I never heard anything about them being neonazis, just youngsters looking to make more money by picking strawberries or plucking chickens.
For my generation - say people who have turned adult within this decade - the destination became Australia instead, to pick mangoes and drive trucks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angryhead posted:

People moving to UK & Ireland after us (Estonia) joining the EU was definitely a thing, but I never heard anything about them being neonazis, just youngsters looking to make more money by picking strawberries or plucking chickens.
For my generation - say people who have turned adult within this decade - the destination became Australia instead, to pick mangoes and drive trucks.

Wait, there's an easy way for Estonians to work in Australia?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Rinkles posted:

People without a tertiary education and no skills were more likely to emigrate because the difference in wage for manual labor jobs between Eastern Europe and the UK was much larger 10 years ago than now. "No education and no skills" just happens to cover neonazis, at least those that went to my school and now live lower-middle class lives somewhere in England.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Wait, there's an easy way for Estonians to work in Australia?

Not specifically, no.
I was never really tempted so I never looked into it, but I think most people use a "working holiday" visa, meaning they have to work at a farm for X time at the beginning to be able to stay for longer.
Most of my friends came back after a year or so, but a few have stayed for 5+ years.
The initial investment is pretty steep (probably around a thousand for the visa and one-way flight) for a young Eastern European but it's a "safe choice" in the sense that you've probably heard a million stories and have a bunch of people to ask "how was it?" from if it sounds good to ya.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angryhead posted:

Not specifically, no.
I was never really tempted so I never looked into it, but I think most people use a "working holiday" visa, meaning they have to work at a farm for X time at the beginning to be able to stay for longer.
Most of my friends came back after a year or so, but a few have stayed for 5+ years.
The initial investment is pretty steep (probably around a thousand for the visa and one-way flight) for a young Eastern European but it's a "safe choice" in the sense that you've probably heard a million stories and have a bunch of people to ask "how was it?" from if it sounds good to ya.

I see. Still, kind of weird destination, +50 C temperatures and everything trying to kill you.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ой ком ова хирь мает! :australia:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This was Prague today.

https://twitter.com/SeznamZpravy/status/1142822053671821312

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Angryhead posted:

Not specifically, no.

Theres heaps of eastern europeans, Mongolians, Chinese and Irish coming to Australia for construction jobs at the moment as well.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

I went to english-speaking twitter for this and the amount of brain worms is amazing.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

In preparation to crash the Kyiv pride parade, neonazis spent their weekend... packing poo poo from port-a-potties.
Before being arrested.

https://twitter.com/kapitandna/status/1142769710993461248

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/strng/status/1142872050035564544

"Why won't he call?"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In other light-hearted EE news, Latvia's Immediate medical help service (state medical ambulance organization) did helpfully remind everyone celebrating midsummer day (which was yesterday, and is the largest national holiday of the year here) that shashlik is a choking hazard.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic block EU decarbonization legislation. Thanks guys.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/climate-change-2050-eu-eastern-europe-carbon-neutral-summit-countries-a8968141.html

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

:shrug:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

I was also surprised by the Czech Republic being on there... Poland/Hungary, not so much.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

We're gonna use our god given :coal: till you rip it from our cold dead hands.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that a protest? About what?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Our prime minister being a corrupt fucker and an idiot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xarn posted:

Our prime minister being a corrupt fucker and an idiot.

By that standard, pretty much the entire world should be on strike.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I agree, Babiš doesn't seem to be much better from Latvia either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shy posted:

I don't think far right has had strong positions in the recent years, where are you getting that from?

"Ukraine is controlled by Neo-Nazis" is one of the few talking points that Russian disinformation agencies actually managed to successfully spread in the wake of Yanukovich's ousting. Combine it with casual racism against Eastern Europe, and you get a whole bunch of this bullshit even among supposed progressives.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Poland is a complete shithole and lately not a day goes by when I'm not deeply ashamed of my country

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

#GlobalGeneralStrike sounds like a good idea

Terminally Bored posted:

Poland is a complete shithole and lately not a day goes by when I'm not deeply ashamed of my country

I emigrated from Russia when it was still the USSR (right at the tail end as the Iron Curtain came down in bits and pieces). Its not improved in any way and its frustrating to talk about because its also a giant shithole with a few pockets of relative "stability".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

"Ukraine is controlled by Neo-Nazis" is one of the few talking points that Russian disinformation agencies actually managed to successfully spread in the wake of Yanukovich's ousting. Combine it with casual racism against Eastern Europe, and you get a whole bunch of this bullshit even among supposed progressives.

Controlled is definitely a gross over-exaggeration, but they are given a significant leeway from time to time. And I'm not talking about how WWII events are taught in schools now or portrayed in media, or even torch processions in remembrance of UPA soldiers. Although there is maybe some ideological basis, the main reason is probably that various political groups use them for their own gains. Far-right protesters have recently destroyed Zhukov's bust in Kharkiv, for example. And it's impossible to say who profited from that more politically. On one hand, it's a signal to Western Ukraine that decommunisation is working, and the police can't do anything about it. On the other hand, Kernes (mayor of Kharkiv) and Trukhanov, East and South-East-oriented politicians, use the same event to bolster support for their just created party, and they have ties to Kolomoyskyi, who is in turn connected to Avakov, who is said to be patron of those far-right protesters. And that's just one even and one far-right group.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I emigrated from Russia when it was still the USSR (right at the tail end as the Iron Curtain came down in bits and pieces). Its not improved in any way and its frustrating to talk about because its also a giant shithole with a few pockets of relative "stability".

Yeah I know that isn’t true man even if Putin sucks. Btw I have travelled and while certainly there is still plenty of inequality, the country isn’t suffering like it was in the 1990s.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Sounds like you guys need to get started then :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Yeah I know that isn’t true man even if Putin sucks. Btw I have travelled and while certainly there is still plenty of inequality, the country isn’t suffering like it was in the 1990s.

The 90s are an unreasonably low bar.